Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Now cars can kill you without a driver...

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Now cars can kill you without a driver...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 11:24 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Mirrors should be part of your "constant scanning" too, when you are driving.

When stopped and parked in your garage? Not so much.
Have you driven or sat inside a vehicle built in this century that uses a key fob? If so you may have noticed all the lights, the bright electronic gauges and even the display panels that present navigation, entertainment and backup views.

Modern cars are not like your old Hupmobile...

And again, if someone is not astute enough to notice all of that... I really do not want them driving on the road where they might encounter objects smaller than city buses... that they have to observe and avoid... like pedestrians and cyclists.
Old 05-20-18, 12:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Have you driven or sat inside a vehicle built in this century that uses a key fob? If so you may have noticed all the lights, the bright electronic gauges and even the display panels that present navigation, entertainment and backup views.

Modern cars are not like your old Hupmobile...

And again, if someone is not astute enough to notice all of that... I really do not want them driving on the road where they might encounter objects smaller than city buses... that they have to observe and avoid... like pedestrians and cyclists.
Me? I prefer people who spend their time on driving tasks, when they are diving, not act like smug techno-geeks with an OCD problem who spends their time concerned about the driving capabilities of other people because they do not religiously check their dashboard readouts after their car is stopped and parked in a garage.
Old 05-20-18, 01:11 PM
genec
genec

Me? I prefer people who spend their time on driving tasks, when they are diving, not act like smug techno-geeks with an OCD problem who spends their time concerned about the driving capabilities of other people because they do not religiously check their dashboard readouts after their car is stopped and parked in a garage.
Part of driving is being aware of the condition of the vehicle. (BTW it is also part of "diving" to be quite aware of the gauges involved, such as depth and tank pressure... so even your typo falls into this same area of discussion.)

I can only assume that you have NOT been in a current century vehicle and therefore have no idea of the status indicators in said vehicles. Driving is a full immersion situation... requiring attention to not only objects outside the vehicle, but also the condition of the vehicle... such as the speed of the vehicle... which is nominally displayed on a dashboard indicator.

I believe even the ancient Hupmobile even had a speedometer on the dashboard. Maybe even a tachometer, which would indicate the running engine speed in RPMs. Or perhaps an engine status meter that would indicate if the engine was approaching a dangerous temperature... which would be an important thing for the driver to know.

So are you saying that you never bother to look at your dashboard when you drive?

Old 05-20-18, 03:34 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So are you saying that you never bother to look at your dashboard when you drive?
Do you know the difference between driving your motor vehicle and sitting in it after stopping and parking it in your garage? Apparently you don't, which would explain why you seem to believe that every driver should be checking the status of dashboard gauges even when parked, and should have their driving privileges pulled if they don't act all OCD like you.
Old 05-20-18, 04:27 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Do you know the difference between driving your motor vehicle and sitting in it after stopping and parking it in your garage?
Yeah, the difference is that double checking that my internal combustion engine is shut down is not part of driving my motor vehicle, but double checking that that my internal combustion engine is shut down is part of sitting in it after stopping.

I don’t have a garage, let alone an attached garage, but if I did I’d be tripple checking.

What you call OCD isn’t.

-mr. bill
Old 05-20-18, 04:36 PM
genec
genec

Do you know the difference between driving your motor vehicle and sitting in it after stopping and parking it in your garage? Apparently you don't, which would explain why you seem to believe that every driver should be checking the status of dashboard gauges even when parked, and should have their driving privileges pulled if they don't act all OCD like you.
Sure I know the difference... and I also know that I look right at the dashboard when I reach up to hit that start/stop button... As the car is sitting in park, in my garage, and I have nothing else to draw my attention, except my hand, reaching for that button, on the dashboard, right next to all those status lights and gauges. And I see the car turn off and all those lights go off and gauges go to rest. A simple observation, compared to what I have just done... which is driving the public roads. But then, hey, I pay attention to what I am doing... rather than blindly get out of the car in a mindless haze, like you and at least 14 other people have done.

As far as OCD... no more "obsessed" than any other attentive driver... You know, like all the other folks that don't die... because they actually turn their cars off, in the garage. Guess they're all "OCD" too, huh?

How's the Hupmobile doing? Did ya notice the "Danger" label on the heat gauge?
Old 06-05-18, 10:56 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
If I might, while this thread works up to its second wind, in 2018 there really should not be any need for this thread because there should not be anything called a domestic utility automobile that is still powered by an internal combustion engine. I don't want to hear it. It is past the time when the entire fleet of cars, trucks, buses, diesel locomotives and yard equipment be migrated to all electric platforms. In the time it would take to develop ignition timeouts, or dangerous external (internal) CO2 conditions and etc. In that same time we could craft legislation to outlaw the continued development and manufacture of internal combustion engines for transportation or Home and Garden uses. If/When this is done, Heart and Lung Disease and also Cancer rates fall dramatically, Global Warming predictions revert to more optimistic outlooks, and the longevity metrics of all countries but the United States in particular turn upward once again. What's not to like?
Old 06-05-18, 08:24 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
A decade ago, I thought electric engines would be a much larger market segment by now. But I'm hopeful that in another decade it will finally come about. Just a few more jumps in storage and recharging technology should make them viable enough to catch on.
Old 06-14-18, 02:54 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It is past the time when the entire fleet of cars, trucks, buses, diesel locomotives and yard equipment be migrated to all electric platforms.
So, external combustion coal power is somehow better?

How about doing your part to clean up the air by quitting whatever you're smoking.
Old 06-14-18, 05:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
it's interesting that this is a problem. Most newer cars have low enough CO emissions that it's difficult to kill yourself with one, unlike a few decades ago. I'm pretty used to keyless ignition, but I still leave my car on occasionally. It makes a big fuss when that happens though, I have never left it on after I got out of the car and that happened.
Old 06-14-18, 08:53 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
So, external combustion coal power is somehow better?

How about doing your part to clean up the air by quitting whatever you're smoking.
Can a coal plant run on electricity? Who is the one under the influence of something here?