Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

mirrors are dangerous

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

mirrors are dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-09, 08:10 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
allowed me to make an informed decision.
You were alert enough to your surroundings that you 'left yourself an out', a maneuver only a savvy road user can make and a pretty beneficial one I'd say.

In the end, it cannot be argued that without a means to observe whatever traffic situations are unfolding behind you, you are abdicating a certain amount of responsibility for your own safety. Surely, anything can happen. You can get killed through no fault of your own. But why not stack the deck in your favor at every opportunity?
well put

Dig the mirror for rush hour commuting, lose it for the club rides.
I'll go with that.
Old 09-03-09, 08:19 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reread it. The driver didn't veer. He simply put two wheels just off the edge of the pavement where only seconds before I had been. Luck had nothing to do with it. Had I glanced back-like all the "I-don't-need-no-stinkin'-mirror" crowd and expected the driver to miss me, I'd likely be dead. My ability to observe both the driver behind me and the lane ahead allowed me to make an informed decision. I didn't just hope there was nothing coming. I was able to act decisively and safely because I had complete situational awareness.

For all those who say mirrors are distracting, or worse, unsafe, the same could be said about many things cyclists wear when they get started. Helmets, for example. "This damn thing on my head is driving me crazy-I'd be better off without it!" Clipless pedals - "I'm too scared I might fall over to enjoy them-I guess I'll get rid off them". And so on and so on.

In the end, it cannot be argued that without a means to observe whatever traffic situations are unfolding behind you, you are abdicating a certain amount of responsibility for your own safety. Surely, anything can happen. You can get killed through no fault of your own. But why not stack the deck in your favor at every opportunity?
Absolutely! So.... When you putting this bad boy on:

SAFETY FIRST! Stack the deck even further in your favour!
Old 09-03-09, 08:20 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And one of these!

More deck stacking, eh?
Old 09-03-09, 08:24 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And for the night, better to double stack there with some extra lights:

Old 09-03-09, 08:31 PM
turbo2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet if you get motorcycle mirrors they would work like the ones on motorcycles which are not dangerous.
Old 09-03-09, 08:33 PM
msincredible
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo2L
I bet if you get motorcycle mirrors they would work like the ones on motorcycles which are not dangerous.
Some motorcycles use bicycle mirrors, actually.
Old 09-03-09, 08:50 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tsuru

Do you ride in the dark regularly? What lights do you use? You seem to be saying you don't need good light at night? Oh wait, this is sarcasm isn't it? My, how clever.

FYI, I use a Dinotte tail light that would put that green thing to shame. And guess what? I even use the sucker in the daytime, imagine that! Wanna make fun of me?

Last edited by daredevil; 09-03-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-03-09, 08:57 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Extra light...where are the other lights?
Old 09-03-09, 09:14 PM
robncircus
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Reread it. The driver didn't veer. He simply put two wheels just off the edge of the pavement where only seconds before I had been. Luck had nothing to do with it. Had I glanced back-like all the "I-don't-need-no-stinkin'-mirror" crowd and expected the driver to miss me, I'd likely be dead. My ability to observe both the driver behind me and the lane ahead allowed me to make an informed decision. I didn't just hope there was nothing coming. I was able to act decisively and safely because I had complete situational awareness.

For all those who say mirrors are distracting, or worse, unsafe, the same could be said about many things cyclists wear when they get started. Helmets, for example. "This damn thing on my head is driving me crazy-I'd be better off without it!" Clipless pedals - "I'm too scared I might fall over to enjoy them-I guess I'll get rid off them". And so on and so on.

So what would have happened if there had been cars in the oncoming lane? Sounds like putting two wheels off the edge of the pavement could be veering. Was it more of a turn? Listen, I'm glad you were able to evade and accident but to say it was 100% the mirror is incorrect.

I am not in the mirrors are unsafe crowd. I don't think anything negative of either those that use them nor those that don't. However, as several have mentioned, it's the holier than thou mentality that irks me. Anyway, ride safe.

Rob
Old 09-03-09, 10:26 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Tsuru, you are about as subtle as a fart in a space helmet....
Old 09-03-09, 10:33 PM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
So what would have happened if there had been cars in the oncoming lane?
I would have used the information at hand to make the best judgement possible, of course. It is entirely possible that the sight of oncoming traffic might well have gotten the attention of the SUV driver, who then might have noticed, and avoided me. Who knows? My point was that had I made the assumption, as many who eschew mirrors make, that other vehicles will avoid me, then I would likely not be typing this.

Sounds like putting two wheels off the edge of the pavement could be veering.
Can we settle on "drifted"? He drifted off the road surface briefly, then corrected his course after looking up.

Ride safe yerself!
Old 09-03-09, 10:37 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have used the Take-A-Look eyeglass frame mounted mirror for years and thousands of miles.
Best mirror I've ever used; have used eyeglass mounted mirrors since the mid-70s when a dental mirror was taped to the temple of the glasses.
After 300,000 miles of cycling am still alive and well . . .
Oh, been hit by a car doing 45mph (not 50) . . . mirror did not help, but helmet did!
Old 09-04-09, 07:20 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what would have happened if there had been cars in the oncoming lane?
Then you take the next best way out of course, this ain't rocket science, it's f'n bike riding.
Old 09-04-09, 07:47 AM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok i tried to read the 8 pages,(really did), and I don't know why someone didn't talk about how mirrors help you on the sidewalks.newho..

I assume that every car out there is going to hit me. It's a grand assumption but in my neck of the woods it's what I have to do. Mind you I don't have a lot of traffic in the off months but during 'tourist season' I do. I have no shoulder to ride on and no place to just 'pull off the road.' Would a mirror help, probably not. Would it be dangerous, probably not. Mirrors are just like knowing the bomb's getting ready to drop in overhead. You know it's there but it's still gonna suck when it lands. Personally I'd rather not know.
Old 09-04-09, 08:14 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K&K_Dad
Ok i tried to read the 8 pages,(really did), and I don't know why someone didn't talk about how mirrors help you on the sidewalks.
As a matter of fact, they do. I may take my dog for a walk with the bike on a trail/sidewalk and with a mirror I always know if someone is coming from behind so I can get out of their way. I don't have to be constantly turning around.

Changing subjects, saying that what is going to happen is going to happen is just kind of silly. People, you do have at least a little control over your fate out there, it just takes some common sense and awareness.

You said that you have absolutely no escape route? What, is there a guard rail all along your ride that traps you in? That would suck man.

Also, I think we've all figured out that all riding situations are not the same, duh. Before anybody can absolutely criticize someones riding ability, they should ride a mile in their saddle probably.

Last edited by daredevil; 09-04-09 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-04-09, 08:20 AM
BikeWise1
30 YR Wrench

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mirrors are just like knowing the bomb's getting ready to drop in overhead. You know it's there but it's still gonna suck when it lands. Personally I'd rather not know.
Wow. Total abdication of awareness and self-preservation. You sound like one of the kids from the rough section of town-they expect to get shot. Might not be today, but it's coming.
Old 09-04-09, 08:42 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Mirrors are just like knowing the bomb's getting ready to drop in overhead. You know it's there but it's still gonna suck when it lands. Personally I'd rather not know.
How do you think your family would feel about that kind of outlook on the subject? You have a choice when it comes to whether or not you try to do something about an impending bad situation. Can you *always* do something about it? No, but you'd be surprised how often you can pull something spectacular out of your ass when you need to. Giving up awareness is asking for trouble.
Old 09-04-09, 10:17 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tsuru, you are about as subtle as a fart in a space helmet....
haha! Yeah, subtlety is not my forte.
Old 09-04-09, 10:56 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Okay, I just got back from my morning ride. A couple of observations regarding helmet-mounted mirror:

- There is no blind spot front and left caused by the mirror. None, nada, zip. The spot covered by the mirror is seen by your right eye instead. This has become so natural to me that it was hard to figure out what was going on at first. There is, of course, an area of monocular vision that can easily be shifted by slight head movements.

- I personally scan behind me about every 2-3 seconds.

- I can't really identify a blind spot behind me. Slight movement of the head allows me to scan everything. Unless I need to see the road surface three feet behind my back wheel.

- I literally cannot turn around far enough to see anything worthwhile regarding traffic behind me. I tried from the drops, hoods, and tops. The best I can do is shift my right hand to the center of my bar, drop my left shoulder, and twist in the seat. That still leaves a big area that I can only catch from my peripheral vision. Note: I wear glasses that have only moderate size lenses and I am certainly not known for my flexibility.

What do I do with the information? I plan. This is mostly rural riding, cars approaching at 50 mph. Car back. Hill ahead. How blind is it? Can I hear a car up? What kind of vehicle am I dealing with? How steep is the ditch? You get the idea.

Suicide on a stick - not for me. Lifesaver is more like it.
Old 09-04-09, 11:13 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
- There is no blind spot front and left caused by the mirror. None, nada, zip. The spot covered by the mirror is seen by your right eye instead. This has become so natural to me that it was hard to figure out what was going on at first. There is, of course, an area of monocular vision that can easily be shifted by slight head movements.
Nice! Thanks man! That was one of my worries with these things (besides the dork factor and suddently worrying TOO much about oncoming cars).
Old 09-04-09, 11:29 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I literally cannot turn around far enough to see anything worthwhile regarding traffic behind me. I tried from the drops, hoods, and tops. The best I can do is shift my right hand to the center of my bar, drop my left shoulder, and twist in the seat. That still leaves a big area that I can only catch from my peripheral vision. Note: I wear glasses that have only moderate size lenses and I am certainly not known for my flexibility.
like I said, people who feel this way about mirrors are usually bad at turning around.

Suicide on a stick - not for me. Lifesaver is more like it.
I don't think anyone is really claiming that they are dangerous, except of course the OP, which nobody is taking seriously.
Old 09-04-09, 11:55 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
like I said, people who feel this way about mirrors are usually bad at turning around.

I don't think anyone is really claiming that they are dangerous, except of course the OP, which nobody is taking seriously.
oh come on! that's below the belt.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 09-04-09, 12:05 PM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by umd

Actually, I called helmet mounted mirrors suicide on a stick. And I was dead serious.

The time I used one for about a week, I couldn't focus on the image in the little mirror and still keep the other 180 or so degrees of vision around me in focus.

That and the whole idea of having a rigid stalk of plastic basically pointed at my left eyeball, which I imagined could end up embedded deep in my eye socket in a crash.

Old 09-04-09, 12:13 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not picking a stupid boardie fight or anything, just genuinely curious... HOW does it help more than not seeing the car coming at all?

Do you ride differently when you see a car in the mirror? Do you move over to the right side of your 3 feet? Do you dive in the ditch if you think they aren't swerving for you??

I assume two things when I ride, 1) I'm invisible and 2) there's a car behind me at all times. I've learned to look back before I make moves into the lane and would never trust a glance in a mirror to give me the full view of what's going on behind me (meaning, you have to look back anyway). Nor do I want anything at all blocking my view to the front left, where there are oncoming cars who want to turn left and potentially hit me (a MUCH bigger concern, imo, than cars coming from behind, I can't tell you how many times some taxi or whatever is watching the cars and not me coming toward him, just waiting for the gap that he can turn, forcing me to grab a handful of breaks and almost find jesus)....
Here's how mine helps, and how I ride differently with the mirror.

If I'm on a narrow road, and see that an overtaking vehicle is not moving over enough to give me room, I move my bike LEFT in the lane as the vehicle approaches. This forces the overtaking driver to also move left. As he gets close, I move back to the right assuring maximum separation. This is particularly important with large vehicles, and pickups towing trailers.

This maneuver is simple and routine with my Take a Look helmet mounted mirror. It would be difficult if not impossible to do if I had to turn around to monitor overtaking traffic.

Exactly as with car mirrors, a proper cycling mirror enhances one's situational awareness. And when I'm out there playing in rush hour traffic in my underwear...that's a good thing.

Note: they are probably somewhat less useful in heavy urban traffic where bikes and cars are going about the same speed. And I don't wear one when I'm racing either. But for most of us who ride on rural, suburban, and in-town roads, a good mirror is useful. I ride more confidently, and more assertively, with it than without.

Last edited by SSP; 09-04-09 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 12:32 PM
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic

Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil
You said that you have absolutely no escape route? What, is there a guard rail all along your ride that traps you in? That would suck man.
I wouldn't say that I have absolutely no escape route, it's just that most, if not all of them in my area include 5' ditches. I have to stay away from main roads because there is just no place to go if I need to. That's why I stay to the side streets. At least there I could pull into a driveway if I had to. And I was just using the bomb analogy to say that unless you see someone from far away and start planning your escape it's pretty much, you're gonna see the person coming down on you before you have time to think. That was all. I wasn't trying to say that mirrors are futile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.