Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Australian Road Bikes - post your pics.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Australian Road Bikes - post your pics.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-09, 01:00 AM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffieh
Gentlemen,
the red Abeni caught my eye. This Abeni Triathlon has been hanging in my garage for a few years, waiting for someone small (and pink!) enough to ride it. Came with a full set of Gran Sport, Cinelli bars and stem, and Ambrosio rims. I'm guessing it's Columbus - but stand to be corrected. He was a good builder John Abeni, wasn't he?
Regards
Jeff
I love it! I only wish it was anywhere near me...
Old 03-30-09, 03:42 PM
jeffieh
South Seas Correspondent

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Hi jeffieh,

Yes, the Abeni do seem to be well built. Is this bike yours from new? You seem to know the heritage of the marque. The new Granport is an interesting feature as it doesn't seem to turn up all that often in the forum.

Ozneddy must be hard at work because he would be all over your bike usually.

Gary.
Gary, I've owned the bike for three or four years. Got it off a trader who knew nothing of the bike. The fact it's pink and a couple of inches too short for me meant it's stayed on the wall ever since.

At the time I think I googled it all the way back to John Abeni, a Sydney builder. Apparently he built for the Aussie Olympic team at some stage, and even had a bike or two in the Canberra bike museum.

Yeah, the Gran Sport set is unusual. I've seen the odd derailleur around, but never another full set. The bike has hardly been ridden and all the gear is immaculate (if a little dusty!) A lot of the bits look just like NR, except they're punched with a little "G.S." stamp.
regards - Jeff
Old 03-30-09, 07:28 PM
minority

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelcontender
right, here is my Kenevans, built with 8sp campy, and my berretto frame which i am about to build up. also have a nice master sports with dura ace ax, a terry davey with dura ace and a 50's steel special with 3sp derraliers

Hi Rebelcontenter, that looks a bit like the Kenevans I picked up off bulk rubbish the other week, especially around the seat stays. Mine was a "competition" model, whats yours?

Mine didn't have a tubing sticker on it, is that a 531 sticker I see on your bike?

Withe a Suntour Surperbe Pro groupset and DiaCompe brakes I think most of the componentry on mine is original and probably dates it to very early eighties.

Hopefully one day it will kook as nice as yours and the other Kenevans in this thread!
Old 04-01-09, 05:52 AM
rebelcontender

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by minority
Hi Rebelcontenter, that looks a bit like the Kenevans I picked up off bulk rubbish the other week, especially around the seat stays. Mine was a "competition" model, whats yours?

Mine didn't have a tubing sticker on it, is that a 531 sticker I see on your bike?

Withe a Suntour Surperbe Pro groupset and DiaCompe brakes I think most of the componentry on mine is original and probably dates it to very early eighties.

Hopefully one day it will kook as nice as yours and the other Kenevans in this thread!

Minority.
yes that is a 531 sticker on mine. i was lucky enough to know the original owner of the bike and when he gave up racing he sold it to me. ive been looking out for others ever since.

what size is yours? i sent you a private message a few days back did you get it?

SHANE
Old 04-01-09, 06:12 AM
minority

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Shane,

Always forget to check for PMs but in this case, no, it didn't arrive!

Had a quick measure when I got it and it's about a 60cm, quite a big one. Looking at the saddle height when I picked it up, it was much too big for it's previous owner.
Old 04-01-09, 09:05 AM
urodacus
Large Member

Bikes: 05 Giant TCR 0; 94 Le Mond Alpe d'Huez; 83 Colnago Saronni; 81 San Rensho Katana Super Export track bike, #A116-56; 97 GT Zaskar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that red Abeni looks exactly like mine (1984-1987 RIP) except mine was black. great ride, well built bike. I bought it from Roseville cycles on the Pacific Highway just across from Roseville station in Sydney. Always sad when a good bike gets squashed.
Old 05-23-09, 09:51 PM
rebelcontender

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
blue Abeni

Here is my blue Abeni. not as nice as my Kenevans but s sweet bike all the same. mostly Cambrio Rino witha bit shimano rear mech. thinking bout selling this one soon.

Old 05-23-09, 11:19 PM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Reb, that blue Abeni is a real cracker !
Old 05-24-09, 04:39 AM
brauluver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My contribution isn't quite as blingy as you guys, but it's an awesome frame to ride though.
Very late 80's Pursuit brand (Super Elliots) Wayne Roberts built frame.
Reynolds 531 and period 105 groupset.Currently running as a 1x7 config.
This frame was a lucky score and fits me like a glove.it's an absolute dream to ride.
When money and time allow I would like to use the frame as a platform to build my ultimate steely with modern 105 9 speed group and wheel set.

Old 05-24-09, 06:04 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Liked 221 Times in 137 Posts
Hi Brauluver,

I think the fact that your frame fits like a glove makes a big difference - far more important than looks. I have a couple of nice looking bikes that I can ride pretty comfortably but when I get on a bike that really fits me I really notice the difference. A 531 Wayne Roberts frame is a pretty desirable frame. Thanks for the photo's.
Old 05-26-09, 05:27 AM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Bikes: Paconi, Hillman, Sun Tourer + Mongoose Tetra SX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update of the beast - the Blue Paconi that I built up.. Has been through a few transformations since I first built it up... Might put an older style stem on it as it looks a bit bulky with the Uno stem and threaded to threadless adaptor - but all in time..

Nice shot of the bottom of the bike... woo

Nice 'headset'
Check out more at VELOSPACE - https://velospace.org/node/3937

Also had a nice europa a while ago - massive bike.. nice ride - semi converted to single speed (with the option of 6 speeds at the back - left the freewheel on) Sold it a while ago.. Had an 'accident' with it one day in which I hit a traintrack and it flipped me over the bars - landed on my feet like a nimble cat... I am 120 kgs.. nice shot..

The Europa...

You can probably tell that I like chrome forks......

Another mouth watering chrome fork picture.

And that is pretty much it for Aussie bikes for me in the last two years.....
Old 05-26-09, 01:58 PM
ozneddy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
C LOGAN That "Paconi" is so sweeeeeet !
Old 05-26-09, 08:49 PM
Wotan
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of amazing bikes in this thread!!!!! And damn, Gary, how does one go about getting oneself mentioned in your will???

Anyway, here's my Aussie road bike:

My daily commuter. Unknown Aussie maker from the late 70s, most likely Reynolds tubing, possibly an amateur builder(?). Seat post is 26.8, English threaded bottom bracket. Not the original fork. I got the frame with a mix of Campy, Gipiemme and Stronglight parts (no wheels) for $10. The parts all got used for other projects and this frame sat around for a couple of years in the garage. When I finally built it up last year, I couldn't believe I waited so long. It's now my favourite!

Cinelli bars/stem
Campagnolo Nuovo Gran Sport group
Cheap seat post
Brooks Imperial
Wheels are Suntour hubs / Araya 27x1 Rims
Panaracer Pasela tires
Bell and bag from Velo Orange

Since these photos were taken in December I've relaced the wheels with new spokes, put a Selle Italia Turbo saddle on, and replaced the corncob 5-speed (13-17) rear with a much more usable 6-speed (13-21) and changed the chainrings from 52/42 to 49/42. Also swithed to Time ATAC clipless.
Old 05-26-09, 09:01 PM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozneddy
C LOGAN That "Paconi" is so sweeeeeet !
Thanks ozneddy - she is pretty nice...

Have replaced the black front rim with a mavic silver - just to make it look a bit more uniform.. Taken off the bottle holder and rear light clamp to make it look less busy...

but i am not sure about the seat and the stem.. looks a bit too modern for the bike? or a nice and unique touch that does not detract from the rest of it?

Need suggestions..
Old 05-26-09, 09:03 PM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wotan
Lots of amazing bikes in this thread!!!!! And damn, Gary, how does one go about getting oneself mentioned in your will???

Anyway, here's my Aussie road bike:
Nice bike wotan - love the chrome... any serial numbers on the thing?
Old 05-26-09, 10:45 PM
Wotan
#$*&

Bikes: Bates (of Coburg) track bike(60s/70s?), Malvern Star Ladies coronation (1953), SuperElliots pathracer (60s?), Repco pathracer (1964), Holland Ladies (50s?), Moa (50s?), Hillman Ladies (40s?), Batavia? (40s?), Malvern Star 2 star ladies (50s?)...etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks C_Logan! Underside of BB has "11" stamped in it, and in another part of the BB "C 700". Lugs are long point Cinelli with the three hole cut outs. Dropouts are 1010 Campagnolo.

The Paconi looks fantastic!!! I'd love to get my hands on one at some point!!! But I would change the stem. I'd only change the saddle if it was uncomfortable. In the battle between period-correctness and comfort my butt has the final say.
Old 05-27-09, 01:11 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Hi Wotan,

I'd be going to find a bike as nice as your chromed beauty - I think I'd like to be mentioned in your will. The three holes in the lugs is really interesting. I can see why it has become your favourite.

There are some other lovely bikes in this thread as you say. C. Logan's Paconi is really eye-catching but his story of his acrobatic prowess is amazing. And all the great Kenevans offerings are amazing. (I'm sure we could have a Kenevans thread)

By the way, Ozneddy's will is the one I'm really sweating on.
Old 05-27-09, 01:21 AM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wotan
Thanks C_Logan! Underside of BB has "11" stamped in it, and in another part of the BB "C 700". Lugs are long point Cinelli with the three hole cut outs. Dropouts are 1010 Campagnolo.

The Paconi looks fantastic!!! I'd love to get my hands on one at some point!!! But I would change the stem. I'd only change the saddle if it was uncomfortable. In the battle between period-correctness and comfort my butt has the final say.
Not sure about that one - hopefully someone here will be able to help you ID it - otherwise just enjoy.. I saw a frame like that on ebay a while ago and missed it... damn.

Paconi frames come up on ebay from time to time - but they seem quite uncommon, or at least less common as they used to be.

Regarding the seat, it is more comfortable than the old italian seat I had on it, and then again the stem is pretty comfortable, but I think it looks a bit chunky.. But if I can find a nice polished stem I may be inclinded to give it a go..
Old 05-27-09, 01:26 AM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also had a Hillman a while back - bought it cheap, but a bit too small for me
Tange 5 tubing- ukai 27" rims and a suntour drive train, pretty nice except for the pink stickers..

I liked this bike - but got a good price for it..... I miss it sometimes
Old 05-27-09, 01:33 AM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And another pic of an old ladies 27" Cyclops bike that I recently restored - bit of a task but nice result.

Probably not made here - but an Aussie brand none the less.

And I am probably the first to have posted a girls bike in this thread - gold star to me..
Old 05-27-09, 03:26 AM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Hi Wotan,

There are some other lovely bikes in this thread as you say. C. Logan's Paconi is really eye-catching but his story of his acrobatic prowess is amazing. And all the great Kenevans offerings are amazing. (I'm sure we could have a Kenevans thread)

By the way, Ozneddy's will is the one I'm really sweating on.
Thanks Gary - yes, quite amazing.. It is not every day that one can recover from a crash with such style. No bruises, no ladies running over to see if you are okay 'sweetheart', no need to carry your road bike 1 km after bending it on the back of a car, etc.

Just pick up the bike and keep pedalling.
Old 07-03-09, 03:38 AM
rebelcontender

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hey guys, some nice bikes. should have my berretto built this week and will post some pics. then its on to my master sports project and by then i hope i will have found another kenevans frame/bike to work on.
Old 07-03-09, 04:20 AM
Gary Fountain

Hi rebelcontender,

Looking forward to the Berretto and the Master Sports.
Old 07-03-09, 03:37 PM
ozneddy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Me too !
Old 07-10-09, 05:46 AM
brauluver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ozneddy
i have a Macini will post a pic as soon as i can !
Got any pics?

I'd like to see it...please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.