Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

American diet compared to the combustion engine

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

American diet compared to the combustion engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 11:29 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gosmsgo
wrong again.

There is nothing wrong with that burger. The meat was recalled because they processed downer cows which is not allowed by law. I would personally eat every drop of that burger without fear of anything being wrong with it.
You don't think there's anything wrong with processing downer cows and selling their meat to people who have no way of knowing that it came from sick animals? You're not at least a little concerned about people eating diseased beef, and then, after a few years, wondering why they can't walk in a straight line or form comprehensible sentences? Has it occurred to you that there may be good public health reasons, rather than the subversive efforts of pierced hippies, that it's illegal for people to process and sell meat from downer cows to the public?

And BTW, just because a person lives in a city and writes for or reads the NYT, doesn't mean they're all uninformed liberal idiots who don't know what they're talking about. I've lived in big cities, and I've lived in the rural South, and I can tell you from personal experience that, on the whole, people in cities are better informed, mostly because they can, and often do, read.
Old 02-25-08, 01:13 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
If we're talking about food from a moral and environmental POV, we should be talking about where it comes from, not what we're eating. Vegetable or meat, if you buy corporate/industrial farming output, you are contributing to all the nastiness that people usually dump only on industrial meat about. Industrial veg farming has it's own drawbacks--GMO foods, use and overuse of pesticides and herbicides, water issues, and all the oil that goes into producing and transportation. Monsanto and ADM ring a bell? It used to be that Brazillian rainforests were being cut for grazing land to support fast food burger in the US; now they're slash-and-burning rainforest to plant soy... soy being imported into the US to cover increased demand.

Buy as local as possible. Meat, veggies, everything in between. And eat seasonally--eat what's in season in your area.

Assuming that you're buying all your food locally, then feel free to make an emotional or spiritual personal decision to eat meat or no. When you get into environmental or moral issues at a macro level regarding your personal choice to eat no meat, then arguments start to fall apart because modern vegetable agriculture can be just as damaging to The Environment as meat.
Old 02-25-08, 02:13 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If we're talking about food from a moral and environmental POV, we should be talking about where it comes from, not what we're eating. Vegetable or meat, if you buy corporate/industrial farming output, you are contributing to all the nastiness that people usually dump only on industrial meat about. Industrial veg farming has it's own drawbacks--GMO foods, use and overuse of pesticides and herbicides, water issues, and all the oil that goes into producing and transportation. Monsanto and ADM ring a bell? It used to be that Brazillian rainforests were being cut for grazing land to support fast food burger in the US; now they're slash-and-burning rainforest to plant soy... soy being imported into the US to cover increased demand.

Buy as local as possible. Meat, veggies, everything in between. And eat seasonally--eat what's in season in your area.

Assuming that you're buying all your food locally, then feel free to make an emotional or spiritual personal decision to eat meat or no. When you get into environmental or moral issues at a macro level regarding your personal choice to eat no meat, then arguments start to fall apart because modern vegetable agriculture can be just as damaging to The Environment as meat

Good post.

Along with the locavore movement, there's also the slow foods movement, which is making great strides in Europe right now. Good farming practices yield good food, so there will always be strong consumer demand for local and organic food.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-25-08, 02:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
You don't think there's anything wrong with processing downer cows and selling their meat to people who have no way of knowing that it came from sick animals? You're not at least a little concerned about people eating diseased beef, and then, after a few years, wondering why they can't walk in a straight line or form comprehensible sentences? Has it occurred to you that there may be good public health reasons, rather than the subversive efforts of pierced hippies, that it's illegal for people to process and sell meat from downer cows to the public?

And BTW, just because a person lives in a city and writes for or reads the NYT, doesn't mean they're all uninformed liberal idiots who don't know what they're talking about. I've lived in big cities, and I've lived in the rural South, and I can tell you from personal experience that, on the whole, people in cities are better informed, mostly because they can, and often do, read
Well, scoff at the NYT as they do, at least it does usually point out several sides of complicated issues. One problem with the agricultural "experts" is that they're bought and paid for by big agriculture. The land grant universities are to a large extent like private research arms of Monsanto and ADM. The ordinary farmers get a lot of info from ag agents of the universities, and directly from the big seed and chemical companies. They never hear the other sides of the issues, in many cases. But maybe that's one thing the internet will change? Any farmer in Nebraska can now read the NY Times, free, online every day.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 03-03-08, 01:37 AM
jamesshuang

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really wish I could go for less meat in my diet. However, each vegetarian meal I eat leaves me horribly hungry after just a few short hours. All my vegetarian meals disappear so quickly. Even the high fiber stuff doesn't last - unless I get at least some meat, I get hungry. Why is this?
Old 03-03-08, 07:19 AM
spinninwheels
aspiring island dweller

Bikes: Easy Racers GRR, Cannondale T-2000/Rohloff Custom, Cannondale R-700, Custom Fixie/Single Speed, Santa Cruz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesshuang
I really wish I could go for less meat in my diet. However, each vegetarian meal I eat leaves me horribly hungry after just a few short hours. All my vegetarian meals disappear so quickly. Even the high fiber stuff doesn't last - unless I get at least some meat, I get hungry. Why is this?
Usually it's an association thing. If one consumes meat during a meal, digestion requirements are different than with a meatless meal. And there is almost always a heavy feeling. Sometimes the heavy feeling is an association to being full. This is usually not the case. One can still be full and not have that heavy feeling. Hence the old joke about chinese food and still being hungry afterwords.

Another point is that sometimes when the body requires more hydration, it can be mistaken for hunger. A good rule of thumb is when you're in between meals and you feel hungry, drink a couple glasses of water first. This may alleviate the feeling of hunger.
Old 03-03-08, 07:41 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Thanks, jcwitte. Interesting article.

Here's a permalink to the article, in case somebody's trying to find it a couple weeks from now.

If anybody wants more information on the subject, Michael Pollan (another Times writer) is the one to go to. He wrote a fantastic book called The Omnivore's Dilemna that describes factory farming and it's alternatives in detail. Pollan also wrote recent NYT articles called "Our Decrepit Food Factories" and "Unhappy Meals" . His new book, In Defense of Food, probably has more material on this topic. rhm is reading it so maybe he'll tell us more.
I am most of the way through the Omnivore's dilemma - not a quick read. Oftentimes when we go out to dinner, I will pick a non-meat dish. My fiancee is still much more of a meat eater. There is a really good vegetarian restaurant near us, and I keep suggesting that we go together, and she keeps dragging her feet.
Old 03-03-08, 07:44 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by jamesshuang
It depends a lot on exactly what it is that you do eat. The meals that I eat have a balance of proteins, fiber, some fat, and carbs, and I really don't have this problem.
Old 03-03-08, 10:10 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfasterr
Suppose you had your own bit of land, and you had a chicken coop - would it be so bad on the environment to eat the eggs from your own chickens?
Keeping backyard chickens around here is a popular hobby. Apparently the zoning in Portland allows for a small number.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 03-03-08, 10:35 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Keeping backyard chickens around here is a popular hobby. Apparently the zoning in Portland allows for a small number.
Not allowed by zoning around here and it is a small town. One of the reasons I have held onto my acreage. But even that is getting to be a fight. Golf course across the road keeps trying to get MY property rezoned to suit their uses. Tried that with the guy down the road and he retaliated by bringing in a couple of truck loads of hogs. Golf Course Community took it to court, judge ruled against them and also pointed out that they were pretty lucky that he only brought in a couple of hundred hogs....he has a permit for over 1,000

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-04-08, 01:42 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Not allowed by zoning around here and it is a small town. One of the reasons I have held onto my acreage. But even that is getting to be a fight. Golf course across the road keeps trying to get MY property rezoned to suit their uses. Tried that with the guy down the road and he retaliated by bringing in a couple of truck loads of hogs. Golf Course Community took it to court, judge ruled against them and also pointed out that they were pretty lucky that he only brought in a couple of hundred hogs....he has a permit for over 1,000

Aaron
You're going to love this, Aaron... Go to this page and play the video at the bottom of the page. Yes, that's right - our leading mayoral candidate keeps chickens.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 03-04-08, 02:51 AM
JosephPaul86
Change=inevitable. ?=+/-

Bikes: MTB, 700c commuter, BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't eaten meat since last October or so. On the way in town i pass a very small farm consisting of 4 cows, a calf, 7 chickens and a few goats. Since it is about half way in town I often stop to take a break and talk to the animals. I struck up a conversation with the owner and she offered to let me have a couple eggs every week, free of charge. Nice lady, she is the land owner and allows the cows to graze on the grass free of charge as it saves her from mowing it.

I wonder why people won't actually eat a black bean burger instead of the fatty, unhealthy, unattractive, slaughtered rotting flesh alternative?
Old 03-04-08, 04:23 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephPaul86
I haven't eaten meat since last October or so. On the way in town i pass a very small farm consisting of 4 cows, a calf, 7 chickens and a few goats. Since it is about half way in town I often stop to take a break and talk to the animals. I struck up a conversation with the owner and she offered to let me have a couple eggs every week, free of charge. Nice lady, she is the land owner and allows the cows to graze on the grass free of charge as it saves her from mowing it.

I wonder why people won't actually eat a black bean burger instead of the fatty, unhealthy, unattractive, slaughtered rotting flesh alternative?
Because of attitudes like this? FWIW some people REQUIRE meat in their diets to live healthy. Someone pointed out a while back that we are all different. We didn't all come from vegetable eating human stock. Some like the Inuits subsist on a diet that is all most exclusively meat. Do we consume too much meat in the US? I think so, the answer IMHO is moderation.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-04-08, 06:31 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by JosephPaul86

My contention is that in the not too distant future, we will be in a world where food will be so expensive that few will be able to afford to eat meat.

Experts: Global Food Shortages Could ‘Continue for Decades'
For the first time, we are seeing the emergence of a global agricultural market driven by the growing demand for grains and a scarcity of supply. Wheat inventories, for example, have reached a 30-year low. In one year inventories in the European Union have plummeted from 14 million to one million tons. The fact is that arable land cannot be increased at will. Over the past three decades, the amount of arable land worldwide has stagnated at about 1.5 billion hectares (3.7 billion acres).

While new agricultural lands are being added in Russia and South America , more and more land is lost to residential and industrial development in Asia and Europe . In China , eight million hectares (20 million acres) of land under cultivation have vanished within a decade. For comparison, just under 12 million hectares (30 million acres) of land are currently used for agriculture in Germany . These spatial limitations would be tolerable if the world's population wasn't growing at such a breathtaking pace.

How long will the agricultural boom last? Michael Schmitz, an agricultural economist and professor, used databases to forecast how far trends would last when global conditions change like they have recently. The professor says that the current shortages and price hikes are not a phenomenon that will end in a few months -- or even in a few years. Schmitz predicts: "This could continue for two or three decades." (Spiegel Online)