Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 07:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
support for this to the DOT
actually like it dirt. but there are a cpl narrow sections that could use widening. I would support that
Old 03-03-17, 07:31 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
So far no regrets about shelving the Montare's Winter Marathons. I rode my 30 mile loop twice this week and my 25 mile loop twice with the newish Roubaix. Thursday was predictably windy and oh so cold. Friday was cold but without the 20 MPH head and cross wind. Summer attire last week, full winter attire this week, at least no rain!
Old 03-05-17, 07:07 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2017 Motobecane Lurch, 2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Was pretty darn cold riding along the Mystic river today, that breeze off of the water made for quite a chill even with winter riding gear on. Only managed to stay out for a quick 10 mile circuit.

It was a little too early in the season for any plants to be out at the Home Depot garden center. Circuit City abandoned building in the background.
Old 03-06-17, 09:47 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 904 Posts
Took the LHT for 10 miles on the Minuteman this evening, temperatures falling through the 30s, but no wind except that made by the bicycle proceeding through the night air, a mercy after recent days. The Schwalbe Marathon Winters crackled cheerfully on the pavement, providing nothing but sound effects in return for their additional weight and rolling resistance, but somehow this didn't seem burdensome tonight, and reminded me of the first 7,000 miles or so I put in on the LHT with a doughty set of Continental Contacts, before I drank the Bicycle Quarterly kool-aid and started running light tires with supple casings. To be fair, I think even those Contis rolled better than the Schwalbes...

Hurry, Spring!

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-07-17 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 07:27 PM
rholland1951

Today was arguably the First Day of Spring... the last, too, at least for a few days, if you believe the forecasts. I took the LHT out for a sunset ride to Lexington, enjoying the benign conditions.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-08-17 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-08-17, 07:51 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Rod, you might passed me this evening one way or the other. I commuted on the Raleigh yesterday and today. Yesterday I got home pretty late, thankful for having LED lights. This evening I was earlier and passed through sunset as rode the MM from Bow St to Alewife. It was a pretty evening. Yesterday was supposed to be rainy but I saw essentially none. Today I did get rained on in the morning but the evening run home made up for it.
Old 03-09-17, 08:23 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thought I saw an article today that they were going to extend it to Concord

In case anyone is interested in expressing support for this to the DOT, here's how:

actually like it dirt. but there are a cpl narrow sections that could use widening. I would support that
It is a delightful short recreational dirt trail, but usable only part of the year when there haven't been any recent rains.

The conversion to a commuter trail might actually open up more recreational use.

But most significantly, just extending it to the Concord line bypasses half of Route 62.
If Concord extends it to Lowell Rd then it becomes a complete bypass of Route 62.

THAT - IS - A - BIG - DEAL.

We often forget how few people are willing to ride on roads like Route 62 , particularly during rush hours.

(I might miss the delightful quiet loop around the John Glenn Middle School however. Just a bit though.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-09-17, 09:24 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

be nice to have a 62 bypass from Stow to Burlington
Old 03-09-17, 09:48 AM
mr_bill

There are several nice ways to get from Stowe.

However, Burlington's 62 might be the best of the worst in Burlington. Bit of a desert except for the accidental forest.

-mr. bill
Old 03-09-17, 09:58 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by anx
Everyone and their grandmother was out on the Charles river trails today, joggers, dog walkers, casual bikers and canoers.

Sorry for the Facebook Link, but... https://www.facebook.com/SomervilleBi...55066501827974

Beacon Street bicyclists- please be very cautious on the protected bike lane. The intersections at the cross streets are tricky in this interim state and some motorists are not fully stopping before crossing. Also sight lines are not great due to parked cars at the corners. We are working towards improving these conditions. We recommend going slow- about 10 mph and being hyper aware at the cross streets. Also construction will be starting soon as the protected bike lane is brought up to its final condition and as work begins on the protected bike lane on the Poster Sq bound side. Eversource will be digging up sections of Beacon between Washington St and Inman causing some traffic back-ups. Try out our detour routes- they are pretty good!
https://www.somervillema.gov/sites/de...-inman-map.pdf
https://www.somervillema.gov/sites/de...porter-map.jpg
Old 03-09-17, 12:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
There are several nice ways to get from Stowe.

However, Burlington's 62 might be the best of the worst in Burlington. Bit of a desert except for the accidental forest.
Personally I like riding Rte 62 (but usually on weekends) at least between Danvers and Maynard. In 2008, soon after joining Bike Forums, I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This summer I did various segments of Rte 62, from Maynard to Danvers and I thought it was a great cycling road. In about three decades of riding around Metro Boston, I don't recall riding it before, but most of my cycling is to the south and west, in areas likely well known to Sherbornpeddler. It was nice to find new locales
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
New locales is right and long routes like 62, 125 and 108 are easy to follow and rider friendly.

Rubel maps are good but I am not a fan of stopping for reading glasses, folding and forgetting routes.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-09-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-09-17, 12:12 PM
rumrunn6

Burlington's 62 might be the best of the worst in Burlington. Bit of a desert except for the accidental forest
it's a nice ride for me. reg the forest, are you referring to this?

Save the Burlington Landlocked Forest
Old 03-09-17, 07:12 PM
anx
Funky Chicken

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2017 Motobecane Lurch, 2002 Trek Multitrack 7100

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry for the Facebook Link, but... https://www.facebook.com/SomervilleBi...55066501827974

Beacon Street bicyclists- please be very cautious on the protected bike lane. The intersections at the cross streets are tricky in this interim state and some motorists are not fully stopping before crossing. Also sight lines are not great due to parked cars at the corners. We are working towards improving these conditions. We recommend going slow- about 10 mph and being hyper aware at the cross streets. Also construction will be starting soon as the protected bike lane is brought up to its final condition and as work begins on the protected bike lane on the Poster Sq bound side. Eversource will be digging up sections of Beacon between Washington St and Inman causing some traffic back-ups. Try out our detour routes- they are pretty good!
https://www.somervillema.gov/sites/de...-inman-map.pdf
https://www.somervillema.gov/sites/de...porter-map.jpg
Thanks for the warning, I noticed the cycling detour signs around earlier this week and followed them, Dane St was busier than i expected with 4 wheeled traffic.
Old 03-11-17, 07:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Just this morning, I posted this to the Touring Forum, and perhaps the MetroBoston crowd might find it amusing:
Originally Posted by jeff400650
I'm taking off on another 2 day trip tomorrow

I've been doing these fun rides lately... Pick a cool town about 50 or 60 scenic miles away. Book a nice room near town. Ride there (in my case, with my dog along). And then have my wife drive there to meet for a nice, romantic night on the town. It takes her an hour or two, to drive to where it takes me and my 20LB dog to get in a leisurely 6 hours or so. Some fine dining. A hike. Shopping. Maybe live music.

Next morning, charming breakfast, etc... Then I ride home, usually a different route.

It has been great. I get two days of serious riding, and she gets fun little get-a-ways close to home. We are exploring towns near us that we would otherwise never spend a night in, except that for a cyclist, it is a day'sjourney.

Healdsburg, CA. a few weeks ago
Halfmoon Bay, CA. a couple weeks ago
Tomorrow, Guerneville, CA. Staying at a place built in 1905. Cabins on the Russian River.

I guess you could call it short range, luxury touring with a spousal inclusion component.

Anyone else into this kind of thing? Or lucky enough to have a girl that will do the rides with you?
I quoted your post in its entirety because I have thought about such rides for a long time... A couple years ago I thought about making up such list for weekend getaways, as you described, and posting to the local Metro Boston thread. We live in downtown Boston, and can go out in all directions (except eastward into the Atlantic Ocean). So for here on the Right Coast, counterclockwise, such destinations would be:
  • Newburyport, MA (did a mutual cycle trip there once)
  • Portsmouth, NH
  • Nashua, NH
  • Lowell, MA
  • Worcester, MA
  • Providence, RI (did a car weekend trip there)
  • Plymouth, MA (one mutual cycle trip there).
One other destination,within the ring of towns listed, is Cape Ann, about 40 miles north of Boston. Just this year, as I recently posted:
Recommendations for bike vacations like Cape Cod?

Besides Cape Cod and the Islands (Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket), Massachusetts also has “the Other Cape,” Cape Ann, and I recently posted:
...In addition, for the first time we bought a second home in a resort town on a nice cycling route 40 miles long north of our condo in downtown Boston. The region is also good for road cycling,and train service with the fully assembled bike is readily available.I described it in my Cycling Guide to MetroBoston as
…North Shore: Beautiful Atlantic coastline, especially north of Lynn, to include Nahant, Marblehead and Marblehead Neck, on through Salem,Beverly and into ritzy Beverly Farms, and up to seafaring Gloucester, Rockport,Ipswich, etc…
So one could travel by train [and/or bike, in either direction] from Boston to Rockport…which itself is an interesting walkable resort town, including beaches.

Rockport is on Cape Ann on the North Shore, and known as Boston’s "Other Cape," in distinction to Cape Cod, which begins at about 80 miles from Boston, with no train service, requires crossing one of two bridges with horrendous traffic jams on the summer weekends, and is best traversed by car.

Just last night I was chatting with a colleague who has a vacation home on the off-Cape Cod Island of Martha’s Vineyard. They have to plan their weekends months in advance to secure car passage on the ferryboat.

ADDENDUM: Parking in the center of Rockport is extremely limited [we have on-site parking], and visitors who drive there often have to park a couple of miles away and be shuttled into town by bus. Rockport as a convivial tourist destination was featured in the movie Coma (but not as the scary part).
I tweak Cape Cod in comparison to Cape Ann partly in response to the query of that original post, and partly because a quintessential romantic getaway song was sung by Patti Page in 1957:

"If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quaint little villages here and there
(You're sure) You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod
(Cape Cod, that old Cape Cod)...

"If you spend an evening you'll want to stay
Watching the moonlight on Cape Cod Bay
You're sure to fall in love with old Cape Cod..."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-11-17 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-12-17, 06:40 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Lots of ambition to ride but not much actual riding. Just a tad bit too cold to extract enough enjoyment. I did swallow my words and begrudgingly put the Winter Marathons back on the Montare.
Old 03-13-17, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
begrudgingly put the Winter Marathons back on the Montare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
predicted for Tues 3-14-17.jpg (98.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 03-13-17, 04:43 PM
rholland1951

A lingering chest cold gives me an excuse to stay indoors lately (though I do see shoveling in my immediate future). Has made it a little more straightforward to find time to work on the Ebisu build, however. Saturday was cold and windy, so I was indoors, wrenching rather than riding.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-13-17 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 08:27 PM
rholland1951

After 10 days off the the bike with the cold that we're all taking turns with, was able to take the LHT up to Lexington this afternoon, in daylight for once. Temperatures were falling through the 30s, and there was more wind than was absolutely desirable, much of it expressed as a headwind on the return leg. Big, energetic sky today, frisking ahead of the next storm.

The trail surface was in great shape.

Winter...

I was seeing hints of Spring in the willow tops; hope attaches to whatever object presents itself.

There were patches of ice under the bridges at Forest Street, Park Ave., Drake Street, and Maple Street. My studded tires were grateful for this justification, however minimal.

We'll see what tomorrow's snow brings. Winter is overstaying its welcome.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-18-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 08:18 AM
Ghazmh

After almost 2 weeks of an involuntary hiatus I finally resumed Grocery shopping on the Montare with the Nomad in tow yesterday. The past 2 weekends were just too cold. I also got out on the newish Roubaix for a much awaited 30 mile spin. Roads were clear enough, although the veneer of sand, salty crust and god knows what else makes a 2 month old bike look like it was brought up from the depths of the Atlantic. Nothing a 10 minute cleaning won't dissolve after today's ride.
Old 03-20-17, 06:50 PM
rholland1951

On the principle that Spring had sprung, I took a ride up to Lexington Center on the vernal equinox on the Minuteman on the LHT. I could go on, but... The low 50s did manage to feel somewhat vernal, if only by comparison to some of the barbarous weather we've had lately, and apparently will be having again soon enough. But no matter, I was out there flirting with the sunset, the darkness and light in equipoise, and something was singing in Great Meadow. I sang a little song, too, though I fear it was a murder ballad...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-23-17 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Enable images for the Firefox browser (undo Mr. Google's practical joke).
Old 03-20-17, 07:19 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts

I like the Minutemanhenge pic.
Old 03-21-17, 03:58 AM
rumrunn6

sang a little song
pics not showing for me for some reason
Old 03-21-17, 06:44 AM
rholland1951

pics not showing for me for some reason
What browser are you using?

rod

Wait, I can duplicate the problem. Google pushed out some changes, and I got bit. Anyone using Firefox won't be able to see the images, probably. Will try to fix on my end. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-21-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-21-17, 06:52 AM
rholland1951

Test.

Ok, I know how to fix the problem...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 03-23-17 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-21-17, 07:04 AM
rumrunn6

whatever you did worked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.