Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Who saves MONEY by commuting via bicycle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Who saves MONEY by commuting via bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 01:34 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
This is my first year commuting, so no money savings yet. It's difficult to commute longer distances without an investment in good gear. I ride 100 miles a week and I have invested more than $2000 this year. I started with a $340 hybrid but now ride a $1200 Cyclocross bike. I've also spent another $500 in safety gear, clothing and accessories.

If I drive and never use my bike to commute, my costs are $4200/year. I would also need a new car every 6 years.

If I commute by bike and never use the car, I would continue to spend about $1000 a year. I would need to buy a new car about every 10 years and a new bike about every 4 years.

I blend the two modes and expect to save about $2300 next year. But the during first year, I will just break even.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-14-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 11:00 PM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting question; I did a few sums to work out where I'm up to.

Commuting by bus / train would cost me $52 per week or so (that $2-3 per ride adds up when you have to change, so each day you need 4 rides!)

I reckon I have spent about $4500 on my bikes in the last 2.5 years, when I started commuting.

Assuming I need to commute about 45 weeks per year, that's a saving of over $1000. That's actually quite cool; I'd happily pay $1000 for the privilege of cycling to work!

Plus I have no need for expensive gym memberships, am happier, healthier, less stressed and more environmentally sound.

Bikes really are quite cool, aren't they?!!