Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Just started training with Power? Post your questions/comments here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 09:48 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
I mostly disappointed that it freaked out in the rain. Ive ridden and raced in the rain plenty of times and had zero issues..depending on what they end up doing, I wonder if putting an extra o-ring or something behind the battery compartment would help seal it a little better. They had me check to see if that was tight, which it was..but I didn't realize (and I probably should have but I guess ive never thought about it) that that spot could be a potential spot for water to get in
With one of the three that failed on me, the battery cap was fine. The leak was in the spider or electronics pod.
Old 05-20-15, 10:20 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Update, from Stages support: apparently some battery door covers manufactured in late 2014 were slightly oversized and could cause the kind of issues I'm having. Sounds like I have all the symptoms - difficulty installing or removing, and pulls the battery out when you remove it. I just assumed that happened because it was supposed to. So I'm guessing that a replacement battery door will soon be on its way.
New battery door and O-ring came. Still doesn't work. Damn. I have figured out a hack, where I basically used a spare O-ring as a shim between the battery door and battery to press it down more firmly. Clearly it's a battery contact issue related to the door, because this works. I have power data for now, but it's not something I want to rely on. The seal is probably compromised by doing this (though it might have been already). Back in touch with Stages support. This is frustrating!
Old 05-20-15, 10:40 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the pod cracked at all? Regardless, I expect they will send you a new crank arm.
Old 05-20-15, 10:57 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
With one of the three that failed on me, the battery cap was fine. The leak was in the spider or electronics pod.
Not so much the cap as the whole battery compartment. Its held on by a 2mm allen bolt and can be taken off, there is a little o-ring underneath it and a small entry point to the electronics...

Either way, I will see what they say with this email I just sent them.
Old 05-20-15, 11:00 AM
wens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a new stages arm yesterday. Cracked one of the battery door tabs in the pod. Clearly I have too many watts for this product.
Old 05-20-15, 11:09 AM
Panza
Keep calm, Cycle on

Bikes: Pinarello F8, Bianchi ∞, Colnago SS, Niner MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been using Garmin Vector S for 3 months now. Power was all over the place before, highs and lows. Even after recalibration and torque wrenching it. After a service update I feel that the pedals have better consistency and accuracy. I'm using my zones more (because I cant be bothered wearing a heart rate monitor all the time). Before I had completely trained through heart rate, but it's nice to have measurable data to visualize improvement gains.

In road racing & group rides, I will use the power meter and attempt to ride by threshold zones.
In cyclocross I will continue to use my heartrate monitor as getting on and off the bike and what not, doesn't lead to useful measurements.
Old 05-20-15, 11:15 AM
KingShakes

Bikes: Parlee Z5i

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
New battery door and O-ring came. Still doesn't work. Damn. I have figured out a hack, where I basically used a spare O-ring as a shim between the battery door and battery to press it down more firmly. Clearly it's a battery contact issue related to the door, because this works. I have power data for now, but it's not something I want to rely on. The seal is probably compromised by doing this (though it might have been already). Back in touch with Stages support. This is frustrating!
My Stages is kind of a pain in the ace as well. I got a replacement battery door and o ring for this season, and everything was working fine but the battery drained pretty quick. Replaced the battery before my races this weekend and of course it dropped out mid race both times. Battery does come out with the door when it is opened, but I used a screw driver to pull the contact away from the casing to hopefully force it to contact more securely. I then inserted the battery coming from opposite the contact side and pushed toward the contact. It worked fine last night after that, we will see. This new firmware update better make the battery last longer.
Old 05-20-15, 01:11 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Is the pod cracked at all? Regardless, I expect they will send you a new crank arm.
No. I can't see why it's started acting up like this. It was fine for five months, I left for vacation, came back a week later and it was all but non-functional. And yes, I hope they'll send me a new or something. Still waiting on a reply from my latest email telling them that the fix didn't work.
Old 05-27-15, 08:10 AM
Wylde06

Quarqs customer service that is supposedly amazing isn't so much. I called them last week because mine got wet and offset went to -3000. They had me check the battery compartment to make sure it was tight and asked for the offset (which finally went back to positive numbers). I explained to them originally what the offset has been over the last year and that it hasn't varied by much from ride to ride. They told me to log my offset over the next couple rides, and it has been anywhere from 80 to 230...135-150 is normal. I emailed them back yesterday and have yet to get a response from them. Im going to call them this afternoon if I don't get a response because this is starting to piss me off.

When I told them it was -3000 they should have been right on top of things
Old 05-27-15, 08:19 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I know you've already got a Quarq and so this might just sound like I'm rubbing it in, BUT if you're in the market for a power meter in the future, Powertap/Saris Customer Service is ridiculously good. They've helped me sort out (minor) powertap issues, replaced a 5 year old trainer that started leaking for free, and were willing to give me a crazy deal on a new front rim rebuild after this weekend's crash because the hub is powertap, even though the rim is reynolds. They've been nothing but awesome every time I've dealt with them, and my understanding is they're coming out with a crank/chainring based power meter sooner than later. Also their g3 hubs are entirely weatherproof, I've thrown pretty much everything possible at them and the offset/accuracy hasn't changed and the hubs still spin smoothly.

Again, not rubbing it in, this is just in case you're going to be in the market for a power meter sooner than later.
Old 05-27-15, 08:28 AM
Wylde06

Im not too big on getting a powertap..I have 3 sets of wheels and unless I could find a couple hubs cheap it would end up being too much. They do have good customer service..my friend basically gave me his fluid2 trainer and after a couple years it sprung a leak. They replaced the resistance unit for free even though I wasn't the original owner.
Old 05-27-15, 09:55 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Quarqs customer service that is supposedly amazing isn't so much. I called them last week because mine got wet and offset went to -3000. They had me check the battery compartment to make sure it was tight and asked for the offset (which finally went back to positive numbers). I explained to them originally what the offset has been over the last year and that it hasn't varied by much from ride to ride. They told me to log my offset over the next couple rides, and it has been anywhere from 80 to 230...135-150 is normal. I emailed them back yesterday and have yet to get a response from them. Im going to call them this afternoon if I don't get a response because this is starting to piss me off.

When I told them it was -3000 they should have been right on top of things
If it's urgent, always call. FWIW, i hear they fixed the problem last year with a newer model, a good three years after it first started to surface.
Old 05-27-15, 11:34 AM
Wylde06

Just got off the phone with them. They said since the drift isn't anymore than 50 on a single ride that the numbers I am seeing are healthy...

5/21 - preride 175, postride 210
5/22 - 190, 210
5/23, morning ride - 175, 186, afternoon ride 181, 184 mid ride, 186
5/24, 99, 136 midride, 130

I told him that after I did the firmware update last year it was always between 135 and 150 with very little drift pre/post ride. He didn't seem concerned. He did tell me to do a reset using 2 pennies in the battery compartment for a few seconds..so I guess I will try that next...
Old 05-27-15, 11:58 AM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got off the phone with them. They said since the drift isn't anymore than 50 on a single ride that the numbers I am seeing are healthy...

5/21 - preride 175, postride 210
5/22 - 190, 210
5/23, morning ride - 175, 186, afternoon ride 181, 184 mid ride, 186
5/24, 99, 136 midride, 130

I told him that after I did the firmware update last year it was always between 135 and 150 with very little drift pre/post ride. He didn't seem concerned. He did tell me to do a reset using 2 pennies in the battery compartment for a few seconds..so I guess I will try that next...
I'm on my third Quarq spider. Both times I've emailed in the data file showing the issues, and some ballpark calibration numbers showing the crazy high drift. I also always state that I've already replaced the battery/tightened the cap,reset the system. Both times I've had a new spider in under a week from the initial phone call.
Old 05-31-15, 03:00 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Question for those who know more than I do, I've seen this particular powertap wheel posted on CL Powertap CycleOps on BontragerHub&RaceLiteRim w/Michelin Krylon 700x23 and not sure whether this is a wired or wireless model, I'm only generally familiar with powertap but not specific models. Is this a reasonable deal or would you expect this particular model to be priced differently?
Old 05-31-15, 03:06 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yellow cap Powertaps are the oldest. I'd stay away. It looks like a wired model but the pictures are so crappy it's hard to tell. If it comes with the LYC, you will need a mount, speed sensor, and wiring harness.
Old 05-31-15, 03:07 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
thanks!
Old 06-02-15, 08:21 PM
Wylde06

Peak 60 minute NP from tonights club race would suggest I bump FTP 10 watts. (my quarq has settled and has been calibrating fine since the freakout)

What say you 33, would you?
Old 06-02-15, 08:26 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peak 60 minute NP from tonights club race would suggest I bump FTP 10 watts. (my quarq has settled and has been calibrating fine since the freakout)

Based on NP, no. What does your average power suggest?
As I'm sure you already know, a few short intervals of very high power is enough to throw off the NP when the average was actually lower than FTP.
Old 06-02-15, 09:45 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd be hesitant to bump FTP based on NP data.
Old 06-02-15, 10:11 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

That was pretty solid 15s power!
Old 06-03-15, 04:22 AM
Wylde06

After thinking about I'm not going to make any changes right now.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
That was pretty solid 15s power!
There was a beer prime at stake.

I won the beer prime.
Old 06-03-15, 06:17 AM
Wesley36

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Based on NP, no. What does your average power suggest?
As I'm sure you already know, a few short intervals of very high power is enough to throw off the NP when the average was actually lower than FTP.
FWIW, there are people who know a lot more about training with power than I do who would disagree

TL;DR - there is more than one way to skin a cat, no way is perfect, more than one way is best

Alex's Cycle Blog: The seven deadly sins
Normalised Power (from a Hard ~1hr Race)
#4 is pretty handy, particularly as an indicator of when a rider's FTP may have changed. Frequently riders who do not do time trials, but do other races such as shorter road races or criteriums of approximately 1 hour duration, can use this as a crosscheck of their current FTP. Assuming the race was hard (that is, you were pretty much on the limit for most of the race), and you were not overly fatigued beforehand, then the 60 minute maximal Normalised Power should be at least at your FTP if not a little higher (up to about 5% higher). If your 60 minute Normalised Power is reported as more than 5% above your FTP, then that is a strong sign that your FTP needs re-setting (upwards).
Alex's Cycle Blog: The Sins of Sins (Testing FTP #2)
Sin of Sins #6 – 95% of a 20-min mean maximal power = FTP
Well, this method of establishing FTP isn’t one of the listed Seven Deadly Sins in the first place, but it has become such a commonly referred to/utilised method (mainly due to its publication in the excellent book, Training and Racing with a Power Meter) that it gets its own SOS number.

Firstly, the main issue with this common Sin of Sins is that the ratio between 20-min power (or other similar shorter TT duration power) and FTP is not the same for everybody, and neither does the ratio remain static for an individual. One should recognise that due to several factors, not least of which is the contribution of anaerobic capacity and the exact protocol used (e.g. performing a pre-ride blowout effort), that the ratio is likely to be within a range and where someone is within that range is anyone’s guess.

So, FTP might be anywhere in the range of, say 90% to 98% of 20-min max average power. Personally, my FTP has been at both 92% and 96% of my then 20-min max average power. So, by all means use 95% of 20-min max power as a starting point but remember it may well be out by some margin and it would be wise to use an additional or alternative method to validate your FTP estimate.
Old 06-03-15, 01:00 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
so I've been training with power for 5 years, lamenting that I can never reach the AP in a race-hour than I can in an hour hillclimb, but never look at NP/EP/XP whatever system you use.

I just went to cycling analytics and tabbed the power chart to EP (his version of NP) and the past few races had 1 hour NP of like ~360. The AP I hit on Palomar this year was 370. My flat 1-hour AP max this year has been 320.

NP is where it's at!
Old 06-03-15, 01:11 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit NP numbers in crits that are consistently 30-40 watts over where I think my FTP is. There's no way that I could do an hour average at some of those NP numbers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.