Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 09:36 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Road bike? Caliper brakes.

Why? BC they stop more than good enough and because you can keep them adjusted and working great with just your allen keys and your eyeballs.

(I have hydro disc on my SWorks Crux and honestly the adjustments and maintenance is really intimidating compared to rim brakes. I can do it, but it really annoys me that I even have to think about it.)
Old 05-25-17, 04:11 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,001 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
What bad info? I parlayed my specific experience...the issue is not fundamental clearance once installed, but the clearance of the caliper to enable the tire to pass through on each install/uninstall. Once the caliper is tensioned for a particular rim width, the amount of incremental clearance provided by the release lever provides a restriction on wider tires when trying to remove wheels for transport, as experienced by yours truly.
Hmmm, valid I reckon but I guess I assumed everyone does what I do if the tire won't fit. I just air it down, remove it, and then air back up when reinstalling. Not something I see as an issue at all since I check air pressure before each ride. Even though I ride pretty much daily I use a lot of latex tubes which bleed air overnight, LOL!

That may not work for everyone but I've never considered it an issue but you may.
Old 05-26-17, 04:18 AM
dumdeedumdumdum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'd go discs over calipers any day. The option to run much thicker tires and have greater modulation on my brakes far outweigh the weight penalty of having them imo
Old 05-26-17, 12:42 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I prefer calipers over disc.
However, when the time comes, I plan on using the "it would be nice (and safer) to have a bike with disc brakes" excuse to the wife when I want a new ride.
But seriously, it is pretty hilly in my location. I tend to down-hill pretty aggressively, and there has been a time or 2 when I thought disc brakes might give me a bit more grabbing power. Sure, I could adjust my riding style, too.
Old 05-26-17, 12:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hydraulic disc. More tire clearance, lighter-effort braking, awesome modulation/feel, performance that doesn't diminish in foul weather, and it's easier (for me, at least) to justify nicer wheels because rims are no longer sacrificial.
All of this, and the last part isn't just you.
Old 05-26-17, 01:02 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Can everything but weight be equal now? Last I considered a disc road bike price was very different between disc and caliper brakes. I'd be surprised to be able to buy a both an Ultegra caliper and Ultegra disc bikes for the same price. I would have expect that to be upwards of a $500 difference.
Disc-specific rims aren't terribly common (because R&D is expensive) but these are more aerodynamic, lighter, and stronger than rims with a brake track. Mostly because they don't have to be built around the constraint of having to resist clamping force and extremely high temperatures, instead they can just be built to function as rims.

Enve's 4.5 disc rims are 30/40 g lighter than their 4.5 rims with brake tracks (even though the disc rims are wider), and save ~5w at 15* presumably at ~25 mph. Now 5 watts isn't huge, but it's something.