Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXIX

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 10:34 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13743 Post(s)
Liked 4,547 Times in 2,520 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Nope. I've never had a car with it.
Me neither.
Old 01-02-18, 10:35 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13743 Post(s)
Liked 4,547 Times in 2,520 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Spot got his catheter removed this morning. I don't know which of us is more relieved. When he's finished his preening and has relaxed some, I'll get a good pic or two.
Old 01-02-18, 10:42 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
We have pet mice and they've had a rough couple weeks. We had three older ones and got a new young one a few months back, but the older ones were too aggressive with new one so we put it in a separate tank with another new one.

Things were fine until about two weeks back when the two younger ones got into it a bit too much and the newer of them lost an ear. We moved them in with the older ones and things chilled out for the most part, except now the original small one we separated had become pretty aggressive (oddly she's the most social with us though).

I guess she got a little too aggressive with one of the other mice because she ended up getting her right eye scratched and has now lost it. She's since chilled out.

In the meantime my wife decided to introduce a new baby mouse to the mix. She was fine for a week or so. She was a little antsy and would run around the cage if the other mice got near her and she didn't like it. She was FAST. However, we got up on Sunday and she was dead. I couldn't discern the cause of death. There were bite marks, but nothing that looked serious and I don't know if they happened before or after death. She may very well have jumped into the side of the tank and killed herself accidentally when running away.
This is exactly why rodents as pets for children seem to have a huge chance of becoming a horrifying life lesson. Everyone I know, myself included, that had such a pet has some awful story about waking up the next day to blood and fur.
Old 01-02-18, 10:46 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

It occurs to me this year that as I mature (get old), the new year is essentially meaningless to me. If anything it's a let down because it means the holidays, which have become my absolute favorite time of the year, are over. I'm sure things will change as my kids get older and the wife and I have a chance to slip out to some NYE parties. My NYE was putting the kids to bed, spending some time with my wife who had zero intention of staying up, and then toying with the new guitar until I happened to notice it was 12:15 a.m.

Still, it was a hell of a good time from Halloween till now. Life just seems a little more mundane outside of the holidays.
Old 01-02-18, 10:51 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Well, I had an interesting break. I intended to get some riding in, but we all know how that went.

I did spend lots of time on a new guitar.
Putry. I like teles. My tele is the only electric I haven't completely worked over at this point (forgive the ancient instagramy pic]:

I was real picky on that one, and was going to build myself, but then this one just was "right" even in the store. I did some minor changes: bridge plate and saddles, and locking tuners, but the meat is the same.

Next up would be fret work, because I really like the PUs on it already. I'm actually quite good at doing fret level/dress/setup by now, but I only do work for friends and myself. Fretwork is something I can do waaaay better than most factories, apparently.
Old 01-02-18, 10:53 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28716 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,329 Posts
My NYE was putting the kids to bed, spending some time with my wife who had zero intention of staying up, and then toying with the new guitar until I happened to notice it was 12:15 a.m.
If the people in this thread are a guide in a few years you'll be going to bed at 9 p.m.
Old 01-02-18, 10:58 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I was up until 12:15 on NYE.
Old 01-02-18, 11:27 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Putry. I like teles. My tele is the only electric I haven't completely worked over at this point (forgive the ancient instagramy pic]:

I was real picky on that one, and was going to build myself, but then this one just was "right" even in the store. I did some minor changes: bridge plate and saddles, and locking tuners, but the meat is the same.

Next up would be fret work, because I really like the PUs on it already. I'm actually quite good at doing fret level/dress/setup by now, but I only do work for friends and myself. Fretwork is something I can do waaaay better than most factories, apparently.
I really only need to add some custom switching to get the classic bridge+neck combo. The 5-way switch is wired exactly like a Strat at the moment. Other than that, I'm looking into perhaps painting over the satin poly finish on the neck to get a gloss laquer with an amber tint like I have on my Strat. I don't know that I will do it, but I want to. It has a six saddle bridge, which is preferable to me because my ears are really picky with intonation. It also came with locking tuners.

And as far as frets go, this one seems really good. My Strat was a mess and needed a full fret level to be playable, which is probably why it was on sale for 33% off when I picked it up. Factory work is really hit or miss with frets apparently.
Old 01-02-18, 11:32 AM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
We think so. It was funny in the leadup to Kona, when some of our friends were talking about heat acclimating by setting the AC to "only" 78* during the day and 68* at night.
Roughly 83A in the summer and the heater kicks on at 64A in the "winter". The thermostat is at the other end of the hallway though and right now the thermometer says 63°. Luckily, we have flannel sheets, five layers of blankets, coffee, and the cat. And frankly anything is better than when it's 120° outside and humid.
Old 01-02-18, 11:33 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I was up until 12:15 on NYE.
Whippersnapper
Old 01-02-18, 11:37 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Spot got his catheter removed this morning. I don't know which of us is more relieved. When he's finished his preening and has relaxed some, I'll get a good pic or two.
Good job.

We have pet mice and they've had a rough couple weeks. We had three older ones and got a new young one a few months back, but the older ones were too aggressive with new one so we put it in a separate tank with another new one.

Things were fine until about two weeks back when the two younger ones got into it a bit too much and the newer of them lost an ear. We moved them in with the older ones and things chilled out for the most part, except now the original small one we separated had become pretty aggressive (oddly she's the most social with us though).

I guess she got a little too aggressive with one of the other mice because she ended up getting her right eye scratched and has now lost it. She's since chilled out.

In the meantime my wife decided to introduce a new baby mouse to the mix. She was fine for a week or so. She was a little antsy and would run around the cage if the other mice got near her and she didn't like it. She was FAST. However, we got up on Sunday and she was dead. I couldn't discern the cause of death. There were bite marks, but nothing that looked serious and I don't know if they happened before or after death. She may very well have jumped into the side of the tank and killed herself accidentally when running away.
Sounds about right.

This is exactly why rodents as pets for children seem to have a huge chance of becoming a horrifying life lesson. Everyone I know, myself included, that had such a pet has some awful story about waking up the next day to blood and fur.
+1. Though I will say, rats are pretty friendly when they're singly housed.
Old 01-02-18, 11:40 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Mice are cute though!

Old 01-02-18, 11:51 AM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

I really only need to add some custom switching to get the classic bridge+neck combo. The 5-way switch is wired exactly like a Strat at the moment. Other than that, I'm looking into perhaps painting over the satin poly finish on the neck to get a gloss laquer with an amber tint like I have on my Strat. I don't know that I will do it, but I want to. It has a six saddle bridge, which is preferable to me because my ears are really picky with intonation. It also came with locking tuners.

And as far as frets go, this one seems really good. My Strat was a mess and needed a full fret level to be playable, which is probably why it was on sale for 33% off when I picked it up. Factory work is really hit or miss with frets apparently.
I'm running one of these (brass) to get it to intone correctly, but I still wanted the vintage sound. The metal surrounding that bridge PU changes the magnetic field a lot, so this was as little change as I could get away with while still getting perfect intonation. If I didn't love the sound that I had already, I might have gone with a 6 saddle bridge.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/tele...el_catalog.htm

The wiring on my tele is a little non-standard (but still factory... they call it greasebucket). I actually like it a lot. The tone knob is way more useful. It's 3 way, but with only 2 PUs that makes sense. You're going to need 5 way unless you want to remove the middle PU on yours.

As for the neck, the current trend with the "hot pickers" I know is the Speed Neck(tm), where you just sand all that **** off. I generally don't, but I can see the appeal. The violins/fiddles I play are all 100 years old and have unfinished maple necks, and over time your hand oils create a unique and durable protective coating that is not tacky/slick. People swear by this, but I don't think it makes any damn difference while playing.

The only time a neck finish gave me any real issues was with oil-finish necks in humid florida where that crap refused to cure. You will never see that type of finish on any guitar (takes 2 months to cure in the correct climate, and won't in FL at all, and costs a fortune compared to nitro or even spirit). Oil finishes went out of style 150 years ago, although scientifically they are measurably the best.

Edit: If you do want to respray your neck, I've got the sprayers/equipment necessary, and probably nitro, too. You would need to tint, etc. Oddly, I refinished my pool table exactly like you'd finish a guitar, just so I could learn the process. Results were awesome, but I may have been lucky on the weather conditions when I sprayed it.

Last edited by jtaylor996; 01-02-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 11:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Quoted: 11987 Post(s)
Liked 6,712 Times in 3,508 Posts
How is this not a personal attack?

Go back and read the last few pages to get a feel. Just another forum pissing contest, also called trash talk among athletes and, um, clearly some non-athletes too.

Interesting post though.
Old 01-02-18, 11:56 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

In one of my grade school classes we had a gerbil.
Old 01-02-18, 11:58 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramona_W
Roughly 83A in the summer and the heater kicks on at 64A in the "winter". The thermostat is at the other end of the hallway though and right now the thermometer says 63°. Luckily, we have flannel sheets, five layers of blankets, coffee, and the cat. And frankly anything is better than when it's 120° outside and humid.
In the real world (and not my idealized ultra-cold dream world) I start with 78 (day) and 72 (night) in the summer, and 64 (morning), 66(afternoon), 60 (night) in the winter. It used to be 55 at night, but I worry about pipes freezing.

Sometime around July I get cranky and turn the AC down to 76 during the day then go around and shut off vents to the living room and bathroom at night so that cold air magically shoots into the bedroom at night. By the end of summer, I'm turning the AC down to 68 at night.

When it's not excessively cold, I've been known to shut off the heat to the bedroom in the winter or keep the window open just a crack.

But I've learned that it's the dewpoint that gets me more than the actual temperature, as I did just fine in arid climates without AC. I'm considering getting a large dehumidifier for the bedroom this summer.
Old 01-02-18, 11:59 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The only contest I ever won was in 3rd grade, when I got to take the class guinea pig home for Christmas break.

It was awful. It started squeaking up a storm every night around 11PM. My parents put it in the guest room.
Old 01-02-18, 11:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,740 Times in 7,401 Posts
I went to a real crunchy granola elementary school. Over the years we had gerbils, hamsters and guinea pigs. One time we had a female guinea pig with a couple of babies. We used to handle the babies a lot. One morning we came to school to find that the mother had killed the babies. Ripped them to shreds.
Old 01-02-18, 12:15 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
The only contest I ever won was in 3rd grade, when I got to take the class guinea pig home for Christmas break.
This is a hazy memory, possibly unreliable, but I'm pretty sure we took one of the gerbils home over break and it died.
Old 01-02-18, 12:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12845 Post(s)
Liked 7,769 Times in 4,119 Posts
Spotted a BB-8 out on the MTB the other day. Luckily not another bottom bracket standard this time.

Old 01-02-18, 12:32 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by BillyD

Go back and read the last few pages to get a feel. Just another forum pissing contest, also called trash talk among athletes and, um, clearly some non-athletes too.
Don't discount the athleticism necessary to make it through a season of senior softball.
Old 01-02-18, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,740 Times in 7,401 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Spotted a BB-8 out on the MTB the other day.
Was it creaking?
Old 01-02-18, 12:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12845 Post(s)
Liked 7,769 Times in 4,119 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Was it creaking?
No creaking. I did see an empty tube of Green Loctite in the dirt, though.
Old 01-02-18, 01:12 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
When I was in sixth grade, my classroom had two gerbils. Kimi, who was allegedly my best friend, convinced me that a) they like their tummies rubbed and b) I should be the person who held the gerbil during this experiment. A) No, they don't and b) they will bite the person holding them. We went down to the school nurse and she cleaned up the bite. My mom was volunteering in another classroom and the nurse called her and told her what happened. She was a little concerned by the word "bitten" until she heard it was only a gerbil.

Ten minutes later, Kimi and I were back in the classroom beside the gerbil container and for the sake of repeatability- I guess cuz that's the only thing that makes sense- decided to see if the other gerbil was more amenable. No fool I, I insisted she hold the gerbil this time while I rubbed it. We discovered that a) this gerbil also objected to having its belly rubbed, b) gerbils don't care who they bite, and c) it's a good thing gerbils aren't gila monsters because Kimi was afraid she was going to get bitten this time and let go of the gerbil just as its teeth closed on my finger so it was effectively hanging there.

We went down to the nurse's office where a teacher called my mom. Mom said she was already aware I'd been bitten by a gerbil. The teacher explained this was a different gerbil and Mom said "Tell her to wash her hands and GO OUTSIDE." And that amazing compassion is the reason why I'm such a model of mental health today.
Old 01-02-18, 01:27 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Y'all seen the CFB championship game tix prices? UGA will be basically playing at home in ATL, so the cheapest I've seen so far are $2300/ea (for a quantity of 4). Like the boxes are $102,000 per seat for this game. That's not a typo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.