Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is One Flat Pedal Really Any Better Than Another?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is One Flat Pedal Really Any Better Than Another?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-24, 08:50 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 191 Posts
I just replaced a pair of old-fashioned metal screw together pedals with the metal points sticking up. There was nothing wrong with them in one sense - they got me to where I was going. My concern was that the right pedal had a lot of play in the bearings and sometimes clicked loudly on every revolution. I wasn't going to put any more time into playing with these very old pedals, so I replaced them.
Old 04-05-24, 09:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12899 Post(s)
Liked 7,824 Times in 4,156 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You don’t have to work for Race Face to know that they invented the particular model that is being copied. Anyone who rides mtb and has not been living under a rock knows the Race Face Chester. It was the first pedal to show that composite (nylon / plastic) was actually an excellent material for a pedal body.
There were composite BMX pedals for years before the Chester was introduced. Race Face just saw MTBers running composite BMX pedals and decided they needed to start selling one with their brand name on it.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-06-24, 08:52 AM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
+1 to this. It's not like Race Face invented flat wide composite pedals but whatever. People pick weird hills to die on here. I'm actually meeting someone today to buy a pair of the Rock Bros for $10. I'm sure there are some on here who wouldn't approve of the brand or the fact that I'm getting them for $10 but I'm past caring.
Old 04-06-24, 09:07 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,114 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Well I took nobody's advice and got these....

If they spontaneously combust or make my foot fall off I give anybody on here the right to say "Toldja so." But I doubt that will happen. Amazon is pretty good about returns so when they arrive on Sunday I'll put em on and do a 20 mile ride and see how they feel.
My question would then be, why ask the question? If you knew you wanted to feed completely from the bottom and buy fakes and knockoffs with odd names then just do it quietly and boom you can be satisfied in that choice you made at the time you made it and if they work out for you then that happened and if they don't then nobody knows. The pedals are unlikely to combust or make your foot fall off they are just not going to last very long and have play in them sometimes out of the box sometimes it takes a little bit, the pedal could brake or could just not be a grippy material but usually it is the bearings that make a huge difference and why you have nicer pedals and why people haven't recommended the fakes and knockoffs.

I mean fake bike parts are an odd thing for sure that "Rockbros" company takes the cake because they took the looks and took the name most just take the looks. I don't know why someone would buy a used version of them but I also don't get why someone would would clean a firearm without checking if it was loaded? It is those odd things in life people just want to be a "rebel" but not for a good end or a good cause.
Old 04-06-24, 11:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,435 Posts
+1 to this. It's not like Race Face invented flat wide composite pedals but whatever..
That Fooker is a near exact replica of the 1st gen Chester. Without the brand logos they would be indistinguishable from looking at them.

Are you seriously going to claim this identical copy is not a rip-off?

Because according to your logic, I could release a nearly identical version of the Rolling Stone’s Satisfaction, and claim it is not a rip-off because the Stone’s did not invent rock music.

So my question to you is WHY do you think Fooker chose to make an identical copy of the Chester? Especially if - as you claim - the Chesters are nothing special.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-06-24, 11:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3766 Post(s)
Liked 5,717 Times in 2,886 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My question would then be, why ask the question?
Some people are just argumentative and unpleasant by nature. Many bottom feeders are defensive. Newbies often overestimate their knowledge and ability. Just for starters....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-06-24, 03:29 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Kapusta
There is a MASSIVE difference between flat pedals. And I am talking in terms of functionality (durability is its own topic).

The difference in function between old school rat trap pedals, (or cheap plastic pedals with no pins) and modern, quality flat pedals (mostly marketed to MTB) with large platforms and well placed metal pins is huge.

When I read flats-vs-clipless discussions on Road or Commuter forums and see comments about how you can’t pedals circles in flats or about slipping/bouncing off or lack of power transfer, it is obvious to me that they have tried either old designs or cheap new ones and don’t realize how different newer, better designs are. I think that is because the newer better ones are marketed almost entirely to the MTB crowd.

And even among modern quality flat pedals, there are differences. Some are convex, some concave, some truly flat. Some have more/less pins. Pin hieghts vary. Some are especially thin. Some are plastic and other Al (both have advantages)

Mountain bikers are keenly aware how different flat pedals can be.
There is definitely a difference with the studs. Just went on a 20 mile run through the city. And your feet definitely are rooted to the pedals which is comforting. Still not entirely sure there's a huge difference in output but it would be great if it were true. They almost stick a little TOO well in the city. A couple times my foot caught briefly on the studs when I had to stop at a busy intersection but I can see why you like them. Just glad to get rid of the SPD/platform combos.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 04-06-24, 04:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Go out and climb Burkhalter Gap next time it rains. You'll appreciate some foot retention.
Old 04-06-24, 05:41 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 370 Posts
There is definitely a difference with the studs. Just went on a 20 mile run through the city. And your feet definitely are rooted to the pedals which is comforting. Still not entirely sure there's a huge difference in output but it would be great if it were true. They almost stick a little TOO well in the city. A couple times my foot caught briefly on the studs when I had to stop at a busy intersection but I can see why you like them. Just glad to get rid of the SPD/platform combos.
That's exactly why I like my RockBros, they feel like they have magnets on them that your feet are stuck to. When I MTBed all I had to do was get me foot close to the pedal and it was back on. I now own RockBros lights too and I haven't found anything even close to them from other mfg's so I'm not sure they're a 'knock off' of another light out there.
Old 04-06-24, 05:52 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Go out and climb Burkhalter Gap next time it rains. You'll appreciate some foot retention.
I don't mountain bike in the rain. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

There's a cool cement ramp at the top you should try.
Old 04-06-24, 06:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

It's a paved road though it does seem like a mountain.
Likes For shelbyfv: