Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 12:57 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,035 Times in 991 Posts
Lovely! That's some prairie gearing you got right there! But it looks so good.

How much do the fenders themselves weigh? I would imagine a ~ 21 lb / 9.5 kg to be possible with their deletion.
Old 05-26-20, 04:58 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,755 Times in 1,805 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Congratulation on making 10 Kg, Your bike looks so good with the Stronglight 49 and the Jubilee mechs, I must confess I am very partial to those components. GREAT BUILD!!!!!!

: Mike
Thanks! And speaking of partiality, it is no coincidence I had these parts available.

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Lovely! That's some prairie gearing you got right there! But it looks so good.

How much do the fenders themselves weigh? I would imagine a ~ 21 lb / 9.5 kg to be possible with their deletion.
Thanks. I guess my polders are your prairies. I haven't weighed the fenders separately, but around 500g seems to be the going rate for this type of fender. So yes, 9.5kg would be about right. Which would make this bike lighter than my 60cm titanium Gazelle Colto ...

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-02-20, 02:01 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,755 Times in 1,805 Posts
Right. Time for an update.

While it may have started as a game, I am getting more serious about this bike. Reason being I rather like it, and would like to add it to my fleet of active touring bikes.

My plan was to keep it as-is where possible, and only change the bits that need changing to make it comfy enough to ride it all day for, say, a week or so.

The first thing to go was the flimsy plastic saddle. It worked, but no more than that. So in came the well-used Brooks Pro. Tested it like this last week, with a typical 60+ k ride:

Much better. Until I made a sharp turn while disregarding the toe overlap, and the front fender exploded:

While I went through my stash looking for another pair of fenders I thought that a bit wider wouldn't be a bad idea, as the Veloflex Masters 25, nice as they are, aren't my first choice on a bike that needs to go off-road regularly during vacation trips.

I found a pair of Bluemels "Popular" in the basement, which are 5mm wider than these "Club Specials". And I'd just scored a pair of cheap Jack Brown tires, in the supposedly perfect size of 700x33.3.

So this is what I tested today:

The checker-board tread pattern picks up small stones and hurls them along the fenders with an alarming sizzle, but other than that this set-up seems to work well. Comfort has gone up, while the handling has remained sharp, and the bike still feels light.

Time for a longer ride.