Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain-L Lube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain-L Lube

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 12:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,944 Times in 1,631 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
From what I remember, STP is/was a conventional oil base with some ZDDP and VIIs thrown in, along with a tremendous marketing budget.
Also STP thrived in an era before multi-grade oils, and one of it's main benefits was as a viscosity stabilizer, to improve hot performance. Today's synthetic blend multi-grade oils essentially incorporate STPs benefits.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-19-12, 01:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Also STP thrived in an era before multi-grade oils, and one of it's main benefits was as a viscosity stabilizer, to improve hot performance. Today's synthetic blend multi-grade oils essentially incorporate STPs benefits.
Yep, that's the VIIs (viscosity index improvers) I had in mind. I'm not quite old enough to remember those days , but it seemed like the early VIIs didn't last as long, so a shot of STP now and then helped restore the hot performance.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-19-12, 01:17 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
From what I remember, STP is/was a conventional oil base with some ZDDP and VIIs thrown in, along with a tremendous marketing budget.
The formula I gave earlier is the exact ingredients of STP, it did use natural straight 40 weight oil, but it wouldn't be a stretch for any chain lube to use synthetic 40 weight racing oil instead.

Actually in older cars, pre 1980's cars STP did work! It worked better then any other additive that came out since. And all they did was add a bit more zinc then what all the other oils back then contained, back then they contained about 1 or 2% zinc, and STP went to 10%.

There's only Valvoline and Castro oil that uses Zinc anymore, and zinc is only used in their high mileage non synthetic formulas, guess which oil I use in my cars? Lucas is junk, ask any auto racer. Some people argue not to use STP in cold weather, true, but not true if you use a thinner oil in the winter like you should be in older cars, newer cars use thin oil oil anyways so you don't need to worry about changing the oil to a thinner one in the winter.

WARNING, do not use STP or any other thicker additive like Lucas in modern engines that require the new 0w, 5w or 5w-30w oil, or have a turbo charger, the thicker oil could damage the engine and or turbo, and of course ruin your warranty not to mention your day.

I've been using STP for years in my classic cars, but these engines are older technology and work just fine with it. About once every 10 years my friend and I remove the valve covers on our cars (we do this on a rotational basis because he has 21 cars so we only do maybe two or three a year) and check for signs of varnish etc on the lifters and rocker arms. He never used STP, I have for over 30 years that I've owned the one I've had the longest, and he can see the difference, the STP treated engines look cleaner and no visible wear marks, his not so, yet he's still not sold on the stuff?!

There are, or were, some clones of STP that worked just as well like Alemite CD-2 which was used extensively in Europe back in the day.
Old 09-19-12, 03:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
I can't imagine all that zinc would be good for today's catalytic converters, either.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-19-12, 08:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
I can't imagine all that zinc would be good for today's catalytic converters, either.
There is that, but usually by the time a modern engine would need the aid of zinc the cat is probably shot anyways, and most states don't even check to see if the cat is good.
Old 09-19-12, 08:26 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't even know if I should, but I use drops of chain lube on the derailleurs anywhere they move and on the sprockets of the rear one (derailleur). Is chain lube proper for this. If so,will Chain-L work on the derailleurs also.

If not, and I should be using something other than chain lube anyway could someone please steer me as to what to use???

Thanks.
Old 09-19-12, 08:30 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Liked 10,449 Times in 7,248 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
I don't even know if I should, but I use drops of chain lube on the derailleurs anywhere they move and on the sprockets of the rear one (derailleur). Is chain lube proper for this. If so,will Chain-L work on the derailleurs also.

If not, and I should be using something other than chain lube anyway could someone please steer me as to what to use???

Thanks.
I use, and would recommend to you, one of the dry, PTFE spray
lubes available at home depot or auto stores.

They work pretty well to slide these parts freely, with the advantage
of not attracting grit, dirt, dust, cat hair, and boogers.
Old 09-20-12, 05:36 AM
richard_dupp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally off the subject but is FBinNY = Fine Business in New York? Reason I ask is I used to be very active in ham radio and Fine Business (FB in cw) was a very normal reply meaning all is good or OK.
Old 09-20-12, 06:56 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by richard_dupp
Totally off the subject but is FBinNY = Fine Business in New York? .
I guess it could be, but it's simpler. My initials are FB and I'm in New York.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-20-12, 07:56 AM
catadromous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FB,

I don't see a dealer listed in Minnesota. Any plans?

Jack in Minneapolis
Old 09-20-12, 08:50 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by catadromous
FB,

I don't see a dealer listed in Minnesota. Any plans?

Jack in Minneapolis
I've been trying for 2 years. So far no dice. If you have any dealer you're friendly with tell him about it, and let him know he can have a free sample to test just by asking.

Until I have a dealer in town, I send all Minneapolis inquiries to Art Doyle's across the river in Hudson, WI.

I need dealers all over the US, but it's hard to get shops to even try Chain-L for themselves. However once a dealer in any city breaks the ice, I get more there fairly quickly. That's why if you look at the dealer map, you'll see that Chain-L dealers are in pockets.

BTW- to any other Chain-L fans. If you have a favorite dealer, please tell him about it, and tell them to email me c/o the site for a FREE sample.

Old 09-20-12, 01:56 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
There's only Valvoline and Castro oil that uses Zinc anymore, and zinc is only used in their high mileage non synthetic formulas, guess which oil I use in my cars?
Wat. Pretty much all name-brand motor oils have ZDDP in them. Sure, SN spec limits it to 800ppm, but it's still there. If you need more for your application use a 15W-40 diesel oil (usually ~1500ppm) or racing oils (usually >2000ppm).
Old 09-20-12, 02:04 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones

I've never found it necessary to lube derailleur pivots (unless you're talking about disassembling the upper and lower sprung pivots, which should be greased). As for the jockey wheels, disassemble them and grease the bushing and the sides of the pulleys' inserts where they rub on their dustcaps.

Oil will just make an unnecessary mess.
Old 09-20-12, 05:16 PM
willbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"There's only Valvoline and Castro oil that uses Zinc" What? They all use ZDDP but at much reduced levels- about 800-900 ppm. Reduced so as not to poison cat. converters. With roller tappets and other changes not as much ZDDP is required to protect cams, etc.