Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you find your motivation to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you find your motivation to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 01:50 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop being a fat lazy **** and ride that bike

no thats not harsh because he's thick skinned

words dont hurt, riding to your limit does, get out there!

ps if words do hurt you, ill be riding behind you yelling till you go faster, so keep riding
Old 12-03-18, 05:59 PM
Kawerau

Bikes: Surley LHT, Merida Road Bike, Old Guerciotti (1980's) Road Racing Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have similar problems to a lot of you out there. Can always find a reason to put off riding and do other things. Am 76 now and miss it but finding it hard to get out there on my own. There are no riders around my age to join up with locally. Cycling Clubs all want to race. Not many Brevets or other rides to enter either. Coming up to Summer here in New Zealand so definitely the time to get out there. Have put on a few pounds over winter but that doesn,t worry me too much. I do watch a lot of this guys vids. and he's not small. 'leonardmlee' on You Tube
Old 12-03-18, 09:05 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy another used bike, or fix up a gimme, or install a new tire ... Then you gotta try it out right
Old 12-03-18, 09:53 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
How to get on bike.

Lessen close calls with cars: Wear bright hunter safety vest, have flashing lights front and rear during day, so cars will see you sooner.
Seditary couc
h potatoes=high blood pressure, diabetus=ESRD(End Stage Renal Desease) ie., kidney desease, which will reqyire you to give your life over to kidney dialysis for three hours a day, thee days a week. Buy lock box with timer, lock tv remote, computer mouse and whatever else you are addicted to away during bike time. Learn LSD (long slow distance) ie, confortable low stres pedal cadence (can go all day not exhausted) and how use gears without change in cadence. Will get to point where bicycleing is your best physical and mental therapy.
Old 12-03-18, 09:55 PM
Happyday

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just cannot find any other sport which is more fun than cycling, for fun or for keeping fit.

Three months ago, I had to suspend from cycling because I had to attend to a sick family member. Smart trainers sprang to my mind. Now I have subscribed to TrainerRoad.

That was an amazing discovery. The workout is not boring nor too aggressive at all. But the effect is at least 50% more than riding on the road.

I can continue riding on smart trainers even when I get old.

For me, no motivation is required.

All the best.
Old 12-03-18, 10:26 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by italktocats
stop being a fat lazy **** and ride that bike

no thats not harsh because he's thick skinned

words dont hurt, riding to your limit does, get out there!

ps if words do hurt you, ill be riding behind you yelling till you go faster, so keep riding
I like you already.

Y'all at least motivated me far enough to get the bike back on the trainer and tires pumped up and ready. Have a spot on leg I have to wait a day or so for...but will be on bike within a day or so to do 30 mins.
Old 12-03-18, 11:00 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

What methods have you used to kick start your interest in cycling?
Bike riding is like another of life's activities like going to the bathroom. You dont need motivation, just do it same time everyday just as you timely go to 24Hr Fitness. It is therapeutic like running, keeping you sane or calming your afflictions like depression. Side benefit is healthy eating on the Keto carb diet, 20-50 carbs max. per day. Be a label reader.

Plus, if you get a new bike every time you stop riding, it will make you excited to keep on riding. Just donate your old bike to your local elementary school.
Old 12-04-18, 05:54 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't been on my bike, outside (regularly) since July of this year. I have logged less than 100 miles even in the months before that. A bevy of health issues and a couple of close calls with cars over the previous year led to a lot of it, but realize that deep down it's just an excuse. I purchased an indoor trainer back in late Sept. as an attempt to get myself kick started back into a level of health that would lead to my ability to actually ride out of my neighborhood. I have spent a total of 1.5 hours on it in three different sessions and haven't touched it other than to move it out of my way since Oct. There are two beautiful bikes of my own in the garage with zero mechanical problems. One of the two is a really decent (mid/high) end Roubaix that I am of a weight I am hesitant to get on due to it's stated restriction. I have a commuter style GT that would have no issue with it.

Even when I was riding earlier in this year and later last year it was mostly with a group of friends to go somewhere an eat/have a drink. The health benefit was probably better than doing nothing, but the caloric intake was offsetting it to less than zero for sure. That group has 'dissolved' due to work and life obligations and we simply don't have the time to get together any more.

My health is getting progressively worse. I recognize it's from a lack of activity. I gain weight, my blood pressure and heart rate are increasing. I see the need to do something and lack the simple motivation to use the tools I already own to do anything about it. Riding a bike is the most painless thing I can do, with the most benefit to me in regards to my amputation/prosthesis. As if the fact that my sedentary lifestyle is killing me isn't enough I just simply cannot get myself on the bike, on the road or trainer to do anything about it. I happily sit here on the computer/gaming/tv-ing getting fatter.

I suffer from borderline diabetes, overweight 50 lbs., cholesteral, sleep apnea, no arthitis etc. and a minor stroke 8 yrs ago. These are motivations to do things one of which could be bike riding in your case. All you need is a cheap basic used bike in tuned condition for the flat land. Bikes are tools for activity and living.
If you are sedentary, you are acting like you are dying or dead. Good acting. Who are you trying to impress? Action takes effort. It is that effort that will charge your body for vitality. Be all you can be starting every day. Every day is a new start up, soon to become ongoing. What do you do? I try to start. Or, I ride.

And walk 1 to 5 miles a day. No TV.
Old 12-04-18, 02:23 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'd love to get on my bike, but this weather has been extremely cold & windy. I have my bike set up on a trainer, too, but I know the feeling... I don't feel like getting up at 5 AM most mornings to sit and spin on it for 45 minutes or so when I could be getting an extra hour of sleep. But I keep trying to make myself so I can be ready to go out and ride when the weather does finally start warming up.
Old 12-06-18, 04:47 AM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I was off my bike for a year recently due to an accident, like you. Had to have rehab a few weeks of fingers, still not right. Ive been exercising with spring grippers. I was able to ride almost immediately, but was scared to ride by myself and with the group. Nobody cared to ask. That made me not want to participate and ride even more. Ive now been on the bike back with the group, but feeling different. Its not the same. Im extra cautious and dont enjoy it as much.

To keep up and to climb hills before the accident, I have had an electric bike. You may want to try one. But the lithium batteries are the limiting factor based on miles. Its usually about 30-40 miles total. Dealers can add a reserve battery. Batteries and motors make ebikes heavier beyond belief, but worth it. I have a cruiser, Tern eLink D7i folding bike, and can keep up and climb hills assisted. Had a throttle put on. Assisted means the motor assists you. Its a regular bike without assistance.
Old 12-07-18, 12:13 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I get motivation to ride every time I go out the the garage and see one of my bikes. I suddenly wish I was riding it. It also happens when I see another bike, or walk outside to nice weather, or look out the window at work or....well, you get the idea. Also, just reading threads here makes me want to ride.
Old 12-07-18, 01:28 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I get motivation to ride every time I go out the the garage and see one of my bikes. I suddenly wish I was riding it. It also happens when I see another bike, or walk outside to nice weather, or look out the window at work or....well, you get the idea. Also, just reading threads here makes me want to ride.
This is true. As I see my bikes just hanging in the garage because of this cold weather, I keep getting the urge to get out and ride.
Old 12-08-18, 09:32 PM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

My health has been getting worse, too. I reversed the trend by going to 24Hr Fitness almost every day and got on the Keto diet recently to accelerate.

I feel good, walk good, and am losing weight like crazy.

I think initial motivation comes from a leap of faith and then, from baby successes. All this is humdrum, but its the best mindless process that leads to something tangible.

Motivation is the precursor to action that may lead to something as soon as your body figures out what is going on. When this happens you'll see it on the scale and it becomes addicting, because you are getting momentum. In time your weight will level off so, you just need to sustain your actions without thinking. Its a lifestyle, now.
Old 12-08-18, 09:44 PM
lkoyanagi

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

While I'm losing weight I'm naturally motivated to ride more, because effort is easier. It gets easier still, because of the added exercise. Encourage yourself to reduce the size of your underwear and beer belly or tear your undershirt for a cat to lie on your belly.
Old 12-09-18, 09:27 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I ride because I enjoy it and it's healthy. What other motivation does one need?
Jon
Old 12-10-18, 09:41 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
This is one thing that motivates me. Winter morning, 45 mile ride along Pacific Coast Highway, Magu Rock. Good times!