Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 02:15 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
AKA Trucker's Tan.
No, I rolled my sleeves down, so it is actually on my face, sitting in the car!

I used to get neat sunburns on my motorcycle. I had a distinct line on my hand/wrist where my sleeve stopped.
Old 06-29-16, 04:58 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 99 Posts
Today's commute was a nice uneventful ride.
Old 06-29-16, 05:49 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I took my single speed commuter to the beach and rode it in the sand some over the weekend. During this week's commute I been hearing some grinding noises while pedaling and this morning I rode in early so I can see what's up. Bottom bracket bearings were full of sand. Thankfully I mostly run bikes with one piece Ashtabula cranks and had it tore down, cleaned, and repacked in 30 minutes. I soaked the chain in the parts washer and at lunch I cleaned and lubed the chain and installed it.

Tonight after work I might as well rebuild the coaster brake and front hub, but this is also a cake walk on the old Huffy.
Old 06-29-16, 06:02 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Went the long way this morning thru the river market area. Really wasn't much further 7.1 versus 6.2-6.5. Interesting though is my legs feel less zonked. May have to take a rest day. I've did almost 80 miles a week for three weeks straight.. starting to bark at cars.

Last edited by esmith2039; 06-29-16 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-29-16, 06:46 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A clear night yielded a cooler, less humid morning, but it warmed up pretty quickly with the full sun out too. I couldn't find many snacks in the house to bring to work, but when I was about a tenth of a mile from home I remembered there was yogurt in the fridge. Turned around and went back for a couple of those.
Old 06-29-16, 07:23 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Low 50's made for a cool ride. Wore a lightweight jacket and cruised in at a relaxed pace. Been doing a lot more biking in the past two months and can feel it. Went to a brewsana (yoga and beer at a brewery in town) class last night and wow, my hips and quads are extremely tight. I have some work to do.
Old 06-29-16, 07:26 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Woah, only 57F this morning
Old 06-29-16, 07:42 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And another PR on the hill this morning. And I'm #31 now. #30 still has nearly 20 seconds on me, though. I'll catch him someday.
Old 06-29-16, 08:27 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 117 Posts
Got up early and went out for a run. About 1/2 mile into it the rain started. I considered turning back, but then decided I was prepared to get soaked in sweat anyway, so what did it matter how I got wet. Did pick up the pace a little bit just to try and wrap it up a little sooner, and wound up running the 2.8 miles a full minute faster than I ran the exact same route on Monday. Felt like it too.

Got back from my run and saw my wife and son who were up unusually early for a summer day because he has a golf tournament this morning. She was worried about him being out in the rain, and because he refused to eat any breakfast. He refused to eat breakfast because his stomach usually has butterflies before a tournament and he doesn't feel like eating. I unsuccessfully tried to convince my wife that my son wouldn't die of excessive moisture, and that he wasn't going to keel over from not eating for four hours. She's a worrier. Me, probably not enough of one.

Showered off and hopped on my bike for my consecutive bicycle commute number 96. Rain had reduced to a light sprinkle. Conversely from my running, I didn't push the bicycle pace this morning. It was a pretty easy ride.
Old 06-30-16, 12:43 AM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 flats today + 1 last week = ChainReactionCycles order

Two flats today; one on the way to work, one on the way home. Add that to another I had last week and it made for a ChainReactionCycles order this morning at work.

Riding up a long hill at ~15 km/h (<10 mph) I heard my rear tire burst and felt the air blast out against my right ankle. It was great weather and I was across the street from a park so I was able to kneel on the grass in the shade and change my tube. Sidewall had a clear gash in it though; small but obvious. Corresponding but smaller tear in the tube. No sharp objects detectable in the tire. Changed it and finished the last 10km of my ride to work.

About 7km into my ride home, exact same failure mechanism for another flat today. Only got <20km out of that one. Can't see any other tears, so presume that it failed either due to a pinch flat (this was the first time I'd ever used the more expensive Continental Race 28 "Light" tubes) or possibly (less likely?) the tear in the sidewall compromising the new tube.

I had just switched to the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II 25x700. Seems to me this tire is not able to stand up to the abuses of my paved road commutes to/from work. Going back to the Grand Prix 4 Season. Also switching back to the regular Race 28 tube which has always lasted me in the past. After my flat last week I needed to restock on tubes, but they were out of my usual tubes so got the "Light". Big mistake apparently.
Old 06-30-16, 05:01 AM
essiemyra

The commute this morning was a nice uneventful ride.
Old 06-30-16, 06:44 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Got up early and went out for a run. About 1/2 mile into it the rain started. I considered turning back, but then decided I was prepared to get soaked in sweat anyway, so what did it matter how I got wet. Did pick up the pace a little bit just to try and wrap it up a little sooner, and wound up running the 2.8 miles a full minute faster than I ran the exact same route on Monday. Felt like it too.
Running in the rain can be quite enjoyable, as long as it's not a crazy downpour or accompanied by thunder. Good job for continuing on.

Nice, humid ride in today. I had somehow come by a free breakfast sandwich card for Chick-Fil-A. I found it recently and noticed it expired today. So this morning I skipped my usual long ways around and stopped by for some breakfast. Some pretty good chicken and biscuits they got there.
Old 06-30-16, 07:33 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

This morning's ride to work was pleasant, but unremarkable.

My lunch time plans, however, are quite remarkable. The first Popeye's chicken in our region is opening today at 10:30. I'm going to take an early lunch break and ride my bike over to be there when the doors open.

My only worry is that I'm going to gorge myself so bad on red beans & rice that I won't be able to ride my bike back to work afterwards.
Old 06-30-16, 09:18 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Super nice this morning, upper 60's to around 70 and lower humidity. Compare that to 80 degrees at 6:30 AM with 90%+ humidity last week.
Old 06-30-16, 09:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,115 Times in 1,378 Posts
Still avoiding commutes due to the monstrous evening heat. Instead I brought the Paramount in, to ride around the lake at lunch. Sitting at the desk adjusting the straps on my new Giro roadie helmet, bought at the Sports Authority going out of business sale. No watermelon helmet until it cools off again.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-30-16, 09:25 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Let us know how it goes. I hope my advice works.
Thanks again, @joeyduck! I received the glasses a two days ago and have been riding with them yesterday and today. Tres chique. Should prolly start hunting down either the clear lens or yellow lens for cloudy days. Or maybe should just get another frame with the lens already in it. Will see...

Last edited by ptempel; 06-30-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 10:16 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
My company is moving to a new office in a few weeks, and so I "commuted" to the new place to see how the construction was going and make sure the data lines were all being run in the right places (they weren't...) Then I rode home again. So that's sort of a commute. The new place is about 3 km closer than our current office, but I'll probably still work from home most days.
Old 06-30-16, 10:27 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Great commute form home yesterday and today. The weather was good 68F morning and 84F or so afternoon. This week is a short week so trying to get in some extra miles in the three days that I'm commuting on.
Old 06-30-16, 10:44 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7388 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,481 Posts
It's the last day of June, and we normally would have hot and humid weather, but it still hasn't come. It's been delightful. I can't believe the temperature reports, because a cool breeze is coming off the river, making it feel much cooler than it actually is. It's heavenly.

I rode to work every day last week, a first for me, and I rode to work two out of three days this week. (We get Fridays off in the summer.)

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-30-16, 11:49 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

So I was successful in my plans to take an early lunch and be there when our area's first Popeye's restaurant opened. I arrived at about 10:10, and the doors opened at 10:30. My wife and son drove separately and met me there. There was already a line forming. I was hoping to be their first customer, but wound up being number 18.

People kept showing up and getting in line. We got our food about 15 minutes after we got through the door and sat down to eat, and marveled at what transpired before us. Cars were backed up quite literally for blocks with people wanting to come to the restaurant. The owner, who I'd met while standing in line, was now outside with other employees trying to direct traffic. Eventually the police arrived trying to control the gridlock that was being caused by the store.

I mean, I'm a huge Popeye's fan, but this was absolute insanity. It was like everyone in the city was starving and this was where the Red Cross was handing out the food. When I was leaving I walked out to the owner who was still trying to keep order with the traffic, intending to congratulate him on the success of his first day. He looked at me with an expression of absolute terror and I could tell he was thinking, "what have I done?"

The reason I'm writing this is because I got to experience a great benefit of bicycle commuting. I hopped on my bike and rode around all the cars sitting motionless on the street. In less than a minute I was blocks away and free of the gridlock. My wife and son, who had parked about a block from the restaurant, spent 1/2 hour just trying to get out of their parking space.
Old 06-30-16, 11:54 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got yelled at by a cyclist this morning.

I live on a busy bike route. I can't/not allowed to bike these days, so I drive to work.

My street is blocked at one end not allowing cars to go through, cars only can turn right. I tend to park facing away from the blocked end. Yesterday I parked facing the blocked end. It is easier for me to execute a K-turn then to go all the way down and around the block to head to work.

So this morning a K-turn is what I did. I have attached a diagram. I noticed the cyclist over a block away as I was starting, he was far enough for me to complete my turn with him just stopping pedaling for a beat or two.

Get to point three as I am finished and getting ready to pull ahead and clear the lane with my car(truck) when he passes directly in front of me. I sound my horn. He stops and starts yelling at me.

He says I need to pay attention and wait. I told him it was stupid to pass in front (or behind) of a vehicle executing a K-turn. He said I needed to pay attention, I said I was paying attention and that is why I sounded my horn. It went back and forth him saying I was wrong for not looking and sounding my horn. Me saying it was a foolish, dangerous, and poor decision to pass a vehicle doing a K-turn. It ended with him saying maybe we are both wrong. Me, not wanting to concede the last word said nope you're wrong.

Anywho, would you guys pass a vehicle mid K-turn?

All I can think of is why would he do that, what if I was playing with my phone or trying to replan my route after entering a street that is blocked (this happens a lot)? What if I wasn't aware of cyclists and hadn't seen him, or known he was coming?

I would have prefered a calmer conversation but he was yelling at me from the start. My wife even called me at work and asked about me getting yelled at, she heard him swearing at me from the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
K turn.jpg (30.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-30-16, 01:01 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

He obviously saw you from a block away and sounds like he just wanted to be an a-hole.
Old 06-30-16, 01:05 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
So I was successful in my plans to take an early lunch and be there when our area's first Popeye's restaurant opened. I arrived at about 10:10, and the doors opened at 10:30. My wife and son drove separately and met me there. There was already a line forming. I was hoping to be their first customer, but wound up being number 18.

People kept showing up and getting in line. We got our food about 15 minutes after we got through the door and sat down to eat, and marveled at what transpired before us. Cars were backed up quite literally for blocks with people wanting to come to the restaurant. The owner, who I'd met while standing in line, was now outside with other employees trying to direct traffic. Eventually the police arrived trying to control the gridlock that was being caused by the store.

I mean, I'm a huge Popeye's fan, but this was absolute insanity. It was like everyone in the city was starving and this was where the Red Cross was handing out the food. When I was leaving I walked out to the owner who was still trying to keep order with the traffic, intending to congratulate him on the success of his first day. He looked at me with an expression of absolute terror and I could tell he was thinking, "what have I done?"

The reason I'm writing this is because I got to experience a great benefit of bicycle commuting. I hopped on my bike and rode around all the cars sitting motionless on the street. In less than a minute I was blocks away and free of the gridlock. My wife and son, who had parked about a block from the restaurant, spent 1/2 hour just trying to get out of their parking space.
I've seen that happen around here as well, pretty much any time a new restaurant opens, especially if it's highly anticipated. You should have seen the area around the Pyramid in downtown Memphis when the new Bass Pro store opened up there finally last year. The Pyramid building is a Memphis icon, but has sat empty and unused since about 2003-2004 when FedEx Forum opened up. It had been round and round for years as to whether it would be demolished or someone would buy it and do something with it. Now it's a huge Bass Pro store with lots of stuff inside including restaurants, shooting ranges, observation deck, etc. It was madness all around there for WEEKS after it opened. But with the renovation they actually included bike parking near the front entrance and bike lanes on the entrance road leading to the building, which is nice to have if traffic is backed up.
Old 07-01-16, 05:11 AM
essiemyra

I took a different route to work today, which means I did not have to ride the small hill, though small has a somewhat difficult grade. With that change it was a very nice ride to work. And it is Friday before a long weekend!! YaY!!
Old 07-01-16, 05:29 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Loaded the bike on the car and drove to my normal spot at wifey's work. Unloaded the bike to get ready for my commute and the rain drops started falling. I decided to ride in the rain! I hated the last time I got stuck riding in the rain, but this was light and not too bad.

I was having a good hair day, but not anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.