Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Get paid to ride your bike (Strava users only)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Get paid to ride your bike (Strava users only)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 09:40 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
Just tried to sign up... There's a waiting list
Wow, really? I literally just signed up and everything went through just fine. I haven'tridden anything yet, but I'm certainly excited to start now!

Also, this has officially made me sign up for strava, and even though I apprently had a CC account (about which I had totally forgotten), they've got my attention now too. Win/win/win.
Old 04-08-15, 09:45 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I just signed up (apparently I have a CC account although I've never purchased a thing from them, I think because I used their online fitting tool), and it apparently worked fine. How do you know you're on a waiting list?
Old 04-08-15, 09:47 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PiLigand
Wow, really? I literally just signed up and everything went through just fine. I haven'tridden anything yet, but I'm certainly excited to start now!

Also, this has officially made me sign up for strava, and even though I apprently had a CC account (about which I had totally forgotten), they've got my attention now too. Win/win/win.
I was talking about achievemint.com – not the Strava / CC program.

achievemint.com has a waiting list:

Old 04-08-15, 09:55 AM
mlander

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm... i just signed up, no list.

Thx for link OP
Old 04-08-15, 10:05 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mlander
Hmmm... i just signed up, no list.

Thx for link OP
No, there's no list for the CC / Strava program.

achievemint.com has a list.

Were you somehow able to sign up for
achievemint.com, or did you just misunderstand what we were talking about?
Old 04-08-15, 10:13 AM
mlander

Bikes: 2014 Scattante CFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, there's no list for the CC / Strava program.

achievemint.com has a list.

Were you somehow able to sign up for
achievemint.com, or did you just misunderstand what we were talking about?
Misunderstood and my post was a little late. I signed up for CC.
Old 04-08-15, 10:40 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked 7,915 Times in 4,208 Posts
Originally Posted by myth001
This is a good deal. But giving them my rides with full stats and locations make me cringe a bit...

I just hope they allowed a choice of online stores such as Ribble, Wiggle, Merlin, Evan, Chain Reaction - CC generally don't have the best pricing online.
In Strava you can define radii of privacy around your home, work, favorite mid-ride strip club, etc.
Old 04-08-15, 10:49 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In Strava you can define radii of privacy around your home, work, favorite mid-ride strip club, etc.
Or you could end your ride at a super market and then check behind you while you make three consecutive right turns to make sure they aren't following you. And you can have your CC orders shipped to a freight forwarder who forwards it to a PO box owned by a trust so CC won't know your address.
Old 04-08-15, 10:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If we're getting silly...

... or you could publish your CC number on the web since, you know, the internet already tracks you.
Old 04-08-15, 11:11 AM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
LBS in Miami/Fort Lauderdale give a $50 gift card for every 2000 miles when joining their Strava club. I rode e 6000+ miles last year so I expect to get at least $150 in gift cards this year
Old 04-08-15, 05:07 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the naysayers, don't assume that you somehow know more than the very smart people running those two extremely successful companies.

This is co-marketing 101, which might as well be an entry-level class in business school: Associate your brand with another complimentary, valuable brand that helps you fill a business need; and reap the mutual benefits.

Rest assured that the bean-counters at CC have worked all the possible scenarios – and arrived at the $1 per moving hour / $40 per month ceiling / $80 max balance for a specific reason.

Remember that their wholesale cost on items is a fraction of the retail.
  1. CC is buying an INCREDIBLE amount of multi-channel exposure on individual users' social feeds for that money.
  2. Strava gets an very compelling and *EXCLUSIVE* reason to retain existing users and grow their base in an increasingly competitive landscape.
It really is a very smart play and I expect it will be extremely successful for both of them.
I already use both Strava and CC and ride over 30 hours a month year round. Until this blows up, which I suspect it will, it looks like free tires every other month.

a local supermarket teamed up with a local bank on a credit card. You got 5% bonus on all card purchases to be used at the supermarket. They lost their shirts and killed the program.
Old 04-08-15, 05:22 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 1,547 Times in 1,014 Posts
Sorry.. but what is Strava and how does it work? ie. what stops you from just turning this app on and walking/driving/biking around all day?
Old 04-08-15, 05:44 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sorry.. but what is Strava and how does it work? ie. what stops you from just turning this app on and walking/driving/biking around all day?

Even if this happens, it's going to be very far and few between I would imagine (at least I would hope for integrity's sake....)
Old 04-08-15, 05:47 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12996 Post(s)
Liked 7,915 Times in 4,208 Posts
Maybe they should go to 48 hrs before credits appear, to see if the user gets flagged for that KOM they nabbed in their Audi.
Old 04-08-15, 05:52 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vicegrip
a local supermarket teamed up with a local bank on a credit card. You got 5% bonus on all card purchases to be used at the supermarket. They lost their shirts and killed the program.
And yet your "local" anecdote ignores the countless other successful national purchase/rewards programs in existence.
Old 04-08-15, 05:54 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
... what stops you from just turning this app on and walking/driving/biking around all day?
Why don't you try it & see what happens?

My bet is that the extremely smart engineers at Strava have already thought about this and created an algorithm that will automatically flag fraudulent activities.
Old 04-08-15, 06:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18451 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 3,389 Posts
Hmmm...
Interesting program.

I assume they anticipate a person will order, say $100 to $200 or more worth of merchandise at a time, so $40 would be good advertising, and get their name out there too.

They'll get slammed if people trickle their orders in, and buy one tire at a time.
Old 04-08-15, 06:21 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I assume they anticipate a person will order, say $100 to $200 or more worth of merchandise at a time, so $40 would be good advertising, and get their name out there too.

They'll get slammed if people trickle their orders in, and buy one tire at a time.
No, quite the opposite in fact.

From Noah Singer, senior product manager at Competitive Cyclist:

... It’s pretty simple, earn $1[USD] per hour you ride and use it towards the things you need to keep going. ...

From Competitive Cyclist's Strava Info page:

"... Whether it's tools, nutrition, or components, you need to fuel your riding habit. ..."

They are encouraging people to buy small-ticket consumables – and expect that many will only purchase items limited to their credit amounts.
Old 04-09-15, 08:04 AM
coolcamaro12

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Tarmac Apex Mid Compact, 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2007 Giant Boulder se

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks really interesting. It does require do ride quite a lot to get the maximum 40 dollars. Is there no catch? Cancel anytime?
Old 04-09-15, 09:49 AM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And yet your "local" anecdote ignores the countless other successful national purchase/rewards programs in existence.
Agree in some ways. Unlike many other programs this one does not require much from the user and has a high reward factor. As example Peformance and the 10% back on all purchases requires a $29 buy in each year and your loyalty This one can easily cost CC $40 a month with 0 buy on or other purchases. This requires no buy in or loyalty in where you spend money What other programs are there like this that you can you think of?

Last edited by Vicegrip; 04-09-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-09-15, 09:57 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree in some ways. Unlike many other programs this one does not require much from the user and has a high reward factor. As example Peformance and the 10% back on all purchases requires a $29 buy in each year and your loyalty This one can easily cost CC $40 a month with 0 buy on or other purchases. What other programs that are this can you think of?
Exactly. It's high-reward, low-friction. REI requires you to buy a membership and then you get rewards based on the things you purchase. There's no purchase requirement here. Seems like they're gonna lose their shirts here. Co-branded credit cards work because banks make a ton of money on interest and fees. There's nothing like that here.

In any case, I got a notification from CC that I had a dollar deposited in my account. Too bad my short little commuter rides don't count, that's a couple hours a week in 15 minute chunks.
Old 04-09-15, 09:57 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Agree in some ways. Unlike many other programs this one does not require much from the user and has a high reward factor. As example Peformance and the 10% back on all purchases requires a $29 buy in each year and your loyalty This one can easily cost CC $40 a month with 0 buy on or other purchases. What other programs that are this can you think of?
Why do you assume that the user is not providing anything of value in this program?
Old 04-09-15, 10:07 AM
Vicegrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you assume that the user is not providing anything of value in this program?
I don't. Some will go to the site looking for a tire and clck on a bike. I suspect that many will do as I will do. Remain unchanged where I Spend My Money and take advantage of this generous free offer.

keep in mind CC is paying me a bit over a dollar a day to see my rides and have me visit their site. Time will tell who this program benefits
Old 04-09-15, 10:07 AM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
They're getting valuable data (like, really super valuable) about people's actual riding habits, they give you free trinkets. It seems like a win/win to me.
Old 04-09-15, 10:17 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't. Some will go to the site looking for a tire and clck on a bike. I suspect that many will do as I will do. Remain unchanged where I Spend My Money and take advantage of this generous free offer.

keep in mind CC is paying me a bit over a dollar a day to see my rides and have me visit their site. Time will tell who this program benefits
Originally Posted by willydstyle
They're getting valuable data (like, really super valuable) about people's actual riding habits, they give you free trinkets. It seems like a win/win to me.
User data and multi-channel brand exposure – for pennies.

Without a doubt, they would very much like to convert you into a CC customer – BUT – the prospect that you might spend a some extra money on their site would only be icing on the cake.

You have to understand how online marketing works in order to get this.

Otherwise, just enjoy the freebies and try not to worry too much about it

Last edited by velociraptor; 04-09-15 at 10:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.