Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-16, 12:06 AM
yodabiri

Bikes: 2009 BMC SL01, 1994 Specialized M2 Road, 1980 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1994 GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo1983
So nice, such a great colour and choice of components.
I love the color combination and the frame was in near perfect condition when I found it on craigslist. I am running a shimano 10 spd cassette, so shifting is not as crisp as it could be, but I'm still fiddling with the adjustments.
Old 12-14-16, 09:01 AM
onesojourner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys. I am going to undertake this project in January. Am I right in assuming that most Japanese/Taiwanese steel bikes need the Shimano BB-R60 ENG and a 28.6/31.8 derailleur?

Also can any one comment when the best time to buy would be? I finally have the cash set back but the prices now are higher than I have seen all summer.
Old 12-14-16, 02:03 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by onesojourner
Hey guys. I am going to undertake this project in January. Am I right in assuming that most Japanese/Taiwanese steel bikes need the Shimano BB-R60 ENG and a 28.6/31.8 derailleur?

Also can any one comment when the best time to buy would be? I finally have the cash set back but the prices now are higher than I have seen all summer.
You might want to describe in detail what "this project" is to get answers to your questions.

And no, a BB-R60 (one of the many, confusing, external bearing bottom brackets) is not needed on a vintage bike, regardless of origin, unless that's what is compatible with the crankset you've selected.

The size of the front derailleur clamp is dictated by the diameter of the seat tube. Many C&V bikes will use a 28.6mm clamp but measure first. Front indexed shifters, especially Shimano, can be picky about which FD to use, but Campagnolo are not.

Time to buy what?
Old 12-14-16, 02:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I used that BB for my Ultegra Hollowtech II cranks, but it depends on which cranks you'll use.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-14-16, 06:19 PM
onesojourner

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry... details:
1991 specialized sirrus seat tube 1 5/32"
I am Looking at a complete shimano 5800 groupset. Sram rival is also on the radar.

Originally Posted by Dfrost
You might want to describe in detail what "this project" is to get answers to your questions.

And no, a BB-R60 (one of the many, confusing, external bearing bottom brackets) is not needed on a vintage bike, regardless of origin, unless that's what is compatible with the crankset you've selected.

The size of the front derailleur clamp is dictated by the diameter of the seat tube. Many C&V bikes will use a 28.6mm clamp but measure first. Front indexed shifters, especially Shimano, can be picky about which FD to use, but Campagnolo are not.

Time to buy what?
Old 12-14-16, 06:31 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
The Sirrus is a steel frame with standard size tubing, right? 1-5/32" is just over 28.6mm (1-1/8"), certainly smaller than 31.8mm (1-1/4"), typical of aluminum and OS steel frames.
Old 12-15-16, 11:40 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Potenza is now available in silver. Could be a great looking option for that retro roadie project you are considering for this winter.
Old 12-15-16, 11:18 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Potenza is now available in silver. Could be a great looking option for that retro roadie project you are considering for this winter.
A little wacky, but I wouldn't turn it down:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/12/14...lished-silver/

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-16-16, 12:46 PM
yipyipyip

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
A little wacky, but I wouldn't turn it down:
https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/12/14...lished-silver/

Hefty, but definitely better looking than Shimano's current offerings. I could see this looking very well on an STI-Retro Roadie (STI-RR™).
Old 12-16-16, 01:02 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by yipyipyip
Hefty, but definitely better looking than Shimano's current offerings. I could see this looking very well on an STI-Retro Roadie (STI-RR™).
To each their own I guess. That crank is so fugly I can't even.
Old 12-16-16, 02:32 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
To each their own I guess. That crank is so fugly I can't even.
No argument here, but Shimano is still more fugly. Especially on a steel frame.
Old 12-16-16, 03:05 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I just think it's great news that Campagnolo noticed the continued need for silver. They can work the details out over time.
Old 12-16-16, 04:37 PM
yodabiri

Bikes: 2009 BMC SL01, 1994 Specialized M2 Road, 1980 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1994 GT Avalanche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is funny this new Potenza groupset was brought up. I recently saw a gorgeous Colnago on Ebay (way out of price range for me, but still gorgeous).

Old 12-16-16, 06:44 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Agreed.

Lovely example.

Originally Posted by yodabiri
It is funny this new Potenza groupset was brought up. I recently saw a gorgeous Colnago on Ebay (way out of price range for me, but still gorgeous).

Old 12-16-16, 06:46 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by kingston
Looks great on the new De Rosas.

I would love to see a Chorus 11 speed version.

I can't step out on SR 11 atm, but a silver Chorus groupset would drive me to the edge.....
Old 12-16-16, 06:49 PM
gomango

I think it's a coin flip.

I really like the 5800 and 6800 groupsets though.

Great value.

The crankset on both is the fly in the ointment for folks.

Plenty of alternatives in the market if you look a bit.
Old 12-16-16, 07:04 PM
yipyipyip

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I think it's a coin flip.

I really like the 5800 and 6800 groupsets though.

Great value.

The crankset on both is the fly in the ointment for folks.

Plenty of alternatives in the market if you look a bit.
Shimano 5800/6800 is untouchable cost--performance-wise.
Also completely agree on the crankset issue. None of the other components polarize nearly as much.
Personally, I'd look towards Sugino XD for classic-looking cranks of supreme quality at very reasonable prices. Their OX series---like Potenza---blends Classic and Modern. Prices are Dura Ace-level, though.

Stronglight is another alternative. Cheaper, but not as nice as Sugino. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-19-16, 09:28 AM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Folks,

Is there a frame you wouldn't bother upgrading to a modern groupset?

Obviously, a bottom of the barrel old frame wouldn't deserve new parts (unless cheap).

And obviously, a top end frame could go either way (restoration or retromodernize).

But I'm looking at my 1987 Atala. It's a mid-range vintage frame (Colombus Cromor, Campy Victory, 2x6, downtube friction). It's been modded (as an experiment in kludging a gravel-ride type bike), but I could reinstall all the parts it came with. Not sure the bike (as I bought it) would fetch more than $150 on the open market--it was mostly Campy but not full Campy. Nor would the bike (as modified) fetch more than $250.

Another way to frame the question: would $600, all told, be too much to throw at that bike to make it 2x10 indexed shifting? Veloce + Scirocco 35 wheels.

What if I'm already partway there? (In other words, if I've already spent a little less than $400 on wheels and a few parts, and it will only take another $200 or so to get the Veloce shifters, front&rear mech and cassette&chain, would that $200 be worthwhile? My justification would be: 1. as is, I rarely ride it--if I upgraded to Veloce, I would probably ride it a lot more, 2. it's really just a spare for when my father-in-law is in town, 3. I might gift it to my brother who just moved to the area. For the latter two, I feel a little weird about turning over to them a frankenkludged bike--whereas, if I threw another $200 at it, it would be a vintage frame with full Campy mixed family groupset. I mean, neither of them would complain about the bike as is, but it would be more of a treat if I finishing it out properly, no?)

Last edited by athrowawaynic; 12-19-16 at 09:40 AM. Reason: A few words for clarification
Old 12-19-16, 11:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Hey Folks,

Is there a frame you wouldn't bother upgrading to a modern groupset?

Obviously, a bottom of the barrel old frame wouldn't deserve new parts (unless cheap).

And obviously, a top end frame could go either way (restoration or retromodernize).

But I'm looking at my 1987 Atala. It's a mid-range vintage frame (Colombus Cromor, Campy Victory, 2x6, downtube friction).
Go for it. There is a 100% chance you will have more money in the bike than you could sell it for, just know that and accept it if you choose to do the modernization.

You also wont ever get all the money out of a new purchase bike. It isnt reasonable to think that you would sell a new purchase bike for the same price, so I am never really sure why its expected/hoped that one would get the full cost recouped on a modernization. I think that is an odd reason to not do it.
Sure you don’t want it to be a money pit, but if you spend $400(plus the bike being already worth $250) and end up with a bike you use for the next 3 seasons, and sell it for $300, then you got 3 seasons of riding fun for $350…and that’s on the conservative side of things.

When money is a factor, then mondernizing isnt always the best idea. But if you have the available funds, then it becomes a considerably lower priority to ensure you can sell a bike for what you have in it.

This is a hobby…hobbies typically cost money in the end.
Old 12-19-16, 11:29 AM
athrowawaynic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am never really sure why its expected/hoped that one would get the full cost recouped on a modernization. I think that is an odd reason to not do it.
Sure you don’t want it to be a money pit, but if you spend $400(plus the bike being already worth $250) and end up with a bike you use for the next 3 seasons, and sell it for $300, then you got 3 seasons of riding fun for $350…and that’s on the conservative side of things.
All true. I also figure I'll have the spare bike. Supposing I sold it and bought new, I'm not sure I'd have as nice a bike at the end of the day.
Old 12-19-16, 12:22 PM
yodabiri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All true. I also figure I'll have the spare bike. Supposing I sold it and bought new, I'm not sure I'd have as nice a bike at the end of the day.
Another aspect is that you will have a very unique bike that nobody else is going to have. I am not going to say that you would be able to break even on it after you sell it, but somebody may be willing to pay good coin for a unique bike like that. That all being said, I say upgrade it, ride it, and enjoy it until you get tired of it and then sell it. That has been my policy with almost all of my bikes. You end up losing money, but as was said before, it is a hobby and hobbies cost money. If you do end up upgrading though, make sure to post some pictures in this thread!
Old 12-19-16, 01:46 PM
athrowawaynic

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yodabiri
I am not going to say that you would be able to break even on it after you sell it, but somebody may be willing to pay good coin for a unique bike like that.
No, of course. If the idea is to sell it, I won't be buying any new parts. I did tell my wife I was going to sell it.

But since then... her dad has taken to riding it when he visits, so I may not be selling it after all. And my brother has moved back to the area, and he's indicated interest in riding when he's visiting the house.

So it's more, if I don't sell it, I'm thinking about finishing it out--for my father-in-law, for my brother, and for me (since I'd be inclined to ride it also). In other words, I'm just wondering if it's lipstick on a pig to put new Campy parts on an old, mid-level, but ok-shape Italian frame.
Old 12-19-16, 02:27 PM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
No, of course. If the idea is to sell it, I won't be buying any new parts. I did tell my wife I was going to sell it.

But since then... her dad has taken to riding it when he visits, so I may not be selling it after all. And my brother has moved back to the area, and he's indicated interest in riding when he's visiting the house.

So it's more, if I don't sell it, I'm thinking about finishing it out--for my father-in-law, for my brother, and for me (since I'd be inclined to ride it also). In other words, I'm just wondering if it's lipstick on a pig to put new Campy parts on an old, mid-level, but ok-shape Italian frame.
Nothing wrong with that, and it's just Veloce, so doesn't cost too much. Biggest thing for me would be if I liked how the frame rode. If it was a clunker, I wouldn't bother, but if it is fun to ride, then upgrade I away, I say.
Old 12-24-16, 01:01 AM
sumgy

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Just an updated pic of my Concorde and another fine old lady of mine.

Last edited by sumgy; 12-26-16 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-24-16, 01:16 AM
sumgy

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by gt eunuch
Just got done with this, need suggestions on tires to run. Skinwalls? Hrmmmmmmm.... For reference, these 28's do NOT fit without deflating first. They run into the seat tube before they can slot into the dropouts.

Empi 8 spokes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.