Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ironman Information Thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ironman Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 02:00 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
There is this guy . I wonder whats up with him ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Jagwire...r=550262993115
Also this guy .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jagwire-Pro...r=541808933508
For me right now , I want sliver for my Comp TA build . Silver bar tape for that matter too . I want it to look stock I also want it to work well (no rubber bands) . What would you guys suggest ?
Old 10-25-18, 06:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Also this guy .
For me right now , I want sliver for my Comp TA build . Silver bar tape for that matter too . I want it to look stock I also want it to work well (no rubber bands) . What would you guys suggest ?
The first guy buys in bulk, re-cuts, and re-packages.

The second guy is fairly priced, but bear in mind, that's a kit for shifter cables only. At one time, you could get the entire Road Pro or Race kit for that price, but no more. Also, read the label on those boxes. Some say galvanized for the cables.

I like silver on the Comp TA, or very light grey. Too light, it will clash. Too dark, it clashes with the lettering and head tube.
Old 10-25-18, 08:24 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
I've got some of the braided silver Jagwire stuff, bought a roll of it.
You can have a bike's worth for the cost of postage.
Original translucent style housing you can buy from PorkchopBMX, but the cables suck.
Two stainless Shimano shift and two stainless Shimano brake cables will run you another $20, but they'll last you a couple of decades.

Last edited by rccardr; 10-25-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 04:57 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

The housing is Jagwire. The bar tape is Fizik. Both are very close to chrome. Both are shiny. I like shiny.

Also this guy .

Last edited by seypat; 10-26-18 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 06:12 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
love red

Originally Posted by seypat

The housing is Jagwire. The bar tape is Fizik. Both are very close to chrome. Both are shiny. I like shiny.
Nice
Old 10-26-18, 07:28 PM
seypat

Nice
I'll check back and see which Jagwire and where I got it from.
Old 10-28-18, 12:49 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
the specs image for the 89 Expert is from a magazine review... wish i had the whole article
I'll send you that short (I think its a 60mm but would have to check) stem if you need it. Its angled up.
This was supposed to go with the posts about switching stems & bars. Not sure what happened

Last edited by TXsailor; 10-28-18 at 10:01 AM. Reason: wrong post quoted
Old 10-28-18, 04:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Has anyone noticed a difference in smoothness and quietness between KMC chains with 7.1mm vs 7.3mm pin width, on a stock or comparable Ironman?

I used KMC Z33 and Z50 chains (7.3mm pin width) on my hybrids for a couple of years, no problem. Wet cleaning and lubing, replaced 'em about once a year.

When I got the Ironman, summer 2017, I decided to try waxing the chain. Figured it'd be cleaner, etc. And it's been fine. But The Z33 and Z50 chains didn't include the Missing Link version 1, which is 7.3mm wide. I bought some Missing Link II sets but those are 7.1mm, too narrow and caused the Z33 and Z50 chains to bind.

So I bought a pair of Z72 chains, which included the Missing Link II, and my extras might still be useful. I rotated those chains in wax (hot Gulf wax in a Little Dipper crock pot) and swapped chains on the Ironman about once a month or every 400-500 miles. No problems.

But the Ironman drivetrain always seemed a bit noisy compared with my hybrids, both of which were also 7-speed (freewheel on one, interchangeable with the Ironman; cassette on the other). Both the hybrids ran the 7.3mm KMC chains.

When I swapped from the original Suntour 13-24 to a chromed SunRace 13-25 freewheel I hoped it would run a bit quiet, but nope. I thought maybe the Z72 chain had worn out, although it shouldn't have -- each Z72 gets about half the wear of a single chain because I rotate them through the wax, and wax picks up very little grit so there's less wear. It just seemed noisy, especially after comparing rides on the hybrids recently. And during group rides friends have commented on the Ironman's drivetrain noise -- it's not rattly or squeaky, but it's only quiet within a very narrow sweet spot, usually the small chain ring and middle cogs.

Digging through my box o' junk I found an old but unused KMC Z33 or Z50, not sure which since they appear nearly identical to me and measure the same pin width with the calipers. I think the Z50 may be labeled "Narrow" on the plates. Not sure but those may be very slightly narrower in height, comparable to the Shimano chains intended for use with their finicky MegaRange freewheels -- other chains tend to climb over the teeth and skip, even when the chain and freewheel is new. I'll need to get the calipers out again and compare the link plate heights.

I think I'd bought that unused Z33 or Z50 for the comfort hybrid, which now is mostly an errand bike that gets ridden only about 20 miles a month, so it hasn't needed a new chain in two years. If memory serves, I bought a pair of Z33 or Z50 chains because I needed to cut a few links from one to splice to the other -- my comfort hybrid/errand bike has an unusually long wheelbase and needed about 6 more links than usual. I cannibalized those links from one chain and put the rest into a ziplock baggy.

So, I put that chain on the Ironman. No quick link, just reinserted the pin --carefully. Yup, I know, not the best practice. I was very careful to center the pin, check for adequate extension on both sides, just loosened enough to pivot without binding or looseness, etc. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, the drive train finally runs as quietly and smoothly as I'd expected since first getting the Ironman. Shifts fine, no chain drops (the original Suntour chain that came with the Ironman was horrible about chain drops, up and down the chain ring; the narrower 7.1mm pin KMC chains were better but still occasionally dropped on upshifts to the big ring). I wondered whether these 7-speeds run better with slightly more width between plates.

Anyway, just to be sure I'm gonna order a brand new KMC Z33, Z50 or equivalent with the correct Missing Link and stick with that for awhile.

And I might have been mistaken in putting the Z72 on the Ironman in the first place. It's labeled on the box that it's suitable for 7-speed, but on KMC's website it's listed only for 8-speed. So when I recently swapped wheels on the Univega from a 7-speed to an 8-speed hub I put a Z72 on it and it seems to shift and run smoothly and quietly.
Old 10-28-18, 06:02 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
About a year or so ago I noticed that new higher end KMC 6-7-8 speed chains ran noisier than they used to.
Perhaps something changed in the way they are made.
Started using SRAM PC850 and 870 chains then, and they are much quieter. And they come with a quick link.
Old 10-28-18, 08:54 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Nice
+1 I think it's his nicest setup, and it balances out very nicely.
Old 10-28-18, 09:00 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Has anyone noticed a difference in smoothness and quietness between KMC chains with 7.1mm vs 7.3mm pin width, on a stock or comparable Ironman?

I used KMC Z33 and Z50 chains (7.3mm pin width) on my hybrids for a couple of years, no problem. Wet cleaning and lubing, replaced 'em about once a year.

When I got the Ironman, summer 2017, I decided to try waxing the chain. Figured it'd be cleaner, etc. And it's been fine. But The Z33 and Z50 chains didn't include the Missing Link version 1, which is 7.3mm wide. I bought some Missing Link II sets but those are 7.1mm, too narrow and caused the Z33 and Z50 chains to bind.

So I bought a pair of Z72 chains, which included the Missing Link II, and my extras might still be useful. I rotated those chains in wax (hot Gulf wax in a Little Dipper crock pot) and swapped chains on the Ironman about once a month or every 400-500 miles. No problems.

But the Ironman drivetrain always seemed a bit noisy compared with my hybrids, both of which were also 7-speed (freewheel on one, interchangeable with the Ironman; cassette on the other). Both the hybrids ran the 7.3mm KMC chains.

When I swapped from the original Suntour 13-24 to a chromed SunRace 13-25 freewheel I hoped it would run a bit quiet, but nope. I thought maybe the Z72 chain had worn out, although it shouldn't have -- each Z72 gets about half the wear of a single chain because I rotate them through the wax, and wax picks up very little grit so there's less wear. It just seemed noisy, especially after comparing rides on the hybrids recently. And during group rides friends have commented on the Ironman's drivetrain noise -- it's not rattly or squeaky, but it's only quiet within a very narrow sweet spot, usually the small chain ring and middle cogs.

Digging through my box o' junk I found an old but unused KMC Z33 or Z50, not sure which since they appear nearly identical to me and measure the same pin width with the calipers. I think the Z50 may be labeled "Narrow" on the plates. Not sure but those may be very slightly narrower in height, comparable to the Shimano chains intended for use with their finicky MegaRange freewheels -- other chains tend to climb over the teeth and skip, even when the chain and freewheel is new. I'll need to get the calipers out again and compare the link plate heights.

I think I'd bought that unused Z33 or Z50 for the comfort hybrid, which now is mostly an errand bike that gets ridden only about 20 miles a month, so it hasn't needed a new chain in two years. If memory serves, I bought a pair of Z33 or Z50 chains because I needed to cut a few links from one to splice to the other -- my comfort hybrid/errand bike has an unusually long wheelbase and needed about 6 more links than usual. I cannibalized those links from one chain and put the rest into a ziplock baggy.

So, I put that chain on the Ironman. No quick link, just reinserted the pin --carefully. Yup, I know, not the best practice. I was very careful to center the pin, check for adequate extension on both sides, just loosened enough to pivot without binding or looseness, etc. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, the drive train finally runs as quietly and smoothly as I'd expected since first getting the Ironman. Shifts fine, no chain drops (the original Suntour chain that came with the Ironman was horrible about chain drops, up and down the chain ring; the narrower 7.1mm pin KMC chains were better but still occasionally dropped on upshifts to the big ring). I wondered whether these 7-speeds run better with slightly more width between plates.

Anyway, just to be sure I'm gonna order a brand new KMC Z33, Z50 or equivalent with the correct Missing Link and stick with that for awhile.

And I might have been mistaken in putting the Z72 on the Ironman in the first place. It's labeled on the box that it's suitable for 7-speed, but on KMC's website it's listed only for 8-speed. So when I recently swapped wheels on the Univega from a 7-speed to an 8-speed hub I put a Z72 on it and it seems to shift and run smoothly and quietly.
I read it twice, then 3 times. It appears you switched to a quieter chain that works better. I got confused.

A review of my chains indicates mostly SRAM, DA with a Connex-Wipperman master link, and a Connex-Wipperman. I just mounted a Sachs drivetrain on a bike, and it came with a Sachs/Huret chain. We'll see on that one.
Old 10-28-18, 09:16 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I am running a Sram 850 chain on mine with the original chain rings and a Sunrace freewheel. It shifts fine and is quiet in all but the lower gears. I don't know if the extra noise is from the chain line or the fact that the Suntour shifters aren't exactly in sync with the Sunrace freewheel. I have a pair of Shimano Exage shifters I may try one of these days and see if they change anything.
Old 10-28-18, 10:45 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
+1 I think it's his nicest setup, and it balances out very nicely.
It needs some silver rims. The current wheels are in such good shape there is no reason to change. This bike currently has silver fenders and they make it look even better. I need to snap and post a pic. Most people think it looks better without the decals. As for looks, the Lotus is right there with it. I really like the mixture of green/chrome/black. The gold accents work as well.
Old 10-28-18, 10:48 AM
seypat

In reference to chains, the SRAM PCs are hard to beat.
Old 10-28-18, 01:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Think we should move these from Ironman Information Thread (a resource on the info available) to the Ironman...80's paint job thread?
Old 10-28-18, 01:52 PM
seypat

Think we should move these from Ironman Information Thread (a resource on the info available) to the Ironman...80's paint job thread?
I agree. I don't have the power, though.
Old 10-28-18, 02:01 PM
seypat

I do have a question I have been thinking about.

I know that other brands would use a combination of a company's tubing when making larger frames for stiffness purposes such as Columbus SL/SP. Did Centurion ever make the IM larger sizes with a combo of Tange 1 and 2?

Last edited by seypat; 10-28-18 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 04:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by rccardr
About a year or so ago I noticed that new higher end KMC 6-7-8 speed chains ran noisier than they used to.
Perhaps something changed in the way they are made.
Started using SRAM PC850 and 870 chains then, and they are much quieter. And they come with a quick link.
Dunno, but KMC has revised its lineup and website.

In my case I got mixed messages on whether the KMC Z72 was suitable for 7-speed. Apparently KMC has revised its website to clarify and recommends it for 8-speed. The box was ambiguous. The very slightly narrower Z72 runs fine on my Univega hybrid that I've recently converted from 7 to 8 speed.

I read it twice, then 3 times. It appears you switched to a quieter chain that works better. I got confused.

A review of my chains indicates mostly SRAM, DA with a Connex-Wipperman master link, and a Connex-Wipperman. I just mounted a Sachs drivetrain on a bike, and it came with a Sachs/Huret chain. We'll see on that one.
Yeah, I should have waited until after morning coffee to edit that 10,000 word post. In the wee hours I tend to ramble.

Short version: KMC chains are good but ambiguous about which were intended to be Shimano HG vs IG compatible; and the boxes contradicted the website info. KMC has revised its website since last year or so and it's clearer now.

Originally Posted by TXsailor
I am running a Sram 850 chain on mine with the original chain rings and a Sunrace freewheel. It shifts fine and is quiet in all but the lower gears. I don't know if the extra noise is from the chain line or the fact that the Suntour shifters aren't exactly in sync with the Sunrace freewheel. I have a pair of Shimano Exage shifters I may try one of these days and see if they change anything.
I think I put a SRAM 850 on my Amazon list last night. I'll try one.

In reference to chains, the SRAM PCs are hard to beat.
Thanks, I'm seeing more votes for SRAM chains.

I debated that with myself, but I figured here was best because it started with the original Suntour chain that came with my Ironman. It had very little wear but was a horrible chain, worst excuse I've ever seen for a bike chain. It's like something a punk fashion designer made as a collar and leash for his dog and decided to market it for bicycles. Utter garbage. I checked it again last night and used a chain tool to disassemble a link. The machining is terrible, the plates are crudely formed, there's a lot of slop despite the relative lack of wear. Just a mess. I'll bet back in the day the Expert series with Suntour components got a bad reputation merely because of the chain. The other Suntour components were great but it doesn't take much to give people a bad taste over a brand.

So I'm cleaning, waxing and saving the original Suntour chain to give to a punk fashion designer to use as a collar and leash for his dog.
Old 10-28-18, 05:28 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I do have a question I have been thinking about.

I know that other brands would use a combination of a company's tubing when making larger frames for stiffness purposes such as Columbus SL/SP. Did Centurion ever make the larger sizes with a combo of Tange 1 and 2?
I thought all the Ironman Experts were Tange 2? Just kidding...but uh seriously.
Old 10-28-18, 05:33 PM
texaspandj

@canklecat personally I think half of your bike problems would vanish if you just converted to all Shimano. In a couple of weeks or so I may be getting another group and that means you may be getting another group too (Shimano).
Old 10-28-18, 05:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by texaspandj
@canklecat personally I think half of your bike problems would vanish if you just converted to all Shimano. In a couple of weeks or so I may be getting another group and that means you may be getting another group too (Shimano).
You might be right. I was going to modify that Suntour GPX RD recently to add the missing spring tension adjustment hole, but my old cordless drill batteries were both dead. Who knew they didn't last 20 years?

Anyway, next step, I gotta clean up the old style Shimano 600 FD that came with the 600 RD I've been using on the Ironman this year. The Shimano 600 RD solved that chain tension problem I griped about months ago. The matching FD might solve the ghost shifting creep in the GPX FD, which also seems to have excessive spring tension.

But right now I'm going for a spin on the Ironman while the weather is warm. Had a sinus headache all day and moped around the house. But I'll bet I'll feel better if I get rolling. I want to test that new KMC Z33 chain to see if it solved the problems I was whining about with the Z72. It's good on the trainer but it takes a road ride to shake out the bugs.
Old 10-28-18, 05:46 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
I thought all the Ironman Experts were Tange 2? Just kidding...but uh seriously.
The reason I ask is reading other threads some big rider is always talking about this frame or that frame being noodly.(Big meaning tall) At 200lbs, I am as heavy if not heavier than a lot of riders. Being short, I am lucky that I ride 54/56 frames. I have never been on a frame that felt noodly. If I ride a 50/52 frame, they feel stiffer than the 54/56s. Just wondering if the large IM frames were beefed up any.

Last edited by seypat; 10-28-18 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 06:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The reason I ask is be reading other threads some big rider is always talking about this frame or that frame being noodly.(Big meaning tall) At 200lbs, I am as heavy if not heavier than a lot of riders. Being short, I am lucky that I ride 54/56 frames. I have never been on a frame that felt noodly. If I ride a 50/52 frame, they feel stiffer than the 54/56s. Just wondering if the large IM frames were beefed up any.
I would say no.
Old 10-28-18, 06:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I realize I'm out of my league here, but I read somewhere that the bigger frames were Tange 2. I also read that the larger Trek frames were SP, but there seems to be no clear sentiment in either case. My 60 cm Trek 930 felt noodly, briefly, until I got things straightened out. Now, it rides (almost) as nice as my incoming IM Expert.

Old 10-28-18, 07:07 PM
texaspandj

I would say no.
Agreed, as it is stated Tange 1 in catalogs, magazine reviews etc. However at this point not much would surprise me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.