Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 11:15 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
22 miles on the trails, late afternoon start and got home well after dark. There was ice on the ponds near home but the ground was not frozen. No mud.
Old 01-08-16, 02:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,474 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Anybody ever ride into Washington Square area, Greenwich Village? Ever stop at Joe's Pizza for a mid ride snack? Just wondering about their Italian sausage. That flavor is distinct and cannot find it in the West Coast.

Nothing fancy about Joe's but its been around since 1975 where you just get a slice whenever you want. But that flavor!!
Actually, Joe's is a very special place. It is a hole in the wall, but it's been written up for its superior pizza. I live nearby. We have quite a few really good pizza places around. Lombardi's and John's are both on Bleecker St, and they both claim to be the first pizzeria in New York. They're both outstanding and old fashioned. I recently ate at John's with a bunch of cyclephiles, and I had forgotten what a dump it is, but that doesn't matter. It's a sit-down place where they sell only pies, not slices.

We also have a small chain called Two Boots which is very good. I'm there often.

New Yorkers are really serious about pizza. Interestingly, the most popular kind is what we call plain, i.e. no toppings. I think it's called cheese in other parts of the country. I hear pizza isn't really worth having on the west coast, for the most part. I was not impressed in Seattle. I bought some pizza for a young Seattlite when she visited, and she just about melted into her chair.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-08-16, 07:31 PM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Actually, Joe's is a very special place. It is a hole in the wall, but it's been written up for its superior pizza. I live nearby. We have quite a few really good pizza places around. Lombardi's and John's are both on Bleecker St, and they both claim to be the first pizzeria in New York. They're both outstanding and old fashioned. I recently ate at John's with a bunch of cyclephiles, and I had forgotten what a dump it is, but that doesn't matter. It's a sit-down place where they sell only pies, not slices.

We also have a small chain called Two Boots which is very good. I'm there often.

New Yorkers are really serious about pizza. Interestingly, the most popular kind is what we call plain, i.e. no toppings. I think it's called cheese in other parts of the country. I hear pizza isn't really worth having on the west coast, for the most part. I was not impressed in Seattle. I bought some pizza for a young Seattlite when she visited, and she just about melted into her chair.
Well, it's January and I guess since few are riding we might as well talk about pizza.

I recall a west coast car trip from SF to Seattle, stopping at some cute little sea town in Oregon. Only place that looked interesting to eat was a pizza place in a strip mall. The used American cheese on the pie.

Awful. Just awful. Even 7-11 knows better.
Old 01-08-16, 07:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
Well, it's January and I guess since few are riding we might as well talk about pizza.

I recall a west coast car trip from SF to Seattle, stopping at some cute little sea town in Oregon. Only place that looked interesting to eat was a pizza place in a strip mall. The used American cheese on the pie.

Awful. Just awful. Even 7-11 knows better.
A number of years ago i was camping with the Boy Scouts near Storrs Connecticut. I took some of the boys to town to get some pizza, we ordered a Sicilian pie and they had no idea. I explained it was a square pie, so they brought out a round pie cut in squares. I asked for some garlic powder and they brought out some fresh garlic.

I guess it was better than Pizza Hut.
Old 01-08-16, 08:18 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I know everybody screams about Brooklyn pizza, but the best I have had - in all my 53 years as a New Yawka - is at Village Maria in Staten Island. The worst I have had in the Northeast is Mystic Pizza in Mystic, CT.
Old 01-10-16, 12:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,474 Posts
@Papa Tom, thanks for the tip. I'll try to bear it in mind. I haven't ridden my bike on Staten Island since the 70's, so it's time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-11-16, 06:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

N+1 strikes again.

I've been looking for a foul weather bike so I can extend my season. After searching online and hitting all the stores, I found this locally for a price too good to pass up. It's nicer than I wanted, but i'll make due.

2011 Scott CR1 Elite, full carbon, complete Sram Rival groupset and Mavic Elite wheels.

Hoping for another warmish day so i can take it out.

I still need to get a shorter stem and tweak the fit.
Old 01-11-16, 07:23 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's hardly a foul weather bike.

"It's nicer then I wanted but I'll make do". Yuk, Yuk !

You do realize that when we where talking about foul weather bikes, we meant something that'll take a 28mm tire ?. That's a nice size for riding on all the sand on roads in Feb. Just a thought.....

And as a spouse was known to ask her cyclist husband "Make sure you write down what you REALLY paid for the bikes, not what you told me you paid. This way when you're dead and buried I know how much to sell them for".
Old 01-11-16, 08:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

That's hardly a foul weather bike.

"It's nicer then I wanted but I'll make do". Yuk, Yuk !

You do realize that when we where talking about foul weather bikes, we meant something that'll take a 28mm tire ?. That's a nice size for riding on all the sand on roads in Feb. Just a thought.....

And as a spouse was known to ask her cyclist husband "Make sure you write down what you REALLY paid for the bikes, not what you told me you paid. This way when you're dead and buried I know how much to sell them for".
I was looking for a alloy frame with a carbon fork. The problem is I ride Sram and finding one was not easy. Also they were not much cheaper.

I plan on putting 25mm and might see if a 28mm fits.

My main requirement was a drivetrain that's cheaper to replace than my Sram Red. Rival cassettes are $45 and chains are $20.

As a few people told me, carbon doesn't rust. But if it's not up to the task, I can always sell it and easily get my money back.
Old 01-11-16, 08:19 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I was looking for a alloy frame with a carbon fork. The problem is I ride Sram and finding one was not easy. Also they were not much cheaper.

I plan on putting 25mm and might see if a 28mm fits.
Im told Conti's run smaller then stated. I've gotten very good mileage and years out of the Grand Prix 4 Seasons. Not cheap at Brands, but you can usually source them for $45 or so. Worth it as they last forever.
Old 01-11-16, 10:15 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Im told Conti's run smaller then stated. I've gotten very good mileage and years out of the Grand Prix 4 Seasons. Not cheap at Brands, but you can usually source them for $45 or so. Worth it as they last forever.
I'm gonna use the tires that are on it until they need to be replaced. Then i'll go for the Conti 4 Season. I'm sure i can go to Brickwell and see if a 28mm fits. If not, i'll put on 25s.
Old 01-12-16, 08:37 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

"It's nicer then I wanted but I'll make do".

Ha, that beater bike is nicer than my "good" CF Trek road bike.....but my winter bike can fit fenders so my heinie stays dry.

Good luck with it!
Old 01-12-16, 08:44 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by kaos joe
"It's nicer then I wanted but I'll make do".

Ha, that beater bike is nicer than my "good" CF Trek road bike.....but my winter bike can fit fenders so my heinie stays dry.

Good luck with it!
If it doesn't workout, i'll look for something else. I know I can sell it for that I paid for it.

I was looking for a used CAAD 8 or Allez but they didn't have Sram and they weren't much cheaper.
Old 01-13-16, 06:00 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't workout, i'll look for something else. I know I can sell it for that I paid for it.

I was looking for a used CAAD 8 or Allez but they didn't have Sram and they weren't much cheaper.
What size is it ?. Come sometime this spring, my buddy who broke his neck this fall on his mt. bike will be in the market for a road bike, nothing fancy. He's a 52/54 ETT sized.
Old 01-13-16, 08:45 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

What size is it ?. Come sometime this spring, my buddy who broke his neck this fall on his mt. bike will be in the market for a road bike, nothing fancy. He's a 52/54 ETT sized.
it's a 58cm.
Old 01-13-16, 08:45 PM
kaos joe

Another late afternoon into night trail ride, Evelyn Dr. access point up to Tower, one loop. Lights went on at 5pm and 30 seconds later, flat tire. I changed the tube without undo fuss but my hands did not enjoy those 10 minutes. I had intended to cut over on the Blue Dot trail back to the Greenbelt and return that way, but the flat cut into my intended return time.

The trails are frozen solid and traction is great. There was a nice sunset succeeded by a bright crescent moon. Get out there while it lasts.

Well, I tried to substitute a larger pic here, and have obviously failed.....I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
IMG_1081.jpeg (41.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1081.jpg (82.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by kaos joe; 01-15-16 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 08:13 AM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's a 58cm.
thx
Old 01-17-16, 02:17 PM
kaos joe

We had a group of 6 for a great ride out at Glacier. The trails are dry and in good shape. What an exhilarating place to ride.
Old 01-19-16, 08:09 AM
kaos joe

A very nice day.

Yes, very nice indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1086.jpg (93.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-23-16, 08:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Hoping to complete 40 miles today.

BTW... i'm in West Palm Beach where it's sunny and in the low 60's. I'll be heading home tomorrow to dig out, if my flight doesn't get canceled.

Be safe everyone.
Old 01-23-16, 09:24 AM
Papa Tom

Hoping to complete 40 miles today.

BTW... i'm in West Palm Beach where it's sunny and in the low 60's.
Y'know, based on your past ride reports, I actually believed you before I scrolled all the way down your post. Anyway, my guess is that there are REAL cyclists riding to work today somewhere in our area. Those are the ones I wish safety on.
Old 01-23-16, 02:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Only did 35 miles. It was 62* with the wind chill so I cut it short.

Hope everyone home is hunkered down for the duration.

Old 01-23-16, 04:11 PM
Papa Tom

Not much choice. We've got somewhere around 15" outside the door and my back is in total spasm from my first shoveling round.
Old 01-23-16, 05:04 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My worst nightmare right now is my snowblower will fail to start.

And yes, it's been checked this season and is ready, even bought high test gas, as I just saw on Ask This Old House that it helps the engine run better.

There's easily 18 inches here in SW Nassau, I'd bet Kaos Joe has even more, I thought I saw earlier that Massapequa already had 24 inches early in the day.

Not going to be on a bike anytime soon.
Old 01-23-16, 06:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I thought I saw earlier that Massapequa already had 24 inches early in the day.
Great, my wife was freaking out that i'm not there to dig her our. So i arranged for some kids to come and do all the shoveling for $50.... sidewalk, driveway, cars and back door. Well worth not f'ing my back up for weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.