Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The best aluminum frames...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The best aluminum frames...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-11, 05:58 PM
Flannol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
E5.... Huge differences between the E5 and the A1. The E5 is lighter, stiffer, has a tapered head tube.....etc......
I heard/read this too.

I've been eyeing up the 2011 Allez Comp for quite a while now (now that I know my budget won't stretch to a Madone 4.5), but I've recently discovered I can purchase a similarly specc'd Ribble carbon for the same price (£1100, full 5700 105) so I don't know any more :/ People who know what they're talking about at my club keep pressuring me to get a carbon, but considering I've never ridden either an ali or a cabon, I really haven't a clue which to choose! Power transmission is what I most care about, really....
Old 02-10-11, 09:50 PM
tortugaflats

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
specialized upgraded my frame from a cracked frame last year to the comp. i can honestly say that there is a difference. happy with the new one.
Old 02-10-11, 10:29 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tortugaflats
specialized upgraded my frame from a cracked frame last year to the comp. i can honestly say that there is a difference. happy with the new one.
Good info. Thanks!
Old 02-11-11, 07:19 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flannol
I heard/read this too.

I've been eyeing up the 2011 Allez Comp for quite a while now (now that I know my budget won't stretch to a Madone 4.5), but I've recently discovered I can purchase a similarly specc'd Ribble carbon for the same price (£1100, full 5700 105) so I don't know any more :/ People who know what they're talking about at my club keep pressuring me to get a carbon, but considering I've never ridden either an ali or a cabon, I really haven't a clue which to choose! Power transmission is what I most care about, really....
Don't assume that a CF frame is better. A cheap CF frame (+ cheap fork) will not feel and ride better than a good Al frameset. I am not knocking "lower cost" CF because I do believe it is possible to build a very good ride with some of them but you have to consider the sum of the geometry, materials, and construction. Plus the forks. A good fork can transform a ride.
Old 02-11-11, 11:13 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Don't assume that a CF frame is better. A cheap CF frame (+ cheap fork) will not feel and ride better than a good Al frameset. I am not knocking "lower cost" CF because I do believe it is possible to build a very good ride with some of them but you have to consider the sum of the geometry, materials, and construction. Plus the forks. A good fork can transform a ride.
So, in the Specialized line, are you saying you feel the E5 Aluminum Allez would ride every bit as good or better than the FACT IS 8r carbon SL2 frame in the lower end Tarmacs? Not being argumentative at all. I've heard people say this and have never clarified and I have not done any comparison riding myself.
Old 02-11-11, 11:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
True. And from my own stable I can say that newer top of the line Al (2008 Cervelo Soloist Team) is lighter, stiffer, and livelier than older top of the line CF (2000 Trek 5200).
Old 02-11-11, 11:46 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
So, in the Specialized line, are you saying you feel the E5 Aluminum Allez would ride every bit as good or better than the FACT IS 8r carbon SL2 frame in the lower end Tarmacs? Not being argumentative at all. I've heard people say this and have never clarified and I have not done any comparison riding myself.
No. I'm saying that a CF frame that is in the price range of a good Al frame is not better by virtue of it being CF. Odds are the Al frame is superior. A Tarmac is not cheap CF. Better is subjective and it can also depend on the application. I haven't ridden either of the bikes you want to compare.
Old 02-11-11, 12:19 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
JUST got an email from Competitive Cyclist. Ridley Compact/Sram Rival for $1499.

RIDLEY COMPACT/SRAM RIVAL COMPLETE BIKE

The Ridley Compact/SRAM Rival Complete Bike is an ideal choice if you aren't keen on diving headfirst into the carbon frameset craze, but you're tantalized by the skillful construction, Belgian race heritage, and unique geometry of Ridley. Keep in mind that over the last decade a good number of Ridley's sponsored pros (be it on Unibet, Davitamon-Lotto or Katusha) chose Ridley's aluminum frames over carbon options in the belief that aluminum offered unmatched stability and handling at speed on the nasty pavé of northern Europe.
Thanks to the fact that the Compact is built with tapered, triple-butted 7005 aluminum tubes, it weighs in at a 1.4kg -- a smidge above 3lbs, not too far from the weight of Ridley's most widely used carbon frame, the Damocles. And it's appropriate to mention the Damocles since it's easy to think of the Compact as an aluminum version of the Damocles: They both use Ridley's "Sharp Edged Design", where the top tube has a triangular cross section where it mates to the headtube, and where the downtube is hexagonal where it feeds into the BB shell. The net effect is giving you maximum stiffness and power transfer when you're pouring serious power into the pedals. The girth of the stays suggests the same -- they beg you to hop on the bike and stomp out a 1 minute interval. Not unlike the rest of tubes on the frame, you'll do a double take at their stoutness. But then your amazement won't stop for the fact that the bike feels so light when you pick it up.
We've paired up the Compact with a 2010 SRAM Rival gruppo. Rival is globally recognized as providing unmatched performance-per-dollar in a race-minded component gruppo. Other details include a Fizik Pavé saddle, an Easton EA70 seatpost, bar and stem, and Easton EA50 SL wheels durable enough for everyday training, but aero and light enough for race day. You'll also get Michelin Pro 3 Race clinchers and Arundel cork ribbon. And one huge added bonus is FSA's best-selling carbon fiber crankset, the SL-K Light with a matching bottom bracket. Don't compare this to other sub-$1,500 bikes in the marketplace. If you want a fair comparison, look at bikes in the $2,500+ range from other brands. This is the ultimate value if you're looking for a race-worthy bike, and you're keen on keeping the cost at $1,500. Whether you're looking for a top-flight race bike, or a backup for your carbon race bike, the Compact should be on your short list.
The Ridley Compact comes standard with a Ridley 4ZA R-Blade carbon fork and an FSA integrated headset. Given the fact it comes with a sloping top tube, we encourage you to focus on the virtual top tube length in order to determine the ideal frame size. It has a 5-year warranty from manufacturing defect.