Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nasty Headaches After Hard Rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nasty Headaches After Hard Rides

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 11:21 AM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Where are you?
Washington, DC.

Moot point, all of this, though, as I couldn't afford my insurance co-pay & deductible anyway. And then I'm getting laid off at the end of the month so I'm even less likely to be able to go.

The American healthcare system is just absurd. Thankfully a ticket to Britain costs a lot less than medical care would, if I really really needed it. (for anything short of a broken leg or serious bleeding, that's exactly what I'd do - if I can walk on to an airplane and can wait ten hours, it's the loving bosom of the NHS for me)

Could be diabetes... And I could get that checked for free at the community clinics down in the sketchy neighbourhoods.
Old 12-21-08, 12:02 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Treefox
So for a while now, I've been getting really nasty headaches maybe an hour or two after getting back from really hard rides.

I've been good about drinking on rides, I eat right after getting back - but if I've really gone all-out on a ride, or been racing, I tend to get these headaches a while after I return that last for a several hours (got back at like noon today and now, at ten, it's pretty much all worn off).

Any ideas? It seems like it'd be a nutrition thing - like not enough sugar or something, but I had a banana and orange juice after getting back.

It kinda ruins the rest of my day.
What did the doctor say?
Old 12-21-08, 12:35 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bontrager
What did the doctor say?
No money to see a doctor.
Old 12-21-08, 12:56 PM
Bontrager

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In another recent thread....
Got my fiancee an '08 Felt Z90 on clearance a few weeks ago for $550.
glad you got your priorities straight!
Old 12-21-08, 01:50 PM
nogearCX
Long Lever

Bikes: Looking for my next rig. :(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
These work for me:

Easy to carry to add later in a ride.

Do you hydrate before and after a ride? Makes a big difference for me.

If it isn't hydration then it could be fit. Is your neck / shoulder area sore after a ride?

Good luck fixing it, I suffered and I know how much it sucks. Electrolytes cured it for me.

NuuN is the best! They sponsor my team and have a great product! You should try taking more fluids during the day and less sodium in your diet. You are likely dehydrated. This same thing used to happen to me when I was runing competitively. Terrible headaches, not enough body fat, not enough fluid intake in my daily diet, not just during the workout. Good luck, and I second seeing a doctor.
Old 12-21-08, 02:22 PM
Bontrager

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nogearCX
NuuN is the best!
Nuun was so disgusting. It's the only food-type item I've ever returned to the store. They said I couldn't have a refund because I opened the package. I asked where their trash was and threw it in.
Old 12-21-08, 02:27 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bontrager
In another recent thread....

glad you got your priorities straight!
Don't you know it!

Well, the fiancee bought herself a Felt Z90 as I stood about saying, 'yeah, Felts are nice.'

Besides, a $3000 deductible is rather more than a Felt Z90.

And we can see this as a cost vs. potential benefit balance. Chances are I'd be paying some doctor $500 to be told to drink more.

Last edited by Treefox; 12-21-08 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-21-08, 04:44 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Sure, go see a doctor if the simple things don't work but honestly, would you tell someone to go to the doctor because they are feeling thirsty and your worried that telling them to have a drink of water constituted medical advise?

Anyway your symptom sounds to me like yet another (mild) symptom of magnesium deficiency. The headache in my opinion is from muscular tension and the fact that it starts a while after your ride and goes away eventually of its own accord suggest that its just a mild problem but try taking a magnesium supplement. A glass of celery juice is a good natural option if you have a juicer. Almonds and Brazil nuts are also natural foods rich in Magnesium.

Anthony
Old 12-21-08, 04:59 PM
SunFlower
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find that VERY hard to believe. A visit to a doctor is about $60 if you pay cash. If you want the name of my doctor I can give it to you. However, you seem to have money for a computer and a road bike. It isnt the American health care system thats a joke, its YOU.
Old 12-21-08, 05:04 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SunFlower
A visit to a doctor is about $60 if you pay cash.
Originally Posted by SunFlower
It isnt the American health care system thats a joke...
In this exhibit we see an example of inadvertent self-parody. This is a specialty of Americans, whose extreme parochialism and myopia render them less well-attuned to the nuances of irony. In our next exhibit, Zoomka the dancing bear, we see...
Old 12-21-08, 05:09 PM
Bontrager

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rousseau
In this exhibit we see an example of inadvertent self-parody. This is a specialty of Americans, whose extreme parochialism and myopia render them less well-attuned to the nuances of irony. In our next exhibit, Zoomka the dancing bear, we see...
Canadians have no room to talk. You talk about how great your free healthcare system is but you guys come down here when you're sick after you realize you're dying to get that MRI in Canada or gimping around for another year because Ontairo's allotment of hip prosthesis is used up this year.
Old 12-21-08, 05:18 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Such ignorance! Here's the deal:

Canadians with lots of money go abroad to jump the queue, is what you mean. Meanwhile, Americans who aren't fantastically rich but still economically above the middle class go abroad to pay less for procedures and treatment. I don't have the figures, but apparently those American "medical tourists" far outnumber the Canadians who are willing to spend the extra bucks for same-day service in Detroit instead of waiting for a week or two.

We got 33 million people and excellent healthcare. We have far lower infant mortality rates than you, are nowhere near as obese as you, live longer and are healthier than you.

You got 50 million people with no healthcare. Your emergency rooms are clogged with people using them like walk-in clinics and with people who wouldn't be there if they'd been able to afford to see a family doctor and get regular treatment in the first place.

Got it? Good. Still, let's turn this thread into an argument about healthcare and extend it for ten more pages, shall we?
Old 12-21-08, 05:21 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Do you have your vital signs checked after a hard race? All Fire Stations will do this for you for free, perhaps it is due to increased blood pressure/low pulse ox after a hard ride. This in turn could be a symptom of other things that could require a neuro and cardio workup. It is impossible to diagnose a symptom in a forum, over the phone, email, webmd. You need to see a Dr. in person!

It probably is as most people are saying poor hydration, low electrolytes or could be heat stroke.
who the hell knows, so see a dr.
Old 12-21-08, 06:01 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eyestrain headache perhaps? too much BF?
Old 12-21-08, 06:39 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by celerystalksme
htfu
Well if he has a hardened artery he already HTFU!

Back on topic... GO SEE A DOCTOR! Could be anything from you being a wuss to stroke symptoms. High blood pressure runs in my family and I have early signs of issues. Back in my glory days as a speedskater the folks at the Olympic Training Center checked me into a hospital after I had similar issues after a very hard workout. Was high blood pressure... I was drinking "frank the tank" style every night up there then working out hard as hell 4+ hours a day. My body didnt like that too much.

Last edited by wfrogge; 12-21-08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-21-08, 06:50 PM
GPB

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chances are I'd be paying some doctor $500 to be told to drink more.

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned I get those killer headaches on occasion myself. If I drink a liter of gatorade (G2...the light stuff) after an intense ride where I probably overheat a bit, even while drinking fluids, the headache either is a no-show or much less intense. If I drink a beer or eat anything salty...I'm asking for trouble. A nap will cure the headache...and there's a point where I break out into a healthy sweat like breaking a fever. Weird.

Anyhow, during my last physical I mentioned it to my doc and he checked my electrolytes in one of the blood tests. Nothing ever showed up and he told me then it was most likely hydration related. I think it's hydration and/or muscle tension. I drink way too much diet soda and have wondered if it's related to that. And my physical was only a couple hundred bucks...with the doctor being "in plan" and similar deductible as you.
Old 12-21-08, 06:52 PM
charliekeri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to a chiropractor.
Old 12-21-08, 10:55 PM
DesnaePhoto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your sweating like? I sweat rivers when working hard (only streams with regular workout). My clothes are covered in white streaks when they dry out. For years, I've struggled to get enough electrolytes into my body. I continue to get headaches when I don't get enough. When on Active Duty, I carried Gatorade power and made it at 2-3x concentration. Just to stay ahead of the curve. When in the heat and knowing a hard workout is coming, I just resign to getting one of these headaches. Though cyclomax at 2x concentration is helping.

Get all the facts about when YOU do, and how YOUR body responds, before you see your doctor. Then go see him/her.

David