Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 07:29 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
First, I'm glad you're (mostly) okay!

Helmets are a one-use item. Cut the straps off that one and throw it in the garbage, or keep it as a souvenir, just don't use it again.

Bicycle helmets all have to meet the same minimum safety standard regardless of cost. The basic ones you see in a bike shop for ~$40 are actually pretty good. More expensive ones are lighter and have better ventilation.

Yoga will help with sore muscles, but it won't do squat for a concussion. If those headaches don't go away today or tomorrow, go to a doctor.
Thanks for the info. I figured it was pretty much the same as child car seats. I do like the idea of keeping it as a souvenir.

I had a much worse concussion about a year and half ago from simply tripping over my feet in the back yard and face planting on the pavement. I ended up spending a few weeks avoiding TV, computer (aside from minimal work that I had to tend to) and resting the brain as much as possible.

This one seems to be a very mild one, but I am watching it closely. I was already considering making an appointment with my doc just to get everything checked out. (I've also been having problems with my knees since I've started cycling and at this point feel that it would be better to get that checked out as well.)
Old 10-19-15, 07:54 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Knees are probably due to bike fit. If you haven't been fit to your bike, even a basic fit at a bike shop will help. It does make a big difference.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-19-15, 08:03 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have noticed that it's worse when riding my cruiser vs my road bike.

I remember back in high school when I was in weight training class, I ended up having to give up squats do to the same thing. I would show up to my next class with my knees iced down almost every day. Ironically the leg sled didn't present the same problem. My coach said it was tendonitis (although she wasn't a doctor so who knows.)
Old 10-19-15, 08:20 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ugh, so sorry to hear this YogaKat!

Take that head injury seriously. See a doctor. Don't ride today. The treatment for concussion (which you likely do have a concussion) is usually rest, take it easy, no exercise, little stimulation. Concussions are weird - they don't "look" like anything but it's your brain, no organ more important. Take care.
Old 10-19-15, 08:40 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @valygrl

I've already called my doc and will be heading over there in about 15 minutes to get checked out. It's making me nuts knowing that I can't ride, but my brain is more important than jumping the gun for enjoyment and risking further damage.

EDIT:
Just got back from the doctor's office. My regular doc is not in so I had to wait in line for 'convenient care." Upon talking to the nurse, about the only thing they could offer was to take my vitals and do an x-ray that wouldn't tell us much or send me to the ER for a CT scan. I've decided to wait it out a few days and do the old rest routine as much as possible then see where I'm at. (Of course this corresponds with my deadline to close the monthly books for work on the 21st. grrr)

I did pick up a new helmet that will be waiting for me when I'm ready.

I guess the upshot is that I WAS wearing a helmet this time rather than my last concussion from pure clumsiness and face planting on my concrete porch (no bike involved.) That sucker took a good three weeks to recover from and I still have a scar on my forehead as a reminder.

Guess I will get off the computer for a bit and rest. Then do the rest/work/rest/work routine.

Last edited by YogaKat; 10-19-15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-19-15, 02:12 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
@YogaKat, please do yourself a HUGE favor and get a GOOD helmet. Any helmet is better than none (by a lot), but think this way: do you have a $35 head or a $150 head? Better protection is offered by the more expensive helmets because they fit better, behave better in a crash, and if properly adjusted, won't move on your head in a crash. Spend your money on safety early, bike stuff later.

Sorry this happened to you, but it happens to all of us. Don't let it deter you! I'm so glad you're okay!
Old 10-19-15, 03:25 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@sarals, I was reading a thread earlier basically saying there was no difference but I see your point and trust your judgement. I have the one I got today and really went through all of them trying to find as much cover as possible. I know there are a lot anti-helmet people out there but I don't even want to imagine what my head would have looked like without one. I really don't think I would have been able to stand up. I heart helmets.

After reading your post I will be investing in a higher end helmet and keep this one as a backup. I am a little munchkin so I typically have to shop in the kids size helmets to get a good snug fit. This also applies to glasses and clothing, etc.

I totally agree on safety first because it's not a matter of if, but when. After this happened I basically told my friends "well it was bound to happen at some point."

That being said, I do have to take some responsibility. I was having WAY too much fun running full speed around those curves. (my full speed anyway)

Thank you for your input and concern and don't worry, the aches and pains are irritating, but I can't wait until I'm healed up and ready to get back out. That is not to say that I will jump on my bike until I am convinced that my brain is ready though... as tempting as it may be.
Old 10-19-15, 03:52 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

YogaKat, all of the women on here ARE Munchkins (except Valygrl, she's Small But Mighty ) You should be able to find a helmet, in adult size, that will fit you. IMHO, your plan is good. I have $35 helmet in my car, with a pair of cycling shoes, that I keep as a backup. As I said, a cheap helmet is way better than none!

It's unfortunate but true that at some point we will hit the deck. As Racer Ex famously said about the clothing we wear, we're "wearing women's underwear with a styrofoam cup on our heads". There are ways around that, there is tougher clothing (mountain bike gear is pretty stout), but a good helmet is designed to absorb impact so your head doesn't. They're like a Space Age styrofoam cup, engineered! They do break, but they're designed to. Those of us who race (just about everyone on this forum) wears lightweight lycra kits (jerseys and shorts), and they're great for keeping a rider cool and keeping wind resistance down, but they don't protect against a fall. A helmet will. Road rash is, in a way, acceptable. A severe head injury is not.
Old 10-19-15, 04:39 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
YogaKat, all of the women on here ARE Munchkins (except Valygrl, she's Small But Mighty ) .
I have truly found my home!

I do have to mention that I was wearing typical biking shorts and a light moisture wicking top. Neither have any damage - not even a snag. Yet underneath road rash galore. How weird is that? Gotta love Racer Ex's description!

Aside from the brain rattle (which I'm obviously not happy about because well I love my brain.) I have mixed feelings on the crash, bruising and road rash itself: a little irritation, a little relief, a little pride, a little defeat, etc. Not saying I want to get more but still... am I crazy?
Old 10-19-15, 05:09 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat
I know there are a lot anti-helmet people out there
Not a lot, but they are very vocal. There are pedantic and dumb people in all walks of life who believe all manner of things that dovetail with their dogma. Physics seem to be less concerned with dogma.

I have a wrecked a lot of helmets over the years, motorcycle and bicycle. I never would have been less injured without one. I also wear one skiing after my friend got TKO'd on a bunny slope after hitting some ice going pretty slow.

I started off "old school" doing big air BMX stuff without, and skiing without. So it's not like I don't have a comparison.

Bike helmets all use injected foam as the primary protective device. Crush the foam, reduce the force of the blow. Skateboard and BMX helmets provide the most coverage and are generally thicker, at the cost of weight, venting, and style.

The more expensive "bike specific" helmets have better retention systems, some of which are engineered as a secondary shock absorber. They also have integrated shells or webbing to keep the helmet from splitting apart on the initial blow (as an aside, I once had six impact marks all going in different directions from a moto gp crash, and I broke a bike helmet into 5 pieces).

Any helmet sold in the US has to meet a minimum standard.

Sorry to read about the crash. Get well. Rest that noggin.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 10-19-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 05:47 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

What Ex said!

And no, you're not crazy...but you may be a racer chick (probably worse)
Old 10-19-15, 06:24 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Racer Ex. That was a very informative explanation and incredibly helpful. I actually crashed in my skateboarding helmet because that was simply what I had before I starting riding a bike. I used to skate around a lot as a kid without a helmet because well no one ever even mentioned it, but these days I require my daughter to wear one as I do myself (whether skating or riding.)

Believe it or not I went to school with someone that did big air BMX back in the day and went on to be famous. I think he now does more charity and showcase stuff. I do know he's been through a terrible amount of surgeries and such through the years.

Originally Posted by sarals
What Ex said!

And no, you're not crazy...but you may be a racer chick (probably worse)
You just made me blush.
Old 10-20-15, 03:40 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Knees are probably due to bike fit. If you haven't been fit to your bike, even a basic fit at a bike shop will help. It does make a big difference.
I've been thinking about this. I keep reading posts about knees and it's always the same answer. I've been hesitant about checking into getting fit to my bikes because they aren't high end, basically just a Huffy Cruiser special (which is the one that really kills my knees) and the other is a late 80s road bike that I got for next to nothing. I guess I've also procrastinated because I've had this silly notion that I will be told to stop riding.

I just called one of the LBS that most of the locals rave about and he was very helpful explaining what I can do. Upon asking him about how much he charges, he said absolutely nothing that he feels that it's ridiculous to charge some of the outrageous amounts that some shops do.

If I can't figure this out on my own, I will be heading over there this weekend to see if we can get rid of some of this pain I've been experiencing. Next step will be a doctor's visit, hopefully it won't come to that though. I've just been going on with the knee pain, but it's time to get it done before I do permanent damage to my knees.
Old 10-20-15, 06:17 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Just an FYI, aside from position, crank length can make a big difference with knee pain. Both my wife and I do much better with shorter crank arms. You can find used cranks pretty cheap on Ebay, we can probably help you figure out what you need.

The thing to remember in this is "How much are pain free knees worth?" Spend $50-100 getting things right is a lot cheaper than deductibles and co-pays.
Old 10-20-15, 10:24 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank arms are something that I had not even considered. That makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by YogaKat; 10-21-15 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-21-15, 11:56 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My apologies for the double post, I like to talk a lot and this has become my home away from home.

I finally got to get out and grab a short 15 miles this morning. I know it's only been a few days, but I was getting downright crabby last night!
Old 10-22-15, 09:53 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@YogaKat , cycling ought to be easy on the knees. I have damaged knees from squatting big weights with poor technique years ago (many years ago) but I almost never have knee trouble on the bike.

Your cruiser is probably not a great fit, and pushing a singlespeed uphill when it is less than perfectly set up is problematic. And the "new" vintage does look on the large side for you, so your friendly fitter may have his work cut out to make it work perfectly. So it may be that you aren't going to achieve nirvana until you buy the new road bike. In the meantime, make a virtue of necessity and try to spin a small gear rather than grind a big one. It's far kinder on the knees and a good habit to get into for the future - saves your strength.
Old 10-22-15, 10:36 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Italics mine:

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '97 (the class of 2015, and the BF audience):

Wear sunscreen. Especially if you live at altitude.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. Especially without a helmet.

You are not as fat as you imagine. But you're a cyclist so until you hit that Sudanese famine victim look, you will be complaining.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing every day that scares you. Except ride places where there's no shoulder, a 65 MPH speed limit, and heavy traffic. That's dumb.

Sing.

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss.

Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself. Quit hating on people with 3 SRM's and a $5000 wheelset. Accept that genetic freaks happen

Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements. Especially the ones from when you bought the three SRM's and $5000 wheelset.

Stretch. And roll.

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Enjoy each time you drop that 20-something on a climb.

Get plenty of calcium.

Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.
(Especially applicable to the current discussion)

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's. But your TT time? That one is all on you.

Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own. Even if it ends up setting off the metal detectors at airports.

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them....nah.

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders. And riding up that mountain was easy.

Respect your elders. You will be them one day.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out. The bike will always be there for you.

Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Mary Schmich
Copyright © 2015, Chicago Tribune

Last edited by Racer Ex; 10-22-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 11:11 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
@YogaKat , cycling ought to be easy on the knees. I have damaged knees from squatting big weights with poor technique years ago (many years ago) but I almost never have knee trouble on the bike.

Your cruiser is probably not a great fit, and pushing a singlespeed uphill when it is less than perfectly set up is problematic. And the "new" vintage does look on the large side for you, so your friendly fitter may have his work cut out to make it work perfectly. So it may be that you aren't going to achieve nirvana until you buy the new road bike. In the meantime, make a virtue of necessity and try to spin a small gear rather than grind a big one. It's far kinder on the knees and a good habit to get into for the future - saves your strength.
I keep reading that cycling is supposed to be easier on the knees than most other things.

I've been thinking that as fun as the cruiser may be, that my pushing it so hard before I got the new one has most likely been a big factor. I mean, they are called cruisers for a reason right? Plus that's the one that I really notice the knee pain after riding.

Since the accident, I've decided to pull it back on my rides and just work on consistency and building strength rather than trying so hard to get that extra mile per hour. Embrace those 20 miles each day and relax a little. I've got a long journey ahead anyway. Hopefully by the time I find my better fitting bike, I will be ready to advance in training.

Thank you for the advice on the usage of gears. I realize now that yesterday I was doing more of that rather than torturing my legs to break personal records.

I tinkered with my saddle last night on the vintage and I'm about to head out to see how it feels. I've got my multi tool with me in case I have to stop and adjust. I do agree that it is a bit large for me.

@Racer Ex I love the edits on the writing! It's the bees knees.
Old 10-22-15, 11:34 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@Racer Ex

Do one thing every day that scares you. Except ride places where there's no shoulder, a 65 MPH speed limit, and heavy traffic. That's dumb.
Not so dumb. Commuted by bike for a decade on those roads without serious incident. Better than driving ... and there's a certain guilty pleasure in outmanoevering the traffic. LOL
Old 10-22-15, 11:37 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

@Racer Ex

Not so dumb. Commuted by bike for a decade on those roads without serious incident. Better than driving ... and there's a certain guilty pleasure in outmanoevering the traffic. LOL
I forgot to write "in Texas".
Old 10-22-15, 11:59 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
I did that up around San Augustine, except the speed limit was 75.

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-22-15, 01:15 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, well, you'd know more than me about Texan drivers. I imagine wearing lycra is a capital crime in Fort Worth...
Old 10-22-15, 02:48 PM
YogaKat
Padawan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't even want to drive my car in Texas. I got stuck in Dallas for about ten years. I DO NOT miss the traffic at all!

Ah, well, you'd know more than me about Texan drivers. I imagine wearing lycra is a capital crime in Fort Worth...
Perfectly fine in Austin though. Anything goes there.
Old 10-22-15, 03:21 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Lol @Racer Ex, I would add a few things:
1. Marry someone who always reads the directions, so that you don't have to
2. Don't eat every cupcake that's ever set before you
3. Life's too short to live with bad data.

@YogaKat, I suggest you just buy a proper road bike. You aspire to racing, you want to go faster, you are riding aggressively (and crashing) on bikes inappropriate to what you want to do. Vintage bikes are lovely and great to look at. Cruisers are great for riding around with a little dog in your front basket. But that's not what you want to do. You need to buy a modern road bike because it will better enable you to ride in the way you want. It doesn't have to be expensive, in fact the less expensive it is, the less you will feel compelled to belabor the decision.

Consider this: Go into a local shop and just getting an entry level bike. Don't try to buy something used because its a better value, you need the help right now of someone more knowledgeable than you, not some guy on Craigslist.

And then once you have the bike, get a real fit. Don't worry that you're on a humble bike- I spent $350 to be fit to a $600 bike. It was maybe the best $350 I ever spent, my ticket to being able to ride in comfort for distances over 50 miles, but more importantly it was the start of a process of learning/understanding more about bikes and their functionality.

Set yourself up now for future success. Be patient and start at the beginning- ie, don't try to go faster until you have a proper bike, properly fitted. I've not kept up with everything you've posted, so I'm not sure what's stopping you. Unless its being unable to afford a modern road bike, I see no reason not to go out and buy one now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.