Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 03:54 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 260 Posts
And who REALLY cares if the brakes group-match whatever else is on the bike, if it makes the bike into one that you like riding?

Obviously, I am firmly on the frankenbike side here. But I’m also on the “ride and enjoy your bike in whatever way works” side, too. This entire huge thread is about that concept.

There are so many varieties of great working components, like the Tektro brakes previously mentioned, that will keep our bikes and us happy and safe on the road.
Old 12-08-17, 04:05 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 187 Posts
I fit a set of recessed brakes on a nutted frame by using the front brake on the back, and then using a bolt coupler inside the front fork. I had to grind the coupler down a bit to make it fit but basically it just extends the length of your bolt. a bit of lock tight and you are golden.
Old 12-09-17, 09:58 AM
kylarr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Here is a late 70's early 80's Colnago Super that a friend of mine gave me. It was pretty much a wreck when I got it. Stuck seatpost and stem that had both been sawed off in their tubes and had to be die ground out. Also lots of rust and spray paint. I sold off the campy record bits that it came with and sent it off to Franklin Frames for a repaint with the proceeds. This is a spare parts build. Changed the seatpost to a super record fluted one and plan to throw some carbon tubulars on it if I find the right set.

IMG_2322 by leland gibson, on Flickr

IMG_1776 by leland gibson, on Flickr

IMG_1773 by leland gibson, on Flickr

IMG_1777 by leland gibson, on Flickr
Old 12-09-17, 10:14 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
@kylarr Just wow!
Old 12-09-17, 10:29 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,157 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@kylarr Just wow!
Agreed.
Great restoration!
Brent
Old 12-09-17, 11:12 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 570 Times in 316 Posts
Very nice restore. I think your downtube cable stops are upside down.
Old 12-09-17, 11:59 AM
kylarr

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@kylarr Just wow!
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Agreed.
Great restoration!
Brent
Thanks! It was fun getting back into old road steel. I pretty much sold off all my other vintage stuff because my interests had switched to this:

IMG_2338 by leland gibson, on Flickr

Untitled by leland gibson, on Flickr

Originally Posted by Narhay
Very nice restore. I think your downtube cable stops are upside down.
Thanks for that. For some reason I always put them on that way. Maybe a lead issue on a bike from long ago? Looking at pictures through this thread, I'm on my own.
Old 12-09-17, 02:47 PM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long story but bottom line is that in a few days I'll be receiving the components below in the mail. They came off what I believe to be an early 1990's Wheeler road bike. Owner knew nothing about them other than they are all Campagnolo except for the shifters and brake levers. Being a Shimano guy myself, I know next to nothing about Campy components as well.

My question is, would this group set be a good candidate for an Ergo setup? @nesteel, what is your opinion of these on the 930 frame? How do these compare to a Dura Ace setup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
imagejpeg_0.jpg (375.7 KB, 853 views)
Old 12-09-17, 03:40 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 115 Posts
That appears to be an A/B Chorus rear derailleur. Not Ergo index compatible, IIRC. Honestly, I'd just pick up a complete group, and if you have to pick up some silver Tekro, or other aftermarket, nutted calipers, so be it. If you go 9 speed, you could use Shimano hubbed wheels (spacing is close enough you'll have no issues), and save a little coin as the Shimano 8/9/10 hubbed wheels are cheap as dirt now. Heck, you can ever convert 7speed hubs to a newer freehub dirt cheap.
It's important to be patient, educate yourself, and shop smart. Earlier this year, I snagged a complete Veloce 9 group, including wheels/tires/cassette, for $200 shipped. Add in the Veloce compact crankset, and I'm riding a decent Ergo group with gearing that won't make me suffer, for a whopping $300.

Last edited by nesteel; 12-09-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 04:20 PM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of going with Shimano. I've always avoided Campy due to the prices but given the opportunity to get all of these components for just the cost of shipping I couldn't say no. Will definitely keep my eyes open and be patient with group for the 930 build.

Originally Posted by nesteel
That appears to be an A/B Chorus rear derailleur. Not Ergo index compatible, IIRC. Honestly, I'd just pick up a complete group, and if you have to pick up some silver Tekro, or other aftermarket, nutted calipers, so be it. If you go 9 speed, you could use Shimano hubbed wheels (spacing is close enough you'll have no issues), and save a little coin as the Shimano 8/9/10 hubbed wheels are cheap as dirt now. Heck, you can ever convert 7speed hubs to a newer freehub dirt cheap.
It's important to be patient, educate yourself, and shop smart. Earlier this year, I snagged a complete Veloce 9 group, including wheels/tires/cassette, for $200 shipped. Add in the Veloce compact crankset, and I'm riding a decent Ergo group with gearing that won't make me suffer, for a whopping $300.
Old 12-09-17, 06:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11100 Post(s)
Liked 7,703 Times in 4,289 Posts
Originally Posted by kylarr
Here is a late 70's early 80's Colnago Super that a friend of mine gave me
Love the repaint color. Better than original.
Old 12-09-17, 10:53 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 2,037 Times in 991 Posts
Here is a late 70's early 80's Colnago Super that a friend of mine gave me. It was pretty much a wreck when I got it. Stuck seatpost and stem that had both been sawed off in their tubes and had to be die ground out. Also lots of rust and spray paint. I sold off the campy record bits that it came with and sent it off to Franklin Frames for a repaint with the proceeds. This is a spare parts build. Changed the seatpost to a super record fluted one and plan to throw some carbon tubulars on it if I find the right set.

IMG_2322 by leland gibson, on Flickr
Man, that's gorgeous, and I agree with the others, prettier in color than the original. I chuckle at the 'spare parts build' comment only because I say that too, and both of our 'spare parts' (probably, like many here on BF) are really nice and are comprised of complete groupsets more often than not. A spare Record Carbon set, just lying around! Just like my Dura-Ace! In the end, spare or not, it looks proper and you have an old lovely bicycle back on her wheels again. As it should be.
Old 12-10-17, 02:41 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,157 Posts
Thanks! It was fun getting back into old road steel. I pretty much sold off all my other vintage stuff because my interests had switched to this:

IMG_2338 by leland gibson, on Flickr
Small world?

Here's the bike I ride the most this time of year:

Brent
Old 12-10-17, 03:52 PM
Nash Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Love this thread. So many awesome bikes.
Here's my '87 Ironman Expert. Cannibalized the parts from my other roadie.

This build is going to be short lived as I found a decent deal on a takeoff Rival 22 groupset. The 105 5800 will be going back on the donor bike. Longer stem and Soma Hwy One bars on the way also.
Old 12-11-17, 10:24 PM
kylarr

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Small world?

Here's the bike I ride the most this time of year:

Brent
Oh man! Nice bike! I had no idea how well a bike could be built to handle its given purpose till I rode my Lobster.
Old 12-12-17, 09:19 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gorgeous. What process for paint and prep? How long have you had it (in current form), and how is the paint holding up?

My frame isn't in bad enough shape to justify complete stripping and repainting, but I've been thinking about it just for a new look.

Old 12-13-17, 09:07 PM
kylarr

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Gorgeous. What process for paint and prep? How long have you had it (in current form), and how is the paint holding up?

My frame isn't in bad enough shape to justify complete stripping and repainting, but I've been thinking about it just for a new look.
My process for the paint was to strip the frame of parts, partially media blast the frame, then get distracted. Then, about six months later the process began again, with me this time boxing it up, writing a check for about $400 (super reasonable!) and sending it to Ohio. I got it back about a month later in the same box and built it up. I've had it like this since about July, so no idea how the paint will hold up longterm but it seems nicely done. A lot better than the last repaint I had done at a Seattle shop for about twice the price. I do it to a bike about every 5-10 years. It takes about that long to remember how expensive it is.

This is the photo I used as inspiration. I have always thought this was one of the prettiest bikes ever! I think this photo was from Bicycle Quarterly.

IMG_0159 by leland gibson, on Flickr
Old 12-14-17, 09:36 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
boxing it up, writing a check for about $400 (super reasonable!) and sending it to Ohio.
Ah. I didn't read carefully enough to see where you wrote that you had someone else paint it.
Old 12-15-17, 01:52 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
1983 Guerciotti with 1991 Chorus

], on Flickr
Old 12-15-17, 04:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Rock it!
Originally Posted by Nash Deluxe
Love this thread. So many awesome bikes.
Here's my '87 Ironman Expert. Cannibalized the parts from my other roadie.

This build is going to be short lived as I found a decent deal on a takeoff Rival 22 groupset. The 105 5800 will be going back on the donor bike. Longer stem and Soma Hwy One bars on the way also.
Old 12-18-17, 05:19 AM
johnggold

Bikes: Hetchins, Dawes, Raleigh, Holdsworth, Standard Cycle Co, and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Very Expensive

My process for the paint was to strip the frame of parts, partially media blast the frame, then get distracted. Then, about six months later the process began again, with me this time boxing it up, writing a check for about $400 (super reasonable!) and sending it to Ohio. I got it back about a month later in the same box and built it up. I've had it like this since about July, so no idea how the paint will hold up longterm but it seems nicely done. A lot better than the last repaint I had done at a Seattle shop for about twice the price. I do it to a bike about every 5-10 years. It takes about that long to remember how expensive it is.

This is the photo I used as inspiration. I have always thought this was one of the prettiest bikes ever! I think this photo was from Bicycle Quarterly.

IMG_0159 by leland gibson, on Flickr
I usually expect the USA to be cheaper than the UK, but I am amazed at the cost. A standard frame costs me 40 to 50 dollars to be stripped ready for painting. Mostly I powder coat which costs about the same again. Transfers cost between 20 and 30 dollars, and I apply them myself, plus luglining when needed.

Of course, that means that the results are single colour, unless frame and forks are different, but for most restores this is fine, as the decals and head badge provide the decoration. I never use chrome, now.

For really fancy frames, I invested in a small compressor and spray heads. Masking tape and pinstriping tape allow quite fancy designs. I don't have the skill level for shading and hand pinstriping, but as I mostly restore vintage frames I don't usually need to.

When I do have a fancy frame I use a local guy who normally paints motorbikes. Its worth looking locally, and the cost will be a lot less. My track record with sending frames long distance has not been good, with frames misaligned, and with poor paint jobs. With a local guy, you get to see it being worked on.
Old 12-19-17, 01:36 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 1,094 Times in 558 Posts
My son's 1989 Club Fuji. I found it at a yard sale about 10 years ago really cheap. The seat post was stuck and tires were rotten, ant the seat was shredded, but it had all the original parts. I got it road worthy, but my son was not a fan of the downtube shifters after crashing while reaching down to shift. I found a pair of 105 brake/shift levers for $5 at an antique mall, so I put those on. They were 8 speed and while they worked okay with the 7 speed hub, he needed better gearing, since he isn't in the flat lands any more. The crash mess up the rear wheel and I wasn't able to get it completely straight. Today I swapped in a set of wheels, found at another yard sale, with an 8 speed 11-30 cassette. The shifting is much better, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0103.jpg (770.6 KB, 1347 views)
Old 12-26-17, 04:07 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
My son's 1989 Club Fuji. I found it at a yard sale about 10 years ago really cheap. The seat post was stuck and tires were rotten, ant the seat was shredded, but it had all the original parts. I got it road worthy, but my son was not a fan of the downtube shifters after crashing while reaching down to shift. I found a pair of 105 brake/shift levers for $5 at an antique mall, so I put those on. They were 8 speed and while they worked okay with the 7 speed hub, he needed better gearing, since he isn't in the flat lands any more. The crash mess up the rear wheel and I wasn't able to get it completely straight. Today I swapped in a set of wheels, found at another yard sale, with an 8 speed 11-30 cassette. The shifting is much better, too.

There are many reasons I keep coming back to this thread, over and over. This post is one of them.

Perhaps some day your son will post here, as well. Way to go. Made my day.
Old 01-04-18, 09:04 PM
ksole7

Bikes: Trek 1200 Aluminum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Great find!
Old 01-05-18, 02:31 PM
jtbadge

Bikes: Newish steel.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Didn't like my Record 10 group, put a 5800 group on the MX Leader.

I'll probably put the greenwall Vittoria Open Paves back on, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.