Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use a single-speed as their main cruiser?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Does anyone use a single-speed as their main cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-23, 04:40 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by AtNjineer
I too have never had a square taper come loose but enough people have to form a consensus.

like i said though the bmx style would be less likely to come loose. As it’s design veers more toward the new designs that you see on the higher end stuff.
Depends on the style. I have two different bmx cranksets(coulda sworn it was three); one, or both are an ashtabula style three piece. One uses actual bmx chainrings and it came from a weird Specialized bmx bike, the other fits ashtabula chainrings and it came off what I would assume is a mid-teir Mongoose bmx bike.
Originally Posted by NYLowLife
These look good, 155 available …..

Their distribution center is a five minute walk from me. They're in the old Coke-Cola building. They need a store inside. I'm hardpressed to order from a place I could walk to. There's a small bmx/skate park in there, too.
Old 04-30-24, 04:23 PM
scared_cyclist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I love cruisers. They are so stable and much more comfortable to ride than rode bikes.
Likes For scared_cyclist:
Old 06-06-24, 05:53 AM
junkpile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
An an old guy who was pretty into road bikes in the 70's, I find riding an old single speed far more enjoyable than my old road bikes.
I'm heavier now too, not by much but I was never a little guy even in my prime.
I've got a few old balloon tire bikes from the 30's and 40's here, two have been in my family since new.
Those are on my to-do list to get them back into daily riding condition if I can find some decent tires and a seat that's actually comfortable enough to ride on. The original seats were good but 80 years of use has made them more or less just wall hangers now.
I tried a few modern seats but they're horrible to ride for more than a block or two.

My most ridden bike is a 70's model Schwinn Speedster with a Bendix coaster brake, its not pretty, it came to me out of an old barn about ten years ago for $5. The paint is poor at best but all I did to it was clean it really well, polish up what paint it still had, pounded the fenders straight enough to fit again, patched the old tubes, trued the wheels and with lots of fresh grease I put it back together. It rides as good as new and the 24" frame fits me well. Everything on it is original, saddle, tires, and likely even the tubes. I did give the frame a coat of clear paint to prevent any worn areas from re-rusting. I heavily polished and waxed the chrome fenders too so they're as presentable as they can be.

The only down side to it all is I likely have far more time into it than it'll ever be worth. If I count my time, the time just cleaning everything and getting it ready to re-assemble took me hours every night for a week. The only good part is that it didn't need any parts. I'd have put new tires on it if I had them, I just wasn't going to spend $60 on two tires, plus shipping, for what amounts to two cheap low end Kenda tires. Plus, the new tires I've seen for the S5 rims are too narrow compared to the original rubber these were sold with when new. I actually tried to sell it a few years ago and didn't get a single reply at $250.
Bikes in general here don't sell, CL and FB are always loaded with cheap bikes in all sorts of condition, rarely are any truly ready to ride, if any at all but even the better deals just sit for years unsold till their owners give up trying to sell them.

Likes For junkpile:
Old 06-06-24, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4521 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by scared_cyclist
I love cruisers. They are so stable and much more comfortable to ride than rode bikes.
An un-rode bike is going to be safer than one you ride but riding is more fun ; )