Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XXIX

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 08:54 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
FORTY DOLLARS!?! You gotta lotta nerve, Nitto. The Problem Solvers version is about $25. And hey, cyclists-- if anyone wants something like this but isn't willing to pay that premium, I could fabricate one in about 20 minutes. I made something altogether similar out of cherry to move my bar-mount light onto the fork.

I was thinking something like this

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...All%20Products

just need to find it with the proper threading for an eyelet.
Old 09-15-17, 09:17 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,527 Times in 2,617 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I committed that most unforgivable of sins: I rode a bicycle on a public street.
That's bananas. Did you get a license plate?
Old 09-16-17, 10:58 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I just got home from Club Med for round 10 of chemo. The bike is still sitting comfortably out in the garage. I have my college roommates coming for the weekend, so I probably won't get on it until next week sometime.
Enjoy your visit! Are you soon done with visits to club med?
Old 09-16-17, 01:40 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Went for a ride today, it rained this morning and was still a drizzle. I was thinking that anyone that has N+1 should put fenders on one of the bikes.

temps were 80 when I started and at one point I felt a cool blast of wind and the temps dropped into the 60's.
Old 09-16-17, 02:51 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
My oldest son had a football game last night, and this morning we got up early and drove an hour to ride in the Dirty Dozen Road Classic. We chose the 20 mile route https://www.strava.com/activities/1187154331 and only walked one hill.

It was a good ride with my oldest son going at his pace.

This ride also cleared a bunch of crud from my lungs caused by all of the wildfire smoke in the air.
Old 09-18-17, 11:51 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Sunday, and today actually, when coming back toward town I had to migrate toward the center stripe on an out of the way road because there was a dead carp on the right side when I normally would ride.

While the river is nearby, it's not near enough that the carp swam there.

Today it was a much dark shade than it was on Sunday.
Old 09-18-17, 02:25 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Enjoy your visit! Are you soon done with visits to club med?

Well, the doctor said I'd be lucky if my body would allow 8 rounds of chemo. My counts keep regenerating well enough that he's willing to give me "one more". I heard him say I'm taking a break after 10, but I'm also scheduled for round 11, "just in case". So, I'm honestly not sure if this will ever end!
Old 09-18-17, 03:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There you go. Means nuthin' to nobody, but I passed my millionth foot of vertical today. 712 rides in 865 days.

Old 09-18-17, 06:19 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
That's impressive, congrats. I'm at about 23,400 miles in 1445 days. But you made me go back and look, looks like I'm at about 1,020,000 feet. Records before 2015 are a bit flaky was using MapMyRide on my phone.
Old 09-18-17, 09:49 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I was using the usual "already owned it" non-GPS units for the first five months on the bike. Combine that with the handful of rides the Garmins ate, and I figure conservatively add about 70,000ft to the total. But as they tritely say, Strava or it didn't happen. I hit a million on Strava, so that's the million I got.

As of late, I've come to the conclusion that I don't care for climbing all that much. Beyond 2,000 feet a day just makes me tired, and it's tough to maintain my desired weekly miles while throwing in +10,000ft of vertical a week. I think I did like 6k last week and 8k the week before that, and it's just generally more pleasant.

I also think my Garmin is getting loopier with each passing ride, as I often get radically different elevation totals riding the same routes from day to day-- combine that with Strava Math and I'm never 100% certain how far I've gone, how much I've climbed, or how long it took. I live by averages.
Old 09-19-17, 12:59 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, the doctor said I'd be lucky if my body would allow 8 rounds of chemo. My counts keep regenerating well enough that he's willing to give me "one more". I heard him say I'm taking a break after 10, but I'm also scheduled for round 11, "just in case". So, I'm honestly not sure if this will ever end!
Dang, Joe, sorry to read this. But I bet you can still kick my butt going up GMR
Old 09-19-17, 02:18 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Dang, Joe, sorry to read this. But I bet you can still kick my butt going up GMR

I'd have to look at a calendar, but there was a day in March that I can say was the lowest point in my life. It was the day that I realized I couldn't walk anymore. Seriously. My right leg was paralyzed and my left have very little movement. The cancer in my back had fractured the L5 vertebrae and was pressing on my spinal chord. My PT lady was there and tried to help me stand, but it just wasn't coming. 13 cycles of radiation got me moving again. I can now walk, and each day and chemo treatment that goes by allows me to walk just a little bit better, but if I stick my right leg straight out in front of me, I can not lift it up. It just won't go. So.....I got $100 on this bet, but I'm putting my money on you, not me. I'm putting $1,000 on my wife not letting me anywhere near that mountain!

I go in for an MRI of my back this coming Friday, then at some point I'm meeting with the Neurosurgeon to see if he wants to operate. What we do NOT want to hear is that there's no point in operating if I only have x amount of months left. So far, so good. He didn't say that in our first appointment, but he hadn't seen my MRI yet. So, we will see.
Old 09-20-17, 12:28 PM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Wishing you the best PhotoJoe ...

Unseasonably warm today (and the rest of the week/weekend) here in WI ... 88 degress here at the moment. Should have ridden this morning to escape the heat. Plus the heat cranked up the headwinds, ugh ...
Old 09-20-17, 12:47 PM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Wishing you the best PhotoJoe ...

Unseasonably warm today (and the rest of the week/weekend) here in WI ... 88 degress here at the moment. Should have ridden this morning to escape the heat. Plus the heat cranked up the headwinds, ugh ...
Turn around go the other way.
Old 09-20-17, 12:59 PM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Wind wasn't too bad when I left ... but it went from 12 mph out of the south to 20 mph out of the south in minutes it seemed.

AND ... I'm stubborn
Old 09-20-17, 06:09 PM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wishing you the best PJ...

@ill.clyde I noticed you had some Fat Lad cycling clothes, how do you like them? I've been tempted to get me some
Old 09-21-17, 01:21 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
Been a busy week, riding my bike from San Francisco to San Diego. I started on Monday, Almost to the half way point!!
So far in 3 days, 291miles and 14,934ft of vertical. Today was a big day, Carmel valley to Paso Robles, 134miles and 7200ft vertical. Burned allot of matches today so maybe an easier day tomorrow. I'll see how I feel when I get back on the bike
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-21-17, 08:15 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turzy
@ill.clyde I noticed you had some Fat Lad cycling clothes, how do you like them? I've been tempted to get me some

I love the jersey ... fits well, quality fabric, absolutely no complaints about it. I've been wanting to order a couple more, but we're getting to the point of the year when long sleeves make more sense, and I got a killer deal on a couple of jacket/jersey type tops from REI, so I haven't ordered more yet. But before next season I'll get a couple at least.

I also ordered the bibs, and while I do like them, they're a little bigger than I prefer, and I just prefer my Pearl Izumis more. I haven't decided if I'm going to gift them to a new rider or just use them this winter on the trainer. They're not baggy, but they're not snug either. I bought their size seven, based on their "conversion" from regular sizes to theirs, and it's a little big. I would have been happier in the six.

All in all though, good kit. I wouldn't hesitate to order again, even with them being overseas.
Old 09-21-17, 09:29 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Been a busy week, riding my bike from San Francisco to San Diego. I started on Monday, Almost to the half way point!!
So far in 3 days, 291miles and 14,934ft of vertical. Today was a big day, Carmel valley to Paso Robles, 134miles and 7200ft vertical. Burned allot of matches today so maybe an easier day tomorrow. I'll see how I feel when I get back on the bike

I have a friend who rides that same general ride every year with his club the Fireflies. It's a fundraiser for City of Hope and being that the club is made up of mostly entertainment executives, they tend to raise a LOT of money! I'm envious. Enjoy the ride. It's supposed to be worth every leg cramp that you get!
Old 09-21-17, 10:57 AM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd have to look at a calendar, but there was a day in March that I can say was the lowest point in my life. It was the day that I realized I couldn't walk anymore. Seriously. My right leg was paralyzed and my left have very little movement. The cancer in my back had fractured the L5 vertebrae and was pressing on my spinal chord. My PT lady was there and tried to help me stand, but it just wasn't coming. 13 cycles of radiation got me moving again. I can now walk, and each day and chemo treatment that goes by allows me to walk just a little bit better, but if I stick my right leg straight out in front of me, I can not lift it up. It just won't go. So.....I got $100 on this bet, but I'm putting my money on you, not me. I'm putting $1,000 on my wife not letting me anywhere near that mountain!

I go in for an MRI of my back this coming Friday, then at some point I'm meeting with the Neurosurgeon to see if he wants to operate. What we do NOT want to hear is that there's no point in operating if I only have x amount of months left. So far, so good. He didn't say that in our first appointment, but he hadn't seen my MRI yet. So, we will see.
Will keep you in my prayers, brother.
Old 09-21-17, 11:49 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I have a friend who rides that same general ride every year with his club the Fireflies. It's a fundraiser for City of Hope and being that the club is made up of mostly entertainment executives, they tend to raise a LOT of money! I'm envious. Enjoy the ride. It's supposed to be worth every leg cramp that you get!
Don't be jinx me, I haven't had a leg cramp yet
Old 09-21-17, 02:00 PM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
I love the jersey ... fits well, quality fabric, absolutely no complaints about it. I've been wanting to order a couple more, but we're getting to the point of the year when long sleeves make more sense, and I got a killer deal on a couple of jacket/jersey type tops from REI, so I haven't ordered more yet. But before next season I'll get a couple at least.

I also ordered the bibs, and while I do like them, they're a little bigger than I prefer, and I just prefer my Pearl Izumis more. I haven't decided if I'm going to gift them to a new rider or just use them this winter on the trainer. They're not baggy, but they're not snug either. I bought their size seven, based on their "conversion" from regular sizes to theirs, and it's a little big. I would have been happier in the six.

All in all though, good kit. I wouldn't hesitate to order again, even with them being overseas.
Well, sounds like I'll have to order some of their kit then...I'll hold off until next season though since I haven't cycled much this year at least I'm back in the gym and should find a way to get back on the bike (trainer) soon too.
Old 09-22-17, 12:09 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I took a much needed mellow day on my tour, only 32 miles. Thought I'd be camping but staying at a old time friends in laws family's house. Home cooked meal and roof over head is awesome. Tomorrow will be a 90-100 day down to Santa B. Gotta get back in the groove.
Old 09-22-17, 07:16 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts
Best thoughts and prayers coming at you for the MRI and neurosurgeon consult, PJ.
Old 09-22-17, 09:29 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Best thoughts and prayers coming at you for the MRI and neurosurgeon consult, PJ.

Thanks, Jim. Today is easy. I'll just go take a nap in a tiny little tube. No, I'm not kidding. The tech has told me that he's heard me snoring over the noise of the MRI machine before! The follow up with the neurosurgeon is the scary one! I don't remember when that is, but not for a week or two. I've been living with a fractured vertebrae in my L5 for over a year now. What's another 2 weeks, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.