Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 08:33 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
yesterday i tested out what is going to be my new commute, 15 miles on a bike trail! the only pic i took was of my bike though..

Old 12-12-10, 10:02 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by -holiday76
..the only pic i took was of my bike though..
If it's a nice looking thing like that, then you'll be excused!
Old 12-12-10, 11:30 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Change of pace today. 50 mile flat spin in and around the Sacramento Delta area. No traffic (save the last sprint across the Rio Vista Bridge), decent enough roads, 2 ferry rides, great company. Even the weather was good enough - high 50's, no wind, high overcast. I think we got all of 300 feet in climbing, mostly going up and down the sides of various levee's.

Flat roads:

Delta house. It's on stilts, because the land its on is below sea level, behind the levee:

Typical delta resident, relaxing in his living room with a rusted out Varsity:

This draw bridge has a yellow troll:

Ferry No.1:

Up-river - ferry No.2:

A bit of frivolity on the ferry:

My ride for the day - a 1980 Mondia Super:

Rio Vista Bridge, prior to crossing. Lots of traffic, at speed - no real shoulder. Muscle up and sprint!:

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-12-10, 11:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
^^^ Yep, a great day.

BTW, who is that handsome, debonair fellow in the lovely Molteni maillot jaune (replica of Merckx's 1972 TdF golden fleece) with that stunning example of a Chicago Paramount?
Old 12-13-10, 04:26 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
We had some pretty heavy rains over the weekend, along with local flooding in the valleys. The sun came out this morning for a few minutes, so I took Thomas down to Snohomish to watch the river crest. It was only 14 miles there and back, but a good truck nonetheless.

This is dropping into the Snohomish Valley. The floods in past years have completely submerged these farmlands. This time was pretty mild.

There was quite a bit of debris floating in the river, Thomas thought the floating pumpkins were pretty cool. I'm not sure how far above flood stage this is, but I would guess maybe 8-10 feet. A couple years ago, those garage doors on the white building were under water. We had some pretty harsh weather that year. That is a MUP path thats under water.

This is the same area, looking from the other direction.

He's not 3 until the end of February, but He's already a good stoker.

Old 12-13-10, 05:12 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
No real pics, because there was nothing different than the other rides, but I did book and cook, at least for an old, fat, guy. Fastest ride on this route for the year, so far.

I rode this, tubulars and all. It's a wonder I'm still alive:

Old 12-15-10, 12:38 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I pass a couple lakes on my route each day... Now that the weather has cooled down a little, I considered doing a loop or two on the lake for some extra fun - but then I reconsidered because it was kind of solitary, and I still have dependents.

Old 12-15-10, 11:54 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

As is usual for this time of the year I have to endure, I mean enjoy a good 3 weeks with my in-laws in So Cal. Mostly I just eat, post on BF and ride.

Luckily some of my favorite roads in the West is starting from the door step here in Glendora.

Today was day four of riding. Total ascent so far 11000'. Total mileage, about 110 miles.

Sonja and I went together yesterday:

Day 5: Epic ride today. Had to go because a moist pineapple express is hitting CA over the next 4 days, probably closing things down. But even today in the mountains it was foggy, damp and grim. Rode the GMR to the GRR to Goat saddle, a 50 mile round trip with 5700' of climbing. We were sweaty and soaked through from the dampness, so after our break at the top we shivered with cold. Nice state to be in before a 25 mile 4-6% downhill!

Sonja rode her 531/ Campy friction Colin Laing, i was on the Razesa:

Last edited by jan nikolajsen; 12-17-10 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-19-10, 02:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Only a 20-mile shakedown ride with the newly-built Sparrow, but it really opened my eyes. What a great, stiff climber. Must be those fat chainstays and the stout Weinmann concave rims on those medium-flange Phil Woods. Solid performer, that bike. I'm going to be out on it a lot in the Spring.

Here's us in the driveway before departure (finished with coffee and muffin at Starbucks):

Weather: 40F and clear. A bit of remaining water on the roads, but nothing to worry about. Nice ride...

DD
Old 12-19-10, 03:27 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got a nice 2.5 hour cruise in on my classic Dean today. Temps in the mid 20's and lots of ice and frost heaves made for an interesting trek through the wooded parts of my vision quest. Sitting on the ledge at the overlook and listening to light saberish sounds as the ice cracked and echoed off the walls was totally unreal!

Mid ride powerline section:

Overlook to quarry pond:

Horroble timed picture at the overlook:
Old 12-21-10, 03:10 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts

It's the first day of winter and I feel the weather has cooperated enough that I've managed to get in about forty miles over the past two days. Yesterday was in the upper forties and today began in the upper thirties but it was sunny and relatively windless, and hit somewhere around 43 degrees by the time I'd begun the return loop. For about seven months out of the year I manage to get in close to two hundred miles a week but once the weather turns nasty, my outdoor mileage plummets and it's back to the boring old indoor trainer. And despite the regular hours on said trainer, I can't believe how fast my endurance loss takes place. I took my winter bike out for yesterday and today's runs on old roads with plenty of rolling hills north of my home. In the summer months a 20 mile run will barely get my heart pumping, but couple the cold with lack of outdoor training and I found myself huffing and puffing on a couple of inclines! I can't say enough about wind tights and long sleeve merino wool tops on a day like today, by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00577.jpg (101.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-22-10, 11:20 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a nice 50 miler in this morning.

This was outside of a log mill in Brownsville, Oregon. I think they're poplars, planted around here in tree farm arrangements.

Alongside the William Findley wildlife refuge.

A car graveyard near Monroe. Lots of old cars abandoned deep in the underbrush. Wonder what the story is about that...

One of a million steep hills I climbed today near Alpine. The road surface is such that the descents are just slightly less enjoyable than the ascents.
Old 12-23-10, 06:56 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
"This was outside of a log mill in Brownsville, Oregon. I think they're poplars, planted around here in tree farm arrangements."

Looks like Birch. My wife must think I work at a nursery, she's always asking "where's your aspen?"
Old 12-23-10, 12:43 PM
Rob Glatfelter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man these are some really beautiful areas.
I would love to go on a ride with some of you guys.
Anyone know of any scenery like this around northern IL?

Also, I broke 300 miles for December yesterday, I think that's not bad for Chicago and not having had any time to do a "ride" out of the city, unfortunately though, no "I went here today!" goodness.
Old 12-24-10, 10:01 AM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got a couple of lung burning hours outside on this chilly Christmas Eve. Starting temp was 18ºF and had warmed up to the mid 20's by the end.

Ice on the Hudson River:

Oil tank ruins:

One of the tunnels to ride through:

In a tunnel with old mine machinery and ice hanging from the ceiling:

Merry Christmas you filthy animals!

Last edited by YoKev; 12-24-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-25-10, 06:09 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

No chance to get out on Christmas Day, though it was very warm here today, albeit windy. I did manage a nice ride yesterday, on Christmas Eve. My usual route, 30 leisurely miles though Paradise Valley, in the Mummy Mtn area.

Here is the North side, looking East, Four Peaks in the distance. The roads suck in PV, the frost heaves are killer

Up to the top of Hummingbird, ready for the roller coaster down, sharp right back up.

Stopped at the top just for you folks, looking off to the North East. I think I can see RFC's house from here.

Heading down for the last blast, a 40+mph coast, coming back up at 12%+ is harder.

Long shadows, even at noon

Heading back up, hill repeats are good for you. Rich people live up there.

Stopped at the top to take a picture for you folks, the road drops pretty fast here.

Now I'm down South of Mummy, on the North side of Camelback. That's the head of the camel, and the Praying Monk rock formation just above and to the right of my house.

Barry Goldwater's house, overlooking the Camelback Inn GC. Barry knew real estate.

All in all a great ride.
Old 12-25-10, 06:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
No chance to get out on Christmas Day, though it was very warm here today, albeit windy. I did manage a nice ride yesterday, on Christmas Eve. My usual route, 30 leisurely miles though Paradise Valley, in the Mummy Mtn area...Alll in all a great ride.
OFG, thanks for the memories! I haven't ridden in that area since 1985 and it doesn't look to have changed too much. Very cool!

(Yes, folks - those are some pretty steep climbs)

DD
Old 12-25-10, 07:10 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Good to see you got out there, OFG.

Sonja and I had a good Christmas Day outing. Thanks to the grandparents we could sneak away on this, to younger individuals especially, important day.

We went to Baldy Village and back, from Glendora. This is a classic climb with amazing views and scenery, but also a bit strenuous on top of two other big days. Restday tomorrow! 50 miles, 6150'.

Last edited by jan nikolajsen; 12-25-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-25-10, 07:48 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Jan,

PM me your new address, I have some recorded rarities for you. I'm hoping for a 50 mile 6k'+ ride in the near future. I have a route mapped, just need a partner to ride with that likes pain.

DD I took it easy yesterday, if I was really working I would have done N&S sides of Mummy, Sage on the East of Camelback, and the two killer climbs on the S side of Camelback. The 21%+ up Dromedary is killer, in a good way. The lack of traffic is amazing, though there are lots of touristas in town this week
Old 12-25-10, 10:38 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We did a round trip on the bike path from the Redondo Beach pier north to El Porto and "The Machine".
Old 12-25-10, 11:12 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brief break in the Christmas week rain, and I made it out onto the trail by my house. Only did about eight miles, though it is flat all the way. The headwind was blowing like crazy on the way out, and I didn't have more than about half-an-hour, plus a few minutes to stop and take pictures, since I also stopped to adjust the bars and seat on the Panasonic to try to get it comfy until I can get a taller stem. Bars are rolled way up, seat's up and back, and it feels pretty good. Not exactly totally comfy, but much, much better. Hopefully I'll get a longer ride in soon.

Pics:

On a bike trail, obviously... this is the "welcome to my town" sign. We're a bike-friendly place.

christmasridepics1 by snarkypup, on Flickr

On the old railroad bridge over the Cedar river.

christmasridepics5 by snarkypup, on Flickr

Close up:

christmasridepics4 by snarkypup, on Flickr

Speed limits? We don't need no stinkin' speed limits! Honestly, officer, I can't tell how fast I'm going on this machine. I was just adjusting the radio... I was just following the guy in front...

christmasridepics3 by snarkypup, on Flickr
Old 12-26-10, 07:15 PM
.baker
Glass Blowin Pizza Maker

Bikes: '72 Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It snowed early for georgia this year, its rare anyway and never before the new year. I got out and did a few miles roads were just wet with no ice, snow barley stuck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
downsize.jpg (97.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-27-10, 03:16 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
i rode around my 'hood testing out my new 700c SA AW wheel, cross tires, etc.

Old 12-27-10, 04:43 PM
YoKev
hi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice Holiday76

No riding for me today, but better, time to go play in the snow! We got about 20 inches, with drifts much deeper in places. Winds were pretty consistently strong today. I got out on a three hour snow shoe bushwack/hike up at the Mohonk Preserve today. First tracks Man, this stuff was plenty deep in in lots of pockets, and I was literally blown over by the wind in some exposed areas!

Old 12-27-10, 07:14 PM
Peter_B
Senior Moment

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode up the San Diego county coastline from La Jolla to Leucadia and back on my steel Luongo. Clear skies, sunshine, sun sparkling on the ocean, cool temperature, slight head wind riding north but not oppressive. It was a great winter's day in San Diego.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.