Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is steel out of favour?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is steel out of favour?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Pure nonsense.
Cut off its food supply.
Old 09-29-20, 07:32 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
13 years from now carbon bikes being sold today won’t be rideable because so many parts are non-standard and the main areas of stress are quite questionable IMO. But great wall art.
I love my steel for sure but....

This 32 year old C.F. bike is still on the road and going strong.

Old 09-29-20, 07:52 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
Not sure I would agree. The Columbus XCR tube set is fairly new. It is the only seamless, stainless steel tube set available and it is lighter and stronger than any metal tub set. Walls can be a thin as .4 mm. The Cicli Barco reviewd in the link is 17.7 lbs with Barco’s in house stainless fork. A carbon fork would probably bring it to flat 17. That bike is spec’d to the gills and came in at 12k. A new Trek Domane weighs 20lbs.
Is it really an improvement though? This is mid 90's steel. As built in the picture it's 17 lbs, 14 ozs. That's with an old school quill stem, alloy handlebars, pedals, bottle cages, etc. This too would be a cinch to get under 17 lbs with a few carbon bits. Excell Podium steel tubing that date back several years before this one was even built.

Old 09-30-20, 06:09 AM
GreatDane84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Still riding my custom steel Land Shark. A beautiful smooth ride.
Old 09-30-20, 03:46 PM
RidesaCarlton

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Some things do become unobtainium.

Originally Posted by Wileyone
Lots of Companies still make Italian BB also freewheels. Most high end bikes still use a 27.2 seat post size.

Not sure where you are getting your info from...
One of my favorite bikes has a Swiss bottom bracket. You ain't going to find a replacement for that on E-Bay.
The seat post is 26.8. Those can be found.
The headset is Swiss as well, but I think a French will fit.
Oh yea, it is a Estermann. I think it was build in 1963. It was a state of the art sprint bike.
Old 09-30-20, 07:59 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Spoke to a custom builder in Queens NY today. Only works in steel, at least a one year wait, so I guess steel is in favor with some. He stressed at least one year.
Old 10-01-20, 02:06 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Spoke to a custom builder in Queens NY today. Only works in steel, at least a one year wait, so I guess steel is in favor with some. He stressed at least one year.
Custom builders often only work in steel, partly because it's the easiest to work with without mass-production facilities. But if it didn't also make a great bike they wouldn't get away with it.
Old 10-01-20, 10:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
And McDonald's makes the most hamburgers in the world ...
And both would be true.
Old 10-01-20, 10:15 AM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Many of the well known custom steel frame makers in the US have long wait times, some even in years and a few are not even taking new orders. That is one of the reasons I chose Cicli Barco. Their turn around time was about 4 months. And, they do beautiful work at a far cheaper price than US builders.
Old 10-01-20, 10:19 AM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Johnk3
Many of the well known custom steel frame makers in the US have long wait times, some even in years and a few are not even taking new orders. That is one of the reasons I chose Cicli Barco. Their turn around time was about 4 months. And, they do beautiful work at a far cheaper price than US builders.
I am speaking to Gianluca tomorrow. Did you go with their beautiful fork or carbon?
Old 10-01-20, 10:24 AM
Johnk3

I am speaking to Gianluca tomorrow. Did you go with their beautiful fork or carbon?
I went with the Viva fork with the carbon steering tube. It saves a lot of weight over the steel tube version. I also went with direct mount brakes which are a big improvement over regular rim brakes and far better looking than disc brakes( UGLY) far easier to maintain, and cheaper.
Old 10-01-20, 10:28 AM
Mulberry20

can you post a picture of the whole bike? I am looking at 3/4 paint job with the Cangiante paint.
Old 10-01-20, 10:38 AM
Johnk3

can you post a picture of the whole bike? I am looking at 3/4 paint job with the Cangiante paint.
Look at their Facebook page and Instagram pages for photos of all the XCr frames they have made. There are lots of options to consider. Barco can put together the whole bike for you as well. They gave me a very good price on Campy group set. I had them get WR Composoti CF parts ( made to order in Italy and available in matching paint if you want. WR makes CF parts for Ferrari and Lamborghini) WR makes wheels and bike frames and saddles as well as handlebars, stems and seatposts. Their prices are quite reasonable.

By the way, Campy has a new 13 speed groupset with single chainring for gravel bikes it is called "Ekar."

Likes For Johnk3:
Old 10-01-20, 10:42 AM
Mulberry20

lovely!!!!! very tasteful bike.
Old 10-01-20, 01:53 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I could be wrong, but I think it was due top the trade wars. Recent studies found that steel was vastly superior in downhill speed and major manufacturers were poised to shift the majority of their production to steel. No amount of pedaling could overcome this advantage. This coupled with e-assist for climbing made it a true win-win.

Maybe someday when things get back to normal.

John
There is no could be about it.
Old 10-01-20, 03:56 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Look at their Facebook page and Instagram pages for photos of all the XCr frames they have made. There are lots of options to consider. Barco can put together the whole bike for you as well. They gave me a very good price on Campy group set. I had them get WR Composoti CF parts ( made to order in Italy and available in matching paint if you want. WR makes CF parts for Ferrari and Lamborghini) WR makes wheels and bike frames and saddles as well as handlebars, stems and seatposts. Their prices are quite reasonable.

By the way, Campy has a new 13 speed groupset with single chainring for gravel bikes it is called "Ekar."

Thats a gorgeous bike. What kind of steel is that and bikes total weight ?
Old 10-01-20, 04:56 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by jay4usc
I would love to know the weight too. One of the Barco sons who I am working with said without disk brakes they could get it below 17lbs with the WR carbon that is on that bike as well as carbon wheels. There is a review of a bike like that online where it came in at 17.8lbs even with the stainless fork.

That frame is Columbus XCR stainless but they do them in Spirit and steel/carbon tubing combinations as well. It is such a great story. Mom cuts and miters and dad and the uncle weld.
Old 10-01-20, 05:23 PM
Mulberry20

This is the steel/carbon frame. Drooling.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-01-20, 05:44 PM
Johnk3

The bike is made of TIG welded Columbus XCr stainless steel. It is one of Columbus's newest steels, only available for about 12 years and as steel tube sets go, it is pretty expensive, I believe the MSRP for a tube set is about $900. It is very thin, very strong, triple butted, cold drawn and seamless, not rolled and welded. It is made in Italy.

My bike weighs 18.675 lbs with the pedals. It is a size 58.5 cm and has a stainless steel fork with a carbon fiber steering tube that is Barco's own design and invention. I could have cut off more weight by getting a carbon saddle and light weight wheels, but I weigh about 215 lbs and ride on some rough country roads with cattle guards, so delicate wheels were out of the question. .
Old 10-01-20, 05:49 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I went with the Viva fork with the carbon steering tube. It saves a lot of weight over the steel tube version. I also went with direct mount brakes which are a big improvement over regular rim brakes and far better looking than disc brakes( UGLY) far easier to maintain, and cheaper.
I've never heard of Campy being described as "cheaper," but it is definitely a nice-looking setup.Stainless steel is unusual for a fork.
Old 10-01-20, 05:53 PM
Mulberry20

The price of the frame is about $4,000 with that fork in XCR, correct?
Old 10-01-20, 06:18 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
The bike is made of TIG welded Columbus XCr stainless steel. It is one of Columbus's newest steels, only available for about 12 years and as steel tube sets go, it is pretty expensive, I believe the MSRP for a tube set is about $900. It is very thin, very strong, triple butted, cold drawn and seamless, not rolled and welded. It is made in Italy.

My bike weighs 18.675 lbs with the pedals. It is a size 58.5 cm and has a stainless steel fork with a carbon fiber steering tube that is Barco's own design and invention. I could have cut off more weight by getting a carbon saddle and light weight wheels, but I weigh about 215 lbs and ride on some rough country roads with cattle guards, so delicate wheels were out of the question. .
Nice bike. As another option, a person could go for a tig-welded frame made of the latest heat-treated and air-hardened steel and a cf fork and get to within a pound of that weight -- and for a lot less money. Even lugged construction would get you there for less dough. But I admit that SS does have its appeal.
Old 10-01-20, 06:41 PM
Johnk3

Originally Posted by Koyote
Nice bike. As another option, a person could go for a tig-welded frame made of the latest heat-treated and air-hardened steel and a cf fork and get to within a pound of that weight -- and for a lot less money. Even lugged construction would get you there for less dough. But I admit that SS does have its appeal.
Barco makes steel frames of anything you want. They like to use stainless steel for lugs to avoid weight and problems with chrome. They will also use CF forks. BUT, if you are getting a custom made bike with all that makes possible, cutting corners may not give you what will ultimately make you happy. You may be surprised at how affordable Barco is. I started off wanting a classic lugged frame, but in stainless. Then I realized, I already have two classic lugged steel Italian bikes. So, I decided to go fully modern and up to date with the best and lightest metal and technique. That is TIG welded Columbus XCr, their Viva fork and direct mount brakes. I believe you will soon start seeing direct mount brakes replacing disc brakes for a lot of reasons.
Old 10-01-20, 06:48 PM
Johnk3

The price of the frame is about $4,000 with that fork in XCR, correct?
My frame was $3,600 including shipping, the Viva fork with CF steering tube, Chris King headset, direct mount brakes, name plaque, Italian shield, nickel head badge and extra paint colors. I'm not sure if I could have had any more options other than exotic paint. But, I ordered my frame almost a year ago so prices may have changed.
Likes For Johnk3:
Old 10-01-20, 06:53 PM
Mulberry20

[QUOTE=Johnk3;21723540]My frame was $3,600 including shipping, the Viva fork with CF steering tube, Chris King headset, direct mount brakes, name plaque, Italian shield, nickel head badge and extra paint colors. I'm not sure if I could have had any more options other than exotic paint. But, I ordered my frame almost a year ago so prices may have changed.[/

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.