Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't most factory hybrid bikes have.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't most factory hybrid bikes have.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 10:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7703 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,906 Posts
Nothing will suit the OP until the entire world changes to suit him.

Funniest part? If he is successful and regains his health and fitness and gets his weight down by 80 pounds, he will be shopping for the very bikes whose popularity he decries now.

My guess is this guy got all upset because His generation didn't get a huge and unearned sense of entitlement ... so he grew his own.

@JonBailey---as an obese rider with a bad heart who is on the same journey as yourself ... hope we both make it. But if you bring your bad attitude with you, your life really won't be any better... just ugly for longer.

The problem people are having with your posts is the enormous selfishness, short-sightedness, self-pity, and sense of entitlement you exhibit.

Maybe if you hadn't made yourself hugely obese and unhealthy, you would find that a lot of manufacturers Were making the kind of bike you wanted. But ... you wrecked yourself. And now you want the whole world to change to suit you. Me? I accept responsibility for my weight gain and loss of fitness. I didn't get fat because aliens were pumping me full of food while I slept. Some of the health issues were congenital---but even so, I own them. I could have lived better to control them better. And in any case, so long as I am alive I can still improve.

Go talk to some of the folks on the Adaptive Cycling forum (https://www.bikeforums.net/adaptive-...t-other-needs/) and whine about how tough you have it to people born with one arm and no legs---or to people who had their limbs blown of defending our nation. Come on back and let us know what you learned.
Old 12-10-18, 10:41 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah. I don't know what the OP is talking about with the whole Varsity thing.

I know I can easily bolt on an ape-hanger bar, a spring seat and fenders to that vintage Varsity. Stock? No. Comfortable? Yes! I would rather have that (but only in perfect like-new condition) with my mods than the thing I have now made in China that dares puts the words "Schwinn Quality" on the front of the frame. That Varsity can be restored to perfect factory-new specs for so much money than I can't afford to give up right now. There are dedicated bicycle painters and restorers. They charge big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I would also have to have the frame tapped and threaded for water cage screws. That steel frame can be done for that without making it weak. The China-made Discovery brand-new was the next-best thing I could find that I could afford.

My next bike, however, might be a new Cannondale Urban & Fitness model (such as the new Quick 6, which retails for $630) in stock bright green, looks more like chartreuse, with spring seat, black ape-hangers, custom fenders if any can be found for proper fit and a rear carrier in gloss black.

Why Cannondale Quick series? High build quality for the money. No cheesy components. I know. I bought one brand new at the Army PX in 1993 when I was in as an enlisted soldier and it was $650 even way back then. M500 model with purple paint job. I even put a fat seat on that one with black cruiser bars. The thing that sucked about it was that it had no kickstand and the dealer said a kickstand could not be installed on the aluminum frame without damaging it. The other thing that sucked was that it was stolen in 1994 right out my barracks but the army reimbursed me the full retail price because the bike was properly secured with a cable lock. The sweet things were that both the front and rear derailleurs had indexed shifting with levers and they were always so precise without ever missing a gear or making any noise. Cannondale always used top-of the line gears and brakes.

Like the Chicago-built Schwinns and the Mongooses of the 1970's, these Cannondales are definitely no department store bikes. Some exclusive Cannondale models can exceed the price you may have paid for your compact car when brand new.

Last edited by JonBailey; 12-10-18 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 11:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,423 Times in 2,072 Posts
Originally Posted by JonBailey
I know I can easily bolt on an ape-hanger bar, a spring seat and fenders to that vintage Varsity. Stock? No. Comfortable? Yes! I would rather have that (but only in perfect like-new condition) with my mods than the thing I have now made in China that dares puts the words "Schwinn Quality" on the front of the frame. That Varsity can be restored to perfect factory-new specs for so much money than I can't afford to give up right now. There are dedicated bicycle painters and restorers.

Why would you modify a Varsity when you can just buy a vintage10 speed suburban or world tourist? Same drive train and already upright.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-World-Tourist-mens-10-speed-Bicycle-street-vintage-antique-USED-WOW/273594589162?hash=item3fb3821fea:g:BNEAAOSwjKFZP

No need to add water bottle mounts either.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Cl...-/283297275154

Last edited by dedhed; 12-10-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-10-18, 11:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
I know I can easily bolt on an ape-hanger bar, a spring seat and fenders to that vintage Varsity. Stock? No. Comfortable? Yes! I would rather have that (but only in perfect like-new condition) with my mods than the thing I have now made in China that dares puts the words "Schwinn Quality" on the front of the frame. That Varsity can be restored to perfect factory-new specs for so much money than I can't afford to give up right now. There are dedicated bicycle painters and restorers. They charge big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I would also have to have the frame tapped and threaded for water cage screws. That steel frame can be done for that without making it weak. The China-made Discovery brand-new was the next-best thing I could find that I could afford.

You already beat this horse well past death in another silly thread you started.

You want a mint-condition 40 year old bike with some modifications for $150. I suspect you'll have better luck asking a department store Santa than you'll have starting another of these silly threads.
Old 12-10-18, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18564 Post(s)
Liked 15,991 Times in 7,511 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Why would you modify a Varsity when you can just buy a vintage10 speed suburban or world tourist? Same drive train and already upright.
Because that would eliminate the basis for this troll thread.
Old 12-10-18, 11:55 AM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-World-Tourist-mens-10-speed-Bicycle-street-vintage-antique-USED-WOW/273594589162?hash=item3fb3821fea:g:BNEAAOSwjKFZP

No need to add water bottle mounts either.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Cl...-/283297275154
Because I like the name Varsity and the look of the Varsity frame and have seen several around with upright bars added. But I would get a new Cannondale Quick 6 instead in bright green and likewise tailor it to my upright ergonomics just the same.

The new Cannondale will offer high quality components gears and brakes. Still much cheaper than professionally restoring an older Varsity.
Old 12-10-18, 11:57 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 323 Posts
What makes me think so is that I personally suffer from such medical issues riding bent over to reach a low front bar. I don't just think so: I know so. I know that I can breathe much easier now that I have my tall bar and I don't experience chest pains and heart palpitations as I used to especially on longer rides. Leaning forward onto the low front grips also cut the circulation in my arms. I know my own body. I know the modifications to my bike which have alleviated all those issues. I have asthma (aggravated by extreme hot or cold weather) and a heart condition to boot. I am age 54. I am obese, 255 pounds, 5-10, white male and working on exercise, diet and weight reduction. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. That big belly of mine also makes it uncomfortable to lean forward. Modifying a bicycle's parts for sitting posture can be a boon to some people with health issues. Apparently, people who design bicycles for new retail market are young, strong slender athletes who don't experience old-age health issues. Yes, fat or old people are more likely to suffer from the way most store-bought bikes are configured. There doesn't seem to be a geriatric class of affordable bikes on the market. Those recumbents are expensive and dangerous being that they are low to the ground and are not very visible to motor traffic. You can't wear a backpack while riding a recumbent machine because of the backrest. I need the backpack to pick up a few groceries at my local store. I have a car but I like to ride my bike for close-by errands as much as possible and weather-permitting. It helps get me in shape and saves the expense of car driving.
A lot of members have been in the past or still are 5’11” & #255. This is a typical weight for a sedentary American male. I would suggest since you are relatively new to the forum - try the Clydesdale forum. The folks there don’t judge and they frequently share beneficial tips about how to lose weight and get more comfortable on a bike.

The comfort modifications you are wishing were in place on your hybrid are available as others have said on different classes of bikes. I think Electra makes bikes with the farmer seats, forward cranks and swept back bars - I’m thinking it’s called the Townie?

A lot of members here are a lot more experienced than you. This is evident from the naïveté of your posts. This does not make those who are trying to steer you in the right direction snobs - quite the contrary. There is a wealth of practical cycling knowledge here. Like others, I have a weird feeling that your sentimentality about Schwinn Varsities being so great and your tendency to label being sedentary as a “medical condition” sounds Troll-ish to me. I mean - who is the person in your picture - you as a younger man? Just curious.

You say your tailbone is sore or bad or something and this is why you need the farmer seat. Newbs jump to this (erroneous) conclusion all the time. Unfortunately sitting more upright on a softer seat makes the condition worse, not better. The veterans here know this - somehow you missed the boat back in the 1970’s and failed to learn proper bike fit for fitness cycling. Lose the suspension seatpost, it robs energy and does nothing for your tailbone. Get some proper bike shorts and ride the factory seat until you have some actual miles in your resume’.

As for leaning forward, yes this can be uncomfortable for an overweight, novice rider on an ill-fitted hybrid. The low budget front suspension on your department store Schwinn is a boat anchor and a real detriment to you getting better. And the flat handlebars are sure to give you sore hands and elbows. I am (almost as) upset with the mass merchants for selling crap as you are. I’m afraid you wound up with a crap bike. Modifying that Schwinn Varsity with the bizzarre looking monkey bars and farmer seat are only going to make you subject to more ridicule out on the road. You think the ribbing you are receiving here is bad....

As a cyclist with 40 years of experience who rides drop bar road bikes I will say that I see folks all the time trying to get into flat bike trail riding on these sad contraptions all the time. I guess your decision to remain on flats is dictated by your inability to fathom the proper set-up to be comfortable and climb a hill at the same time. Out of shape, de-conditioned people breathe heavy, their hearts race, their legs burn. Is this a medical condition? Of course it is - but it is you taking stock of where you are now. If you’re short on cash and can’t afford a bike fit - don’t worry about it, get a few books on the subject from the Library. I still like the chapters on Bike fit from Greg Lemond’s Complete Book of Bicycling that was published over 20 years ago.

A lot of notions of what costitutes proper bike fit are contrary to the truth. When you sit upright you are compressing your spine and putting your weight on your sacrum. This is bad! A drop bar bike Allows forward rotation of the pelvis and relieves pressure. Drops on handlebars permit different hand positions that lessens pressure on hands and arms.

Being unable to bend forward at the waist due to a big belly, again - is not a medical condition per se. I mean if you want to get a clown bike and put a handicap sticker on it - yeah you can do that. But your medically modified comfort bike will never get you fit. It won’t support you getting much better as a rider. That’s what the members here are trying to drop a serious hint on you about. I’m sorry to say this but many novice cyclists don’t get it. And unfortunately it appears your are in that camp. You asked, so all we could do was to oblige and try to give you a reality slap.

On a more positive note. I too am quite nostalgic for “Made I USA” bicycle items. There is no reason why you could not track down a really nice touring type vintage Schwinn, Trek or Cannondale road bike that you could pick up your groceries with and carry your backpack with. Just got to do some research on what you are looking for and keep your eyes open for estate sales, Craig’s list, etc...

Folks here can actually help you. You might just need to get your head out of the sand and take stock in the reality of your 2018 self. When I was #268 and wearing size 44 pants. Few years ago I pledged to try to get back in shape with a big goal of getting u set 200# again. Being this overweight does make reducing the weight a slow process,but entirely do-able. Thus the suggestion to visit the Clydesdale/Athena forums for support. The weight does come off eventually. As you become more comfortable on the bike you enjoy yourself more and your perception of the terrain and distance you can master moves forward.

Old 12-10-18, 11:59 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12957 Post(s)
Liked 7,878 Times in 4,187 Posts
I would suggest bar-mount bottle cages if bending over is an issue. https://www.bikesomewhere.com/summit...r-bottle-cage/
I think near mint Varsinentals can still be had for less than $100 if you put in the time cruising CL and thrift stores.
My next bike, however, might be a new Cannondale Urban & Fitness model (such as the new Quick 6, which retails for $630) in stock bright green, looks more like chartreuse, with spring seat, black ape-hangers, custom fenders if any can be found for proper fit and a rear carrier in gloss black.

Why Cannondale Quick series? High build quality for the money. No cheesy components. I know. I bought one brand new at the Army PX in 1993 when I was in as an enlisted soldier and it was $650 even way back then. M500 model with purple paint job. I even put a fat seat on that one with black cruiser bars. The thing that sucked about it was that it had no kickstand and the dealer said a kickstand could not be installed on the aluminum frame without damaging it. The other thing that sucked was that it was stolen in 1994 right out my barracks but the army reimbursed me the full retail price because the bike was properly secured with a cable lock. The sweet things were that both the front and rear derailleurs had indexed shifting with levers and they were always so precise without ever missing a gear or making any noise. Cannondale always used top-of the line gears and brakes.

Like the Chicago-built Schwinns and the Mongooses of the 1970's, these Cannondales are definitely no department store bikes. Some exclusive Cannondale models can exceed the price you may have paid for your compact car when brand new.
The Cdale doesn't seem to have a geometry you're after.

I don't think Mongoose had a bike with shifters on it 'til the 1980s.

Funny that Cannondale and Mongoose have been owned by the same company for several years now.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-10-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 12:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Because I like the name Varsity and the look of the Varsity frame and have seen several around with upright bars added.
I would be shocked if the Suburban and Varsity were not the exact same EF frame with exactly the same geometry.
Old 12-10-18, 12:44 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 879 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61

A lot of members have been in the past or still are 5’11” & #255. This is a typical weight for a sedentary American male. I would suggest since you are relatively new to the forum - try the Clydesdale forum. The folks there don’t judge and they frequently share beneficial tips about how to lose weight and get more comfortable on a bike.

The comfort modifications you are wishing were in place on your hybrid are available as others have said on different classes of bikes. I think Electra makes bikes with the farmer seats, forward cranks and swept back bars - I’m thinking it’s called the Townie?

A lot of members here are a lot more experienced than you. This is evident from the naïveté of your posts. This does not make those who are trying to steer you in the right direction snobs - quite the contrary. There is a wealth of practical cycling knowledge here. Like others, I have a weird feeling that your sentimentality about Schwinn Varsities being so great and your tendency to label being sedentary as a “medical condition” sounds Troll-ish to me. I mean - who is the person in your picture - you as a younger man? Just curious.

You say your tailbone is sore or bad or something and this is why you need the farmer seat. Newbs jump to this (erroneous) conclusion all the time. Unfortunately sitting more upright on a softer seat makes the condition worse, not better. The veterans here know this - somehow you missed the boat back in the 1970’s and failed to learn proper bike fit for fitness cycling. Lose the suspension seatpost, it robs energy and does nothing for your tailbone. Get some proper bike shorts and ride the factory seat until you have some actual miles in your resume’.

As for leaning forward, yes this can be uncomfortable for an overweight, novice rider on an ill-fitted hybrid. The low budget front suspension on your department store Schwinn is a boat anchor and a real detriment to you getting better. And the flat handlebars are sure to give you sore hands and elbows. I am (almost as) upset with the mass merchants for selling crap as you are. I’m afraid you wound up with a crap bike. Modifying that Schwinn Varsity with the bizzarre looking monkey bars and farmer seat are only going to make you subject to more ridicule out on the road. You think the ribbing you are receiving here is bad....

As a cyclist with 40 years of experience who rides drop bar road bikes I will say that I see folks all the time trying to get into flat bike trail riding on these sad contraptions all the time. I guess your decision to remain on flats is dictated by your inability to fathom the proper set-up to be comfortable and climb a hill at the same time. Out of shape, de-conditioned people breathe heavy, their hearts race, their legs burn. Is this a medical condition? Of course it is - but it is you taking stock of where you are now. If you’re short on cash and can’t afford a bike fit - don’t worry about it, get a few books on the subject from the Library. I still like the chapters on Bike fit from Greg Lemond’s Complete Book of Bicycling that was published over 20 years ago.

A lot of notions of what costitutes proper bike fit are contrary to the truth. When you sit upright you are compressing your spine and putting your weight on your sacrum. This is bad! A drop bar bike Allows forward rotation of the pelvis and relieves pressure. Drops on handlebars permit different hand positions that lessens pressure on hands and arms.

Being unable to bend forward at the waist due to a big belly, again - is not a medical condition per se. I mean if you want to get a clown bike and put a handicap sticker on it - yeah you can do that. But your medically modified comfort bike will never get you fit. It won’t support you getting much better as a rider. That’s what the members here are trying to drop a serious hint on you about. I’m sorry to say this but many novice cyclists don’t get it. And unfortunately it appears your are in that camp. You asked, so all we could do was to oblige and try to give you a reality slap.

On a more positive note. I too am quite nostalgic for “Made I USA” bicycle items. There is no reason why you could not track down a really nice touring type vintage Schwinn, Trek or Cannondale road bike that you could pick up your groceries with and carry your backpack with. Just got to do some research on what you are looking for and keep your eyes open for estate sales, Craig’s list, etc...

Folks here can actually help you. You might just need to get your head out of the sand and take stock in the reality of your 2018 self. When I was #268 and wearing size 44 pants. Few years ago I pledged to try to get back in shape with a big goal of getting u set 200# again. Being this overweight does make reducing the weight a slow process,but entirely do-able. Thus the suggestion to visit the Clydesdale/Athena forums for support. The weight does come off eventually. As you become more comfortable on the bike you enjoy yourself more and your perception of the terrain and distance you can master moves forward.

I don't know you, but I can tell from here you're a genuinely helpful person. Good on you.
Old 12-10-18, 12:55 PM
Doug5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I dunno if it's going to make any difference, but anyway:

1) the butt pain from normal bicycles has to do with the limitations of saddle design, which is related to the overall riding position of the bicycle. So you won't get away from the butt pain until you stop buying bikes with normal seats. And that isn't exactly cheap to do.

2) there are ergo (noseless) saddles made for normal bicycles, but they have the problem of your butt sliding forward off the seat. So to prevent that, you have to adjust your riding position so that you are leaning forward more, which causes more hand pressure and neck strain. So in a very real way, these ergo seats don't really fix the problem so much as they move the butt pain to your hands and neck. You might like any of them, but many of these designs have been around for decades and despite the ongoing problem of bicycle-butt-pain, they have never become popular.

3) if you want a basically-upright bicycle that is more comfortable, that rides efficiently over long distances and that still looks and rides mostly normal, then get a RANS crank-forward bike. The cheapest one is around $1700 now, but they still sell frame sets I think. There are other bikes that are kinda-sorta like that and cost a lot less, but they do not ride nearly as well.

4) if you want the absolute best riding comfort and don't care about being looked at, get a recumbent. Most of the pain you get when riding a normal bike, doesn't really happen on a recumbent. And recumbent riding shorts don't have any padding at all in them. You don't get Shermer's neck if you don't ride Shermer's bike.

Last edited by Doug5150; 12-10-18 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 01:35 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Funny that Cannondale and Mongoose have been owned by the same company for several years now.
And that Schwinn is part of that same company as well
Old 12-10-18, 01:54 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Spring seat and black ape hangers do not make a bike comfortable. Why are you having a hard time understanding this?
Old 12-10-18, 02:15 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 1,066 Posts
FWIW, this is the before and after of a Schwinn Varsity I bought in 2006 for $5 at a garage sale. I replaced the handle bars, brake levers and pedals with parts on hand because I don't like the dropped bar riding position. Though I have been happily using sprung Brooks saddles (mostly B66 and B72) for over 45 years, I found the original Schwinn seat/saddle surprisingly comfortable for around town riding of less than an hour duration and kept it on, and have comfortably used the modified Varsity now for 12 years for shopping and trailer pulling with no problems.
Before:

After:

Old 12-10-18, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
FWIW, this is the before and after of a Schwinn Varsity I bought in 2006 for $5 at a garage sale. I replaced the handle bars, brake levers and pedals with parts on hand because I don't like the dropped bar riding position.
Try to keep up. As the OP already noted in post #15 :

"The main point of my thread was: why can't I buy a bicycle like the one I customized but be stock like this out of the box? Any idiot can spend extra money to bolt on extra parts aftermarket."
Old 12-10-18, 02:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by prj71
Spring seat and black ape hangers do not make a bike comfortable. Why are you having a hard time understanding this?
IMO, some spring seats do make a bike comfortable. Below are some of my very comfortable spring seats.

Old 12-10-18, 02:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Try to keep up. As the OP already noted...
So what? Are you a thread traffic cop?
Old 12-10-18, 02:36 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I can clearly see this thread is bringing out the best in us. Merry effin' Christmas!

Old 12-10-18, 02:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
1. big, comfy spring seats?
2. nice, tall ape-hanger cruising bars?

Bicycle manufacturers should take styling cues from Harley-Davidson cruisers.

The way most mountain bikes are configured hurts my body badly especially with my rheumatoid arthritis.
I am middle-aged too.
Aggggh!
I am middle-aged too.
As am I. Point being?
Old 12-10-18, 02:51 PM
indyfabz

So what? Are you a thread traffic cop?
Take a chill pill and enjoy his trolling.
Old 12-10-18, 02:57 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 123 Posts

Ah, nothing like the conversations here during winter.........

Wait, it's not winter yet.....wells shortly it is going to be a long winter with these kind of conversations..........
Old 12-10-18, 04:53 PM
JonBailey
Schwinn Discovery

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

Well, those things do make my BODY comfortable: I don't know about YOUR body.
Every human BODY is a physical and biological law unto itself.

It's not the COLOR of ape hangers that make them comfortable, it's the shape, size and form: I know that already.

It's just that the black finish would match the style of the Cannondale Quick 6. It has a stock black flat bar anyway and the stem and everything else on this particular model is blacked-out.

I have a chrome ape hanger on my Schwinn Discover because that model has chrome elements.

Last edited by JonBailey; 12-10-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 05:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12957 Post(s)
Liked 7,878 Times in 4,187 Posts
IMO, some spring seats do make a bike comfortable. Below are some of my very comfortable spring seats.

Your springs are going the wrong way!

Old 12-10-18, 06:06 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked 1,226 Times in 620 Posts

Sorry, sweetie ... hate to burst your xenophobic bubble, but the "Cannondale" bicycle you are having ecstatic contractions over is ... wait for it ... Chinese made.

Sad, I know, but there it is. "Cannondale" has long since ceased to have any connection whatsoever with "Maga". I know you'd like to think it does, but it doesn't. You'll have to take your little 'Maga' hat off.

FYI, "Cannondale" is now simply a label, one of several, within the ... wait for it ... Dorel portfolio. Dorel is a Canadian () conglomerate that owns several 'brands'. None of these are produced in the good ol' US of A.

So yes, by all means please do purchase a C'Dale "Quick", but just remember that when you do so you are purchasing a bicycle that is 'Made in China' and is from a brand that is owned by a Canadian consortium.
Old 12-10-18, 06:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by badger1
Sorry, sweetie ... hate to burst your xenophobic bubble, but the "Cannondale" bicycle you are having ecstatic contractions over is ... wait for it ... Chinese made.
I'd be willing to bet a $650 hybrid from ANY manufacturer will be made in China.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.