Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saddle design...which works the best ?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Saddle design...which works the best ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 01:06 PM
BILLB58

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What works best for you is a very personal decision. What is a nightmare for you may be the best thing for someone else and vice versa.
Having said that, I think I like my Brooks B17. With 26,979 miles on it, I think I will keep it.
Old 10-28-11, 01:56 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I have pretty narrow sit bones (117mm).
The best conventional narrow saddle that I've used (for bars below the saddle level) was a Selle Italia Max Fite with a perineal cutout. It DOES make a difference for more aggressive saddle-bar drop. Very close behind was an early Selle Italia SLR model. I did very long rides on both and found them to work for me.

I've been riding a Brooks B-17 narrow and a Swift for a couple of years now and like them both. And no, I did not buy them because they are "trendy". Both saddles are quite comfy for me. I've treated both with proofide and do not cover them in the rain. It is sort of a litmus test for me, because if this ends up ruining them, then I will move on to another saddle. As comfortable as they are, I prefer to have a 0 maintenance saddle. That said, they are both in great condition despite my lack of care in the wet.
Old 10-28-11, 03:48 PM
Llamero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that whether it's gel, foam, or what have you, all saddles have a break-in period before they become perfect. When I went to buy my first replacement saddle, after I'd completely worn out the stock hard foam saddle on my bike, I couldn't find any that were as comfortable. I tried everything in the shop, and that's when the owner explained that all seats require a certain degree of break-in. My old saddle was broken in, so of course it was going to be more comfortable than anything new. So, what you need to do is find a seat that may not be perfectly comfortable, but has the most potential (i.e. the width feels right, nothing rubbing in odd areas, etc.) then break it in. Whatever the saddle is made of, I've always found it becomes that perfect saddle again after the first few hundred miles or so.
Old 10-28-11, 03:58 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Llamero
I've found that whether it's gel, foam, or what have you, all saddles have a break-in period before they become perfect. When I went to buy my first replacement saddle, after I'd completely worn out the stock hard foam saddle on my bike, I couldn't find any that were as comfortable. I tried everything in the shop, and that's when the owner explained that all seats require a certain degree of break-in. My old saddle was broken in, so of course it was going to be more comfortable than anything new. So, what you need to do is find a seat that may not be perfectly comfortable, but has the most potential (i.e. the width feels right, nothing rubbing in odd areas, etc.) then break it in. Whatever the saddle is made of, I've always found it becomes that perfect saddle again after the first few hundred miles or so.
That's interesting because on this forum I've been told that synthetic saddles don't break in- either they're comfy or not. I wonder which is true.
Old 10-28-11, 04:04 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo
That's interesting because on this forum I've been told that synthetic saddles don't break in- either they're comfy or not. I wonder which is true.
Maybe it's the butt that needs breaking in more than the saddle.