Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 03:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@Wylde06 - Ouch! I had a similar pothole experience a couple of months backs, hit it at 24 mph but just ended up with both tires pinch-flatted...a friend a few bikes back was amazed I didn't go down. Heal quickly and well!

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-29-17, 03:31 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks. Surprisingly my front wheel stayed true. Hit the pothole at close to 25, combined with my 200 pounds...i really though it would be shot. I wish the guy still worked at the shop that rebuilt this wheel for me 2 years ago..i would totally buy him a 6 pack of beer, because that was an intense hit for it be true afterwords.
Old 05-29-17, 05:38 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm also going for a day off today. Gonna do some light upper body/ab work later and then work for a bit.

Even with your monster weekend? And where are you mtb'ing?
Turns out, nowhere. Woke up with a super sore throat and feeling like I was coming down with a cold so I bailed. So that's 1/3 rides for the currently not so monstrous weekend, sigh. Oh well, still had fun visiting the bay and seeing some friends and good roads.
Old 05-29-17, 05:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,437 Times in 1,801 Posts
Nice, at least there's that.

I'm going to hit up Fiesta for some 20's tomorrow. According to the PMC chart I should kill it - but we'll see.
Old 05-29-17, 08:56 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Aaaand ended up just sleeping in today instead of riding. Oh well, worth it. Only 8ish hours for the week though. Mountain biking tomorrow.
kind of figured this would happen after saturday. felt like super garbage yesterday, wanted to take it off but then would have felt silly after whining for weeks about being forced to take time off so i got in some easy running and riding anyway. it would have been pretty difficult to follow up saturday's ride with another.
Old 05-29-17, 09:05 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drove up north for a running race this morning which i was planning to just do easier as a workout to score as the 5th man for my team (bending the rules a bit by going by the letter of my doctor's "don't race" guideline instead of the spirit), ended up going surprisingly well given everything (~33 flat for 10k progressive tempo, really fun closing fast and reeling a bunch of guys in). brought my bike along with me because ive lived in the bay area for something like 4 years yet ive never ridden north of the peninsula (i mean, ive done a race in sacramento, but that doesnt really count). interesting to see what the roads are like for people who live in the city. TBH, wasnt the biggest fan. seems like theres less options, less bike lanes and a lot of cars (though it was a holiday so presumably theres less traffic at like 6am on a weekday). still a cool experience, and being able to get 5k ft in 2.5hrs always makes me happy (though legs were pretty garbage for the first 20-30 minutes immediately post run).
Old 05-29-17, 09:26 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
kind of figured this would happen after saturday. felt like super garbage yesterday, wanted to take it off but then would have felt silly after whining for weeks about being forced to take time off so i got in some easy running and riding anyway. it would have been pretty difficult to follow up saturday's ride with another.
I honestly think I would have physically been OK doing a decent ride as long as I kept it z2/z3, but we had plans at around noon and didn't get to bed early enough, and with no one else coming with me to hold me accountable I mentally just bailed. I was genuinely surprised at how high the TSS turned out for Saturday's ride though. It was hard, but I had a decent amount left at the end (though I did take Tunitas pretty easy at the end to chat with some of the guys). But then on Sunday, we were at a convention around lots and lots of people, so I think that's probably what got me the sore throat/potential cold.

Anyway, glad to have ridden with you and hopefully we'll do it again some time. Maybe some of the other locals can come too. And maybe with enough training I'll be able to hang on the climbs next time
Old 05-30-17, 04:53 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
What is the max recovery time, sans injury, dehydration etc., anyone here would expect from a near max training effort <90min?

Junior's big event is on Friday July 2nd (U23 RR, no expectations) and I'd like junior to do a (Pikes Peak) pre-runon Sat - 6 days before before we drive out (I hate planes).
Near max effort - means RPE 90% starting at 9,000' finishing 14,000. We have no data to run HR or power to.

I'm trying to time things with travel, support etc. That hill cannot be done easily without support, or a car to start, and the climbing bike, which is different than the road bike, in not going to be flown, so I'll drive it. Current thinking is doing 60 miles of a regular 95 mile group ride on Sat (pick him up at turnaround) and then 2 hour break, and 90 min pretty hard effort on Sat - 6 days before.

Doing it Friday - is a logistical issue - maybe. Skipping it means can't pre-run until near the race time in Aug and again, the pre-run may be too close to race.

Last edited by Doge; 05-30-17 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 05:42 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Pretty sure that's one of those "it depends on a many factors" questions. Old guy doing 100 mpw vs kid doing 300 mpw. 7 hours of sleep vs 9 hours. Huge difference. And what is done during the prior week. I'm in the middle. Guessing, if I'm moderately rested, I'll still be moderately rested the next day. 2 nights of good sleep and I won't be able to tell I ever did the 90 minute effort. 3 nights and I'll feel better than before the effort.
Old 05-30-17, 08:39 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Liked 372 Times in 254 Posts
That is my thinking, but I'm not, and never have been all that finely tuned.

Then there are those guys that do the Giro and are wasted for Le Tour. Of course, that is different. I'm just thinking a Sat ride is not going to hurt a Friday ride.
Worse case a Monday ride and then go RPE - 70% - just to check out the gearing and O2 tanks, and learn to love the hill.

I got the new car and he can lie flat all the way to Louisville.
Old 05-30-17, 09:22 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Mercer island hot laps. Smaller group than we usually get because the weather was threatening.

Was struggling hold wheels tonight for some reason.. Looked at the data and it was hard, but nothing out of the ordinary. Small group caused it, I guess. I don't know. Not too worried about it. Even though power wasn't crazy, set some new PB's on strava for time, which is odd in the small group. So maybe it was hard?
Old 05-31-17, 02:16 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Liked 634 Times in 338 Posts
spent the weekend up in maine, mainly eating and drinking beer (something I almost never do), managed to get in 3x10 @ 100% on my trainer there. now back home, yesterday did 5x10 sweet spot and today 3x12 sweet spot. ctl is 41, if I manage to follow the plan it should be 64 in 6 weeks
Old 05-31-17, 02:38 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to be back after collarbone and ribs. Rode 3 hr Monday with three 8 minutes intervals.
Old 05-31-17, 04:40 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt really good last week and took a couple cat4 climb KOM. Then watched my teammates go do a big race weekend while I worked on aero positioning and core stability in a lavatory. I blame others children for this cataclysm upon my bowels.
Old 05-31-17, 04:44 PM
mattm
**** that

Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
I worked on aero positioning and core stability in a lavatory. I blame others children for this cataclysm upon my bowels.
I thought this was maybe a typo, but now I get it, I think.

my race videos
Old 05-31-17, 04:51 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In other words I made spending hours bent double as relevant to training status as I could.
Old 05-31-17, 04:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,109 Times in 1,418 Posts
Aiming to get to mid-90s before Nevada City. I am going to try and drop 3 pounds too. Back to my no-crap diet. (I could probably do it in a day with the norovirus that's going around but I would rather not).
Old 05-31-17, 09:54 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Been dragging all year. Not hitting metrics, lethargic, etc. Teammate recommended getting blood checked. Results came in showing I've got some good ole iron deficient anemia. Crit in the mid-30%, hemoglobin around 11g/dl, iron at 35 ug/dl, ferritin less than 5 ng/ml.

At least the results help explain the dragging, but sounds like the rebuild process is a couple months.
Well damn ... doc did some follow up blood testing and it turns out the detected anemia is due to me likely having celiac. Tests were positive, but we're going to modify diet and retest in 8 weeks to confirm. I get to be one of the super cool dudes now asking "ummm ... is that gluten free?"
Old 05-31-17, 09:54 PM
hack

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Aiming to get to mid-90s before Nevada City. I am going to try and drop 3 pounds too. Back to my no-crap diet. (I could probably do it in a day with the norovirus that's going around but I would rather not).
Are you doing the night sprints on Saturday? Looks fun and in my wheelhouse.
Old 05-31-17, 10:24 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Easier team ride tonight. Still hammred the hills but it definitely inflated the TSS a bit.

CTL/ATL at 105/112. Feeling better today than yesterday, but still feel my legs are missing a bit of kick somewhere. It'll come back.

One last night of ****ty sleeping to get through my last test in school (ever~!) and I should be able to start recovering up for Saturday!
Old 06-01-17, 05:32 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Off the back the last 2 days following my crash on Monday. Will pick my bike up tonight from the shop and hopefully get a ride in. Everyone at the shop is pretty confident that even with the dent in the top tube the bike is perfectly fine to ride. There isnt any kind of crease and no cracks near it and the frame is perfectly straight. I finished the ride after the crash it rode perfectly fine, so I think I will just leave it as is...as much as it will suck to look at.

Shoulder is still pretty sore, but getting better. Hoping to race Saturday, but will determine that after getting a ride in and seeing how my shoulder feels on the bike.
Old 06-01-17, 06:31 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
chill week this week recovering from KSR and trying to get over this gnarly cold I seem to have picked up. next week starts crit training for intelligentsia.
Old 06-01-17, 07:29 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Well damn ... doc did some follow up blood testing and it turns out the detected anemia is due to me likely having celiac. Tests were positive, but we're going to modify diet and retest in 8 weeks to confirm. I get to be one of the super cool dudes now asking "ummm ... is that gluten free?"

Damn, man. That sucks. But good to have a diagnosis.

Hope you get things sorted out.
Old 06-01-17, 07:57 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Yikes! My mom has diagnosed celiac but it wasn't caught until she was like 60. It explained sooooooooo much. Anyway glad they caught your thing. Be sure to add in a follow up "is it sustainably grown?" when asking about GF options.
Old 06-01-17, 09:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,437 Times in 1,801 Posts
bummer about the celiac hack - but I'm glad you're learning things and on the path back to health. on the plus side, if you're a beer drinker, you'll probably lose some weight now . I hear that manahattans and red wine have less calories than a pint of IPA .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.