Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 06:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,048 Posts
Had a long, long, long day, started work at 2 am, reporting server crashed, worked through that, had way too many before holiday meetings, and signed off way too late. So I got in 37.5 and 1.3K of climbing inside. Now I am off to walk the dog and the food and then bed.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-24-24, 06:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,093 Times in 1,974 Posts
Tried to net so non slacker miles, but a double puncture going thru tread then the sidewall. Oooof.
plugged the holes that the sealant was having a class III with, & pumped it up once to keep the rim from bottoming out.
All in all, 77 miles.
Old 05-24-24, 07:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked 5,896 Times in 3,029 Posts
Recovery ride. 17 flat miles in Zone minus 3. Average HR was 102 BPM and average speed 13 MPH. Haven’t just puttered along at that speed in decades but was kind of relaxing. Today’s highlights:

Baby goat

How now white cow

Came over for a pet

Rainey wet day off and on

Last edited by rsbob; 05-24-24 at 08:15 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-24-24, 07:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Troul
Tried to net so non slacker miles, but a double puncture going thru tread then the sidewall. Oooof.
plugged the holes that the sealant was having a class III with, & pumped it up once to keep the rim from bottoming out.
All in all, 77 miles.
That sounds just horrible...

Old 05-24-24, 09:08 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
That sounds just horrible...
if it were not tubeless, I'd had to toss in the towel.

Everything is FMC now. Going to need to order some more futures replacement items...
Old 05-25-24, 08:37 AM
HectorStorm

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 24 Posts
Apperknowle and back round trip - again. I tried this very tough climbing route again just 24 hours later to see if there's a difference in performance or if I didn't give it enough recovery time.

Distance: 12.41 miles
Moving time: 01:08:54
Moving Avg Spd: 10.8mph
Max Speed: 39.0mph

0.1mph slower because of wind obivously.
Likes For HectorStorm:
Old 05-25-24, 03:26 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 436 Posts
Bunch of rides all week - 2 notable(for me)

Accelerate to elevate on Zwift. 42 miles with Alpe d’Zwift. Did 50 min of FTP intervals on the Alp. I was fully gassed at the top - dead.

30 miles early this AM on the local farm roads, set PB’s for 30 and 40k, and I wasn’t going full gas.

Tomorrow AM will be a Z2 metric.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-25-24, 06:38 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
First ride since last September. 11.0 miles. Pretty windy heading out. Body not used to it that is for sure. Hopefully I can stay with it this summer into the fall.
Likes For macattack71:
Old 05-25-24, 07:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

26 miles with 1000’ climbing. Low key day.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-25-24, 09:40 PM
jaxgtr

I opened the garage ready to head out, then I hear my wife screaming at the dog in the back yard. I go see what is going on, and I see the dog has destroyed a squirrel based on what was left of the tail. So ride was over before it started. I cleaned up the dog and that is when I realized that the squirrel on his way out, took some dog ear with it, so off to the vet to check him out. He was fine, but had to get some stiches and they decided they need to do some test on what is left of the carcass to make sure the squirrel was not tainted. Yea that was fun going back to the house to collect.

On a side note while I was waiting on the dog to be released, I went to the bike shop and bought a set of Bontrager Aeolus Pro 37v's for my Domane. They were already reduced by Trek trying to get rid of extra stock, and the shop gave me some additional savings since they were in stock and they were having a holiday sale so it was a no brainer. I run these same wheels on my CheckPoint and I really like them, especially the 108 point engagement. I had to order a XDR freehub since that hub runs a different internals than the Pro51's I am running now. So no ride, but some new wheel.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-26-24 at 09:34 AM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-26-24, 09:42 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 436 Posts
64 miles today, Z2/easy Z2. 17.4 mph.

Probably a first for me - didn’t stop/put a foot down for the entire 100k.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-26-24, 10:04 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 154 Posts
Headed out for my longer weekly ride, but due to lack of sleep, overeating or having too many last night I felt I would end up in ER or worse, so decided to turn off riding app and ride a couple of miles locally.

Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 05-27-24, 11:37 AM
jaxgtr

Got in 90.5 miles. Did 4 loops on one of the gravel routes I ride. It was really hot, humid, and windy, and the last lap was tough going, so I moved into the "make it back to the truck" mode and it took 9 mins longer than the avg of the first 3.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-27-24, 12:40 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Got in 90.5 miles. Did 4 loops on one of the gravel routes I ride. It was really hot, humid, and windy, and the last lap was tough going, so I moved into the "make it back to the truck" mode and it took 9 mins longer than the avg of the first 3.
nice!
I swear one of these days a mosquito will be my uber back to the vehicle if the humidity keeps it up!
Old 05-27-24, 02:58 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Troul
nice!
I swear one of these days a mosquito will be my uber back to the vehicle if the humidity keeps it up!

LOL.... yea, we had some heavy rain a few days ago, and the flying biting critters were quite heavy where there was tree cover and bushes, of which on days like this, is not enough. One of the guys I was riding with got a flat and moved out of the sun as we were starting to melt, but after a few mins, decided the sun was not all that bad.

Old 05-27-24, 11:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Call of shame

Have a big ride coming up next weekend and decided to do some hills (not like Sierra - who is in a whole different league) and see what the bike needs in advance. First thing I notice is no power numbers. Do a ‘Connect’ for the sensor - but no love. Rebooted Garmin and still no luck. Has to be a dead battery. Ride a very conservative 36 miles with 2,700’ with some of the punchier ones 12-14% *PR one of them) and am 2-3 miles from home on a nice downhill and I can feel the rear tire go down and the sickening rim on rubber sensation. Pull over and find the tiny hole and orient it to the lowest position for sealant to do its thing and again no love. Not enough sealant in the tire. The hole was so small a plug was far too large. So make the call. (A cyclist stopped to offer help, but the other half was already on her way).

The real kicker, was that I was going to top off the sealant on Wednesday, since I was already two months overdue. Hate not finishing a ride, but now I know better than to put off refreshing sealant. Silver lining -> While looking over the tire, I saw it was below the wear dimples, so the tire is going to be replaced anyway.

Moral to the story, Don’t be like me and put it off.

Old 05-28-24, 01:26 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 3,158 Times in 1,710 Posts
out of town 36-spot.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-28-24, 09:10 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 673 Posts
17 miles as a recovery workout from yesterday’s run. I rode most days this last week after realizing that I had lost a lot of cycling strength by running instead. The remedial week has definitely helped, I felt very much at ease on the bike this time.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-28-24, 09:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by ofajen
17 miles as a recovery workout from yesterday’s run. I rode most days this last week after realizing that I had lost a lot of cycling strength by running instead. The remedial week has definitely helped, I felt very much at ease on the bike this time.

Otto
Running is the devil’s spawn. (Written by a reformed - and often injured runner)

Old 05-28-24, 09:50 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Have a big ride coming up next weekend and decided to do some hills (not like Sierra - who is in a whole different league) and see what the bike needs in advance.
Flying Wheels? I assume you'll do the 100 mile ride.
Old 05-28-24, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Flying Wheels? I assume you'll do the 100 mile ride.
yes indeed to both. And you too? Since the highest mileage I have done this year is 50, I plan to take it VERY easy, conserving energy as much as possible so I can finish/finish strong.

I rode a few of the climbs yesterday to gauge pacing.

Did Fly Wheels in my 30s a few times and the mission was to get it done in 5 hours or less. Now my mission is to finish without being wrecked.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-28-24, 10:49 AM
Troul 

Have a big ride coming up next weekend and decided to do some hills (not like Sierra - who is in a whole different league) and see what the bike needs in advance. First thing I notice is no power numbers. Do a ‘Connect’ for the sensor - but no love. Rebooted Garmin and still no luck. Has to be a dead battery. Ride a very conservative 36 miles with 2,700’ with some of the punchier ones 12-14% *PR one of them) and am 2-3 miles from home on a nice downhill and I can feel the rear tire go down and the sickening rim on rubber sensation. Pull over and find the tiny hole and orient it to the lowest position for sealant to do its thing and again no love. Not enough sealant in the tire. The hole was so small a plug was far too large. So make the call. (A cyclist stopped to offer help, but the other half was already on her way).

The real kicker, was that I was going to top off the sealant on Wednesday, since I was already two months overdue. Hate not finishing a ride, but now I know better than to put off refreshing sealant. Silver lining -> While looking over the tire, I saw it was below the wear dimples, so the tire is going to be replaced anyway.

Moral to the story, Don’t be like me and put it off.
don't muc around skimping on how much sealant is used.
fwiw, I've switched from stans regular notubes sealant to the race & noticed that the barf like chunks actually works wonders if enough of the liquid is present. I've always put a gulp more in the rear & a swig above "recommended" in the front for a few personal reasons & only noticed one downside... which is slightly more cost.

Did 77.5 miles after the initial atmospheric rivers flowed. Got caught in a moiiist 2nd cloud release, but it was kinda ok as the route I would take wasn't feasible & dumped me onto a "packed" dirt path that was gooey mud like substance... rain wasn't effective unfortunately. So now I get to disassemble some sections to get that nasty gritty gunk out.
the city needs to address that problem as it was very slippery & would suction cup anything that would try going thru it... maybe another friendly message will do the trick?.... doubtful.
Old 05-28-24, 11:19 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 1,055 Times in 673 Posts
Running is the devil’s spawn. (Written by a reformed - and often injured runner)
I transitioned to minimal shoes first, then started running. Lots of good feedback to adapt my gait to proper form on various surfaces. No injuries, no pain. And I run at most 3x per week, so plenty of recovery.

Otto
Old 05-28-24, 12:53 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 230 Posts
yes indeed to both. And you too?
Nope. The weather is always so iffy for that event. I will be doing the 65 mile Cycle Chelan ride later in the month, STP two day, only my second time doing that one. Will ride to Longview making Sunday a short 53-56 mile ride. Then I'll ride my 8th or so RAMROD which will be on 4 September this year. It will also be a different course this year. We ride in the opposite direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.