Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Ron Cooper Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Ron Cooper Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 06:03 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 197 Posts
hlloydcycles.com has headbadges and black or white downtube and seat tube decals now. I've ordered some and will post pictures when they arrive.
Old 07-22-10, 12:59 AM
masispecial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 21 Posts
Ron Cooper test from Cycling Weekly

Dated April 1, 1972

Last edited by masispecial; 07-26-10 at 03:01 PM. Reason: because its better this way
Old 07-22-10, 01:21 AM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pogliaghi

This is my brothers Ron Cooper - I am trying to get him to build it up. BTY it is a frame and fork - serial #007 1/2 as in 007.5!
Man... that's gorgeous. If your brother won't build that up and ride it, beat him up and take it.
Old 07-22-10, 08:54 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
Man... that's gorgeous. If your brother won't build that up and ride it, beat him up and send it to me.
fify

Old 07-22-10, 10:03 AM
Pogliaghi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
Man... that's gorgeous. If your brother won't build that up and ride it, beat him up and take it.
Yep I agree! I think he would like to build it up with 50th Anniversary Campy parts - we will see. BTW the 1/2 actually means it was one of two built for a bike shop in California. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the shop or what happened to the other frame.
Old 07-22-10, 04:43 PM
cranky old road 

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Originally Posted by Pogliaghi
Yep I agree! I think he would like to build it up with 50th Anniversary Campy parts - we will see. BTW the 1/2 actually means it was one of two built for a bike shop in California. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the shop or what happened to the other frame.
Is this the place and the other frame?
https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bik...le-Odyssey.htm

Last edited by cranky old road; 07-22-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 07:34 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I don't know anything about Ron Coppers except they were always desirable, well built frames.

Last edited by dbakl; 07-22-10 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 02:16 AM
masispecial

Originally Posted by cranky old road
Is this the place and the other frame?
https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bik...le-Odyssey.htm
If it is not A Bicycle Oddyssey, maybe Cycle Dynamics in Santa Rosa?
Check out this CR List posting from Cycle Dynamics owner Paul Brown.
Old 08-02-10, 02:29 PM
cranky old road 

Got the decals from HLloyd a couple of days ago. They are cut vinyl and look nice as far as I can tell through the mounting films. I didn't look closely at the catalog images and descriptions so I'm disappointed that the seat tube transfer is just "COOPER" rather than "RON COOPER" as my bike originally had. Also I remember my head badge as having the large "C" with "ooper" emerging from it rather than "cooper" emerging as it does on the repro. What do your folks head badges look like? I haven't complained to Nick at HLloyd as I am pleased to have the transfers, but if there is a consensus about the head badge difference I might let him know. The white decals are almost impossible to see in the photo against their white backing. The head badges still have the film on top. TT, the head badge measures ~2 5/8 " top to bottom.

Old 08-04-10, 03:52 PM
masispecial

Cranky
My headbadge, which I think is from a mid-80s US repaint, is as you describe: big 'C' ,small 'ooper'

Same thing on this seat tube decal from an original '70s frame that was offered on ebay a couple of years back

BUT, on delving further, it seems that 80's Coopers have headtube decals like the one you have been supplied

Last edited by masispecial; 08-04-10 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more information
Old 08-04-10, 04:42 PM
cranky old road 

Originally Posted by masispecial
Cranky
My headbadge, which I think is from a mid-80s US repaint, is as you describe: big 'C' ,small 'ooper'

Same thing on this seat tube decal from an original '70s frame that was offered on ebay a couple of years back

BUT, on delving further, it seems that 80's Coopers have headtube decals like the one you have been supplied
Thanks. I wonder if I should replace my home made head badge with the "store-bought" one that has a more authentic gold background but is for the incorrect time period? Reminds me of when I was Chef Poissonier at a hotel that hosted the annual US Rolls Royce rally. Many of the cars lacked hood ornaments because, I was told, only a "Spirit of Ecstacy" from the correct year would do.
Old 08-04-10, 05:20 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
I'm sure it would look better with the brake cables routed behind the bars.
Old 08-04-10, 08:04 PM
masispecial

Radio interview with Ron Cooper

From The Bike Show
Old 08-27-10, 08:37 PM
timc11

Bikes: 2 old steel lightweights - a ron cooper and a condor, a trek 2300 and a bianchi track bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hoping for some advice - I inherited a beautiful Ron Cooper that was my Grandfather's. It has been bouncing around various Ohio garages for almost 25 years now, so it will be a restoration project. Because this will be my first attempt at restoring an old bike, I was hoping for some advice. My plan is to strip the components and get the frame repainted to begin. Any advice on how old the frame is or any additional suggestions are welcome. I'm hoping to salvage and restore as much of this as possible - the goal would be to get it shiny and in the condition that my Grandfather would have ridden it in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Last Import - 09..jpg (96.5 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg
Last Import - 10..jpg (100.8 KB, 521 views)
Old 08-28-10, 05:20 AM
cranky old road 

Originally Posted by timc11
I was hoping for some advice - I inherited a beautiful Ron Cooper that was my Grandfather's. It has been bouncing around various Ohio garages for almost 25 years now, so it will be a restoration project. Because this will be my first attempt at restoring an old bike, I was hoping for some advice. My plan is to strip the components and get the frame repainted to begin. Any advice on how old the frame is or any additional suggestions are welcome. I'm hoping to salvage and restore as much of this as possible - the goal would be to get it shiny and in the condition that my Grandfather would have ridden it in.

I would avoid repainting unless it really needs it. The paint looks pretty good from here. Looks like it has Campagnolo NR components. There should be a year stamped onto the top of the rear derailleur. I'm guessing '72 - '80ish because it has the NR rear derailleur and the front derailleur looks like the redesign with the boxier pivot point and circlip. What was the last year for NR RD?

Last edited by cranky old road; 08-28-10 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Age estimate confusion
Old 08-28-10, 01:33 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old road
hlloydcycles.com has headbadges and black or white downtube and seat tube decals now. I've ordered some and will post pictures when they arrive.
+1, You beat me to it!

Nick Tithecott at H Lloyd cycles in Penrith can supply all the decals you need. The decals are the best quality I've ever found and the instructions are very clear.
Old 08-28-10, 01:40 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Here's the link to H. Lloyd cycles:

https://www.hlloydcycles.com/
Old 08-28-10, 02:21 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I'm sure it would look better with the brake cables routed behind the bars.
Have never been a fan of behind the bar cables... they have been shortened up and the plan is to install some Zeus levers to go with the new Zeus 2000 brakes.
Old 08-28-10, 05:42 PM
timc11

Bikes: 2 old steel lightweights - a ron cooper and a condor, a trek 2300 and a bianchi track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I discovered that the frame serial number was 504 after spending most of the afternoon stripping the parts off. Any idea what year the frame is?
Old 08-28-10, 06:49 PM
cranky old road 

I discovered that the frame serial number was 504 after spending most of the afternoon stripping the parts off. Any idea what year the frame is?
I haven't been able to find any serial number to year correlation so far. The serial numbers and years already posted on this thread haven't made much sense to me. Do you have reason to believe that the components are not original to the frame? Were you able to find the year on top of the rear derailleur? It should say "Patent ##" the ## signifying "19##" for the year of manufacture.
Old 08-28-10, 08:31 PM
cranky old road 

Pricey52 cm frame for sale on eBay
https://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-70-s-Ron...item3a5e30bfe3
Old 08-28-10, 08:33 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
If that were a bit larger, I'd be sorely tempted.
Old 08-29-10, 04:52 PM
timc11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Cranky - the Campy says Patent 73, so I'm guessing that narrows it down a bit. I'm not sure when the frame was ordered versus when it was built up. I may actually try and call the shop - have you ever tried to do that?
Old 08-29-10, 05:36 PM
cranky old road 

Thanks Cranky - the Campy says Patent 73, so I'm guessing that narrows it down a bit. I'm not sure when the frame was ordered versus when it was built up. I may actually try and call the shop - have you ever tried to do that?
I bought mine used from a fellow who bought it in England, so no shop to call, but I did write to Ron Cooper once. The letter came back as having a bad address after several months. I'd taken the address for his shop from somewhere on the web. My serial number is 69 and my derailleur is Patent 70.
Old 08-29-10, 09:16 PM
masispecial

As Cranky says, there seems to be no clear corelation between serial numbers and date of build.
If Ron Cooper built only 200 frames a year, he would get to 999 in only five years, and I am yet to see a Ron Cooper with 4 digit frame number.

In a earlier post I suggested a timeline for Cooper frames based on braze ons, lug and BB type and some variations on lug cutouts and adornments.
Given your frames almost total lack of braze-ons, my guess is that it is no newer than the 1973 dated rear derailler, maybe a couple of years older.

If it was mine, I would clean it up and leave the paint in its slightly dilapidated glory. As Brain Baylis has said, "You only have original paint once".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.