Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New to disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 10:43 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
No bike shop lets a brakeless bike out the door if they want to stay in business. Or if they care about your life. Or the life of the person you may hit. Stay away from this LBS.

From this distance cannot tell if the problem is excessive travel or perception of excessive travel. Does not matter. If the brakes do work it is the job of the LBS to walk you through brake operation slowly and patiently. No excuses on this one.

I don’t own discs and don’t plan to. Bicycle discs have been around fully fifty years and there is a reason it took so long to get it mostly right. On these forums everyone knows everything about discs and is very certain they are as simple as falling out of bed. I have been on multiple group rides where a disc brake bike gets a flat tire and everybody stands around waiting to see who knows what to do. This would include rides with shop owners and employed mechanics present. Preferred procedure is phone an Uber. Apparently no bikeforums readers on those rides. My first guess would be your shop simply does not know what to do. Were it all so simple as presented in this thread first mechanic in line would grab the bike and fix it just to avoid arguing with a customer. Conflict with a customer on the shop floor is bad business.
You have got to be kidding me. C'mon, you're joking...I know you're joking, right?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-23-21, 05:07 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I could have misread it has been a long day I am tired but it sounded like it was bought at a Trek store and shipped to a Trek store. Granted yes not a typical store transfer but I liken it to a Piggly Wiggly (or your favorite named grocery chain or the one local to you which is not this one) sending a product from a store in Florida to Tennesee. However I could have misread or misinterpreted.

Pre-Covid warranties in some cases were nice and easy and some were still beyond difficult now a days more have become a bit difficult that weren't always and some have become less than responsive. I am still waiting on Saris for something from a long time ago.
When I bought my current Subaru I wanted specific colors and options. My local dealer called me and said they have a car with the options I want but not the color and if I wanted that color i'd have to wait months for one from the factory. Two weeks later they called and told me they found the car at a dealership 3 states away and it would take 2 weeks for a transfer. this was all handled by the dealer, cost me nothing and the car came with $1400 in additional options I didn't want and didn't pay for.

This is not what the OP did, he purchased the bike, paid to have it boxed and shipped to another dealership. That second dealership made $0 on the sale so they should not be expected for the assembly, unless Trek would pay them and that doesn't seem to be the case since it's an out of network transaction.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-23-21, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
It looks like it's not a store transfer. From what I read the OP bought the bike from an out of state dealer and took it to the local Trek dealer to have it built. Then the LBS is free to charge for everything.
This is not what the OP did, he purchased the bike, paid to have it boxed and shipped to another dealership. That second dealership made $0 on the sale so they should not be expected for the assembly, unless Trek would pay them and that doesn't seem to be the case since it's an out of network transaction.
I think you're incorrect in the first instance, but correct in the 2nd. Though not sure if the 2 dealerships communicated with each other directly. The whole reason it went to the 2nd dealership is precisely because Trek doesn't allow shipping to homes (though I thought in early covid days there was a ship-to-home program in place).

There's nothing in the customer's purchase agreement that says that any warranty and service issues are the sole responsibility of only the original store purchased from. OP has their presumably authorized Trek retailer acknowledging that their bikes come from the factory requiring brake adjustment and that they're only willing to rectify for the $60 previously mentioned. Whatever happens, OP should let Trek Inc. know what's going on, but in the future look for service elsewhere.
Old 02-23-21, 06:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by WhyFi
He's also using the short reach/small hands version of the levers, dude. Again, you've got nothing to offer here - I'm happy to continue to offer experience-borne help to the OP, but I'm done wasting my time with your nonsensical distraction.
I offered the suggestion that someone provide the OP with the measurement of travel for correctly adjusted brake levers. You don't have the short reach/small hands version, so you can't help. Maybe someone else can?
Old 02-23-21, 07:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
There's nothing in the customer's purchase agreement that says that any warranty and service issues are the sole responsibility of only the original store purchased from. OP has their presumably authorized Trek retailer acknowledging that their bikes come from the factory requiring brake adjustment and that they're only willing to rectify for the $60 previously mentioned. Whatever happens, OP should let Trek Inc. know what's going on, but in the future look for service elsewhere.
I would assume that setup is the responsibility of the store that sells the bike since setup is included in the sale price. And if no setup by the original store, any other is not responsible if the factory isn't paying for it.

Someone needs to pay the second store, so if it's not the 1st store and not the factory then it has to be the customer.

Like I said, my LBS has built many bike sold by Amazon and shipped to them for assembly. The customer is responsible for all fees associated with the build.
Old 02-23-21, 07:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I would assume that setup is the responsibility of the store that sells the bike since setup is included in the sale price. And if no setup by the original store, any other is not responsible if the factory isn't paying for it.

Someone needs to pay the second store, so if it's not the 1st store and not the factory then it has to be the customer.

Like I said, my LBS has built many bike sold by Amazon and shipped to them for assembly. The customer is responsible for all fees associated with the build.
Another poster mentioned it, it probably got lost by most because of the distractions, but the majority of Shimano hydro systems come from the factory pre-bled these days, with pre-installed and filled lines coming off of each caliper and lever. If the bike frame doesn't have extensive internal routing, assembly isn't going to include bleeding - the two brake line junctions are connected shortly after they come out from under the bar tape and that's pretty much the extent of it. So yeah, I can understand the reluctance, on the part of the second store, to do any additional work bleeding the system for free.

I will say that, out of the systems I've used, the ones that I installed, filled and bled myself were the best performing. My previous Trek was factory pre-bled and it had the most lever travel, but it was still very much acceptable.
Old 02-23-21, 07:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I have been on multiple group rides where a disc brake bike gets a flat tire and everybody stands around waiting to see who knows what to do. This would include rides with shop owners and employed mechanics present. Preferred procedure is phone an Uber.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You have got to be kidding me. C'mon, you're joking...I know you're joking, right?
We see a lot of wild claims about things like disc brakes, carbon fiber, and electronic shifting...But this post should get some kind of award for insanity.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-23-21, 08:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I understand what you're saying, but who's responsible for and reimbursed for setup shouldn't be a customer concern; seems that should be an internal Trek dealer network thing.

OTOH, I thought the redress could simply be a warranty item. ie. Bike isn't functioning as designed, it's brand new with basically 0 miles on it. However, interesting to note that the Trek Warranty item #2, excludes improper assembly without stipulating 'by whom'. Kinda remarkable

This Warranty Does Not Cover
Normal wear and tear
Improper assembly
Corrosion
Improper maintenance
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold
Damage or failure due to accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
Labor charges for part replacement or changeover
Non-proprietary products (any other original part or component) covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty
Old 02-23-21, 09:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I understand what you're saying, but who's responsible for and reimbursed for setup shouldn't be a customer concern; seems that should be an internal Trek dealer network thing.
Once the OP removed the bike from the shop and did the shipping on his own, it became his problem. If it was done store to store through Trek then it's not his responsibility.

That's my point.
Old 02-23-21, 09:17 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Shimano 105 hydraulic

I did take it back. They told me they would have to charge me ($60). I accepted. They are flooded with business so they didn't get to my bike in time. I took the bike home to do the brakes myself because they didn't seem to care for my small-fry business.
I suggest you skip the middle man and contact Trek directly about this. a brand new bike should not need additional, paid service. the bike should never have left the sales floor like that. in fact, I'd return that bike ASAP and find a different shop.
Old 02-23-21, 09:21 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

I have been on multiple group rides where a disc brake bike gets a flat tire and everybody stands around waiting to see who knows what to do. This would include rides with shop owners and employed mechanics present. Preferred procedure is phone an Uber. Apparently no bikeforums readers on those rides.
thread derail: apparently you ride with a bunch of dunces and helpless snowflakes who have no business working in bike shops. I've been on disc brakes for over a decade and I've never, ever seen something like that happen. it took me ten minutes to figure out how to install and adjust a BB7, it's 100% intuitive and dead-simple. a few new riders have problems but disc brakes are not hard. you have a be a genuine moron to not pick up what to do after spending five minutes with a few basic tools and your bike. one of these days, take a long look at a bike with disc brakes and you'll see how simple it is. in the thousands of miles I have ridden on bikes with mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes, I've never seen much drama other than a Shimano SLX brake that kept leaking due to a worn master cylinder seal that failed after 6+ years of hard riding.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-23-21 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-23-21, 09:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
thread derail: apparently you ride with a bunch of dunces and helpless snowflakes who have no business working in bike shops. I've been on disc brakes for over a decade and I've never, ever seen something like that happen. it took me ten minutes to figure out how to install and adjust a BB7, it's 100% intuitive and dead-simple. a few new riders have problems but disc brakes are not hard. you have a be a genuine moron to not pick up what to do after spending five minutes with a few basic tools and your bike. one of these days, take a long look at a bike with disc brakes and you'll see how simple it is. in the thousands of miles I have ridden on bikes with mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes, I've never seen much drama other than a Shimano SLX brake that kept leaking due to a worn master cylinder seal that failed after 6+ years of hard riding.
Yeah, that's all true...But unrelated to the even easier task of fixing a flat tire, which is exactly the same with disc or rim brakes.
Old 02-23-21, 09:50 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

if nothing else, fixing a flat on a disc brake bike is easier because you don't have to do anything to make the brake pads clear the tire. opening a rim brake is easier than tying a shoe as well, but the wheel just pops out and back in with no faff with discs. I think some people just make things out to be more difficult and complex in their heads than they really are and are paralyzed by their own trepidation over simple things.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-23-21, 09:58 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

I suggest you skip the middle man and contact Trek directly about this. a brand new bike should not need additional, paid service. the bike should never have left the sales floor like that. in fact, I'd return that bike ASAP and find a different shop.
You're missing the point, the shop he's having work done at is NOT the shop he bought it from which is in another state. The shop that's fixing it should get paid by someone for their time. Either the original dealer, the factory or the owner. The shop that's fixing it did not sell it of profit from the sale.
Old 02-23-21, 10:03 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

You're missing the point, the shop he's having work done at is NOT the shop he bought it from which is in another state. The shop that's fixing it should get paid by someone for their time. Either the original dealer, the factory or the owner. The shop that's fixing it did not sell it of profit from the sale.
ah, that makes more sense. it sounds like the shop that sold a bike with non-working brakes should cover the cost of labor, even if that means paying the local shop to do it for them. that's pretty sad though, that bike shop mechanics are letting bikes out the door with non-working brakes.

a friend of mine who works in a shop says the proportion of bikes with warranty issues on brakes, shocks, dropper posts, etc is staggering right now. it seems like a lot of bad stuff is getting past QC. fortunately, he catches most of it before it leaves the shop.
Old 02-23-21, 10:13 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

ah, that makes more sense. it sounds like the shop that sold a bike with non-working brakes should cover the cost of labor, even if that means paying the local shop to do it for them. that's pretty sad though, that bike shop mechanics are letting bikes out the door with non-working brakes.
I bet the shop that sold it would say, "bring it back and we'll fix it". Not sure if the original shop ever took it out of the box or did any setup.

BTW, here's the pull on my Sram Rival CX1 and this is after 4 years and 5000 miles with the original pads and never bled since new.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-23-21, 11:12 AM
WhyFi

I bet the shop that sold it would say, "bring it back and we'll fix it". Not sure if the original shop ever took it out of the box or did any setup.

BTW, here's the pull on my Sram Rival CX1 and this is after 4 years and 5000 miles with the original pads and never bled since new.

I have no problem with the brakes even with heavy winter gloves. But i guess it's time to service the brakes after this winter season has completed.
Without any pics to clarify, that's about what I imagine to be the range/closeness to the bars that the OP is experiencing. I don't think it's abnormal or problematic.
Old 02-23-21, 11:16 AM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I purchased the bike from the out-of-state Trek dealer. I paid them to tear it down and box it up. They sent it to my local Trek dealer, who I also paid to setup the bicycle. Apparently, anything outside of the standard build is an additional fee. That means any work beyond how the bike comes out of the box is additional work, which I can understand; it would take up more of their time to bleed the brakes, when they could be using that time making more money on another job. My local Trek dealer is currently flooded with work so they likely prioritize the large jobs. I looked up some of their yelp reviews and it's inline with my assumption. That's why I went back at the end of the promised completion date to get my bike back. I didn't want it idling for days/weeks when I could learn to do my own work, which is something I should do sooner than later anyway.

Though I purchased the bike out of state, it was purchased from a Trek dealer and transferred to a Trek dealer, which means the warranty should remain intact.
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 02-23-21, 11:19 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

that confirms my inclination to contact Trek. they can and will whip their dealers into shape and should make this right for you at no additional cost. I've worked in three different Trek dealers and they do NOT mess around when customer complain directly to Trek about their dealers' work.

the shop that assembled your bike should never, ever have sent the bike out the door without working brakes. that's a lawsuit for wrongful death just waiting to happen. when I worked at shops, we would have fired that mechanic on the spot with no warning.
Old 02-23-21, 11:24 AM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If it's nothing that's going to compromise your braking, I'd continue to ride it until you get a bug up your butt to take care of it and, as you mentioned previously, there's a chance that the bubbles will work their way up in due course. If you want to do another low-hanging fruit attempt at coaxing the bubbles up, you can also try tapping on whatever brake line is exposed, using a screwdriver handle or similar, in between rounds of lever flicking.

And I'm curious - when you say that you bled the system twice, how did you go about that? Did you flush from the bottom (caliper port) up with a syringe? And do both front and rear feel roughly the same? Front brake lines are short and pretty much straight up and down and seem to be less prone to bubbles causing squish, so it'd be interesting to hear how they compare.
I filled from the bottom up. I know that there's an air pocket when you connect the fill hose to the bleed nipple, and that you're supposed to tap the syringe until the bubble floats to the top, and that you aren't supposed to empty the syringe. I was unable to get the air bubble to float to the top both times because of the valve attached to my syringe; I'm using the Jagwire bleed kit. I pushed all the fluid thru, then closed the bleed valve before I reached the air pocket in the syringe. That means that the air bubble is potentially trapped towards the top of the line, unless the amount of fluid pushed thru is enough to fill the line- all the way to the top chamber. I'll try again at some point -as your pointed out- once it bugs me enough to try again, or the lever makes contact with the bar during an "oh ****" braking moment
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 02-23-21, 11:27 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

I have no problem with the brakes even with heavy winter gloves. But i guess it's time to service the brakes after this winter season has completed.
thread derail: is that a Cannondale SI fork and headset? if so, there should be NO spacers on top of the stem.

Cannondale manual see page 97

Old 02-23-21, 11:31 AM
Princess_Allez

this is how far back my levers are pulling. I'm just not used to it because the levers on my motorcycle are instant; granted I have an upgraded master cylinder. I'd prefer less travel for those emergency braking situations. Faster engagement at the sacrifice of modulation is fine with me.
Old 02-23-21, 11:46 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

I know very few cyclists who would want instant engagement! yikes, that sounds terrifying on a bicycle. I have no experience on motorcycles.

I'm not familiar with many drop-bar hydraulic systems, but so long as the brake engages before the lever hits the handlebar, and it does not feel "spongy," there's nothing wrong with it. from the way your described it, it sounded like the brakes didn't engage at all. without actually putting my hand on the brake, there's no way for me to tell. the "bite point" is a matter of personal preference, and it's usually easy to adjust. if nothing else, it's possible to pump the brakes until the pistons extend out of the caliper a little more to make the bite point easier. your brake system might have an easier way to adjust that though.
Old 02-23-21, 11:48 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
When I bought my current Subaru I wanted specific colors and options. My local dealer called me and said they have a car with the options I want but not the color and if I wanted that color i'd have to wait months for one from the factory. Two weeks later they called and told me they found the car at a dealership 3 states away and it would take 2 weeks for a transfer. this was all handled by the dealer, cost me nothing and the car came with $1400 in additional options I didn't want and didn't pay for.

I think you missed in the 1st post what the OP has now reiterated, that the second shop was paid for the assembly work. That means their hands were on it last and they were paid to make it safe to ride. The onus of making sure the brakes work is placed on them and if they weren't properly adjusted to be safe to begin with they should have called, explained the issue, and asked for the extra pay to adjust or just fixed it to begin with.

that confirms my inclination to contact Trek. they can and will whip their dealers into shape and should make this right for you at no additional cost. I've worked in three different Trek dealers and they do NOT mess around when customer complain directly to Trek about their dealers' work.
the shop that assembled your bike should never, ever have sent the bike out the door without working brakes. that's a lawsuit for wrongful death just waiting to happen. when I worked at shops, we would have fired that mechanic on the spot with no warning.
Pretty much this, a mechanic is training might be permitted this kind of screw up with the person who should be checking their work getting yelled at but otherwise, brakes not being right is such a liability issue that anything questionable should never be let out the door.
Old 02-23-21, 12:01 PM
WhyFi

I'm not familiar with many drop-bar hydraulic systems, but so long as the brake engages before the lever hits the handlebar, and it does not feel "spongy," there's nothing wrong with it. from the way your described it, it sounded like the brakes didn't engage at all. without actually putting my hand on the brake, there's no way for me to tell. the "bite point" is a matter of personal preference, and it's usually easy to adjust. if nothing else, it's possible to pump the brakes until the pistons extend out of the caliper a little more to make the bite point easier. your brake system might have an easier way to adjust that though.
With Shimano road, there is a Free Stroke adjustment, so that you can tweak the engagement point, but it's only available on Ultegra and above; the OP's 105 levers would have no such adjustment available. The pad/rotor gap will also be consistent, so nice dice there, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.