Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How much can you keep improving?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How much can you keep improving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 08:42 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Oh, yes, I thought it was 3.5 w/kg and you were 81kg.

I still think you'd be very hard pressed to do an 9 minute, 8% climb at 350 watts and 70 kg. That's a grind.

259-267-285 isn't a huge improvement over that time period, and certainly wouldn't indicate that you could then go 285 -> 350 any time soon. The speed relative to those wattages will definitely not be linear as a number of factors could have affected those; wind, riding position, passing cars, etc. 12w/16w just doesn't equate to 42/58 seconds over 13 minutes, so there were definitely some other significant factor(s) happening.

But it's a long-term game, so keep chipping away at it and who knows. Optimize your bike, your fit, and your clothing a bit more and you could probably get some free speed, too.
Sure, I definitely want to keep at this for a few years, see how far I can go, I am not expecting to do it this year. But I have hopes as well to try again middle of July after 4-6 weeks on the VO2 max sessions you (I think it was you right?) from the other thread. Because this time frame is exactly that kind of VO2 territory. I think I can average over 300W by then already.

Though you are right, the faster you go the more resistances, I forgot that, so 350W is too low an estimate. but let's see how it goes
Old 06-03-20, 12:35 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Well that is already an answer. I am not looking for accurate answer, just trends. E.g. if a relative beginner manages and improvement of X watts in year 1, then the year 2 improvement would be around X/2 and in year 3 X/4 and so on.
I think it is safe to say that improvement is not linear. Rather it is an increasing curve with decreasing slope, reaching whatever genetic limit you have, and likely varies based on a number of variables.
Old 06-05-20, 08:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 2,507 Times in 1,472 Posts
I have found that the more concrete and specific the goal the easier it is to continuously improve. For me that means belief, focus and commitment. General, goals such as improving overall fitness or similar wax and wain over time.
Old 06-09-20, 11:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
A few observations here:

-I think we might be discussing ftp a few times in regards to some 20min PR's instead of the 60min definition, if so........let's talk in CP5, CP8, CP20, CP60 instead of "ftp". As it's a long cry from doing 270w or so up your 13min climb to doing it for a full uninterrupted hour.

-Even going from 300w to 350w for 8ish minutes is a mammoth difference. While some folks have freakish natural VO2max potential, the power duration curve for you simply won't ever be so drastic that if you can do 300w for 20min you would automatically be able to do 350w for 8min. Maybe, but probably not. I've done 305w for 20min and 330w for 8min. On the 8min I tried for 350w and had to dial it way back after 5min then get back into the gas.

-Lastly, there is still a very large aerobic contribution to 8min power. 8min is at the long limit of working on VO2. Even 3min has a solid aerobic contribution. Most plans I've seen don't jump into VO2 before doing a solid SS and/or threshold primer of work for a few weeks or even month. VO can be "easy come easy go", so if you can maintain a better aerobic engine.......it won't be as tough a task working back into VO. If you only do a lot of VO for VO sake.......soon as you're done, easy go. (Not my idea, podcast listening regurgitation).
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-15-20, 06:49 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Suggesting, as you and many have, that someone will be predicted to reach an unknown ending level of performance in 6-8 years irrespective of an unknown level of starting performance is not analytically possible. The reason is simple: if starting and ending performance are unknown, so is improvement as the formula suggests. If improvement is unknown it's not possible to know when someone will achieve it....
With cycling people starting from a low level of conditioning initially experience rapid improvement. That rapid rate of improvement also tapers off quickly. As a result, someone two years from getting off the couch won't be far from where he'd be if he'd been pretty active physically when he started. Analytically, think of it as approaching a curve asymptotically.
Old 07-17-20, 08:10 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Just as an update, tried again today.

Average watts increased to 307, time improvement was exactly 60 seconds. Which means each watt decreased time by 2.8 seconds, down from 3.6 seconds per watt on the last attempt compared to the 2nd last attempt. So yes, definitely no longer linear.