Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 05:30 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Good lookin' Merckx!

Hope you found the lens.

Say, I wish I would have known you were selling a Regal!
Old 06-29-10, 09:29 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Nothing special today - needed 13 miles to get over 500 miles and 30,000' of climbing for the month, so I did a fast and flat 15 just to be sure. I've done 500+ mile months before, but not very often - and 30,000' of climbing in one month is a record for me.

5 miles to go - a little R&R to reflect:

Met a nice fellow named Bill, and he was riding a 1997 Waterford with a cool paint job and modern Campy running gear:

Back home, savoring the Father's Day hammock:

Standing guard and eternally vigilant while I nap, I am secure in the knowledge that he will protect me from squirrels and lizards - should they make the mistake of attacking, they will surely pay the ultimate price:

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-29-10, 09:36 PM
Absenth

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did this route with a co-worker after work today.
https://tinyurl.com/2etrwaq

just about 10 miles with quite a bit of climbing (for central Indiana) each time we crossed, or approached that river
Need to get my small point and shoot working again. Taking the Rebel T1i on the ride is a bit of a chore since it's got a giant, heavy piece of glass on the front which I doubt would like the road vibration.
Old 06-30-10, 03:28 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
BBM, where is the water on the waterford? No bottle cages either.... and you had us thinking California was hot.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 06-30-10, 07:01 AM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Good lookin' Merckx!

Hope you found the lens.

Say, I wish I would have known you were selling a Regal!
I did find the lens!

Sorry about not giving you a heads up on the saddle. Trying to fund the next build! Will a picture of it complete be enough of an apology?

Nice guard dog BBM. Your climbs are inspiring.

Jake
Old 06-30-10, 08:10 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by junkfoodjunkie
I did find the lens!

Sorry about not giving you a heads up on the saddle. Trying to fund the next build! Will a picture of it complete be enough of an apology?

Nice guard dog BBM. Your climbs are inspiring.

Jake
Paid in full. Can't wait to see what you are up to!

Hardly any blame to attach. I barely know which bike I am working on, or what parts I need at any given time.

My kids have a tough time keeping up with their random abstract and ADD father, except when it is one of their bikes.
Old 06-30-10, 10:24 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by mkeller234
BBM, where is the water on the waterford? No bottle cages either.... and you had us thinking California was hot.
Check the 1st pic - see the Camelback hanging on the saddle?

Originally Posted by junkfoodjunkie
Nice guard dog BBM.
All he really wanted was to see if I was eating something. Coming up empty in that regard, he then wanted into the hammock. Truth be told, he'd probably try to play with the squirrels. That's the principle reason I love having a Golden Retriever in the house.

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-30-10, 10:28 PM
MarkoPolo
I'm your huckleberry...

Bikes: 90's Tommasini Prestige, 2004 Seven Alaris, 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Nothing special today - needed 13 miles to get over 500 miles and 30,000' of climbing for the month, so I did a fast and flat 15 just to be sure. I've done 500+ mile months before, but not very often - and 30,000' of climbing in one month is a record for me
When I saw your 500+ miles post I had to take the long way home on my commute, just to match your monthly mileage. 504 total miles and 32,000 feet of climbing for June and over half of it was riding with you.

I'd post a picture of my golden too, but people might start talking.
Old 07-04-10, 11:05 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I did a 40 miler today on my '83 Voyageur SP. It's the first time I've taken it out for any real distance; until recently the bars were too narrow and the stem was too short (thanks Khatfull and random CL guy). This thing is no lightweight, but it felt like it was really moving...much faster than I expected. I was riding a marked route for one of the local t-shirt rides and did the 39 mile course in ~2 hrs. I didn't have a computer on the bike so I can't verify, but something's got to be off, that's just a tad fast. By the way, the new white bar tape took no time at all to look like it's been on there for years.

Back at home now,

Where one of our two ferocious Goldens was waiting...

Last edited by brockd15; 07-04-10 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 11:10 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 98 Posts
Put down another 100 km today... got a bit of everything in the way of weather and did not see another cyclist out on the road.

Old 07-07-10, 01:40 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Put down another 100 km today... got a bit of everything in the way of weather and did not see another cyclist out on the road.

Sixty -
Did you really think it well-advised to go downhill at 80km/hr on that overloaded little Raleigh 20? (It's no wonder you rammed that traffic sign.)
Old 07-07-10, 04:10 PM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding along the local bike paths yesterday on part of my route. My kids have been hanging out with their Grandma more while she is out of school on summer break. Leaves more time for leisurely riding.

Had to slow down for these guys...

Action shot...

This is pretty much the only bike I ride anymore.

Jake
Jake
Old 07-09-10, 01:04 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Simply Magic!

The sun had just risen and began to warm the road, the same homes and landmarks passed by as they do every morning. I glided into a long turn, changing my course onto a seldom used portion of roadway as I was unexpectantly joined by a fellow cyclist. His ride, a fabulous yellow Guerciotti sporting chrome lugs and original Campy componets, instinctivley I utter, " she's beautiful!", he responded, "I keep her original". We road side by side, our pace quickening slightly until we settled at what seemed a fair speed. Still silence, only the whirr or chains through the derailiuers. "You watch the Cup" he said, I replied, "some". How about the "Tour"? "As much as I can", his heavy Italian accent was apparent. For a few moments we spoke of the recent events and how we anticipated the mountians in the days ahead. Silence again, the whirrr of the chains, a slight rise and drop and then into a some turns. Like Swifts or Barn Swallows in flight, we dropped in, the pace never changing, effortlessly spinning almost weightless. The whirr of the chains. In a few minutes we approached the end of the roadway, "I'm going right" he called, " left" I replied, "safe ride!" "and to you too!". Without pause we seprated, each on our way.

Something happened, beyond words, beyond two riders sharing a few miles. I felt 30 years younger, and he? By the contentment on his face, I'd say he shared the same joy. Where did I ride today.....somewhere back into my youth, into the '70's, and it was great!
Old 07-10-10, 01:21 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rode out at the Ashokan Reservoir again today.

Old 07-10-10, 03:48 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew F
Simply Magic! ...
Nice post. I was there. I was here, but I was there as I read it. Thank you.
Old 07-11-10, 07:17 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 106 Posts
Did the 43 mile route on the Heatstroke 100 today. Some photos from rides while in Door County last week:

Old 07-12-10, 01:23 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

A short ride today, to get acclimated to the altitude. Just 18.5 miles and 2500 feet of climbing, but I managed to set a personal best altitude record on a bike by riding to the Duck Pass trailhead at 9,100' of elevation. Ran out of road, which was probably for the best cuz the air is pretty thin up here.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-12-10 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 08:13 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 2,733 Times in 1,270 Posts
A short ride today, to get acclimated to the altitude. Just 18.5 miles and 2500 feet of climbing, but I managed to set a personal best altitude record on a bike by riding to the Duck Pass trailhead at 9,100' of elevation. Ran out of road, which was probably for the best cuz the air is pretty thin up here.
I hope you brought your fishing pole.
Old 07-12-10, 02:55 PM
keep on trekkin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just found this thread, and will try to take a camera or at least get a few iPhone pics next time. Thinking this ride is going to turn into a regular weekend run, it's around 59 miles.

I'm lucky to live in Jackson Hole, and just started right from the door. On the southernmost road in town, stopped to let a mule deer with a huge rack in velvet cross the street. Then headed north toward Grand Teton National Park. 5 miles later, turned east for a cup of coffee in the little hamlet of Kelly. Turned north, then west riding directly toward the Teton Range. Mile before the highway came across probably 150 bison on both sides of the road. Fortunately there were a couple cars going thru, so used them as a screen. Still felt pretty vulnerable. Then hit the new bike path that goes from Moose to Jenny Lake, and enjoyed that 14 mile round trip. Out the mostly paved road from Moose to Teton Village, and then back home. It's an amazing ride to have right out the back door!
Old 07-12-10, 08:12 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Grammar fail on the sign. "Do noT dig snow caves or holes"

Great story about the campy equipped C&V. The only riders I have seen are snobby "pros" and slow poke MTBers. I did pass a fellow on an old Raleigh cruiser slowed down and complimented him, he returned the compliment but added 'Gitane! French, very nice!'.
Old 07-12-10, 08:13 PM
pcfxer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grammar fail on the sign. "Do noT dig snow caves or holes"

Great story about the campy equipped C&V. The only riders I have seen are snobby "pros" and slow poke MTBers. I did pass a fellow on an old Raleigh cruiser slowed down and complimented him, he returned the compliment but added 'Gitane! French, very nice!'.
Old 07-13-10, 05:10 PM
Oscuro

Bikes: LHT, International, 310

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Took the old utility sled Miyata 310 out for a photo-cruise today, a slow 50k (my fault, out of shape).

We met a Duck:

I fixed a glaring error, my lack of 310 pictures:

Took the Lochside Trail out to Sidney, and passed some farms:

And played wit the polarizer a bit:

Pushed on out to Sidney and beyond, to Lands End road, and saw some scenery:

Had lunch with a view:

Then headed home, and got passed by some guy on a Marinioni. Well, tired as I may well be, why not give chase? I caught up with him after a red light and we started talking bike, before the MUP started getting crowded as we got closer to town. So I fell in behind him as we picked up a third, and we barreled into Vic. Ahhh, home!
Old 07-13-10, 08:35 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Still up in Mammoth Lakes, but this time I went for something different - mountain biking. The easier trails up at the top of the mountain (11,000+') still have a lot of snow on them, but the lower levels are wide open and a lot of fun. I probably ended up with about 20-25 miles of trail riding, and not much in the way climbing. The way it works is you buy a trail pass for the day, and the fee includes a shuttle bus service to the main lodge and gondola service to the top. So, you shuttle up, bomb down, and repeat until you've had enough. Even though it is mostly downhill, it is a surprisingly fatiguing endeavor. Roots, rocks, drops, trees, and other associated obstacles really keep you working to stay upright.

A few pics:

At the base, close to where we're staying:

Tram service to the main lodge, with Mammoth Mtn in the background:

Miscellaneous views from the trails:

My sled (pic taken in the hills local to my home) a 2009 Marin Mt. Vision that I bought at an end-of-year rental bike blowout:

S. J. Perelman
Old 07-13-10, 10:12 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the '32 Ford and the other old rag top.
Old 07-15-10, 11:24 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Changed back to the road bike for today's adventure. I left the condo and rode 48 miles down US 395 and then the Old Sherwin Grade to Round Valley. I got about 4 miles from the end of Pine Creek Road before I ran too low on water to continue climbing. No shade and high-90 temps conspired to force me to use my water faster than I was hoping for, and since there are no water stops in that particular bit of high desert, I made the call to u-turn and rendezvous with the wife, lunch, and cold refreshing beverages.

After a nice respite, we hit the dirt roads for a little desert rat action, found some old mine ruins and a local shooting pit way up in a box canyon that afforded us an opportunity for a nice plinking session with my newly acquired Henry .22 lever action. Man, that rifle is a ton-o-fun!

Obligatory pics:

US 395:

Looking across the Owens Valley just above Lake Crowley:

Rock Creek climb:

Getting ready to descend into Round Valley - the green spot way down there:

The floor of Round Valley:

13,600' Mt Tom:

Some horses:

Cottonwoods:

Climbing up Pine Canyon. Doesn't look like much, but after 5 miles of steady 7% climbing in full 98 degree sun, I ran low on water and gave up 4 miles from the end:

Apres-ride, the daughter terrorizing the rocks and cans:

S. J. Perelman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.