Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scared To Cycle On Shared Bike Path. Thoughts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Scared To Cycle On Shared Bike Path. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 12:43 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 254 Posts
Thanks for coming back to follow up, scared_cyclist.
Yes, I can see how you would feel it's too dangerous.
To answer another's question, it's more risky because the closing speed is higher when both parties are on bikes, vs. one of them on foot. For example, if each cyclist is going 15 mph, it's a 30 mph closing speed, vs. if one is on a bike going 15 mph and one is on foot going 8 mph, it's only 23 mph.

Now I will point out to scared_cyclist that if one part is on an eBike going 28 mph and you're running (8 mph) vs. cycling (15 mph) it's less of a difference, but there's more time to react.

It's a shame that they're ruining it for you.

My proposed action plan for you is:
  1. Keep your running up.
  2. Try riding on the streets; see if you feel safer or less safe.
  3. Write to your city police and ask that they patrol the MUPs for people like this. Motorcycle cops are PERFECT for this work, and word will get around to the jerks ruining it.
Old 05-13-24, 12:48 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 994 Times in 513 Posts
Ah, nothing like cops on motorcycles to make a MUP feel safer.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 05-13-24, 03:22 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by bboy314
Ah, nothing like cops on motorcycles to make a MUP feel safer.
Nobody gonna tell me my friends and I can't race on a MUP!
Old 05-13-24, 03:47 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by scared_cyclist
I googled cyclist/cyclist collision and stumbled upon this youtube channel.
If you're just looking for things to worry about, try googling "horrible ways to die". In the meantime, ride carefully, keep an eye out, and all of us "lycra clad Lance Armstrong types" will try to give you a little more room.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 05-14-24, 05:52 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by bbbean
If you're just looking for things to worry about, try googling "horrible ways to die". In the meantime, ride carefully, keep an eye out, and all of us "lycra clad Lance Armstrong types" will try to give you a little more room.
I admire the OP for not having trotted out that tired trope.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-14-24, 06:08 AM
bboy314

Originally Posted by Trakhak
If you’re referring to the LA spandex trope, go back and reread their first sentence.
Old 05-14-24, 06:18 AM
bbbean 

That's precisely the tired trope he trotted out.

Old 05-14-24, 07:14 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7702 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 1,906 Posts
I think all relevant points have been made.

I must confess, I did not watch the video .... but if the OP would use some cash app to transfer me some money ...... Otherwise, I got plenty of entertainment/ diversion from the other posts.

Thanks, all.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-14-24, 03:11 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,598 Posts
When you have people like this on our trails, they force us off. You never know when they are going to collide with you because they come out of nowhere
around the blind curves so fast. For example, this guy was literally going at this speed into a blind curve:

https://www.youtube.com/@IdiotsOnTheBikePathInEtobicoke/short

I have given up using any of our trails. I run on the sidewalk now. It's sad, but you can't control these people. That's life. It's better to be safe than a collection of broken bones and concussions.
Sidewalks are one of the more dangerous places to ride, unless you ride at walking speed, and stop and look at every intersection.
Cars are not expecting you and so don't see you (function of how vision processing works in the brain)

and locally our sidewalks are being used by all sorts of powered scooters, ebike, etc

the MUP you are afraid of is much safer overall

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-14-24, 03:21 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by bboy314
If you’re referring to the LA spandex trope, go back and reread their first sentence.
You mean the OP's first sentence in his first post in this thread? He says nothing about Lance or Lycra.
Old 05-14-24, 03:43 PM
bbbean 

You mean the OP's first sentence in his first post in this thread? He says nothing about Lance or Lycra.
OK, the 2nd sentence: "I am terrified of getting into a head on collision with the careless lyrca lance armstrong types riding in tandem,..."

Likes For bbbean:
Old 05-14-24, 04:04 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
I almost got into a head on collision with an e-mtber. I was climbing/carrying momentum and he came from the other side up a hill. Dense tree/vegetation, and we both stopped on the uphill side(my left, his right). He skidded his rear(heh disk brakes) and I was fine.
Not scared, just found it somewhat comedic.
Maybe 3ft away when we both stopped.
Old 05-14-24, 05:41 PM
bboy314

Sorry, second sentence of this thread
Old 05-17-24, 10:03 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
I almost got into a head on collision with an e-mtber. I was climbing/carrying momentum and he came from the other side up a hill. Dense tree/vegetation, and we both stopped on the uphill side(my left, his right). He skidded his rear(heh disk brakes) and I was fine.
Not scared, just found it somewhat comedic.
Maybe 3ft away when we both stopped.
If you were climbing, how did you both stop on the uphill side? I'm having a hard time imagining this.
Also, if you were on your left, then you were in his lane and it was your fault. Why were you in his lane?
Old 05-17-24, 11:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,966 Times in 3,062 Posts
Hello everyone,

Because of work schedules, and a lack of a car, I only have access to one bike trail in Toronto.

I am terrified of getting into a head on collision with the careless lyrca lance armstrong types riding in tandem, e-bikes, dirtbikes, electric unicycles, and scooters that just rip it along the trail.Is my fear unrealistic, or can I get hurt colliding with them? The point is I ride very carefully, but I cannot control if someone like this collides into me. This is the bike path I use, and these are the types of people I see on the path:

https://www.youtube.com/@IdiotsOnTheBikePathInEtobicoke/short

I googled cyclist/cyclist collision and stumbled upon this youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4832tXVyq8

Please have a look at the 7:00 and 8:55 markers.

I didn't know you could get this injured colliding into a cyclist. I have a family to support and cannot afford injury. They rely on me. I am also an avid runner and tennis player, so giving up cycling would not affect me too much. Please share your thoughts.
To answer your question/s directly: Your fear IS unrealistic and blown out of proportion. The chances of something horrific happening is pretty remote. People log hundreds and thousands of miles on MUPs without incident. I commuted 30 miles a day on MUPs for years with blind corners, dense urban areas with street crossings and pitch black tunnels without incident. Keeping your head up, riding defensively and looking ahead, are your friends. I found commuting a good time to think, unwind and enjoy nature all the while being vigilante but not to the point where I was in anyway ill at ease. You can do this too.

That being said, fear is very personal. What one person thinks is nothing can be terrifying to others - say skydiving, or mountaineering. My mantra in life is to look at the odds of an event happening rather than a few worst case scenarios. The odds of being carelessly hit are remote but always be aware of walkers, children and people with dogs who suddenly without looking will turn around right in front of you. I had a personal experience with grave fear a few years back on a hiking trip where the trail led up to a rock face with a 500’ drop. I was petrified, and maybe justifiably so, to go up it. All of a sudden, a guy came down that face like he was taking a Sunday walk in the park. I asked him how he did it, and he told me that it was actually very safe and compared to where he regularly climbed, the Swiss Alps, this was a breeze. I decided to confront my fear, suck it up, and scale the face and made it up to a beautiful vantage point that many never were able to behold. It taught me that fear is in my head and to overcome it, had to challenge it. I did, and learned an important life lesson. It was all in my head and can be overcome. I have used this mantra successfully a few times since.

Now to your second question, can you be hurt colliding with someone? I really believe you already know the answer to this. You can be hurt if you tip over on your bike all by yourself. There is an inherent risk in anything you do, say taking a shower and slipping or climbing a ladder. Again, going back to the odds of the event, just because people slip and fall in the shower - with far more of these occurrences happening than bike accidents, it doesn’t keep people from showering. I am mindful of not letting my feet getting to soapy and slipping, etc. Driving or riding a car and getting killed is far more dangerous than riding a bike. And I bet you still shower and ride in vehicles.

Last point. It is not good form to initiate yourself into a forum dedicated to cyclists and cycling to disparage people who wear Lycra. I know it was in the context of “Lance Armstrong types” but Lycra did not need to be stated, and it may very well precipitated some of the backlash you experienced. Never pee in the pool where others swim.

So best of luck confronting your fear, keeping your head up and aware and enjoying a safe commute.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-17-24, 06:02 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
If you were climbing, how did you both stop on the uphill side? I'm having a hard time imagining this.
Also, if you were on your left, then you were in his lane and it was your fault. Why were you in his lane?
I left out quite a bit of information, and importantly it was on graded single track. From my route I was following the route which turned and went along the hill, but not directly up it. He came from the other direction where the trail went towards the right with trees in between+bushes so I had no visual. I could have gone to the right of the trail but that leads down the hill which is harder to stop, I went to my left since it would slow me down quick and I could let him by, but he too went to his right.
Fairly unrelated to the OP topic, but I probably posted it because I thought it was a chill and NBD encounter, didn't make me scared or anything, just walked afterwards after he left since I figured more riders were coming, which was cool. I hope OP can figure this out overtime and if running is fine then he can keep doing that.
Likes For slow rollin: