Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

From 14 mph to faster

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

From 14 mph to faster

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 04:42 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I mostly ride mountain bikes but I have started riding some road/gravel

I’m averaging 14 ish mph on my rides and struggle with going faster.

How do I bust through this barrier ?
Track would remain the most stable platform to compare yourself on out side of technical stuff like power meters and trainers.
Gravel and MTB speed is very based on handling, the lines you take and, as mentioned, equipment best suited for that course.

Go lighter, more supple tires and equipment.
Even then, go too light and something breaks, or has a better chance of breaking.

Getting fitter / more powerful if all that handling and best line stuff is accounted for then the gym will almost always help for anything other than long distance.
Old 05-28-19, 06:38 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Around here the A ride is pretty much all P123. It averages over 25 including some neutral sections. Depending on the wind and who shows up, there will often be longish sections over 30mph. https://www.strava.com/segments/12576615
We call that category "race pace"
Old 05-28-19, 07:22 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Several years ago, some of the roadies turned one of the more popular rides into a constant hammer fest. New riders would show up, not know the route, get dropped and never come back.
So, a few years back, the club changed leadership and they admitted that they had messed up the ride and were making changes. I was very impressed and supportive of their efforts.
Before each ride, they go over some of the rules such as keeping it 2 wide and not crossing the center line. They ask if it is anyone's first ride and if it is encourage the regular riders to say hello. The first 15 miles of the route is "No drop" and they keep a modest pace. At the 15 mile mark, the route continues as no drop but there is an alternate that is a hammer fest with someone still sweeping the route. It has worked out great.
Old 05-30-19, 02:51 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Around here the A ride is pretty much all P123. It averages over 25 including some neutral sections. Depending on the wind and who shows up, there will often be longish sections over 30mph. https://www.strava.com/segments/12576615

B ride is mostly racers plus riders who used to race, riders who are thinking about racing, 50+ masters racers, and juniors.
my legs just exploded! 30mph.....

It really helps just to get out more, i took almost two years off cycling because of forest fires and injuries
Coming back out out at just a month now almost every ride there is some improvement
Since i use different routes i track strictly off of MPH and time but always stop at intersections but if the train is coming i go off route to not have to wait, or you could always take right turns!
This is my ride log for this month, but you can see there was improvement and some lower ones (Friday?)
I feel like getting out there is making me stronger, but taking a day off sometimes is good to rest your body