Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hipsters everywhere weep

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hipsters everywhere weep

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 09:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Even at hundreds of thousands of dollars per mold and a production run of less than a thousand there is no way to justify the markup of this bike to the molds alone.
Who's doing that?
Old 11-08-13, 09:58 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyD
What we normal peons elect to forget is that there are thousands of people out there with more money than they know what to do with. Spending money is a thrill to them, the faster the better, gets the juices flowing.

They're not stupid, they just have a huge cache of disposable assets, and it's something difficult for us working slobs to wrap our brains around.

Money is no object for the filthy rich.
there are people who will definitely buy it. And when they find out you are making fun of them on an online forum that only a microfraction of the world cares about, they will have their billionaire husbands buy the company you work for and fire you.
Old 11-08-13, 10:01 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Obviously not. When the cost of developing a mold and a production process is tens of thousands of dollars (per model, per size), the production volume is a big factor of the final price.
Ok. I don't get it.
Old 11-08-13, 10:02 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
$11,000 carbon fiber single-speed and it weighs 24# = Fail
Old 11-08-13, 10:15 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Myosmith
$11,000 carbon fiber single-speed and it weighs 24# = Fail
Reading = Fail. It's a belt-driven internally geared hub, 8 or 11-speed.

I would also bet that the weight is based on the Dutchie model and that the 'Sportif' model is lighter than 24 lbs. Speaking of the Sportif, I'd give it an unreserved 'Hot.'

Old 11-08-13, 10:16 AM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck on a big sales season.
Old 11-08-13, 10:20 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Who's doing that?
Ah, I see you must have gotten hung up on the word "alone". You were attempting to justify the high price of this item with the cost of the molding process and the low run volume. That's simply not the case.

You say the molds cost tens of thousands; but for argument's sake lets say the mold is $2,000,000.00. Doing a cursory internet examination of carbon fiber manufacturing I see that the actual materials that go into these frames is actually fairly cheap, the expense in manufacturing comes from the machine capital and the labor (although Taiwanese labor isn't all that expensive). They are farming the actual manufacturing out to a company that makes bike frames so they don't have to spread the overhead of those machines out over the small lot of bikes. I imagine there is less than $2,000 in materials, labor, and overhead going into each bike (and that's being conservative). So, if they make 1,000 bikes and $2,000 cost of the mold and $2,000 cost of the manufacturing get added together that comes to $4,000. $4,000/11,000 is a 36% margin which is pretty damned healthy, and that is using inflated costs. They wouldn't be buying an expensive bike they would be buying an expensive label.
Old 11-08-13, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Ah, I see you must have gotten hung up on the word "alone". You were attempting to justify the high price of this item with the cost of the molding process and the low run volume. That's simply not the case.
Context is important in comprehension - I was rebutting the assertion that the low production volume had NO affect on the price. Go back, re-read.

Doing a cursory internet examination of carbon fiber manufacturing I see that the actual materials that go into these frames is actually fairly cheap
You should do more than a cursory search. It's not a case of 'CF is CF is CF' and Time is an anomaly in bike manufacturers - they weave their own tubes of CF as opposed to buying pieces of pre-preg.

(although Taiwanese labor isn't all that expensive).
Time's manufacturing facilities are in France.

I imagine there is less than $2,000 in materials, labor, and overhead going into each bike (and that's being conservative). So, if they make 1,000 bikes and $2,000 cost of the mold and $2,000 cost of the manufacturing get added together that comes to $4,000. $4,000/11,000 is a 36% margin which is pretty damned healthy, and that is using inflated costs.
The manufacturer isn't the distributor/retailer - they both need to make money and your model assumes direct-to-consumer.

They wouldn't be buying an expensive bike they would be buying an expensive label.
There's no disputing that the bikes would cost less without the Hermes label, but the assertions taking place in this thread are ridiculous.
Old 11-08-13, 10:56 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Context is important in comprehension - I was rebutting the assertion that the low production volume had NO affect on the price. Go back, re-read.
I will stick to that point alone then and use your own "tens of thousands" number for the molds. At less than $100,000 for the mold even if they only make 500 bikes off that mold that is only factoring in $200 per unit which is less than 2% of the final selling price.

Low production volume has very little affect on price.
Old 11-08-13, 11:16 AM
WhyFi

Low production volume has very little affect on price.
*sigh* when the frames are hand-produced by a company has a total production volume of <90 frames per week, low production volume has a very real affect on price. Also, your numbers are comparing manufacturing dollars as a percentage of retail dollars - that don't work.
Old 11-08-13, 11:19 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

*sigh* when the frames are hand-produced by a company has a total production volume of <90 frames per week, low production volume has a very real affect on price. Also, your numbers are comparing manufacturing dollars as a percentage of retail dollars - that don't work.
Production per week doesn't matter. Total units produced with the mold is what matters. Percentage of sales dollars is a very common ratio. I assure you - it work.
Old 11-08-13, 11:22 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Money is no object for the filthy rich.
Why is being rich "filthy" you Marxist name-caller you.

Originally Posted by save10
And when they find out you are making fun of them on an online forum that only a microfraction of the world cares about, they will have their billionaire husbands buy the company you work for and fire you.

This thread is approaching that "my friend has 10k to spend on a bike, what should I tell her to buy" thread.
Old 11-08-13, 11:36 AM
bobones

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Meanwhile, back in the real world you can buy your girlfriend this 19kg beauty for around $400.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-5-2012-id_8202827.html
Old 11-08-13, 12:38 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,446 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
$3000 bike for $11000 .... Sounds like a good deal
...doubles as a carbon filter espresso machine. Well worth it IMO.
Old 11-08-13, 12:56 PM
WhyFi

Production per week doesn't matter. Total units produced with the mold is what matters.
Sweet, business owners the world around will be happy to know that time is a factor of no consequence - it'll give them a lot more breathing room.

Percentage of sales dollars is a very common ratio. I assure you - it work.
So a production cost increase of X results in a retail price increase in X? Damn, business owners the world around will not be happy to know this.
Old 11-08-13, 01:23 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13775 Post(s)
Liked 4,584 Times in 2,533 Posts
This thread delivers.
Old 11-08-13, 01:32 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eww. Wrong use of carbon fiber.

Handmade, less than $11,000, stronger for usefulness.

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...s/dsc_1229.jpg

Old 11-08-13, 01:32 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,446 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
This thread delivers.
+1.....I know a guy here who runs a bike food delivery business. I'm gonna forward a link in case he's interested.
Old 11-08-13, 01:58 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Menel
Eww. Wrong use of carbon fiber.

Handmade, less than $11,000, stronger for usefulness.

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...s/dsc_1229.jpg

Now that's a proper city bike.
Old 11-08-13, 02:04 PM
Cue
Banned.

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
Now that's a proper city bike.
You people have terrible taste in city bikes, almost as if you never ride a bike in a city and drive everywhere, ie. sunday riders.

This is a proper city bike, with proper chainguard, fenders, dynamo light front and back, rack, upright position, and kickstand.

Old 11-08-13, 02:19 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You should get a better bike for $11,000.
I'm guessing those $12,000 handbags are "THE BEST" at whatever makes a handbag "THE BEST"

THE BEST "Dutch Bike" shouldn't weigh 24 lbs.
They aren't getting "THE BEST"
which is why I brought up P T BARNUM
You should actually get THE BEST for $11,000
Like those $11,000 12 lb steel framed 27 speed bikes-they might be pointless-but they are THE BEST in some way you can measure-other than price.
You should get the DUTCH BIKE equivalent for $11,000
Hell safe bet the $11,000 12 lb steel frame bike builder could build a "Steel framed" BEST DUTCH BIKE that would be well under 24 lbs.
It would look better too-nice thin tubes-use 853 paint it milk white if you like-
or paint it some GOOD COLOR- black reds cobalt blue some greens some yellows some orange colors milk white??

Pointless to have a CF frame if the bike is going to weigh 24 lbs!!
Old 11-08-13, 02:30 PM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cue
You people have terrible taste in city bikes, almost as if you never ride a bike in a city and drive everywhere, ie. sunday riders.

This is a proper city bike, with proper chainguard, fenders, dynamo light front and back, rack, upright position, and kickstand.

This looks less comfortable than the Lynskey....all the stuff you mentioned to make this MORE of a city bike than the Lynskey are actually stuff you are easily put on yourself.
Old 11-08-13, 02:32 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
You should get a better bike for $11,000.
I'm guessing those $12,000 handbags are "THE BEST" at whatever makes a handbag "THE BEST"
I doubt the bags are that great. I had a real Louis Vuitton duffel that I used as my carryon...I was flying back to AZ from MI and had a laptop, ipad, change of clothes and some other crap in the bag...as I was getting on the plane, one of the handles detached from the leather (bad stitch job) and the bag dropped from my hand...not that big of a deal, but when you drop that kind of money on a bag, you expect it to last a lifetime. The $40 duffel I replaced it with is still going strong.

A gas station attendant ripped my gucci wallet trying to get my id out a couple of years ago.

Name brand/luxury brand expensive items are still crap in the long run, they just have a fancy label.

Old 11-08-13, 02:33 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It Friday... TGIF!!!
Are the winter/autumn blues really that bad for all of you?
I'm glad it a pretty nice today! Nice but cool commute in the morning, but it looks like it will be dry commute home.
Get out & ride you bikes, instead of wasting time on these things.

Why are we still talking about these "fashionista fixies"?
The only people who would consider purchasing these tanks would socialites or heirs to family fortunes.
In fact Hermes would probably give them to these folks for free, to help sell them.
Isn't that how it works for rich folks?

We can all agree none of us will be purchasing any of these here in the 41.
Please let this thread die already, it pointless really.
Old 11-08-13, 02:37 PM
Cue
Banned.

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
This looks less comfortable than the Lynskey....all the stuff you mentioned to make this MORE of a city bike than the Lynskey are actually stuff you are easily put on yourself.
The cannondale I posted requires no extraneous shopping for accessories or add ons. That lynskey isn't a proper city bike, the frame isn't even built for internal gears/single speed setup, you're just mesmerized by the "lynskey" branding. You don't know what a proper city bike is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.