Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rivendell takes a firm stand on carbon! Aww yeah!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rivendell takes a firm stand on carbon! Aww yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 10:10 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 4,481 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
It's ridiculous to say that about a company that has always made a specialty of selling parts to make old racing bikes more comfortable for non-racers.
I'm referring to the sales pitch behind their new bikes. Peterson would be foolish if he didn't try to make a couple of bucks off other demographics with the parts he offers.

-Kurt

Old 04-04-10, 10:16 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
The Rivandale thing, I see this as a fine little company that makes bikes for eccentric fellow/ladies who like big, relaxed, sturdy, steel frames. Their frames sizing concept, IMO, are too big, lol and look sort of dorky. I imagine why guys buy their frames rather than an older Euro steelie is that the Euro steelies are racing bikes with aggressive geometry and intended to be ridden with lot's of seat post showing and low bars. Certainly no expert here, just my thought.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 04-04-10 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 10:23 AM
unprintable

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course - Green

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I am an A&P and work in the aviation industry. I also have Level III NDI training and various other training in composite manufacturing and more importantly inspection. There are problem with inspection of composite structures and engineers have great difficulty specifying inspection procedures and more importantly criteria for rejection of a component from inevitable damage.

It is very difficult to inspect composite structures. Metal is, speaking as an actual expert, much easier to inspect. This is in part because metal tends to fail from a visible defect or stress riser and it fails in a predictable manner of which we have hundreds of years behind us and good, reliable methods of inspection. Composite does not have this "field experience" but it is developing.

Composite material have fantastic properties, can be very strong and durable and have huge life cycles. We just have to get better at inspection and to inspect a material we have to have some way of quantifying the degradation. Therein lies the issue, carbon fiber tends to fail, bam, all at once. One inspection method the part, when new is mapped using XXXXXX (I removed this info on edit).

The bicycle industry needs an inspection procedure for highly stressed, damage prone parts like cf forks, bars, stems, seat posts etc.

I am a steel guy, aluminum as well, these are well understood materials. Steel and aluminum can be recycled and with a bicycle can be built in a manner which has huge life cycle duration and low potential for catastrophic failure, cf is just quite there yet and IMO should remain a material for those seeking the ultimate performance knowing full well the life cycle is limited, ultimate performance comes at a price that is not just measured in dollars. But, as I said, slowly we will learn to build and inspect these new materials.
Excellent post. Thanks for the helpful information!
Old 04-04-10, 10:35 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That's exactly what I don't understand either. Why buy a $1,000-$2,000 dedication to a frame that sells for a tenth of that on the current market? You can easily get a Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL frame for under $300 if you know what you're looking for, and I assume anyone interested in steel enough to buy a Riv does know what they're looking for. If one of the advantages of steel is that it lasts safely, there doesn't seem to be much need for buying a new steel bike at that price.

I understand what Soma and Surly do...it makes sense. You can get a new bike, with all the bells and whistles, at a reasonable complete price ... I do not understand the market for Rivendell.
So, a new business plan for Riv' would be to buy up old 531 frames, Raleigh Internationals, Paramount touring, Mondias and other bike of "reasonable" geometry and rehab them the Riv' way... "we are green, we reCycle"
Old 04-04-10, 10:38 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by robatsu
That is a central part of the paradox for me. One of the core tenets of Rivendell stuff is that a lot of the old ways are good - the usual stuff about clearances, lugs, that sort of thing. But somehow, you then have to sell the idea that it is worth paying a lot more for the new manifestations of the old designs.

Back when Riv was starting off, this actually made more economic sense. Sure, there were still cheap old bikes like there are now. But there was no ebay, craigslist, etc. So there was a lot more overhead in finding what you specifically needed in a used bike example - you'd basically have to travel to see the bike, spend a lot of afternoons at garage sales, and so forth. For those who don't particularly enjoy that sort of thing, that is a formidable barrier, spending a month of Sundays with no assurance that you'll hit paydirt.

I think that the emergence of these technologies that make buying an old bike much easier & more of a sure bet have had a lot to do with where Riv's products have gone. Back then, Riv's bikes really were much more faithful replicas of 70's road bikes than they are now becoming. But now, the originals are literally available at your fingertips - if I weren't really picky about brands, at any moment I can probably browse at least 100 bikes on CL/ebay that fit me and are along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Hence Riv's move into esoterica like 650b, double top tubes, unusual stuff that really isn't widely available anywhere. Communications technology has really forced them to move beyond selling new renditions of the old. Up to a point, buying new commands a premium, and the makers of these frames can capitalize on that so long as they stay, I dunno, I'm just pulling a figure out of my hat, maybe around 1k. Custom ones can go higher for the fact that they are custom. Riv was selling boatloads of Bleriots for $750, but for whatever reasons they abandoned that.

And that, folks, is ultimately why the Internet was invented. No, not to put Riv out of business, but to make it easy to buy old bikes.
That's a very interesting post and I think it makes a lot of sense. Since I wasn't collecting bikes prior to the internet, I never considered that it might present challenges where a Rivendell could provide answers.
Old 04-04-10, 10:42 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
So, a new business plan for Riv' would be to buy up old 531 frames, Raleigh Internationals, Paramount touring, Mondias and other bike of "reasonable" geometry and rehab them the Riv' way... "we are green, we reCycle"
Here's a dealer that does that -- and also sells new steel frames by Riv, Soma, Surly.

Some very interesting "renaissance" projects in their gallery.

https://www.renaissancebicycles.com/
Old 04-04-10, 11:23 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, can you imagine if this rivendell guy bought an airline ticket and ended up having to fly on Boeing's new 787??

The 787's all-composite fuselage makes it the first composite airliner in production. While the Boeing 777 contains 50% aluminum and 12% composites, the new airplane uses 50% composite (mostly carbon fiber reinforced plastic), 15% aluminum, and other materials.
There's.... a.... crack... on the frame!!!

Last edited by electrik; 04-04-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-04-10, 11:34 AM
robatsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
That's a very interesting post and I think it makes a lot of sense. Since I wasn't collecting bikes prior to the internet, I never considered that it might present challenges where a Rivendell could provide answers.
Yeah, back in the day I never thought much about buying used, not being a flea market, garage sale, classified ads kind of guy. I did once buy a bike from a shop where the buy put up 50% for a special order and never came back. After a year, shop let me have it for the remaining 50%.

But now, I haven't bought new for about 10 years and I'm not really sure what it would take unless I dusted off my triathlon ambitions and started doing masters events. The other economic part of old bikes is that the depreciation is already fully realized and, unlike a car, it isn't like you are facing major hidden risks like replacing the transmission after a couple of months.

Just recently, there was a guy on CL here trying to unload a Hilsen for 1700 OBO (Sorry,not to be picking on Riv some more, just that I remember the ad, could have been any new bike). Said it was minty and barely ridden, decided he liked MTB's more. That is at least a 1300 dollar bath & I'm sure that the hit is multiples of that on the latest/greatest 5k+ road bikes. So for a middle-aged guy like me who isn't competitive and doesn't need to shave seconds, I have got a real hard time buying new. I, and members of this forum, are particularly independent in that manner since we don't need to rely upon shops for the type of service that they will typically do for gratis following a new purchase (adjustments, etc). Whenever I go to LBS, I'm always both surprised smugly contemptuous of the able-bodied/able minded adults bringing in bikes to have really trivial things like flats fixed and brakes adjusted.
Old 04-04-10, 02:03 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
thanks for reminding me to check out what's new over at:

https://www.bustedcarbon.com/
Old 04-04-10, 02:28 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Riv was selling boatloads of Bleriots for $750, but for whatever reasons they abandoned that.
I remember reading that it was because online retailers were selling the frames for well below the MRSP and Rivendell got their panties in a bunch. I guess selling the bikes for reasonable prices just didn't feed into the "image" they wanted.
Old 04-04-10, 03:43 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whenever I go to LBS, I'm always both surprised smugly contemptuous of the able-bodied/able minded adults bringing in bikes to have really trivial things like flats fixed and brakes adjusted.
+1
Old 04-04-10, 04:29 PM
altersego

Bikes: '80 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '84 Bianchi Limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my rambling 2¢:

I wouldn't use old or new carbon, but that's just me. I like steel and I'm not a racer. Most carbon bikes with the morphed together joining points look really dumb. Things don't have to look so painfully high-tech to function that way.

A big problem is that most people probably buy bikes that are ill-suited for their cycling needs. They want a racing bike because they got pumped watching the Tour de France or something. They want carbon cuz it's demeaning when the other dudes with the ugly bikes blow past. When I started getting into riding I thought I'd want some lightweight, racy thing. What a dumb thought. Like I said, I don't even race. I don't care much about breaking 15 mph unless I'm running late for work. Maybe I'm not alive??

Everybody has feelings attached to their bike(s). If Petersen gives carbon fiber and aluminum frames an earful (eyeful?), then somebody gets their panties in a bunch. Even if he's wrong somebody wants to think their right. It'll never end.

While I do feel the carbon-for-steel-fork-swap is a bit sanctimonious, I'd say Petersen has a well-earned place in the sandbox and can do whatever the **** he wants.
Old 04-04-10, 04:46 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mos6502
I remember reading that it was because online retailers were selling the frames for well below the MRSP and Rivendell got their panties in a bunch. I guess selling the bikes for reasonable prices just didn't feed into the "image" they wanted.
Yeah, there are times that I feel that Rivendell is still in business not BECAUSE OF Grant, but in spite of him.
Old 04-04-10, 05:40 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,260 Posts
Originally Posted by altersego
my rambling 2¢:snip... I'd say Petersen has a well-earned place in the sandbox and can do whatever the **** he wants.

Offering straight blades isn't a bad marketing decision if he expects to replace carbon forks. It works better aesthetically with modern bikes.

Those cast fork ends would look beautiful on a traditional fork though.
Old 04-04-10, 06:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
CF fork vs. steel fork? Not interested.

$200 steel fork? A chrome Tange at $110, if I was going to spend 1/4 to 1/3 of the bike value on a fork.

Just not in my realm of concern, at this point.

Trade-in?

Marketing, I suppose.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-04-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-04-10, 06:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked 4,481 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by illwafer
thanks for reminding me to check out what's new over at:

https://www.bustedcarbon.com/
...of which there hasn't been much of anything recent.

-Kurt

Old 04-04-10, 06:18 PM
divineAndbright

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If rivendell is that concerned with safety maybe they should stop producing bicycles and look into making stuff for less dangerous and gutless sports and activities like bowling or chess.
Old 04-04-10, 06:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked 6,926 Times in 2,675 Posts
When it comes to shirts, bowlers have it way over cyclists.

Neal
Old 04-04-10, 08:09 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,260 Posts
When it comes to shirts, bowlers have it way over cyclists.
Yeah but the shoes are going to be too tough to call.

YBC 5 Pin League, 10 years old in 68, 210 average, 296 high score.
Old 04-04-10, 08:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
I'm sure carbon fiber forks work just fine, but they sure are ugly.
Old 04-04-10, 08:40 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by altersego
A big problem is that most people probably buy bikes that are ill-suited for their cycling needs. They want a racing bike because they got pumped watching the Tour de France or something.
I worked in a couple different shops for a couple years. Here's the thing: lots of people want road bikes. Practically no one wants a racing bike. Now, back when Rivendell started, it may have been that there were practically no road bikes available that weren't racing bikes. I wasn't cycling then, because I was nine years old or so, but given the MTB explosion and the death of the touring market, that makes sense to me. But now, perhaps in part due to Grant Petersen's influence, that is no longer true. And that includes virtually all levels of the market. But most people aren't even buying road bikes. They're buying hybrids.

As for the carbon fork nonsense, it's just that. I can only repeat what has already been pointed out about what would happen if these things were actually breaking all the time.

And carbon does not, in fact, necessarily fail suddenly and with no warning. Just as steel does not necessary fail slowly and with lots of warning. I've had a steel fork break, by the way. The left blade cracked all the way around, up near the crown. My front rack was holding the fork together. That was pretty scary. I don't know how quickly it happened, but one day I was braking normally, the next there was all kinds of vibration happening. Any fork can mess you up if you aren't paying attention. Most people don't spend a lot of time closely inspecting their forks for damage before each ride. I know I wasn't; I thought I was safe. CF forks are as safe as they need to be, and as has already been pointed out, there are all kinds of ways in which you can go over the bars and do a face plant, the failure of a CF fork being just one of them. I have a lot more miles on my carbon fiber fork (which is on my road racing bike, yes) than I did on that steel fork, and it's doing just fine, thanks.
Old 04-04-10, 08:44 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm sure carbon fiber forks work just fine, but they sure are ugly.
I used to think so, too, but I got used to it. Like 'em fine, now. Mostly; there are some ugly forks out there. But a lot of them are made out of steel, too.

I used to only really like porters and stouts. But then I started living with someone who preferred lighter and sweeter beers, like pale ales, wheat beers, that sort of thing. So I ended up drinking a lot of things that I could see through, and I came to realize that I had been missing out on a lot. I developed a much broader palette and appreciation for what I was drinking, and now I have a lot more options to make me happy.

Of course, bikes are not beer, but I'm just saying.
Old 04-04-10, 09:09 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had the CF fork on my Civia Hyland recalled by Civia and replaced by a steel fork they provided. This on a supposedly premium level commuter/hybrid bike. Apparently one owner had a massive fork failure so they recalled all of them. Per an exchange of emails with the Mr Ramstack of Civia they have no idea of whether the bike or fork were mistreated prior to the failure.

To me CF components and frames are fine for those who need the ultimate in light weight road bikes but it's use is questionable for other types of bikes, many of which are subject to inexperienced and casual/no maintenance owners.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 04-05-10, 06:50 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clubman
Offering straight blades isn't a bad marketing decision if he expects to replace carbon forks. It works better aesthetically with modern bikes.

Those cast fork ends would look beautiful on a traditional fork though.
I'm using those dropouts on the frame I'm building. They're nice, but a little thick on the socket wall, so I've spent a good amount of time thinning them.

Old 04-05-10, 07:00 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This is a three page thread about Grant. He can't possibly be sad about that.
(Oops - four.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.