Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 08:38 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

Freedom is where the artist begins: there are no rules, and the principles and habits are up to you.
Okay. So, spanky she is.
Old 01-05-18, 08:40 AM
RichardLee

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's with the fuss with possibly faked photos and broken promises? We're used to delays after another.

Was the in-factory photo which included staff not of an assembled test bike or the parts to make one? Could the parts including the crucial rear triangle that apparently caused much delay still not exactly be production-ready? What I'm getting at is yield - how many of those welded actually pass quality inspection? To be profitable, it had better be above 90% unless someone here knowledgeable can elaborate.In the automotive sector, I would imagine it's 100% in a well tuned factory that has been operating several years.

Wait until the next update. I would predict something along the lines of "we are ramping back up after the holiday season slowdown and expect to have the test bike sent ready to be to the tester". Not sent to the tester but be ready.

BTW, given the previous update was December 22 and the intervening week-long slowdown, do you suppose the next update be forthcoming THIS weekend or next?
Old 01-05-18, 11:04 AM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaKineDatFolds
Okay. So, spanky she is.
Old 01-06-18, 11:51 AM
Gibsonsean

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Latest update is out to backers and pre-oderers. Good stuff if a little longer to wait for the final bike than I might have hoped. Will say no more as Helix have requested confidence.
Old 01-07-18, 02:45 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Latest update is out to backers and pre-oderers. Good stuff if a little longer to wait for the final bike than I might have hoped. Will say no more as Helix have requested confidence.
Is it true?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thread's dead.jpg (42.0 KB, 490 views)
Old 01-07-18, 03:44 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
This thread is spanky.
Old 01-07-18, 04:00 AM
Gibsonsean

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaKineDatFolds
Is it true?
The thread is not dead until the fat lady's riding that bike singing O Fortuna.

It'll be a while yet before shipping and I'm not sure they've locked down the lead times on the fat lady (under 105kg of course) just yet. So there will no doubt be plenty of time still for high drama, groundless speculation and outrageous accusations and defamations galore as testing and production ramping hit challenges. And that is before first impressions posts, user reviews and the inevitable critiques by people who haven't actually ridden the bike followed by long term impressions and reviews along with speculation and debate on the growth prospects of Helix etc.

The show will go on.
Old 01-07-18, 06:16 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The thread is not dead until the fat lady's riding that bike singing O Fortuna.

It'll be a while yet before shipping and I'm not sure they've locked down the lead times on the fat lady (under 105kg of course) just yet. So there will no doubt be plenty of time still for high drama, groundless speculation and outrageous accusations and defamations galore as testing and production ramping hit challenges. And that is before first impressions posts, user reviews and the inevitable critiques by people who haven't actually ridden the bike followed by long term impressions and reviews along with speculation and debate on the growth prospects of Helix etc.

The show will go on.
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
This thread is spanky.
Well, okay. I epsecially would've missed Miss Spanky.
Attached Images
spoke too soon.jpg (20.8 KB, 476 views)
Old 01-07-18, 07:10 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 595 Posts
Old 01-08-18, 11:20 PM
unclejemima

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang. I just really want this bike. I just spent all night looking at other folding bikes brands and this one has all the others best hands down.
It’s light, built from an exotic frame material, runs 24” tires, unique folding mechanism AND for what it is, it’s fairly affordable.
I’m staying tuned and hoping things turn out!!!!
Old 01-08-18, 11:53 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by unclejemima
Dang. I just really want this bike. I just spent all night looking at other folding bikes brands and this one has all the others best hands down.
It’s light, built from an exotic frame material, runs 24” tires, unique folding mechanism AND for what it is, it’s fairly affordable.
Buy something else now. You can wait for the Helix as a retirement gift to yourself 😉
Old 01-09-18, 03:26 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 213 Posts
You forgot one major characteristics: i it is the ultimate dream bike !

And like all dreams, it is unfortunately not real

Last edited by Jipe; 01-10-18 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 06:23 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I've being doing the same market survey since a couple years ago. The Helix really is the ultimate geeky fast-folding suitcase friendly bike. (Brompton is a fine machine, but it's spendy, long in the tooth, & tiny wheels suck off road.) My trusty old Dahon Helios will serve me until the Helix arrives, so I'll endure the expected wait (pre-ordered in Jan 2017).

Start-up companies with big dreams....not for the impatient they are.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 01-09-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 02:23 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Im guessing at this stage that we're looking at 6 months for deliveries of backer bikes, and another 6 for pre-order bikes. Pure guess based on historical perspective. We now know that welding of the test frame has been accomplished, and that testing can begin. It's a broken time of year with Christmas and New year and Chinese New year and bitter cold with deep snow, so I think normal time scales will be stretched. Think end Feb for testing completion. Then assuming no testing failures, production can start. It is also known that there seems inadequate planning to be able to proceed straight away with production. While welding development was ongoing there was a delay waiting for frame parts to be manufactured. It is therefore reasonable to speculate that other special parts of which there are many might not be on hand yet. So factoring in CNY, these might only arrive April at the earliest as companies will be overrun with work after the break. Furthermore, taking the huge difficulty that frame welding threw up, that can only proceed at a snail's pace. Perhaps only a few frames per day can be produced at first. As they streamline procedures that should ramp up but it's hard to see how more than 10 frames a day can be done. Adding all these together I arrive at June earliest for backer bike deliveries to be completed. At the earliest.
Old 01-11-18, 10:27 PM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well good news... I emailed and got a reply from them and in the next week(s) we should expect to see an epic news letter.
I’ve still been looking and unless there is some German small scale manufacture hiding out there...the helix is still the best all rounder hands down.
I’ve got a Honda Step Compo converted to lithium to hold me off until then
Old 01-13-18, 12:56 PM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. Drooling over the helix again over breakfast...yes this is the one.

Seriously can anyone find such a bike out there or in production!?!?

It has the wheels (24”), weight, frame and price that this thing will be in a league of its own.

Think I’m gonna put a preorder in next offering! (Supposedly next newsletter)
Old 01-13-18, 02:58 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
This is my wifes custom Seven that was built around 24 inch wheels so it meets one of your wants and will also pack in a suit case. About 16 pounds in weight with a Shimano drive train. Do you have $5500 to spare. If so you to can have one. Total production time from first drawing to delivery was less than 3 months and currently has about 7,000 miles on it. Roger
Attached Images
PICT0004.jpg (41.2 KB, 285 views)
PICT0006.jpg (43.3 KB, 271 views)
PICT0007.jpg (42.3 KB, 271 views)
Old 01-13-18, 04:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 595 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
This is my wifes custom Seven that was built around 24 inch wheels so it meets one of your wants and will also pack in a suit case. About 16 pounds in weight with a Shimano drive train. Do you have $5500 to spare. If so you to can have one. Total production time from first drawing to delivery was less than 3 months and currently has about 7,000 miles on it. Roger
Beautiful bike,...and (IMO) totally worth the price.
Old 01-13-18, 04:50 PM
SurfHenk

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhenning
This is my wifes custom Seven that was built around 24 inch wheels...
Interesting bike.
Do you also have pictures of how it folds?
Old 01-13-18, 06:15 PM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfHenk
Interesting bike.
Do you also have pictures of how it folds?
Interesting...I also would like to see how it folds...

Where is it manufactured?
Old 01-13-18, 07:33 PM
Joe Remi

Interesting...I also would like to see how it folds...

Where is it manufactured?
Not folding, separable. All Sevens are handbuilt in the USA.
Old 01-14-18, 05:48 AM
Jipe

Ok. Drooling over the helix again over breakfast...yes this is the one.

Seriously can anyone find such a bike out there or in production!?!?

It has the wheels (24”), weight, frame and price that this thing will be in a league of its own.

Think I’m gonna put a preorder in next offering! (Supposedly next newsletter)
What is the real benefit of 24"wheels ? Smaller wheel roll as well and there is a much wider choice of tires in 20" ETRTO496 than in 24" ETRTO507. There are no high performances road tires in 24" ETRTO507.

You can also consider the https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...bike-bicycle#/ The creators already sell the Vellobike and there are also nu-assisted and titanium frame version.
The chance of success of the Vellobike+ seems much bigger (and faster) than the one of Helix.
Old 01-14-18, 06:27 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
What is the real benefit of 24"wheels ? Smaller wheel roll as well and there is a much wider choice of tires in 20" ETRTO496 than in 24" ETRTO507. There are no high performances road tires in 24" ETRTO507.

You can also consider the https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...bike-bicycle#/ The creators already sell the Vellobike and there are also nu-assisted and titanium frame version.
The chance of success of the Vellobike+ seems much bigger (and faster) than the one of Helix.
24" wheels are much better on uneven terrain (especially cobble stones) than 20" wheels as I can tell from experience with my Airnimal Joey and various 20" folders. There is the Schwalbe Kojak in 507 which I would consider a sufficient road tire - the Helix (as most folders) is is my opinion not a "high performance road bike" anyway.

Regarding the vello: I've ridden a prototype a while ago and while it was ok neither the ride nor the design have impressed me too deeply. Obviously YMMV - a matter of taste. The vello has suffered from massive delays as well and while they claim they would start delivery in a couple of weeks (early February) chances also seem never to have been better to succeed for the Helix as well now, that they finally have a test bike. Personally I find the Helix far more interesting than the vello, but again YMMV.
Old 01-14-18, 06:30 AM
ladi

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This helix bike seems to be an interesting bike concept. I'm curious how its ride quality is going to work out. Many people seem to think that wheel size is all that counts for ride quality, I hope you all won't be awfully disappointed when the bike finally is ready. It might as well be that the frame geometry just doesn't fit most riders well and the ride does not feel much better than any Brompton / Dahon / Bike Friday...

From the drama of the production process the Helix certainly is the worlds best folding bike. This thread delivers all the best entertainment (suck it curl ).
Old 01-14-18, 06:41 AM
Jipe

Kojak are fragile tires that wear fast.

Vello also experience delay but nothing comparable with Helix and within about one month we will see if their promises are real or... just promises what is not the case for Helix.

Velo creators have experience of building bikes, they were successful with their first mode what is not the case of the Helix creator. And the Vellobike+ frame is build by am experienced bike frame builder what is not the case for Helix that combines the risks of wrong bike design and wrong frame manufacturing.

On bikes without suspension, what makes them comfortable is the tire type and width, not really the size and not for the relatively small difference between ETRTP406 and ETRTO507.
Bigger wheels also increase the weight.

But, as you say, at this stage where none of those two bikes exists, it is a question of taste and confidence in the creator(s).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.