Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-17, 03:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Texaspandj has titled the paint scheme as "Summer Time Blues" ... Hope he hasn't copyrighted it ...
Or Crystal Blue Persuasion, for the Breaking Bad fans.....

Smoke on the Water denote the '89 Expert smoky fade...
Old 10-31-17, 03:39 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I'm gonna switch my Summertime Blues from white saddle, cables,wrap, brake levers, and cages to black. However I also wanted to use the modern 8 speed wheels. The problem is I only have 7 speed gripshift. So it was either get me 8 speed gripshift (there's two on thebay) or use the modern wheel with a 7 speed HG cassette and 4mm spacer. After much thought I've decided to go with 7 speed gripshift. So that means ordering 7 speed HG cassette and a spacer from thebay....for now. Pics to come.
Keep the rubber side down Irongents.
I may have an extra 7-sp freewheel. It may be Suntour (straight-cut teeth)....
Old 10-31-17, 10:02 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
"Crystal Blue Persuasion " .... Hummm, could be the Old Man's new name ... after he's returned to street duty.
JD
Whatever you name it, shes gonna look great!

Someday i might find a 62cm one, Until then i will admire yours and texaspandj's.

Id like to post the PROM pictures on Vintage-Centurion.com when its done...If possible
Old 11-01-17, 03:26 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
[ @jim dandy, your SBT Ironman is so deserving of a spot on Vintage -Centurion website. I hope it happens.
Crystal blue persuasion is one of the earliest songs I can remember as a kid. Weirdly my earliest memories are when I was 3 years old however my earliest song memories are from when I was 6 in 1969. For me songs and scents can take me back to a time more vividly than just about anything.
Your vivid colored pictures of your Summertime Blues Ironman has inspired me to continue my build on my SBT. Maybe it will inspire others on this forum to show theirs. Thanks.

@fleslider on the pic that I posted about the Ironman billboard, they list a WSI representative, perhaps he can give you some insight for your site. Maybe even a catalog, maybe names of other reps? Of course that was 30 years ago so who knows who's still around. But I think it's worth a shot his name is Bill Imielski. Thanks.
P.S. I just did a search Bill Imielski Centurion, and a 2009 article came up. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by texaspandj; 11-01-17 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 07:12 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Or Crystal Blue Persuasion, for the Breaking Bad fans.....

Smoke on the Water denote the '89 Expert smoky fade...
I think this has replaced the 'Miami Vice' as my next must-have. It would look awesome parked next to this:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-03-17, 03:39 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

TP ...
My childhood music memories precede yours somewhat ... I remember listening on the Western Electric am tube radio to the Bob Hope and Gene Autry radio programs.

Regards,
JD
We had Les Paul and his wife on Milwaukee AM stations, replaying shows late at night.
Old 11-04-17, 11:28 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

So you know what happens "when the gales of November come early...."
Old 11-04-17, 12:41 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Must be why most of Maine has been out of power since Monday.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-06-17, 06:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
...My childhood music memories precede yours somewhat ... I remember listening on the Western Electric am tube radio to the Bob Hope and Gene Autry radio programs...
I may not be quite as old as you but I'm old enough to have the original hit recording of your BF ID, made by Lavern Baker for Atlantic records.
Old 11-06-17, 10:41 AM
texaspandj

JD, I'm not sure how old you are but I'm feeling older than you right now.
After my last race and weeks of lay off I decided it was time to start my base build up again. Basically, it would amount to daily MUP rides pulling my 3 year old daughter in her trailer and long solo rides on the weekend. However a week into it I tweaked my knee. In my line of business and possibly my age, I'm more prone than most. But I usually wrap and stay careful and about 2 or 3 days later I can resume workouts. But I fell asleep overnight with a neoprene support wrap on my knee. The next morning it was stiff and was really tight on the back side of my knee. I'm pretty flexible and I've never had issues with tightness there. My knee was stiff all day, I was thinking it was the onset of arthritis. The next day were I would normally start feeling better it still felt tight so I decided to look at it more carefully and noticed it was swollen. I don't ever remember seeing that before. ..ever.
I wasn't using a knee support and getting better albeit still stiff when I decided to resume riding and kicking drills too soon and it set me back again.
Long story a bit less long it's getting better but it's a slower process. I'm so anxious to start riding again.
Reminds me years ago when one of my favorite nephews started working in the produce department of a grocery store. I asked how it was going there? He said good and that he liked it. Also that "old" people would stop in his dept to chat but alI they talked about was their ailments. I guess I'm that "guy" now.
I'm gonna ride today, no running, and no kicking drills anytime soon.
later Irongents.
Old 11-06-17, 04:31 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

You have a much younger wife. You deserve pain.
Old 11-07-17, 04:35 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

TP ...

I'm closing in on 74 .... ride three times a week around Dallas area with TOMIS ( The Old Men In Spandex) for 120-150 miles/week with the occasional bike rally thrown in (Hotter 'N Hell next year).

On the more important note ... five years ago, after an evening jog, I developed the Same knee symptoms you have now. Wouldn't go away ... visited the ortho doc, he sent me out for an MRI ... grade two torn inner meniscus on the left knee. My running days were over. The doc worked on the knee, got it working well enough to function under normal circumstances w/o surgery. No running, no weight room squats- extensions ok - bike as much as I want. So, that's that.

When I was younger, I'd just push thru any pain and it would eventually go away ... not any more.

So, advice from the Old Man ... you're not going to get any younger, have that knee looked at before it's too far gone.

Regards, JD
I wrestled in grade school and into college. Dan Gable told me "do NOT let them cut on your knees." I ran for a shoe company after time in the service. Dwight Stones told me "when your knees start to hurt, think about another hobby." I talked to Andy Hampstead at NAHBS and he said "ride all you want, it's really hard to hurt yourself at almost any level that doesn't pay money."

Now, I walk a lot and ride when I can.
Old 11-07-17, 05:10 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

On the more important note ... five years ago, after an evening jog, I developed the Same knee symptoms you have now. Wouldn't go away ... visited the ortho doc, he sent me out for an MRI ... grade two torn inner meniscus on the left knee. My running days were over. The doc worked on the knee, got it working well enough to function under normal circumstances w/o surgery. No running, no weight room squats- extensions ok - bike as much as I want. So, that's that.
Time to try Biopace. Works for me.

Old 11-07-17, 10:46 PM
texaspandj

Now,
I ride more than I walk ...
Was cold and windy today, so this afternoon I spent some time in the Last Chance Garage putting the IM back together. It will now roll, steer, and stop. Saving the worst for last ... new derailleur cables and adjustments. Wb going thru a lot of OJT on this part ...
JD
Wish I knew how to spell the whistle sound. Man that's Super. A So very Cool Ironman.

Well your OJT is my "school of hard knocks" or learn by bad experience. BITD it was books and experience but just like anything and everything else now you can just YouTube it.
Old 11-07-17, 11:58 PM
zs3889

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I've always only had one bottle cage on my Miami Vice, since building it up a year ago. Does anyone here have a matching pink bottle cage sitting around? I'd happily take it off your hand, if you're willing to sell it.

I replaced my really old 700x23 Conti with some 700x25 Conti Grand Prix 4 season. Got them for a really good deal - minimal wear, $30 for the pair. Really loving the ride comfort of the 25's, especially at higher speeds. Does anyone here run 28's on their IM's? Was wondering about the clearance issue. The picture below is the clearance with 25's.

Last edited by zs3889; 11-08-17 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 12:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wrestled in grade school and into college. Dan Gable told me "do NOT let them cut on your knees." I ran for a shoe company after time in the service. Dwight Stones told me "when your knees start to hurt, think about another hobby." I talked to Andy Hampstead at NAHBS and he said "ride all you want, it's really hard to hurt yourself at almost any level that doesn't pay money."

Now, I walk a lot and ride when I can.
A bit of a digression, but...

Knee surgery was risky decades ago but things have changed. My mom had knee surgery in the late 1960s when she was in her late 20s. She wouldn't do the physical therapy, so it never healed properly and remained swollen and stiff, and has limited her mobility and balance since.

When she had knee replacement surgery 10 years ago when she was in her late 60s I stayed with her to be sure she cooperated with the physical therapy. She complained and cussed but it worked and the knee is fine 10 years later. Ditto her shoulder replacement surgery a few years ago. She still won't exercise, not even regular zero-impact range of motion, but the knee and shoulder are fine, according to diagnostic followups.

My granddad was even worse. After his knee replacement surgery in the late 1980s he refused to do any physical therapy, and ran off every visiting PT and nurse with belligerent tirades. His knee never healed properly and kept popping out of joint. I had to pick him up a few times and it was a real chore. He was a big guy, well over 6' and 200 lbs.

A friend who's now 75 has had knee and hip replacements during the past two or three years. She recovered fine and was discharged sooner than expected from in-house physical rehab because she was active and in good shape before surgery and continued to be active afterward.

Anyway, I'm hoping to avoid needing joint replacements but the family history on both sides shows it may eventually be necessary. The key is to be in reasonably good shape going in and to do the physical therapy.

We could all use a good soigneur.
Old 11-08-17, 08:28 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by zs3889
I've always only had one bottle cage on my Miami Vice, since building it up a year ago. Does anyone here have a matching pink bottle cage sitting around? I'd happily take it off your hand, if you're willing to sell it.

I replaced my really old 700x23 Conti with some 700x25 Conti Grand Prix 4 season. Got them for a really good deal - minimal wear, $30 for the pair. Really loving the ride comfort of the 25's, especially at higher speeds. Does anyone here run 28's on their IM's? Was wondering about the clearance issue. The picture below is the clearance with 25's.

I'm running 25 on mine , but sure looks like 28 would fit, although I think it has more to do with tire brand.
Your Miami Vice is looking good with the wrap and saddle.
Old 11-08-17, 10:07 AM
texaspandj

Ok Irongents it's time to put the old age question to rest: What touch up paint or nail polish to use on the Miami Vice? I know @rccardr is pretty good at mixing and matching testors paint and @jim dandy would be a good source (due in part to his meticulous nature) if only he had a MV. @RobbieTunes has had a formula but seemed to have misplaced it over the years. And another member has posted a successful mixture somewhere, hopefully he'll report in, I think he was building an MV for his daughter as I recall. @fleslider could put it on his website and RT could finally put it in the Ironman information thread. And like @seypat , My intention is to finally take my frame in to a couple of dept stores to get a match. I'm Not gonna go the testors route instead I'm determined to find the Nail Polish that matches. My resident "lipstick expert"(wife) has told me I should be able to find a match.
Old 11-08-17, 10:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Taking the frame into a store is the best thing to do. I went to a Michaels Art Store.There will be lots of brands/color ranges. I went back and found my bottles. One is Fuchsia and the other is Lemon Custard. Use some vinegar to clean any bare spots then apply a rust stopping primer from an auto parts store with a Q-tip.

If you are wanting to match those dark red metallic early Ironmans, that is a very popular automobile color at the moment. Best place for a match would be an auto parts store. I have 2 bikes that color. Both are cousins of the IMs. One is a Lotus and the other is an SR.

Ok Irongents it's time to put the old age question to rest: What touch up paint or nail polish to use on the Miami Vice? I know @rccardr is pretty good at mixing and matching testors paint and @jim dandy would be a good source (due in part to his meticulous nature) if only he had a MV. @RobbieTunes has had a formula but seemed to have misplaced it over the years. And another member has posted a successful mixture somewhere, hopefully he'll report in, I think he was building an MV for his daughter as I recall. @fleslider could put it on his website and RT could finally put it in the Ironman information thread. And like @seypat , My intention is to finally take my frame in to a couple of dept stores to get a match. I'm Not gonna go the testors route instead I'm determined to find the Nail Polish that matches. My resident "lipstick expert"(wife) has told me I should be able to find a match.

Last edited by seypat; 11-08-17 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-08-17, 10:35 AM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
I'll be watching for replies. the area around my seat bolt needs a lot of touch up.
Old 11-08-17, 05:45 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Testor's yellow, one drop of red in the bottle, then test. I think it's 3 drops total, in the little bottle, but I know I matched the gold.

On the Fuscia, I think it was Michaels, and I found a very similar color, and I think I actually used a drop of white to make it lighter.

If you are super serious, an auto paint store can use their camera, and will spit out a color and they can mix it up for you. I see no problem with that, or the price, if you keep the bike for ever and ever.

As for the that original dark red on the Comp TA, the Turbo, and the Ironman earlies... there is a Toyota red that is dead on, and it's available at most Walmart and AutoZone stores. I just don't remember. I'm old. I'm infirm. Get off my lawn.
Old 11-08-17, 09:09 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
An "Ironman" true to his word!!!!!!
I am currently mixing red and blue to get a match....
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 11-09-17, 12:17 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I just want to follow Pat around department stores while he's carrying the frame around. I see YouTube in the future of that.
Old 11-09-17, 01:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The worst part is in a Michaels there is a whole isle dedicated to paints with hundreds of colors! It takes a lot of time. You narrow it down to about 2 or 3 choices, but you keep going back and forth/flip flopping. Meanwhile, people are coming and going and you are having to give everyone the fake nod and grin because they are looking at you. Don't forget the flashlight either so you will have good light.

You finally make your choice because you are mentally spent. As you pay/head out to get in your car, you are still second guessing your decision. It's a horrible process.

I just want to follow Pat around department stores while he's carrying the frame around. I see YouTube in the future of that.
Old 11-09-17, 01:48 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
You finally make your choice because you are mentally spent. As you pay/head out to get in your car, you are still second guessing your decision. It's a horrible process.
You also want to do all of this at night. This way you will make it home before you have the bike and paint in the sunlight and a whole new round of "is this the correct color?" starts anew.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.