Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 01:25 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@HardyWeinberg

Sorry about the accident. I can relate to how driving sucks the soul and cardio endurance from your seemingly barely alive body when you're not allowed to commute.

I have never tried tubeless, but a few years ago on a model of Marathons (can't recall exact model) I has three tires give me wire bead/sidewall delamination issues. Once I was incredibly lucky that I noticed a bulge forming on an easy slight uphill grade, because I had a screamer hill with three lanes of rush hours coming up next. I booted it and got to work. Two other instances I had the read bead/sidewall blowout, it is loud. They replaced at least two of the three is I recall correctly, I never had an issue since then.
Old 07-06-16, 02:52 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm not ready for tubeless!
I agree. The potential downsides are too great.
Old 07-06-16, 03:03 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm not ready for tubeless!
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I agree. The potential downsides are too great.
I definitely see your points!
Old 07-06-16, 03:08 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Due to family responsibilities and other commitments, I rode less in june than I did in January or Feb. (I'm not complaining, I'm still lucky enough to ride about 3 days/week!!)

I broke a spoke yesterday AM. I took it easy, and then on the way home I stopped at MEC* and they replaced it, and only charged me for the material cost of a single spoke!! They did warn me that I'd soon be in the market for a new rear wheel--I knew that already...

* MEC = Mountain Equipment Co-op, which is similar to what REI used to be, although MEC is changing a lot in the last few years...
Old 07-06-16, 03:43 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timvan_78
Due to family responsibilities and other commitments, I rode less in june than I did in January or Feb. (I'm not complaining, I'm still lucky enough to ride about 3 days/week!!)

I broke a spoke yesterday AM. I took it easy, and then on the way home I stopped at MEC* and they replaced it, and only charged me for the material cost of a single spoke!! They did warn me that I'd soon be in the market for a new rear wheel--I knew that already...

* MEC = Mountain Equipment Co-op, which is similar to what REI used to be, although MEC is changing a lot in the last few years...
You mean, "They spoke to me..."
Old 07-06-16, 04:07 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timvan_78
They did warn me that I'd soon be in the market for a new rear wheel
"Yup, that wheel's gonna be breakin' more spokes soon. Nah, don't you worry about what Earl's doin' to it with that file. He's a perfeshunal and we always act in yer best intrests."
Old 07-07-16, 04:56 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot, sticky, humid...those frigid winter commutes feel like some fuzzy dream from the distant past. 77F/25C before 06:00 in the morning.
Old 07-07-16, 05:17 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 98 Posts
I took a different route to work today. I do not usually ride in this particular area and I have been trying to learn the area. I took a wrong turn and went about half a mile before I realized I was going the wrong way. Oh well just a little extra riding added in. Another humid day today but not to hot this am.
Old 07-07-16, 05:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Yup, Sticky...

Man, I was dripping wet when I arrived this morning. I've been riding a road bike with a backpack, just to change things up. It's faster and maybe a little more sporty and enjoyable. But having my glutes and hamstrings engaged to much has changed the way my body feels. I was a little tight and sore this morning. Warm up took a bit longer.

The bike rack at work has been empty except for me. What is this, February? Where are all of my fellow riders from last summer? Anyone?
Old 07-07-16, 05:51 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Wild ride this morning with the storms rolling in. Barely missed a flying trashcan and couple limbs even before I left the neighborhood. Awesome tail wind though!
Old 07-07-16, 05:53 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The roads in town where I commute are really bad. I need a new fork since I twisted mine last week clipping a tree. I stole the cheap suspension fork from the wifey's bike she never rides and tried them out. I like the suspension forks, but these cheap ones bottom out hopping off high curbs and stuff, so I might splurge on a better set of suspension forks.

Old 07-07-16, 06:54 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Looking at the radar and listening to the weather terrorists' forecasts it looked like the rain would hold off until I got to work and be gone before I ride home. Cruised in on my touring bike with the fenders. Cool but humid so the sweat was rolling. Supposed to stay cool in the upper 60's for the ride home thanks to that big AC unit of a lake and an east wind.
Old 07-07-16, 07:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Nice and cool ride this morning, got to the station pretty dry. But then, waiting on the platform, it started to rain -- strange rain, big warm drops, I wasn't the only one wondering if a bird had got me. It stopped before the train got there.
Old 07-07-16, 07:20 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The word for today is construction - blocking 2 separate trails today. At least the workers were good about directing me through
Old 07-07-16, 07:43 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 117 Posts
Interesting situation when I left work yesterday. I rolled my bike out of the building (this client has an indoor bike storage area,) hopped on and started for home. Immediately something didn't feel right. I looked down and my rear tire was flat.

So I wheeled the bike back inside so I could at least fix the tire in air conditioning. Pulled the wheel, swapped the tube and replaced the wheel without too much fanfare. This was the first flat I've gotten on this bike (bought it a year ago) so I got to try out the new CO2 inflator I bought at the same time. Worked pretty well, which was a relief. Later when I got home I released all the CO2 and filled the tube with proper air from my pump.

After I put the wheel back on, I noticed the rear derailleur was stuck in the highest gear. Odd. It wasn't like that when I first tried to ride away twenty minutes earlier. Upon inspection I discovered the derailleur cable was completely slack. I have no idea how that happened. So I spent a few minutes setting up the derailleur from scratch. Glad I know how to do my own maintenance, otherwise I'd be calling for a ride home.

I thought about just riding home in high gear and deal with fixing it when I could put the bike on my work stand in the garage. Then I remembered the monster hill upon which I live, and realized there was no way I'm strong enough to pull that high gear up the hill even if I dropped the front into the smaller ring. So I'd be walking that hill for over a mile. In bike shoes. Doing a quick calculation I decided that I could probably fix the derailleur faster than I could walk the hill, so I just dealt with it right then and there.

At first I thought it was a really weird coincidence that I had a flat tire and my derailleur went slack at the exact same time. I was suspecting perhaps someone vandalized my bike? I decided that the "smoking gun" would be testing the tube. If the tube had no holes in it then maybe someone did indeed let the air out of the tire and loosen the clamp on my derailleur. However, when I got home I put the tube underwater and confirmed that there was a pin hole in the tube. I was just being paranoid. It actually was just a weird coincidence that both things happened at the exact same time.
Old 07-07-16, 10:46 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Excellent! my legs are definitely riding faster than my brain is willing to lean into a turn so I need to get them reharmonized.

In the handlebar bag, my chili paste jar unsealed a bit and leaked onto my breakfast apples, so spicy morning treat!
Old 07-07-16, 11:16 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
Excellent! my legs are definitely riding faster than my brain is willing to lean into a turn so I need to get them reharmonized.

In the handlebar bag, my chili paste jar unsealed a bit and leaked onto my breakfast apples, so spicy morning treat!
May I ask why you are carrying chili paste to work?

But, mmm chili apples. My Fijian landlord uses lots of chili and I recall him once bringing me a spicy dish that had apples in it. They were nice and crisp and the spice worked well with them and everything else in the dish.
Old 07-07-16, 11:39 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

I have a small jar at work that, when it is empty, I refill from a gallon jar at home. Today was a refill day!
Old 07-07-16, 12:03 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fifth flat tire in <2 weeks on my way home from work last night. Weather was nice so wasn't a big deal to change it; even conveniently broke down at a nice spot with some grass & trees beside the sidewalk. Then I got home and realized I'd left my emergency under-saddle bag on the ground after re-packing it with my tools etc. It was about a half hour ride away so I got in the car and drove back; found that somebody had dumped the contents of the bag all over the ground and took the following:
  • Specialized CPRO2 CO2 head (~$30)
  • 2 CO2 canisters (one was used, $1.25 for the unused one)
  • two KMC Missing Links (~$5), and
  • Crank Brothers Speedier Lever ($10).
The vermin thieves left behind:
  • pile of nitrile gloves (cheap);
  • my holey tube (cheap); and,
  • the Ibera Waterproof saddle bag itself ($40)
I actually just realized I didn't check whether they noticed my Crank Brothers M19 multitool tucked away in a sort of hidden pocket at the top of my bag; probably wouldn't have fallen out if they'd just shaken the bag contents onto the ground. I'll need to check that out when I get home (didn't bother carrying the bag with me today as it had nothing in it of value to me if I broke down).

All in all, it could have been worse. They took about $50 worth of stuff (>$90 if they took the M19), and left behind about $40 worth of stuff (>$80 if they left the M19). Worse than the money, it's just a pain in the a$$ that now I have to take the time to replace that stuff. It's also pretty annoying that they actually took the time to selectively sort through what they were going to take.
Old 07-07-16, 12:11 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a small jar at work that, when it is empty, I refill from a gallon jar at home. Today was a refill day!
I guess the better question is what do you do with a supply of chili paste at work? And a gallon at home?!

What sort of chili paste are we talking about? I am thinking something like a sambal?
Old 07-07-16, 12:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7378 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,474 Posts
Wow, @HydroG33r, thieves are so weird.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-07-16, 12:24 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Originally Posted by joeyduck
What sort of chili paste are we talking about? I am thinking something like a sambal?
Exactly that. I just use it with lunch.
Old 07-07-16, 12:25 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
Fifth flat tire in <2 weeks on my way home from work last night. Weather was nice so wasn't a big deal to change it; even conveniently broke down at a nice spot with some grass & trees beside the sidewalk. Then I got home and realized I'd left my emergency under-saddle bag on the ground after re-packing it with my tools etc. It was about a half hour ride away so I got in the car and drove back; found that somebody had dumped the contents of the bag all over the ground and took the following:
  • Specialized CPRO2 CO2 head (~$30)
  • 2 CO2 canisters (one was used, $1.25 for the unused one)
  • two KMC Missing Links (~$5), and
  • Crank Brothers Speedier Lever ($10).
The vermin thieves left behind:
  • pile of nitrile gloves (cheap);
  • my holey tube (cheap); and,
  • the Ibera Waterproof saddle bag itself ($40)
I actually just realized I didn't check whether they noticed my Crank Brothers M19 multitool tucked away in a sort of hidden pocket at the top of my bag; probably wouldn't have fallen out if they'd just shaken the bag contents onto the ground. I'll need to check that out when I get home (didn't bother carrying the bag with me today as it had nothing in it of value to me if I broke down).

All in all, it could have been worse. They took about $50 worth of stuff (>$90 if they took the M19), and left behind about $40 worth of stuff (>$80 if they left the M19). Worse than the money, it's just a pain in the a$$ that now I have to take the time to replace that stuff. It's also pretty annoying that they actually took the time to selectively sort through what they were going to take.
Jerk faces.

If you are ever in my hood I usually have a pump and levers in my front porch, accessible to all. I will leave a patch kit now too. But it sounds like you need new tires.

I once was lazy/complacent and left my saddle bag on my bike at my old strata in Burnaby. Something roused me and I went out unusually early and found that my bag was riffled through and my Gerber multitool. I actually caught the guy and confronted him but he was a sketched out meth head so I cut my losses.
Old 07-07-16, 12:26 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly that. I just use it with lunch.
Mmmm, mouth watering emoticon.
Old 07-07-16, 12:34 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

well, my default lunch out of the filing cabinet drawer is quick udon (not dried) and a can of sardines, both of which go better w/ chili paste...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.