Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a stolen bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a stolen bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 05:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The logic of posting this meme here sucks.

If you buy it, you're jumping to the conclusion it's ok. If you don't buy it, you're risking erring on the side of caution, which is a vanishingly small cost in this case. If you suggest someone should investigate it, you're not jumping to anything, but leaving the conclusion to someone else.
Old 10-31-20, 06:13 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Really dumb idea. If it gets seized as evidence, op will be out the money he paid for it. And I really don't want to argue the rather obvious moral issues you're just skipping over.
I'm hardly skipping over the moral issue - I'm addressing it head on. This item is being offered for sale publicly, for all to see. There is nothing underhanded occurring at all. The seller may very well be a scumbag and if you just don't want to do business with scumbags, that's a different story. But to avoid buying this bike and letting someone else pick it up instead, just because you have a "bad feeling" about it and you think it might be stolen, is just silly. Do you pass up a garage sale find, just because in your opinion the people look sketchy? If it's out in the driveway where the police and everyone else can see it, I'd say you're probably in the clear both morally and practically. Same thing with this bike.
Old 10-31-20, 06:19 AM
Jeff Neese

I don't know why someone would have a cable lock on a frame for sale, but I don't think it's something that's likely to occur if the frame was legitimately obtained.
It happens all the time. Someone puts a bike away in a garage or basement and leaves the cable or U-lock wrapped around the frame. Years and years go by, somebody decides to clean out the garage and sell that old bike, and the key is nowhere to be found. The fact that the lock is intact is probably more evident of it NOT being stolen. Stolen bikes will have the lock cut off, right?
Old 10-31-20, 06:30 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
But to avoid buying this bike and letting someone else pick it up instead, just because you have a "bad feeling" about it and you think it might be stolen, is just silly.
No, not silly, just what any truly responsible person would do.

If you can't see it from the moral aspect, think of the risk you take dealing with shady people. Stolen goods can be recovered by their rightful owner at any time, and crooks being crooks, might put a gun in your face and just take your money.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-31-20, 06:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

It happens all the time. Someone puts a bike away in a garage or basement and leaves the cable or U-lock wrapped around the frame. Years and years go by, somebody decides to clean out the garage and sell that old bike, and the key is nowhere to be found. The fact that the lock is intact is probably more evident of it NOT being stolen. Stolen bikes will have the lock cut off, right?
Not if it's stolen out of a garage or house. Also, I've seen enough wheels locked to bike racks to know that this could easily happen if someone got lazy with their 2 lock strategy and only used one incorrectly.
Old 10-31-20, 06:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm hardly skipping over the moral issue - I'm addressing it head on. This item is being offered for sale publicly, for all to see. There is nothing underhanded occurring at all. The seller may very well be a scumbag and if you just don't want to do business with scumbags, that's a different story. But to avoid buying this bike and letting someone else pick it up instead, just because you have a "bad feeling" about it and you think it might be stolen, is just silly. Do you pass up a garage sale find, just because in your opinion the people look sketchy? If it's out in the driveway where the police and everyone else can see it, I'd say you're probably in the clear both morally and practically. Same thing with this bike.

Serious indicators it may be stolen. When you willfully ignore that to "rescue the frame", you are creating the demand for the product and are therefore morally complicit. "They could find it if they happen upon it" is not an excuse for knowingly encouraging the trade in stolen goods.

And I'd absolutely pass up a "good deal" on the street if the seller seemed sketchy, that's nuts. Pretty sure you and I have very different moral compasses and, frankly, I'd question whether you lack basic common sense if you're frequently buying "too good to be true" deals from shady strangers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 07:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
No, not silly, just what any truly responsible person would do.

If you can't see it from the moral aspect, think of the risk you take dealing with shady people. Stolen goods can be recovered by their rightful owner at any time, and crooks being crooks, might put a gun in your face and just take your money.

It's really stupid from a legal perspective as well. Someone who gets busted selling stolen goods could try to plead their way out of it by setting up buyers for the cops.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 07:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Kinda skipping the part about the cable lock, aren't you? That's pretty damn suspicious.
Unless the seller has the key/combination to open that lock.
Old 10-31-20, 07:25 AM
Jeff Neese

Serious indicators it may be stolen. When you willfully ignore that to "rescue the frame", you are creating the demand for the product and are therefore morally complicit. "They could find it if they happen upon it" is not an excuse for knowingly encouraging the trade in stolen goods.

And I'd absolutely pass up a "good deal" on the street if the seller seemed sketchy, that's nuts. Pretty sure you and I have very different moral compasses and, frankly, I'd question whether you lack basic common sense if you're frequently buying "too good to be true" deals from shady strangers.
I think we're talking about two different scenarios. I am in 100% agreement with you, if this is a situation where somebody pulls me aside and says "You looking for a nice bike? I've got some out in the garage - come take a look" and then he unlocks the garage so I can see what he's got.

We're talking about someone that has publicly offered something for sale, that anyone can come and examine, and purchase legally. He probably even posted a picture of it in the listing. What actual reason is there for thinking this bike is stolen? What I'm hearing is that because the guy has a drug problem, people are jumping to the conclusion that anything he sells must be stolen. Ridiculous.
Old 10-31-20, 07:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Unless the seller has the key/combination to open that lock.
There are a million reasons why the key or combination might be lost, if a bike is put away and forgotten about for a long time.
Old 10-31-20, 07:44 AM
Jeff Neese

It's really stupid from a legal perspective as well. Someone who gets busted selling stolen goods could try to plead their way out of it by setting up buyers for the cops.
If you had serious reason to think that a bike might have been stolen, a quick call to the police department would take care of that. Tell them what it is you're planning to buy and from whom, the make and model and color, and then they'll tell you whether one of those has been reported stolen or they'll give you the all-clear to go ahead and buy the bike.

They'll tell you that most stolen bicycles do not end up brazenly posted on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, but they will thank you for your concern. Then they'll tell you to go ahead and buy the bike.
Old 10-31-20, 07:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think we're talking about two different scenarios. I am in 100% agreement with you, if this is a situation where somebody pulls me aside and says "You looking for a nice bike? I've got some out in the garage - come take a look" and then he unlocks the garage so I can see what he's got.

We're talking about someone that has publicly offered something for sale, that anyone can come and examine, and purchase legally. He probably even posted a picture of it in the listing. What actual reason is there for thinking this bike is stolen? What I'm hearing is that because the guy has a drug problem, people are jumping to the conclusion that anything he sells must be stolen. Ridiculous.

A. Not jumping to conclusions at all, there's enough there that I cannot safely assume it's not stolen. I'm going to err on the side of not buying stolen goods any day. And yes, if I don't know anything else about a person, a recent bust for meth possession is a red flag for me. Sorry, but a lot of my job is dealing with the consequences of drug user behavior, and the stuff that goes with meth use is often really intense.

B. Stolen goods are sold on Craigslist all the time. It's notorious for it. If anything, you're jumping to the conclusion that purchase is safe because of where it's listed. That's ridiculous.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 07:52 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
It amazes me that in most American states you can easily determine if a neighbor has a Criminal record but you can't determine if what he/she is selling is stolen. You can find their personal information but not the legality of an object.

In Canada we have it the other way around. The personal data is secure and not viewable by the public but we can determine if an item is stolen.

Any Canadian can check a serial number. Bike, cars, out board motor, if it has a serial number it can be checked by you, prior to a purchase. If the serial number is filed out or altered run the other way.

If you have a cellphone with data, use the below link prior to buying. The first link is to the general page for "everything". The second link is specific to bikes. Save your search and if the law comes a-knocking you can show it wasn't reported stolen when you bought it. I have told people what I would check the VIN when I got there and I never had a problem. If they said there was an issue I wouldn't show.

https://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/search.cfm

Search Bicycles by Serial Number
Old 10-31-20, 08:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If you had serious reason to think that a bike might have been stolen, a quick call to the police department would take care of that. Tell them what it is you're planning to buy and from whom, the make and model and color, and then they'll tell you whether one of those has been reported stolen or they'll give you the all-clear to go ahead and buy the bike.

They'll tell you that most stolen bicycles do not end up brazenly posted on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, but they will thank you for your concern. Then they'll tell you to go ahead and buy the bike.

Total horsecrap. I was a grand juror a few years back. One of the cases we dealt with involved pimping young girls on Craigslist. The reason they had to take down the whole "personals" section of Craigslist is precisely because it's way too hard for anyone to be vigilant enough to monitor it consistently for illegal activity.
I deal with a lot of cops in my job. I'm fairly certain that absolutely none of them would agree with what you just posted. I'm quite sure that they'd tell you that if you have suspicions, you should definitely walk away.

And ultimately, this frame is really not worth the time it would take for me to find out enough to get comfortable with the transaction. Based on the info op has posted, I'm at the "why bother" point.

I'm tired of this discussion, and frankly I'm not going to bother reading any further response from you. I really have better things to do than refuting nonsense you're putting into cops' mouths.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 08:44 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I agree it looks like it’s not worth the time. One thought. On the same site or Craig’s List did anyone post a picture of the assembled bike reporting it stolen? I look over Craig’s List just to look. A few years ago I saw a nice Specialized road bike list for sale. Then a few listings later a post with a picture about a so similar bike being stolen. Came out good. Contacted the guy who posted it stolen with the sellers link. The Richmond police took care of it and the bike was returned. Not sure what happened to the crook. Does not happen often but a nice ending. On the motorcycle sites victims post pictures and VIN number. So if a possible buyer searches for the VIN it will pop up.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 10-31-20, 09:15 AM
Jeff Neese

B. Stolen goods are sold on Craigslist all the time. It's notorious for it. If anything, you're jumping to the conclusion that purchase is safe because of where it's listed. That's ridiculous.
My point is that you can't be accused of buying stolen merchandise, if it was advertised publicly or sitting on the shelf of a store, where you or anyone else could buy it. If a shop buys bicycles that were stolen off a truck, but then they are put on full display in his store, you the end consumer are not culpable.

Anything sold on Craigslist COULD be stolen, and if you want to err on the side of safety, you need to make every single person document the origins of everything you may buy. Or are you going to just judge on an individual basis, based on your "gut feel"?

I make the assumption that things advertised for sale are not stolen, unless I have a real, actual reason for thinking otherwise.
Old 10-31-20, 09:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
It's a little off topic but OP was concerned that he found out seller is a meth head. Statistically meth addicts have very little chance of recovery. Very little, regardless of treatment. And they cannot lead product lives while addicted. Both of these characteristics differ from users of other substances. These unfortunates have gone down a one way hole. Best to stay out of their orbit, no matter how enticing the deal.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-31-20, 10:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
Ask him if he knows what year it is, he won't. Then ask for the serial number so you can find out. If he ghosts you, it's stolen, if he gives it to you, probably not. Plus you could run it by the cops to be sure.
I bet half the people on CL selling bikes in my area wouldn't know the year their bike was manufactured. And I bet even fewer legitimate owners have registered their bike's serial #.
Old 10-31-20, 10:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Kinda skipping the part about the cable lock, aren't you? That's pretty damn suspicious.
I see locks on bikes for sale and don't think they are stolen. I think they were locked up when ridden places.
I see bikes for sale with stuff on em that isnt for sale like bottles, GPS, and wedge bags. I see bikes for sale with flat tires, chains off rings, and bars flipped up.
i mention this because i see bikes for sale in various forms of condition and don't think they are stolen. I just think the owners are lazy and/or don't know any better.
Leaving a lock on the bike isn't an indicator of theft to me. Maybe I am missing something obvious here.

The logic of posting this meme here sucks.

If you buy it, you're jumping to the conclusion it's ok. If you don't buy it, you're risking erring on the side of caution, which is a vanishingly small cost in this case. If you suggest someone should investigate it, you're not jumping to anything, but leaving the conclusion to someone else.
Its all about what the default perspective is. If Glenn looks at all bikes and considers them stolen until proven otherwise, then the Glenn didn't jump to conclusions.
Thats an exhausting way to live, but sure i accept he wouldn't jump to a conclusion since its his default position for everything used.
One sould ask why they would participate in used sales if they consider everything stolen though. And perhaps Glenn only buys new unless someone has paperwork dating back decades in hand.

The jump to conclusions mat is a perfect meme as it references a hilarious scene of a funny movie and describes Glenn's response. He hears a bike has a lock on it and is sold by someone with a drug arrest and concludes the bike is stolen- thats basically the perfect reason to say he jumped to conclusions.
At least it is the perfect reason for me to say it.

Perspective is fascinating.
Old 10-31-20, 10:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I bet half the people on CL selling bikes in my area wouldn't know the year their bike was manufactured. And I bet even fewer legitimate owners have registered their bike's serial #.
Much less even find the serial number given the numerous locations mfg put them.
Old 10-31-20, 10:32 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
If anyone can prove conclusively that any of my bikes were stolen from them, I would be happy to hand them back over, with a sincere apology, and an explanation that I paid fair market value for all of them, in situations that seemed legit to me at the time. What more can a person do? My worrying is done over more serious things, like whether I'm getting enough protein.
Old 10-31-20, 10:42 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
This has been an interesting thread with lots of what-ifs, maybes and whatnot.

I suspect there is unanimity on this forum that bike theft is bad. Theft is wrong. And readers here are sensitive to bike theft.

An important part of the bike theft ecosystem is converting stolen goods to cash.

So we all should take reasonable actions (like the OP did) to not support bike thieves.
  • Buy a bike from my brother? How do I know he didn't steal it?
  • Buy cassette from a guy with cardboard boxes under a bridge? How do I know he didn't obtain them legally?
Clearly, absolute certainty is hard to achieve.

Point is, regardless of laws and enforcement and all that complication, we need to take a reasonable effort to discourage bike theft and encourage others to do the same.
Old 10-31-20, 10:47 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I bought a $40 old steel bike at an estate sale with locked cable lock wound around under the seat . I wasn't the least bit concerned that it might be stolen . I lifted the fenders and collapsing steel rack and gave it to an old fella down the street.
Not once did I have a thought it might be stolen.
The mindset of some people scares the bejeebies out of me.
Old 10-31-20, 01:57 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'll offer a counterpoint and say sure, go ahead and buy it. Any bike listed for sale has the potential to be stolen, and it's not your responsibility to make that determination. It's not like you're buying it out of the back of a van. It's listed publicly, and if you found it then so could the original owner and so could the police. You can't be accused of "trafficking in stolen goods" if it was publicly offered. Just save the original listing if you have any doubts. Go rescue that frame!
If it is stolen then giving the guy money for it just encourages more bike theft. Plus if it's stolen then you're in possession of stolen property, which receiving stolen property is a crime in most states. Even if you're not charged, if the police recover it you would be out the money you paid for it.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-31-20, 01:59 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
And if you're selling a stolen frame why the heck wouldn't you take the time to cut the cable lock off first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.