Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 03:17 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It looks like the bars WILL fold down once you get the front wheel turned in more. don't have a Dual drive birdie but I do have a dual drive wheel for one. I will have a look.
There is a fold adjuster near the seatpost tube to alter a few millimetres the final resting postion of the rear section of the bike. That may be worth looking at. Does the front wheel lock by the tyres on the bolts inside the front forks ok?

Finally you can take off the cover of the click box to give a tad more space, like I did on my mezzo. But you should not need to do this on a production birdie.

Last edited by bhkyte; 03-26-16 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 04:08 AM
desastar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhkyte
It looks like the bars WILL fold down once you get the front wheel turned in more. don't have a Dual drive birdie but I do have a dual drive wheel for one. I will have a look.
There is a fold adjuster near the seatpost tube to alter a few millimetres the final resting postion of the rear section of the bike. That may be worth looking at. Does the front wheel lock by the tyres on the bolts inside the front forks ok?

Finally you can take off the cover of the click box to give a tad more space, like I did on my mezzo. But you should not need to do this on a production birdie.
Yes the handlebar post will fold down IF the front wheel CAN turn more BUT it can't as the clickbox is in the way. I've had fiddled with it and it looks like there's no way. Pity really.
Old 03-26-16, 06:02 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looking at my birdie I can see how the clickbox would get in the way. I cant see a way round it other than fold adjustment. Although it cant have been an issue on the standard bike. Clickbox is removable not the sort of thing you want to do every time.
Old 03-26-16, 06:15 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looking at this picture it looks like the click box is detached to fold if you look carefully. You might find removing the body of the clickbox suggestion of mine worth a go. Have a look at my dual drive mezzo threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160326_120539.jpg (84.0 KB, 218 views)
Old 03-26-16, 07:43 AM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at this picture it looks like the click box is detached to fold if you look carefully. You might find removing the body of the clickbox suggestion of mine worth a go. Have a look at my dual drive mezzo threads.
Thanks Bhkyte. That would work but would also be a pain. I have discovered a more practical method, not fold in the front wheel fully so that the the axle will be below the clickbox. That means the front wheel will drop out when the folded bike is lifted up. I'm using a velcro strap to tie the wheel to the frame. This dual drive installation must have been an after-thought for the Birdy. There is no way I'll be using this bike to catch the bus or train, much too fiddly!
Old 03-26-16, 12:09 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You might find taking the cover off on the click box gives you enough space.
I did this on a dual drive mezzo and sloved a simular problem.
Old 03-26-16, 03:25 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Could the back wheel fold more, or less, to make a spot for the front axle bits?
Old 03-26-16, 07:12 PM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't think you had a choice with the back wheel? It has to be lifted before the seat post can be lowered?
Fitting my spare 20" wheels and go 10 speed dropping the dual drive might be an option.
Old 03-27-16, 01:32 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The dual drive is fab. I would keep it and find a solution.
Old 03-27-16, 06:33 AM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I have to agree. This is my third dual drive equipped folding bike. I guess I can always use a piece of rope to tie it all together, LOL
Old 03-27-16, 09:30 PM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Birdy owners who have panniers on the expedition rack, how do you secure the pannier bags at the bottom?
Old 03-28-16, 01:23 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I had the folding rack, and a set of Deuter panniers. It was fixed with the standard pannier hook on the mudguard stay.
Old 03-28-16, 01:27 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Doesn't show the bottom hook, just for info...
https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t.../KI/day211.jpg
Old 03-28-16, 03:53 AM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jur, ah so the rack and mudguard should go together. I don't suppose the small amount of movement in the suspension will affect the bottom hook?
Old 03-28-16, 04:01 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
That is very astute of you. I saw the pannier wearing but it took me a while to realise it is due to the relative movement of the rack to the wheel and mudguard strut.
Old 03-28-16, 05:32 AM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nah, just been looking at the "problem" for too long and looking for a solution. Design flaws are plenty with this bike but it rides nice!
A nice rubber strap replacing the hook might be the way to go.
Old 03-28-16, 07:30 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by desastar
Nah, just been looking at the "problem" for too long and looking for a solution. Design flaws are plenty with this bike but it rides nice!
A nice rubber strap replacing the hook might be the way to go.
The hook wasn't a problem; the rubbing of the mudguard strut against the back of the pannier was. The strut being soft aluminium and being in the firing range of road dirt, quickly eroded until I put a clear PVC tube around it. The back of the pannier likewise was damaged somewhat. That said, I traveled the absolute worst possible roads on it - Kangaroo Island, maost roads were gravel, with corrugations from car suspensions, which exercised the Birdy suspension maximally, plus the gravel kicked up exercised the pannier-strut interface under this severe condition. Overall, the Birdy handled it fine, and I found when going faster than 20km/h, the suspension soaked up the corrugations almost completely.
Old 04-10-16, 06:33 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re dual drive click box folding issues.
I had a look at new Birides with a dual drive setup at LBS.
They had a toggle chain, not a click box. And therefore folded fine. It was more modern than a sach type arrangement. Is this the shimano version of dual drive?
Is it possible to convert the changer rod? I dont see why you need a click box other than its smoother, less friction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160410_133619.jpg (78.9 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 04-10-16 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 11:17 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Re dual drive click box folding issues.
I had a look at new Birides with a dual drive setup at LBS.
They had a toggle chain, not a click box. And therefore folded fine. It was more modern than a sach type arrangement. Is this the shimano version of dual drive?
Is it possible to convert the changer rod? I dont see why you need a click box other than its smoother, less friction.
Sachs IS a pull chain arrangement (Sachs 3x7) .. SRAM Dual drive is a click box .. the hubs are different.. the threaded rod of the Dual Drive engages much further into the hub than the pull chain of the Sachs ... too bad when you were at the LBS you didn't look to see who made the hub..
Old 04-10-16, 11:23 AM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi bruce. I am aware of the differences between sach and sram re the click box. I dont see why the sram would not work with a toggle chain? I know the rods are different. It may be a mod required.
I will have a look next time at make. But I expect someone here can tell us.
Old 04-10-16, 01:53 PM
BruceMetras

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I dont see why the sram would not work with a toggle chain? I know the rods are different. It may be a mod required.
Unscrew the chain from your Sachs.. unscrew the rod from the SRAM .. try screwing the chain into the SRAM .. you'll see the problem .. not that it couldn't be worked out, I just put it on the back burner as I was going to do just that.. Birdy still advertises their Dual Drive as a SRAM on their website, and I see the drive side nut with pull chain coming out, so perhaps there is a commercial replacement for the clickbox.. if you find it, let us know.. beats the hell out of trying to cobb something up..
Old 04-10-16, 02:17 PM
bhkyte

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes I have tries my sach in the sram. It does fit. I do have another toggle chain that sort of fits my sram. I dont know where I got it. I guess if the thread is right and its long enough to get out the hub it does not matter.
I will have a look. I had a LBS that had some really old stock years ago maybe I got it there. Never tired replacing the click box it, as I had a work around on my mezzo. I dont have a sram birdie. I do have s sash dual drive wheel I may fit in future.

Last edited by bhkyte; 04-10-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-10-16, 05:18 PM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. The chain setup will no doubt be more durable than that plastic clickbox. The little cover keeps dropping off. May be a possible mod.
I've found the gearing too low and have replaced the cassette and the RD to a road 105. Works OK but I suspect the chain needs to be narrower as it seems to snag and jumps two gears at the same spot. This change seems to have freed up bit more room for the fold. Once I have the replacement tyre on, I shall try and see if further fiddling is required. I may just add that Pacific chain tensioner for a neater fold.
Old 04-10-16, 05:36 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
i've had my SRAM DD for about 1.5 years, and the click box had never fallen off. quite surprised actually at how sturdy it is given the tales of woe out there...
Old 04-10-16, 10:39 PM
desastar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
i've had my SRAM DD for about 1.5 years, and the click box had never fallen off. quite surprised actually at how sturdy it is given the tales of woe out there...
Not the clickbox but the cover at the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.