Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Scratch Free Bikes After 1 Year Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:09 PM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Many people not only enjoy riding their bikes, but also feel that the way the bike looks and operates is important TO THEM. I am one of those people. Yup. I do Try to keep my wheelers and related items in number “2” condition or better, and know that scratches happen, But I still want to avoid getting And having them. Many of us will scrape their bike’s paint with various surfaces throughout the years, but I care about the mechanicals, the paint jobs, And Me: All Of It. And, Keeping the paint finish shiny and as damage free is a priority for Me; probably in my DNA or at least on a cellular level.
Ha !!
it may go back to when I received my First New bike; I was 7 years old and the bike was a bright blue; shiny and bright as a new dime ! It was THE most Awesome gift that I ever got. Our family was poor, by the the standards of the day, and so Any gift was a Big Deal for me. And now My OWN New Bike !!
So keeping my current bikes looking as when they were new, for as long as is reasonable, has become a priority and one which I enjoy very much. And if someone else doesn’t care, that I like it that way, then that is fine with me. To each their own.

My Davinchi Hatchet Carbon (bought new Jan 2020) has a beautiful, rich, two-tone red paint finish. Almost all of the bike’s painted surface is now “wrapped” in clear film; Lamin-x. Does that wrapping guarantee that the paint won’t get damaged ? No.
But it should help keep the bike looking fine And protect the paint from fade, scratches, rubs and ease cleaning. Similar to putting a tablecloth on your dining room table. I don’t plan on eating off the painted areas, but I must note that I name the bike’s primary color: Candy-Apple Red.

Also use a “Click-Stand” folding kickstand.

My efforts should Keep me Happy And help protect the paint for as long as I own it. At least that is the plan.

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 12-28-20 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-29-20, 08:39 AM
CerveloPro1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When not riding I keep my bike hooked up to the trainer so there's very little risk of fall. Other than that, I wipe down with a quick detailer type before/after every ride.
Old 01-04-21, 11:10 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 789 Posts
I buy a new bike and store it in the living room and just look at it. That way it never gets a scratch on it.
Old 01-04-21, 11:48 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I buy a new bike and store it in the living room and just look at it. That way it never gets a scratch on it.
My new bike is also in the living room. It probably won't make it back outside until Springtime! My old bike can take up the slack and get some duty time for those random days between now and then when the roads are dry.