Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2016! how was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2016! how was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 12:43 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
Jerk faces.
Makes me kind of hope they don't know what the CO2 inflator is and try it out while holding the cartridge in their bare hands.

I probably shouldn't think mean thoughts like this.
Old 07-07-16, 12:44 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jerk faces.
My thoughts exactly.

But it sounds like you need new tires.
That's the funny thing... I was about 2 weeks into my new Continental Grand Prix 4000S II's (25C) when I got the first flat. Still using my Continental Race 28 tubes (the ones I always have used) then, I got the second flat a week'ish later coming up Ontario; that was an obvious sidewall cut and it blew out rapidly and audibly. Fixed that and used a Conti Race 28 Light tube (MEC was sold out of the regular Race 28's), and then had another rapid loud blowout that afternoon (admittedly probably the same mechanism due to the sidewall compromise combined with the thinner tube). Those were all rear tire. This led me to immediately change to Gatorskins (23C).

Monday on the way home from work I noticed a slow leak from my front tire (on the new Gatorskins). Topped her up with CO2, got home and changed that tube (it was a regular tube, not the light version). No obvious puncture; I was thinking faulty tube or something.

Then last night was the rear tire again; heard it leaking as I came over a bit of a high-lipped ramp to a sidewalk near Metrotown; it's a bit of a bump but I ride that just about every day without issue.

Also noticed two circular holes in the centre of the Gatorskin tread that I've seen people say are wear indicators; only showing up at one spot, and I have <150km on those tires. Think they may be going back to MEC.

I once was lazy/complacent and left my saddle bag on my bike at my old strata in Burnaby. Something roused me and I went out unusually early and found that my bag was riffled through and my Gerber multitool. I actually caught the guy and confronted him but he was a sketched out meth head so I cut my losses.
Probably wise. Not sure what I would have done if I'd caught the guy stealing my stuff...
Old 07-07-16, 12:45 PM
HydroG33r 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Makes me kind of hope they don't know what the CO2 inflator is and try it out while holding the cartridge in their bare hands.
That'd be great! Though I use the Planet Bike ones with the neoprene sleeve, and was fastidious enough already to change the sleeve over from the spent cartridge to the new one. That jerk face got lucky.
Old 07-07-16, 02:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
Took a lunchtime lap of Lake Natoma. No PR's due to frequent stops to pick and eat blackberries.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-07-16, 10:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,379 Posts
I rode the commuter bike home and left the truck at work... tomorrow I'm taking the MTB! First time in a while, I'm stoked.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-08-16, 12:36 AM
HydroG33r 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HydroG33r
I actually just realized I didn't check whether they noticed my Crank Brothers M19 multitool tucked away in a sort of hidden pocket at the top of my bag; probably wouldn't have fallen out if they'd just shaken the bag contents onto the ground. I'll need to check that out when I get home (didn't bother carrying the bag with me today as it had nothing in it of value to me if I broke down).
The jerk faces were, in fact, bright or lucky enough to find (and steal) my M19 multi tool.

Shopping to replace stolen stuff isn't even fun!
Old 07-08-16, 05:14 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 109 Posts
Thank-goodness today is Friday! My commute was damp at the start. The sky was just spitting a little. It completely stopped about halfway to work. I took the straight route in today.
Old 07-08-16, 05:41 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Nicer Morning.

The DC area was a bit cooler and slightly drier this morning. I rode my fixed gear in and felt pretty good. Saw a box turtle on the side of the road. Good morning, Turtle.

I had to do some repairs on it last night, as the BB cartridge bearing had backed out a bit and creaked when I pulled the bike out last night to ready it.
Old 07-08-16, 07:02 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Took my chances and decided to ride today, after three straight days of severe afternoon thunderstorms here. Forecasters are calling for more storms this afternoon, but the air feels a lot drier and the probabilities are lower. Plus, my wife is going to be downtown and can give me a ride home if the daily storms return at commute time. I was glad that I rode, even if I get rained out again this afternoon. After riding 7 days straight more 350 miles during vacation, I've only ridden once since my bike trip ended last Friday. It felt good to be riding again and my legs were fresh.
Old 07-08-16, 07:08 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Oh I don't know... shopping for new bike stuff is one of my favorite activities (not paying for it)! Humid a cool this morning - kind of weird sweating and feeling cold.

Today's my last commute for a couple weeks - heading to northern Michigan for a few days before riding back home. Looking forward to a week on the bike
Old 07-08-16, 07:12 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Staycation is over. So, my first ride in two weeks to the day. Nice ride. Hot and humid, but the stiff headwind kept me cool...lol.

I stayed home to work on the house. So, what do I do? I buy a nice used roadbike (Trek Madone) that needs a bit of TLC. So, I spent most of my home repair time reconditioning my new bike, replacing rims, tires, cassette, chain, cables, etc. All in all, it's done. I should have it on the road for its fist spin sometime this weekend.

My wife wants to kill me.
Old 07-08-16, 07:21 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Road the Specialized again today.. what a drag compared to the Trek. Cool but still humid. See if I can make it home without a flat, up to 2-3 a month thinking about liners.
Old 07-08-16, 10:16 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Nice ride in. 60F and muggy, really weird weather. I have a short sleeve t-shirt, long-sleeve, and raincoat to mix or match. am commute was aimed kind of between the 1st 2 but definitely not rainy enough for the latter. Yesterday's pm was rainy enough for the coat but too hot for it even with the short sleeve shirt. Will see what this afternoon brings.
Old 07-08-16, 11:58 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by esmith2039
Road the Specialized again today.. what a drag compared to the Trek. Cool but still humid. See if I can make it home without a flat, up to 2-3 a month thinking about liners.
Get a set of Gatorskins or Marathons. I never get flats and ride over a lot of crap.
Old 07-08-16, 01:31 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
Staycation is over. So, my first ride in two weeks to the day. Nice ride. Hot and humid, but the stiff headwind kept me cool...lol.

I stayed home to work on the house. So, what do I do? I buy a nice used roadbike (Trek Madone) that needs a bit of TLC. So, I spent most of my home repair time reconditioning my new bike, replacing rims, tires, cassette, chain, cables, etc. All in all, it's done. I should have it on the road for its fist spin sometime this weekend.

My wife wants to kill me.
I can see the headline now. Cyclist creates conflict causing common-law companion crushing cycle and cremating cyclsit. Sorry I love alliteration; that along with cycling and bad puns will cause my wife to kill me.

The jerk faces were, in fact, bright or lucky enough to find (and steal) my M19 multi tool.

Meanie head jerk faces. I wish ill upon them.
Old 07-08-16, 01:35 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So despite not commuting in well over 18 months I still have some riding traits that are strong while driving.

I was heading home over the bridge and there was a 3 foot long 4x4 on the road surface just sticking into the edge of the path in the left lane, near the center median. Out of habit I stuck my arm out and point out the hazard to commuters behind me, who likely didn't notice or just thought he's weird.
Old 07-08-16, 03:02 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
better safe than sorry
Old 07-08-16, 08:26 PM
SteffyMacD

Bikes: Bianchi Cortina Dama

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was good commuting weather! The temps here in Boston finally dropped so I wasn't a sweaty mess when I got to work.

My school (where I'm currently working) is having a free bike tune-up day soon. I've never brought my bike on the train before because it's just a pain in the butt leaving early or late enough to avoid the bike-ban on the T, but I might suck it up in order to save some cash.
Old 07-08-16, 09:35 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteffyMacD
Today was good commuting weather! The temps here in Boston finally dropped so I wasn't a sweaty mess when I got to work.

My school (where I'm currently working) is having a free bike tune-up day soon. I've never brought my bike on the train before because it's just a pain in the butt leaving early or late enough to avoid the bike-ban on the T, but I might suck it up in order to save some cash.
That bike tune up day may also serve as a great way for you to start learning to fix bikes on your own, and you seem line you might enjoy that skill. I would have wrangled the bike and transit for that opportunity when I was starting out commuting.
Old 07-09-16, 05:29 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Stupid exhaust broke on my car so I had to drive to the shop so I can stay after work to fix it. Starting to hate cars
Old 07-09-16, 08:46 AM
SteffyMacD

Bikes: Bianchi Cortina Dama

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike tune up day may also serve as a great way for you to start learning to fix bikes on your own, and you seem line you might enjoy that skill. I would have wrangled the bike and transit for that opportunity when I was starting out commuting.
I would definitely enjoy that skill. I know there are some things a proper mechanic can just do better and faster, but I'd like to know some more basics that I can do myself. Been doing a lot of googling and watching videos on youtube
Old 07-09-16, 10:07 AM
baron von trail 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can see the headline now. Cyclist creates conflict causing common-law companion crushing cycle and cremating cyclsit. Sorry I love alliteration; that along with cycling and bad puns will cause my wife to kill me.

She was on me this morning. "You're digging me that flower garden that I asked for back in May before you go out and work on that bike you don't need."
Old 07-10-16, 02:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
packed some stuff in the car for tomorrow & parked it at work. rode the bike home 22 miles. cool temps & cloudy w/ threats of mist. traffic light & I felt fine the whole time.tomorrow am the weather will be the same, maybe cooler. finished the set of podcasts I downloaded & have to get at least two for tomorrow cuz they are about an hr pr episode. took some supplements, now I'm gonna have 1/2 glass of red wine and take a hot shower
Old 07-10-16, 04:26 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
She was on me this morning. "You're digging me that flower garden that I asked for back in May before you go out and work on that bike you don't need."
How did it turn out?
Old 07-11-16, 04:58 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 109 Posts
A nice uneventful commute using a different route. With this route of riding I miss a small hill that I hate, but also lose a garden that I love. I am trying to find a way to add the garden back in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.