Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Selling vintage bikes in an over-saturated market

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Selling vintage bikes in an over-saturated market

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 07:55 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
Are you @#%&*@g kidding me? There's not a snowballs chance in hell I'm going to even remotely think about delivering a $40 wheelset 45 minutes in each direction. Get a job, buy a car, pick them up. Or pedal your butt across the bridge, strap them to your back and ride home. I'll meet you on the corner of Nebraska and Fowler.
Doesn't hurt to ask, you don't really know a person's life. I sold a bike to a guy who asked if I could deliver it clear across Detroit, over an hour drive, which I did because I worked just a couple miles away from him and went there every day anyhow.

After that, I just started mentioning I could meet at either point or anywhere in-between on my listings.

Originally Posted by clubman
Who gives a Rivendell to Goodwill??
Someone who inherited it from a deceased relative who knows nothing about it?
Old 02-22-18, 01:36 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
After that, I just started mentioning I could meet at either point or anywhere in-between on my listings.
I also do that and having a vehicle I can slide a bike in the back without any disassembly makes it nice and easy for me. I live about 30 miles out of the main metro and few buyers would venture out that far. Easily 80% of my sales occur about a block from my work in a close suburb or along my commute home.

I've noticed a slowing of sales the last year and a half in my area and have become much more selective in my uptake because of that. It has to be a big margin if I'm going to go through the trouble of getting a bike prepped now. A trade off for having more time to ride the ones I've accumulated through my "hobby".
Old 02-28-18, 11:08 AM
rob_ralph

Bikes: 92 GT Richter 8.0, 01 Schwinn Homegrown, 91 Alpinestar Cro-Mega DX, 92 GT Karakoram Tequila Sunrise, 91 GT Karakoram, 91 GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
The lucky buyer lives in La Quinta, which I believe is just east of Palm Desert and Rancho Mirage, mas dinero.
ssshhhhhhhh!!