Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New to disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 05:41 PM
HotLap

Bikes: 2016 TREK Domane 4.5 Disc/2006 Marin Mt. Vision/2009 TREK Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
LOL, so many opportunities to comment on in this thread.

OP: I have three disc bikes (2006 Marin Mt. Vision Pro, 2016 TREK Domane 4.5 and a brand new Diamondback Release 3) and none these bikes do the brake levers pull back "nearly to the bars". Sounds like something is amiss and, (as others have counseled), needs to be addressed. Plus it sounds like you need to find another LBS who will treat you with respect.

For the record I have had many (too many ) flats on my Domane and it's just as easy to unscrew a through-bolt axle as it is to remove a normal wheel cinch. Practice a couple of times at home, super simple and no reason to call an Uber...LOL..just be careful if you're using tire pry bars as my (very stubborn) riding buddy punctured his (and my) spare tubes one time by not accepting help fixing his flat... On another note, once the stock Bontrager tires were worn (junk) I replaced with Conti Sport 4000's (IIRC) and had far fewer flats, suggest you consider upgrading at tire replacement time.

Also, try not to store your bike hanging upside down in the garage, as, (at least for me on my Marin), the brakes didn't like it and I had have have them bled a couple of times until I stopped hanging it upside down.

Good luck, hope you have made progress on getting your braking issue taken care of.
Old 03-06-21, 08:25 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Contact Trek Customer Service and have them put pressure on the dealer.

I have a Emonda SLR and a number of Bontrager products and found Trek's customer service very helpful. If they can't get your dealer to fix it they can have you go to another dealer and they should cover it.

You don't want to have "iffy" brakes.
Or an "iffy" dealer!