Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New To Me Bike Day! Quick question about forks/handlebars/headset rattle on bimos

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New To Me Bike Day! Quick question about forks/handlebars/headset rattle on bimos

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-22, 02:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7706 Post(s)
Liked 3,632 Times in 1,913 Posts
if you got a 55-cm frame, judging from the geometry numbers i saw from earlier investigations, you have like a 575 top tube? (As someone said, apparently LeMonds are long and low by design.) It looks like you are maxed on spacer stack, but you have all kinds of stem options.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Standover has almost no bearing on fit - there was a time when that was a standard for some, but that time has long passed. Hip position relative to the bottom bracket and stack and reach are the important factors.
This is really where it is at.

Use whatever approximation method to set initial seat height (Heel on pedal with leg fully extended (down and forward, not bottom dead center) is a decent starting spot) and set the seat height.

First you want to stand the bike next to something solid, about waist high---I use the washer and dryer. Put something like a milk crate or bucket on one side (Obviously not the washer/dryer side) and sit on the bike, holding yourself up by standing one foot on the milk crate (or bucket, or small, very obedient child or pet .... your choice.) The ball of your foot should fall easily on the middle of the pedal. Rotate the pedals. At some point you should feel naturally comfortable all through the pedal process. Move the seat back and forward a little bit and try again. You might have to make minute altitude adjustments (down as you go back further) but don't stress .... after riding a while you will likely modify everything slightly.

As @WhyFi states, seat to BB position is paramount. This is where you get that balance between comfort and power while avoiding damage.

Once this is set, you shouldn't need to mess with it much ....

Once you have the seat pretty much in place, swing your body forward into approximately your preferred riding position. Don't get overly optimistic based on what the pros do ... most people are much more comfortable riding more upright---but do whatever you think will work for you. When you have the lean---and hopefully your core muscles can support you at least briefly in that position, or you are going to pay once you do some miles---then let your arms swing naturally down and forward. See where your hands land relative to the bar----you might not even be touching the bar, but notice are they an inch above or behind or where, relative to the bar. Wherever your hands fall is pretty much where you want the hoods to be .... depends on whether you like to ride the hooks or the hoods or half on the hoods or whatever, but you will want the bars to meet your hands, not your hands to reach for the bars.

Then start playing around with a ruler and protractor .... stems come in pretty much a range from zero degrees to six or seven, to ten on up to about 17 degrees as I recall--and they are reversible. The angle is measured off the steerer, not off the horizon, so a zero stem is actually aiming up. What you have on the bike is probably a minus (plus) six or seven---and most likely you can flip it over and gain a little height and do a test fit for free. Remember that when the stem is parallel to the horizon--like a minus seven--it is as far from the seat as possible. Raising it up shortens the reach, if only marginally.

Or whatever. You can set up the bike however you like. Just, to me, you got a really nice machine at a dream price (supposing there isn't some hidden damage) and I'd hate to see you not get max enjoyment from it.

Also, the longer we can get you to stick around, the more snarky comments we can make.

Last edited by Maelochs; 10-15-22 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-15-22, 02:33 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
My suggestion would be, since you're going to get a fitting, level the saddle first, and set the saddle height by putting your heel on the pedal at the most extreme reach, and set the saddle so your leg is straight. This will put you in the ballpark for saddle height, assuming you put the ball of your foot over the pedal spindle - in the first pic your leg looks too straight at the bottom of the stroke.

Then ride it a bit, just a couple miles maybe, today and tomorrow, to see how that feels. Then go ride with your friends on Monday, and take note of what feels "off". That'll help with the fitting.

I think that the frame will work for you. In the first picture, you look really upright, like the bike is way too short front-to-back, but your leg is too straight at full extesion, which makes me suspect that MAYBE you have shorter legs and longer torso.
You are spot on. I have pretty short legs and a long torso. So maybe it will work time will tell. Maybe I'll ride after Tennessee beats Alabama today
Old 10-15-22, 02:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10607 Post(s)
Liked 12,225 Times in 6,267 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
You are spot on. I have pretty short legs and a long torso. So maybe it will work time will tell. Maybe I'll ride after Tennessee beats Alabama today
Hey, if that's the case, and it's a Lemond with a long top tube relative to the seat tube, you should be good to go!

Myself, I'm the opposite - long legs, short torso - but I also have long arms so apart from having a long enough seatpost, I fit a standard bike from 57-59cm CtC pretty well.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-15-22, 02:53 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

It's not too small. You are mistaken. And responding to the double post. So...wrong and and stupid. Bad combo. Go back to sleep.
Old 10-15-22, 03:01 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I am a basketball on giraffe limbs. No seat tube is long enough, no top tube is short enough. And still I make it work. @RoadWearier is in fine shape.
Old 10-15-22, 03:13 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
Ok this is from mid crank to seat post insert. If you want to believe the bike is too small then I don't know what else to say. Maybe I had a growth spurt at 52 years old I dunno...and yes the tape looks slack because I only have two hands but that's where it marked off. Slightly over 57cm.
The measurement (as I mentioned earlier) is to the center of the top tube. You have a 55cm frame. I believe the bike is a 2004 (they only made this model in 2003 & 2004), though the geometry on Lemond bikes didn't change much, or at all, in most cases through the Trek-owned years. Your effective top tube is 56.5cm..is in the neighborhood for a 5'10" guy. (a 56cm square frame, seat tube and top tube of 56cm, is about right for 5'10"-5'11").

Lemond frames are said to be long, but this often is exaggerated...or at least glossed over & generalized. In the smaller sizes they can be a bit long..as they get larger they have pretty typical seat tube vs top tube lengths. The graphic below is from the 2004 Lemond tech manual for the Arrivee model(the numbers are virtually or exactly the same for all the higher end steel/titanium road bike models):

The 2003 tech manual has some discussion of Lemond's philosophy with respect to fit, starts on page 31 I think:
https://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fis...nualLemond.pdf
Old 10-15-22, 03:23 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Thanks for the info. The diagrams I have seen measure from mid crank to seat post insert. Not top tube.

I realize that's a mountain bike, but I've seen similar diagrams for road bikes

According to your pdf, a 55cm would be for someone who is 6ft. That is pretty inconsistent with most of the info online
Old 10-15-22, 03:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked 1,982 Times in 1,414 Posts
Well . . ..maybe the pic was just taken at a bad angle. And I'm massively in favor of young women taking up cycling. In any case, sorry for your bad into to BF.

My bike fit primer is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
That'll get you plenty close enough to see if the bike will work for you. In fact it might be all you need to do before riding it for the first few hundred miles. Or possibly all you need to do.
Old 10-15-22, 03:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked 7,546 Times in 3,036 Posts
Let's talk about that gearing instead ...

Originally Posted by fishboat
Old 10-15-22, 03:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10607 Post(s)
Liked 12,225 Times in 6,267 Posts
Thanks for the info. The diagrams I have seen measure from mid crank to seat post insert. Not top tube.

I realize that's a mountain bike, but I've seen similar diagrams for road bikes

According to your pdf, a 55cm would be for someone who is 6ft. That is pretty inconsistent with most of the info online
CTC is more standard for bikes with level top tubes, because different bikes have different heights of seat collars, though some manufacturers - including, apparently, Lemond - use CTT. And nowadays with sloping top tubes both are nearly meaningless.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-15-22, 04:22 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What's wrong with the gearing?
Old 10-15-22, 04:26 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well . . ..maybe the pic was just taken at a bad angle. And I'm massively in favor of young women taking up cycling. In any case, sorry for your bad into to BF.

My bike fit primer is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
That'll get you plenty close enough to see if the bike will work for you. In fact it might be all you need to do before riding it for the first few hundred miles. Or possibly all you need to do.
Good stuff.makes sense that fine tuning seat fore/aft can impact a lot. I'll take a closer look after the game. I'll go on a short 10 mile ride tomorrow and see how it feels before I do anythingDunno if you saw, but the previous owner changed both the stem and put on narrower handlebars as he felt too spread out. "Like Superman" was the term used.
Old 10-15-22, 04:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4021 Post(s)
Liked 7,546 Times in 3,036 Posts
What's wrong with the gearing?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the gearing.
Old 10-15-22, 04:43 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

You wanted to talk about the gearing. Usually that implies something amiss. Sorry if I misunderstood
Old 10-15-22, 06:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 5,780 Times in 2,916 Posts
You have an unpleasant attitude for someone who needs so much help. Nevertheless, let us know how your first group ride goes on Monday..
Old 10-15-22, 06:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 5,780 Times in 2,916 Posts
Suck Creek, Sand Mountain and Burkhalter Gap. The old 3 State 3 Mtn course will let you know if the gearing works for you.
Old 10-15-22, 06:32 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

You have done nothing but give me crap about my posts and I have an unpleasant attitude. Uh ok. Here's a thought. Don't chime in on my posts and you don't have to worry about my unpleasant attitude. Go troll someone else. Thanks in advance
Old 10-15-22, 07:34 PM
Maelochs

Gearing is pretty normal for a race /road bike back in the day .... a little high for most riders and a lot of terrain.
Old 10-15-22, 08:11 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

It may well be. Can't be any worse than riding 35 miles with the group on a single speed. That was rough. I also can tell if I want to ride a wider tire Immay have a problem
Old 10-15-22, 08:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7123 Post(s)
Liked 11,288 Times in 4,820 Posts
I have a LeMond from the same year -- 2004. Same gearing: 53-39 cranks, 12-25 cassette. When I got into big climbing events, I went nuts and put a 12-27 cassette on it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-15-22, 10:46 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Unpainted titanium and clean welds. mmmmmmm mmmmmmm goodness

looks great
Ok this is from mid crank to seat post insert. If you want to believe the bike is too small then I don't know what else to say. Maybe I had a growth spurt at 52 years old I dunno...and yes the tape looks slack because I only have two hands but that's where it marked off. Slightly over 57cm.
Old 10-16-22, 07:00 AM
RoadWearier
Banned.

It's a purty bike for sure. In my newbie ignorance that's what it came down to. I could have gotten a slightly newer carbon fiber bike with roughly similar components (well ok 105) but I liked that this was different from all of the power ranger graphic laden carbon fiber bikes. And it's metal and as everyone knows, METAL Rulez!!
Old 10-16-22, 07:58 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 199 Posts
You have done nothing but give me crap about my posts and I have an unpleasant attitude. Uh ok. Here's a thought. Don't chime in on my posts and you don't have to worry about my unpleasant attitude. Go troll someone else. Thanks in advance
Pro tip

Don’t respond to negative nellies, they post to get a rise and you give it to them.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 10-16-22, 01:12 PM
RoadWearier
Banned.

Yes. Good advice. It's a shame there are some douchoids on here because some of this advice is actually good.

Fwiw I just finished a 36 mile ride without pain or discomfort so I guess I'd take the negative comments with zero grains of salt
Old 10-16-22, 01:16 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Fwiw I just finished a 36 mile ride without pain or discomfort so I guess I'd take the negative comments with zero grains of salt
Like stand-over clearance, a problem-free 36 mile is a nice start, but doesn't necessarily tell you much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.