Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hunt carbon rim exploded while inflating

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hunt carbon rim exploded while inflating

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 08:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,198 Times in 6,776 Posts
"This happens a lot, but you'd never know about it, because nobody talks about it. But trust me, it happens. A lot."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-08-23, 09:08 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Liked 630 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Never had such a problem with my alloy rims and regular tubed tires.
My experience agrees with this with the exception of several 20" (406) aluminum rims on the rear wheel of my folding commuter bike which failed along the center plane. I originally thought these were brake track wear failures which propagated into the rim. Eventually I showed these to Bill Mould, and was told these were more likely caused by high pressure (60psi) in wide (47mm) tires on relatively narrow rims. These were Kinetix rims, and while I can't say the rims were the problem, I did solve the problem by changing to Sun Ringle rims which are slightly wider.
For reference, I weigh about 215 pounds.

Rim failure from hoop stress. Brake tracks were about 1mm thick.

Rear brake was thumping when applied.

Another rim with hoop stress failure.
Old 12-08-23, 09:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Liked 498 Times in 362 Posts
Does the 100 number on the rim
assume a 25 tire? They should make it obvious
Old 12-08-23, 09:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,552 Times in 3,049 Posts
There are a lot of CF failures which you will will never hear about, because people who experienced those failures never post it on social media. The failures you hear about on bikeforums and other social media platforms are just a tip of the iceberg a small fraction of a bigger problem that's out there.
There are failures on occasion for just about every material on the planet but that doesn't mean it happens often just because someone does not post online somewhere. Carbon when put together correctly is quite a strong resilient material yes it can fail anything can fail but to say it happens a lot because you don't read about it, is silly.

If you had data to back up your claim then yes by all means go for it but saying there are unknown unknowns is just silly.
Old 12-08-23, 09:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Liked 3,972 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
... saying there are unknown unknowns is just silly.
I think you just outed Donald Rumsfeld.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-08-23, 10:30 PM
Alan K

Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Kbarter
Was setting up some Panaracer 38c tires on Hunt Carbon 30 rims and the rim exploded at about 80psi when I was trying to get the bead to set. Reached out to Hunt, noting that the max PSI on the rim was 100, and got this reply.

>>>>.

Curious if the volume not psi argument is legit.
Thanks,
Kent
Yes, both factors matter - area and pressure.

Force = Area x Pressure

Thank your lucky stars that you didn’t have slightly less pressure and went riding on it, when it would have hit its limit and exploded.

Also, it was good of company to offer you a free replacement.

Your story has given me a reason to reevaluate my potential switch to carbon wheels. Who needs rim that explodes!
Old 12-09-23, 05:03 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,422 Times in 8,135 Posts
The first rule of carbon fiber failure is don’t talk about carbon fiber failure.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-09-23, 07:35 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Liked 1,125 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K

Your story has given me a reason to reevaluate my potential switch to carbon wheels. Who needs rim that explodes!
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The first rule of carbon fiber failure is don’t talk about carbon fiber failure.
I’ve got the scars, 5 broken bones, bum knee and medical bills from assploding carbon fiber. I’m an exception to the first rule!! Cheap Chinese aero bars put me in the hospital. A few hundred saved = thousands in medical bills.

I’m not anti CF, but I do have some personal rules.
-no ultra light CF parts that were designed for 140# racers
-no cheap Chinese CF anything
-name brand, high(er) quality parts

Instead of 1200g wheels, something with a little more beef and margin for error
Instead of ultralight frame sets, I prefer CF cyclocross frames.
Saving grams in the contact points, handlebars, seat post, cranks - nope.

I have zero concerns with CF parts that come from a well known source. I ride Roval C38 wheels - a few extra spokes, a few hundred grams more - still a brilliant ride and plenty fast, and they are rated for gravel/cyclocross duty. More beef, and only marginally slower than ultralight options - marginally.

Other than that my main road machines are high end steel and higher end aluminum. Can they crack as well? Sure. But is it catastrophic type failure? Probably less of a chance.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 12-09-23, 07:35 AM
PeteHski

Liked 5,868 Times in 3,620 Posts
There are a lot of CF failures which you will will never hear about, because people who experienced those failures never post it on social media. The failures you hear about on bikeforums and other social media platforms are just a tip of the iceberg a small fraction of a bigger problem that's out there.
Another way of looking at it is that failures tend to be exaggerated on the internet because it's a worldwide population and people tend to post more about negative stuff. The Shimano Hollowtech crank failures are a good example of this. The failure rate is probably less than 1% but if you read about it on the forums you could be easily convinced it was a major risk. But the reality is that the vast majority of riders have zero issues with their Shimano cranks and would be blissfully unaware of any issues had they not read about it on a bike forum.

Back to carbon rims, I've been using them for about a decade both for road and mtb with zero issues. So I'm not that concerned about an internet failure story. Those stories apply to pretty much any product.
Old 12-09-23, 08:08 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Liked 2,496 Times in 1,287 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
See! Crabon fibre does asplode!
It sure does and this thread proves it.
Old 12-09-23, 08:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,932 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I am a mega-Clyde, I am a mega-klutz, and i use CF rims on a bike I use primarily for hauling heavy loads .... and the rims are faultless, pretty much.

If you misuse Anything it will fail. The whole idea that some material is the issue ... if you try hard enough you can mess up steel rims, too. What is a "safe" alternative?

Not abusing your equipment seems to me to be a safe alternative.

People like Lupine Offspring are just clowns ... no more need be said ... but perhaps some folks here are too young or too new to cycling to recall the days Before CF .... or to recall the days when aluminum was a "new" material.

It was widely bruited that aluminum would fail catastrophically because it had zero flex, and the vibrations of riding would cause it ti ... "Assplode!" OMG!!!111!!! Aluminum was the Death Material for bike frames.

Seems that was not quite accurate .....

Then CF forks were introduced ... back over three decades ago ... and there are still people claiming CF forks are made of "Death material" which will "assplode" (Yeah, I am spelling it wrong to make a point) without warning and kill you (My favorite form BF was a guy who crashed into a wall at very high speed while descending a mountain, and whose forks failed later in the ride ... he blamed CF, not crashing at speed head-on into a wall. That is the level of intellect we are contending with (and what did Friedrich Schiller say about ignorance?))

Bikes with CF frames have also been on the market for about 30 years .... but apparently every single incident with CF failure has been fatal, which is why we don't know about them .... and the aliens have abducted everyone who survived .... or the World Shadow Government has banned people whose CF frames have failed from posting on the internet ... they can do that, you know.

Facts (don't so many of us hate facts?) seem to indicate that CF has been used successfully as a material in aerospace, aeronautics, automobiles, bicycles, and many other fields for many decades. Materials science is constantly offering improved materials. And troglodytes are still dreaming of the "Goode Olde Days" when rocks and sticks (and intestinal parasites from raw meat) were the state of the art.

You'd think a simple dictum like "Don't be aggressively stupid" would suffice, but not for some folks .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-09-23, 09:09 AM
PeteHski

It sure does and this thread proves it.
This thread also proves that aluminium rims can fail too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-09-23, 10:09 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Liked 1,553 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am a mega-Clyde, I am a mega-klutz, and i use CF rims on a bike I use primarily for hauling heavy loads .... and the rims are faultless, pretty much.

If you misuse Anything it will fail. The whole idea that some material is the issue ... if you try hard enough you can mess up steel rims, too. What is a "safe" alternative?

People like Lupine Offspring are just clowns ... no more need be said ... but perhaps some folks here are too young or too new to cycling to recall the days Before CF .... or to recall the days when aluminum was a "new" material.

It was widely bruited that aluminum would fail catastrophically because it had zero flex, and the vibrations of riding would cause it ti ... "Assplode!" OMG!!!111!!! Aluminum was the Death Material for bike frames.

Then CF forks were introduced ... back over three decades ago ... and there are still people claiming CF forks are made of "Death material" which will "assplode" (Yeah, I am spelling it wrong to make a point) without warning and kill you (My favorite form BF was a guy who crashed into a wall at very high speed while descending a mountain, and whose forks failed later in the ride ... he blamed CF, not crashing at speed head-on into a wall. That is the level of intellect we are contending with (and what did Friedrich Schiller say about ignorance?))

Bikes with CF frames have also been on the market for about 30 years .... but apparently every single incident with CF failure has been fatal, which is why we don't know about them .... and the aliens have abducted everyone who survived .... or the World Shadow Government has banned people whose CF frames have failed from posting on the internet ... they can do that, you know.

Facts (don't so many of us hate facts?) seem to indicate that CF has been used successfully as a material in aerospace, aeronautics, automobiles, bicycles, and many other fields for many decades. Materials science is constantly offering improved materials. And troglodytes are still dreaming of the "Goode Olde Days" when rocks and sticks (and intestinal parasites from raw meat) were the state of the art.

You'd think a simple dictum like "Don't be aggressively stupid" would suffice, but not for some folks .......
Sad that another well articulated explanation is wasted on the usual suspects. What always baffles me is this same crew of Luddites will pontificate for paragraphs about the amazing ride quality of one steel tubed bike over another even though they are for all intents and purpose identical except for the name on the down tube ends with a different vowel. The amount of threads which have been derailed by this same insanity has effectively ruined these forums, any subject ends with some diatribe about how the way things were done in the 70’s - 80’s was superior. For gods sake there are still guys over in Touring sub forum advocating that paper maps are the way to go!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 12-09-23, 10:10 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by base2
I've had several customers who have. It's usually been a dad walking in the store, incredulous that the rim he's holding could have a giant split down the middle or the brake track is doing it's best to go on vacation. Usually combined with a story that his kid got hit by a car or somethin' and is not telling the truth. The other usual crowd, sensibly, is the homeless community that tends to use BMX bike for transportation. So maybe the impression is skewed. Either way, I've lost count.

Thus far I've gathered that for most people Force=pressure x area is just too complicated, and if a thing failed, it's the manufacturers fault for making stupid garbage...Never their own fault for using a thing wrong in the first place.

The customer failures I have seen have pretty consistently been 2" tires at road bike pressures. (100+) 'cause some bmx kid thinks higher pressure=faster or to avoid pinch flats as he makes a landing at the skate park.

This is why cheap stuff is made to be idiot proof.
There is no such thing as idiot proof. You seem to underestimating capabilities of the newer crops of idiots,
At least for a generation I have been noticing this pervasive trend of not taking responsibility for one’s own errors - it’s always someone else’s fault. 🤪
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-09-23, 10:15 AM
Alan K

Atlas Shrugged:
For gods sake there are still guys over in Touring sub forum advocating that paper maps are the way to go!”

Under some circumstances, quite useful as a backup plan!

By the way, this Luddite still likes the feel of a book made from paper, turning its pages to read, and placing a book mark before going to sleep!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-09-23, 10:28 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by PeteHski
This thread also proves that aluminium rims can fail too.
There are only two reasons why alloy rims fail. Those two reasons are worn out braking track or improper and inconsistent spoke tension. Both of these problems are easily preventable,
Old 12-09-23, 10:37 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Liked 2,178 Times in 1,181 Posts
A lot of people are entirely missing the point of the OP’s story. He is not trying to ride around on that 80psi. He is trying to seat the bead. Do you guys understand you have to seat the bead on a tubeless system? If a wheel blows up before the bead can seat, then yes there is definitely a problem with the rim- primarily the dimension of the rim shoulder and the shape of the shoulder and transition area. It is possible that the tire was made too tight as well.
The secondary issue is Hunt’s much vaunted hookless sidewalls. My theory is that the Hunt rim assploded the moment the bead got seated. At that point in time the full 80psi pushes against the weak hookless wall and it gave way.
So either Hunt make their shoulder smaller or smoother for an easier transition, or they make the hookless sidewall stronger to withstand the seating over-pressure. Otherwise I would say this is a fatal flaw. At least for this tire/rim combo.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-09-23, 10:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Sad that another well articulated explanation is wasted on the usual suspects. What always baffles me is this same crew of Luddites will pontificate for paragraphs about the amazing ride quality of one steel tubed bike over another even though they are for all intents and purpose identical except for the name on the down tube ends with a different vowel. The amount of threads which have been derailed by this same insanity has effectively ruined these forums, any subject ends with some diatribe about how the way things were done in the 70’s - 80’s was superior. For gods sake there are still guys over in Touring sub forum advocating that paper maps are the way to go!
You the first and only one in this thread who brought up the vintage nostalgia. I don't recall anybody else extolling the virtues of the 70s and 80s bikes.
Old 12-09-23, 10:57 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 8,298 Times in 3,298 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Not to mention all of those who bleed out from the carbon fiber assplosion shrapnel wounds.
Originally Posted by genejockey
Or vaporized in the asplosion.
Yep, neither live long enough to start a thread about their experience. Proof positive of a bigger problem.
Old 12-09-23, 11:15 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by Maelochs

Your simple dictum may work nicely in expressing your views - try it the next time and see how it goes! 😉
Old 12-09-23, 11:23 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,198 Times in 6,776 Posts
There are only two reasons why alloy rims fail. Those two reasons are worn out braking track or improper and inconsistent spoke tension. Both of these problems are easily preventable,
Huh. So, which one caused nearly identical cracks to form at every single spoke hole on my old Fulcrum wheels?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-23, 12:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Liked 4,058 Times in 1,999 Posts
Reason #3: metal fatigue, which will happen on any Al rim with enough stress cycles.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-09-23, 12:25 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 512 Times in 308 Posts
At least the OP wasn't just calling out Hunt for a bad wheel when it does appear the OP blew it...literally and figuratively.
Glad that Hunt send the OP a replacement rim...they just could have said 'sucks for you, next time read the owners manual' or some such wording.
Love the stories about 'asplosions'...keep them coming.
Old 12-09-23, 12:33 PM
PeteHski

Except the failure reported here in post 52.
Then there's metal fatigue as Terrymorse mentioned, which is the usual demise of alloy rims.

Alloy rims are fine. CF rims are fine. It is almost 2024 and CF is now a mainstream material choice for wheel rims and the only choice for high end performance road wheels and most high end mtb wheels too.
Old 12-09-23, 12:38 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Liked 1,125 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Not all of us are luddites.

I ride all three types of bikes - carbon, aluminum and steel.

I have aluminum and CF wheels.

I have rim and disc brakes, and I like the discs better.

Assploding CF is the only thing that’s put me in the hospital.

So I’m cautious about what parts and the type of parts I ride, pain will do that to you.

Oh and yes, my high end steel bike is awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.