Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Show Off Your Townies

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Show Off Your Townies

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 05:03 PM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 01-11-12, 10:22 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Old 01-12-12, 10:53 PM
PlattsVegas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here It is, my one and only bike at the moment. Even though I have no fenders, I think it qualifies. The rack holds my weight and possibly more.

EDIT: I weigh 130lbs. the ratio is 46/15 but I usually ride on flat city streets.

by the way, if you have access to aguardiente , give it a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010678.jpg (101.8 KB, 160 views)
Old 01-13-12, 12:18 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
qualifies!

wald bugle bungee schwinn bars...
Old 01-13-12, 12:27 AM
PlattsVegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love that ride cc. That horn is Gnarly
Old 01-13-12, 07:32 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
I don't think you quite get the point of this thread.
Old 01-13-12, 09:10 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Educate me. It looks a lot like the second and third bikes in this thread. I ride it around town. Usually Saturday and Sunday morning.

If I put on a Brooks, is it magically a townie?
Old 01-13-12, 09:28 AM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
well lets be fair, a lot of people don't get the point of this thread. it's really turned into a very loose definition here. that said, just because it's ridden leisurely around town does not a "townie" make. a townie is DESIGNED to be leisurely, not just ridden that way.

this is the SSFG forum, so your bike should generally be one of those things, i.e. not have multiple gears. if it does, awesome, but it belongs in another forum.

to me, the main requirement for a townie is swept back bars. beyond that there should be a significant splattering of the following things (though not all are required). leather saddle, sprung saddle, leather grips, bell, cup holders aplenty (bonus points for if on the bars), relaxed geometry, upright riding position, fenders, chain guard, gumwall tires, baskets (esp up front), no foot retention.

basically don't stray too far from this
Old 01-13-12, 11:10 AM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Stripper in RAW, Schwinn Madison 2008 Blue, Leader 725tr, Brassknuckle, Leader 722, Traitor Ruben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing mine hits on would be leather saddle, fenders, and no foot retention...

But I do have both front and rear racks, a bell, bigger tires, dual brakes... and of course bags aplenty.

Are you calling my version of the "townie" not a townie, and if so...what would you call it?
Old 01-13-12, 11:11 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
well lets be fair, a lot of people don't get the point of this thread. it's really turned into a very loose definition here. that said, just because it's ridden leisurely around town does not a "townie" make. a townie is DESIGNED to be leisurely, not just ridden that way.

this is the SSFG forum, so your bike should generally be one of those things, i.e. not have multiple gears. if it does, awesome, but it belongs in another forum.

to me, the main requirement for a townie is swept back bars. beyond that there should be a significant splattering of the following things (though not all are required). leather saddle, sprung saddle, leather grips, bell, cup holders aplenty (bonus points for if on the bars), relaxed geometry, upright riding position, fenders, chain guard, gumwall tires, baskets (esp up front), no foot retention.

Errrrmmmm no offense, but your example is about as far down the townie spectrum as the things you're complaining about. It just looks like a modern factory line version to imitate the style.. and yes I'm aware I'm one the "bar" offenders.. but that's about my only offense, till someone trades me noodlebars or something that fits my stem clamp?
Old 01-13-12, 11:14 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
The only thing mine hits on would be leather saddle, fenders, and no foot retention...

But I do have both front and rear racks, a bell, bigger tires, dual brakes... and of course bags aplenty.

Are you calling my version of the "townie" not a townie, and if so...what would you call it?
The only issue I see with yours is it's posted in this forum.. however should this forum really have a show off your townies thread? Most townies are 3 speeds. (I am not advocating pulling this thread, I dig it. Just proving a point)
Old 01-13-12, 11:23 AM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lilcphoto

i was more addressing EnzoRWD's comment of "educate me" than calling out anyone's bike.

these are all somewhat subjective assessments... but i would call yours a tourer over a townie. it's definitely capable of putting in some serious miles and overnight trips.
Old 01-13-12, 11:33 AM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Errrrmmmm no offense, but your example is about as far down the townie spectrum as the things you're complaining about. It just looks like a modern factory line version to imitate the style.. and yes I'm aware I'm one the "bar" offenders.. but that's about my only offense, till someone trades me noodlebars or something that fits my stem clamp?
yes, the picture i posted is a factory line townie, made by specialized. i really don't understand how that makes a difference at all. "imitate the style?" what does that mean? a "townie" has never been defined as a home-made bike. nowhere has it ever been said that a "townie" or any other bike, save for a "frankenbike" cannot be a mass-produced item. a townie is a townie, regardless of whether it was made by a global corporation or a 16 year old kid in his dad's garage. there are companies that solely build townies.
Old 01-13-12, 11:39 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

yes, the picture i posted is a factory line townie, made by specialized. i really don't understand how that makes a difference at all. "imitate the style?" what does that mean? a "townie" has never been defined as a home-made bike. nowhere has it ever been said that a "townie" or any other bike, save for a "frankenbike" cannot be a mass-produced item. a townie is a townie, regardless of whether it was made by a global corporation or a 16 year old kid in his dad's garage. there are companies that solely build townies.
It lacks a soul, I never said they had to be home made either. But if we're qualifying by riding position bars/accessories.. why can't we take into account frame building method? (Those welds are ugly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) That crankset also bugs me.. I'm not trying to harp on you btw, just point out how subjective it really is in the eye of the beholder just like with the almost identical argument I got in the "Where's the cruiser forum thread" about the same type of rigid applications of the name.
Old 01-13-12, 01:13 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dude cmon. lacking a soul is not that bad. my fuji track pro lacks a soul but it's still pretty awesome.

and having a ss townie is just dumb around seattle, sf, or ... well maybe just those two places.
Old 01-13-12, 01:18 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
that's not really how bikes are classified. "soul" maybe be a measure of worth or appeal or quality, but is not a means of classification. the same holds true of build quality or method. just because it may be a *****ty townie doesn't mean it's not a townie. a $600 entry level road bike is still a "road bike" as much as a $25k custom carbon build is. it may not be as good, but whether it is a road bike or not depends on the frame, bars, wheels/tires, brakes, i.e the components, not the quality or aesthetic. a loaf of bread is still bread, whether it's walmart brand or artisan crafted at the local bakery.
Old 01-13-12, 01:37 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I define the "Townie" as a bike mostly built with spare parts that fills the following needs: Generally upright position, fun to ride and is not worth anything to a thief but worth a lot to you. Possible additions are the ability to carry stuff (mostly beer and/or groceries).
Old 01-13-12, 01:43 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ i dig that.

"townie" isn't a category like road bike is a category.

townie is a category like 'fixie' is a category, or 'dirt jumper' is a category. it's a defining characteristic, a bike built for town... that fills those general needs.

there's no magic number of 'how upright' or 'how many gears' or the like, it's just gotta fulfill that purpose as its defining characteristic.

and 'having a soul' does not enter into it. the globe live is a townie. my nishiki century is a townie. it's how you fit it and what it has.
Old 01-13-12, 05:01 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
waiting on my bb and calipers still. then the search a rack I can work with will begin
Old 01-13-12, 05:21 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Originally Posted by Cynikal
I define the "Townie" as a bike mostly built with spare parts that fills the following needs: Generally upright position, fun to ride and is not worth anything to a thief but worth a lot to you. Possible additions are the ability to carry stuff (mostly beer and/or groceries).
Originally Posted by cc700
^ i dig that.

"townie" isn't a category like road bike is a category.

townie is a category like 'fixie' is a category, or 'dirt jumper' is a category. it's a defining characteristic, a bike built for town... that fills those general needs.

there's no magic number of 'how upright' or 'how many gears' or the like, it's just gotta fulfill that purpose as its defining characteristic.

and 'having a soul' does not enter into it. the globe live is a townie. my nishiki century is a townie. it's how you fit it and what it has.
Soul was an improper term, but I can't help but notice you guys tend to agree with my point of view here...or at least in my mind you do. I guess what I should have said, is how can you call that modern production bike a townie and declare the others not! Meh eye of the beholder and what not I suppose.
Old 01-13-12, 05:38 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
less talky more bikey
(myself included)
Old 01-13-12, 06:25 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
no shot of getting these into this, is there?
Old 01-13-12, 07:25 PM
Lilcphoto
My name is Alex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my quick release fenders don't go through the fork... if those are the same, you should have NO problem!
Old 01-13-12, 08:50 PM
mihlbach

Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Amen

Old 01-13-12, 08:54 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
which do you have? most all QR seem to be black? I think these go through the fork

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.